PDA

View Full Version : BACK in STOCK - The Art of Knife Sharpening DVD Set

Dave Martell
01-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Heads up > Our Art of Knife Sharpening DVD Set by Dave Martell (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/The-Art-of-Knife-Sharpening-DVD-Set-Dave-Martell-p/dvd1.htm) is back is stock. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/DVD/P1010012resize1.jpg (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/The-Art-of-Knife-Sharpening-DVD-Set-Dave-Martell-p/dvd1.htm)

Burl Source
01-14-2013, 08:12 PM
I have watched my DVD that I got last year a few times.
A lot of things as a beginner I would have never thought of.
I would be willing to bet that even more experienced sharpeners will get a lot out of this.

After watching your DVD and talking to a local knife sharpener,
....there is no way I am letting him touch my knives.
Your instructions are easy to follow and I believe that will insure that I don't fork up my knives or allow anyone else to.

Crothcipt
01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
I keep meaning to give the ones I bought to a friend to watch. Because, he seems confused when I tell him things different than what he learned in scouts.

Very great buy for anyone that uses knives.

Dave Martell
01-14-2013, 08:54 PM
It's also good for curing insomnia too. :D

jmforge
01-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Dave, what about the DVD/basic stone set combo pack?

Dave Martell
01-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Dave, what about the DVD/basic stone set combo pack?

I'm missing the Beston 500x still :(

jmforge
01-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Do you have an acceptable substitute or is that one the shizzle?
I'm missing the Beston 500x still :(

Dave Martell
01-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Do you have an acceptable substitute or is that one the shizzle?

For me this is a must have stone but there's others worth also having as well. The other stones that I use a lot in the coarse grit range are the pink brick 220x (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/category-s/151.htm) (use only in case of emergency) and the Gesshin 400x for wide bevels.

quantumcloud509
01-15-2013, 03:46 AM
Saving up my tip money, expect an order soon :)

Dave Martell
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Saving up my tip money, expect an order soon :)

Cool - thanks :)

quantumcloud509
01-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Oooo anticipation tingles up my spine.

Dave Martell
01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Oooo anticipation tingles up my spine.

Thanks for your order! :)

Drumjockey
02-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Watching my Art of Knife Sharpening now! VERY ******* awesome, I needed this SOO bad (not that I'm awful- but I'm an awful long way from great:) Noticed that the audio doesn't sync so well with the video in some places, doesn't detract from the info contained at all, just a little disconcerting watching you speak... and hearing you a second later haha. I'm only an hour in but I am a LOT smarter already!

Dave Martell
02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Watching my Art of Knife Sharpening now! VERY ******* awesome, I needed this SOO bad (not that I'm awful- but I'm an awful long way from great:) Noticed that the audio doesn't sync so well with the video in some places, doesn't detract from the info contained at all, just a little disconcerting watching you speak... and hearing you a second later haha. I'm only an hour in but I am a LOT smarter already!

I'm happy that it's helping you and sorry for the crappy quality. My nephew (the film student) tried his best back then but he had lots of problems come up that kicked his ass.

Dave Martell
02-11-2013, 08:09 PM
BTW, we sold the last one of these yesterday. Well technically we do have one in stock but that's tagged for a stone kit (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Dave-Martell-set-sharpening-stones-p/set2dmcore.htm).

Drumjockey
02-12-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm happy that it's helping you and sorry for the crappy quality. My nephew (the film student) tried his best back then but he had lots of problems come up that kicked his ass.

Pretty badass for a filmschool student tho... I definitely couldn't do it. Heck, I can't even sharpen a knife without a DVD! Seriously though, thanks for making a tool like this for those of us with a LOT to learn still, it is SO helpful Dave! Now I just need to watch it like 75 more times...:)

Dave Martell
02-16-2013, 05:12 PM
DVD's are back in stock. :)

brianh
06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Hey Dave, when do you think you will have stock on the DVD set again? Thanks.

Crothcipt
06-20-2013, 07:50 PM
They don't last very long. When do you think you will make #2? Jk

Dave Martell
06-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey Dave, when do you think you will have stock on the DVD set again? Thanks.

Soon - very soon!

Sorry for the hold up.

brianh
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I hope soon is days, not weeks! :)

Dave Martell
06-24-2013, 02:49 PM
I hope soon is days, not weeks! :)

Turns out it was just days this time. Thanks for your interest. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010001_zpsf928ff3b.jpg (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/The-Art-of-Knife-Sharpening-DVD-Set-Dave-Martell-p/dvd1.htm)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/DaveMartellCoreSetStonesDVD.jpg (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Dave-Martell-set-sharpening-stones-p/set2dmcore.htm)

brianh
06-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Already ordered!

