PDA

View Full Version : Knocking off Handles

keithsaltydog
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm asking another question,I have noticed lots of good advice on this shop forum.Decent Kitchen knife blanks are few and far between.

Almost come to the conclusion that buying a knife knocking off the cheap handle is an option.For a western handle gyuto,do you put it in a vise & drill out the pins?What if the scales are epoxyed on?I would completely protect the blade wt. just the tang exposed.

TB_London
01-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Most western handled factory knives aren't epoxied in my experience. Just drill out the rivets and the scales should pop off

kalaeb
01-04-2013, 04:58 PM
You can drill the rivets out, or recently I have just been taking it to my bench sander and sanding the heads off then popping them off, the later method saves me some frustration.

mhenry
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
I just use my 5" hand grinder to grind the heads off ,and scales pop right off 5 minutes and you are done

keithsaltydog
01-04-2013, 06:58 PM
I just use my 5" hand grinder to grind the heads off ,and scales pop right off 5 minutes and you are done

Sounds like I can do it wt. my Ryobi table grinder,Have a buffing wheel on one side & grinding wheel on the other

scotchef38
01-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I am in the middle of converting a carbonext Gyuto into a wa handle and I just put the knife in the vise and tapped the scales off by inserting a chisel between the tang and scales.Couple of taps and they fell off.I also am replacing the scales on an Oi Shen bread knife and it was a nightmare to get off,but I didnt do my homework on that one.

keithsaltydog
01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I am in the middle of converting a carbonext Gyuto into a wa handle and I just put the knife in the vise and tapped the scales off by inserting a chisel between the tang and scales.Couple of taps and they fell off.I also am replacing the scales on an Oi Shen bread knife and it was a nightmare to get off,but I didnt do my homework on that one.

Thanks Alan,I just knocked the handle off a Fujiwara Carbon wt. the chisel.Put the flat on the spine wt a lite hammer,careful not to let edge hit the pins.Once one side poped off the rest was Duck Soup:D