Dave Martell
06-24-2013, 06:52 PM
Already ordered!

Thank you! :thumbsup:

keithsaltydog
07-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Some great stones wt. that DVD.I always use a spray bottle now, don't know how I did wt. out it all those yrs.:sleeping:

tripleq
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
It's also good for curing insomnia too. :D

It's also great for helping you decide how to style your hair.

Sdkkds
10-08-2013, 06:11 PM
You should make this into a digital download :-)

Dave Martell
10-08-2013, 06:21 PM
You should make this into a digital download :-)

That's a good idea.

XooMG
10-09-2013, 12:59 AM
That's a good idea.
I agree. I live in another country and generally just use my iPad for most media viewing...don't even have a convenient DVD player at the moment (I have one, but it's an old external drive that's not currently hooked up to my computer).

I'm pretty sure I'd buy if it were a downloadable purchase.

Baby Huey
10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
I would purchase a digital download as well.

Dreezzzzz
12-27-2013, 06:30 PM
I woud definitely buy a digital download. Is one coming soon? Or will you have the dvd back in stock soon?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Dave Martell
12-27-2013, 07:46 PM
This is on hold for now, sorry. :(

Dreezzzzz
12-28-2013, 04:03 AM
Is the DVD on hold aswell? I am interested in buying

Dave Martell
12-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Is the DVD on hold aswell? I am interested in buying

Unfortunately.....yes it is :(

Dreezzzzz
12-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Do you mind me asking for it in the B/S/T?

Dave Martell
12-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Do you mind me asking for it in the B/S/T?

Not at all, however, you do not have enough posts to be able to start a thread in the BST forum. :(

Dreezzzzz
12-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Allright. Here is another one towards 50. In the mean time, I will wait till restocked.

frankc
01-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I would be interested in either a digital download or dvd set. So if a list is being made, please include my userid.

I am new and enjoying the forum very much.

Notaskinnychef
01-12-2014, 01:55 PM
link broken for anyone else?

erikz
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM
I would be interested in either a digital download or dvd set. So if a list is being made, please include my userid.

I am new and enjoying the forum very much.
Same here. Im eager to learn the art from you Dave!

perneto
01-12-2014, 04:46 PM
+1 for a downloadable version.

Chef Andy
01-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Just saying, I would for sure buy a copy if it was available.

Dave Martell
01-12-2014, 09:51 PM
You guys are killing me! :D

erikz
01-13-2014, 03:00 AM
Also happy to pay for a download so I can use my tablet during sharpening +1

GWalkaa
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Definitely buy a digital download too!

JHunter
01-13-2014, 05:22 PM
So Mr Martell if enough of us want one either digital or other is there any possibility..... cause I'd be interested

Dave Martell
01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
For me this is tough because I want to supply what you guys want yet I have major problems with doing so while supplying a quality product.

The DVD set was recorded many years ago and is somewhat dated, the quality of the recording has never been very good as my nephew produced it while in college (film school) and many mistakes were made, and finally the duplicating of the DVD's has proven challenging and nearly stupid at times. My thought was to kill this product but then it occurred to me that I'd continue to make it available IF I could go with a digital download.

The idea with going digital is that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of duplication which means a much lower cost to me which I could pass along to my customers and I would also feel less guilty about the quality of the recording - win win.

The reality of making the DVD's digitally downloadable has been problematic. My shopping cart does allow for this however the DVD's are too large in their current format and it appears (although I could be wrong about this) that I'll be hit with bandwidth charges which could be high enough to make this project financially impotent.

If anyone has an idea on what I can do here I'm all ears.

Dave

Chef Andy
01-13-2014, 09:57 PM
For me this is tough because I want to supply what you guys want yet I have major problems with doing so while supplying a quality product.

The DVD set was recorded many years ago and is somewhat dated, the quality of the recording has never been very good as my nephew produced it while in college (film school) and many mistakes were made, and finally the duplicating of the DVD's has proven challenging and nearly stupid at times. My thought was to kill this product but then it occurred to me that I'd continue to make it available IF I could go with a digital download.

The idea with going digital is that I wouldn't have to go through the hassle of duplication which means a much lower cost to me which I could pass along to my customers and I would also feel less guilty about the quality of the recording - win win.

The reality of making the DVD's digitally downloadable has been problematic. My shopping cart does allow for this however the DVD's are too large in their current format and it appears (although I could be wrong about this) that I'll be hit with bandwidth charges which could be high enough to make this project financially impotent.

If anyone has an idea on what I can do here I'm all ears.

Dave

You could use FetchApp or E-Junkie, they're digital download services that handle payment(thru paypal), file storage and the download itself. That way the bandwidth would not hit you at all, but you have to pay a small monthly fee to use them, I think its like 5 or 10 bucks. The main problem with digital downloads is people just passing on the file to others after they've downloaded it. There's pretty much no way to stop this from happening.

erikz
01-14-2014, 03:55 AM
You could use FetchApp or E-Junkie, they're digital download services that handle payment(thru paypal), file storage and the download itself. That way the bandwidth would not hit you at all, but you have to pay a small monthly fee to use them, I think its like 5 or 10 bucks. The main problem with digital downloads is people just passing on the file to others after they've downloaded it. There's pretty much no way to stop this from happening.
I'm pretty confident all people at KKF will not be doing such a thing. I love to buy products from craftsmen and I'm happy to pay for it. Also, I'd tell people to go buy it, instead of committing piracy. But Andy you're probably right as not all people buying the download will have the same philosophy as I have.

Chef Andy
01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Yeah you're right, if there's any community that I've been apart of where this wouldnt be an issue, KKF is definitely it.

Danvil
01-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Heads up > Our Art of Knife Sharpening DVD Set by Dave Martell (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/The-Art-of-Knife-Sharpening-DVD-Set-Dave-Martell-p/dvd1.htm) is back is stock. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/DVD/P1010012resize1.jpg (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/The-Art-of-Knife-Sharpening-DVD-Set-Dave-Martell-p/dvd1.htm)

I'm considering buying your DVD, but can't get to the link to find out more.

Dan

Dave Martell
01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm considering buying your DVD, but can't get to the link to find out more.

Dan

Hi Dan, this is currently not available, sorry. :(

Flyingpigg
01-14-2014, 09:45 PM
Even if people do pass downloads on to other people, Dave would still be making more money than not selling any DVDs.

Chef Andy
01-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Even if people do pass downloads on to other people, Dave would still be making more money than not selling any DVDs.

Depends on how much it costs him to provide a digital download. My idea about using the digital download services is a good idea, but you still get charged a monthly fee. I really don't see it being very profitable.

However, I still want one.

skiajl6297
01-15-2014, 08:59 AM
What about loading it to Youtube, making it available for free, placing advertisements on it, spreading the word on KKF and elsewhere (B&B comes to mind as well) and then having it link back to your website? I bet plenty of KKF/B&B members would view it, learn from it, reference it, and drive hits to it. It could also significantly drive traffic to your website, which in turn could mean more $$. Obviously this is a lower rate of return on your work in the short term, but it is making you money and building your reputation online on the world's biggest video sharing site, rather than just being discussed on a forum. Heck, look at the hit counts for Jon's videos - he has probably > 100k hits on his videos combined - I know that's not the same as millions or tens of millions, but it isn't half bad from an exposure standpoint. Just my two cents. Make every dollar you have work for you, even if it's a low return - still better than no return.

Chef Andy
01-15-2014, 09:22 AM
What about loading it to Youtube, making it available for free, placing advertisements on it, spreading the word on KKF and elsewhere (B&B comes to mind as well) and then having it link back to your website? I bet plenty of KKF/B&B members would view it, learn from it, reference it, and drive hits to it. It could also significantly drive traffic to your website, which in turn could mean more $$. Obviously this is a lower rate of return on your work in the short term, but it is making you money and building your reputation online on the world's biggest video sharing site, rather than just being discussed on a forum. Heck, look at the hit counts for Jon's videos - he has probably > 100k hits on his videos combined - I know that's not the same as millions or tens of millions, but it isn't half bad from an exposure standpoint. Just my two cents. Make every dollar you have work for you, even if it's a low return - still better than no return.

That's not a bad idea actually. I could see some people who actually bought a copy maybe feeling cheated if its available to watch free now however.

GWalkaa
01-15-2014, 12:46 PM

I actually really think that could work. i'm willing to bet that you will make some money from ads but the amount of money from sales generated through a link or people thinking oh i wonder what he has for sale at the moment would be more than original sales. Of course theres no way to measure it! - That i know of.

Dave Martell
01-15-2014, 01:20 PM

That's not a bad idea, I'll look into this and give it some thought, thanks.

xueqi89
01-16-2014, 02:32 PM
dont youtube have a option that you have to pay to watch some video, i think i saw it before

Dave Martell
01-27-2014, 11:55 PM
End of the Road Sale - this is the last time that this DVD set will be sold. Two days only!

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/The-Art-of-Knife-Sharpening-DVD-Set-Dave-Martell-p/dvd.htm

FREE shipping - anywhere in the world, please PM if you are international (outside of USA) and we'll send you a Paypal invoice.

*Note - DVD's are not made yet. Please allow 1 week for us to produce the DVD's prior to shipping.

Dave Martell
01-28-2014, 12:33 AM
Oh and in case anyone is wondering...this will NOT be put on YouTube or any other venue. This sale is it.