PDA

View Full Version : Adding tooth

Jmadams13
01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Question as it sounds. Best way to take a knife that has been over sharpened (well, not over sharp, but over refined) that is sharp as sh!t, but still fights with tomato skins and other items a little tooth is needed. Just run over a 1200 or 2k stone a little?

Just looking for some ideas to try?

Joe

Lefty
01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Yup, strop on 1k or so. It works!

tk59
01-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Doesn't have to be as coarse as 1k. It's up to you how toothy you want it. You can also get different effects with a different abrasive. Diamond, for example tends to give toothier edges for the same grit rating.

knyfeknerd
01-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Switch to a serrated for toms. I don't care how razor sharp a knife is, but after a few tomatoes it begins to struggle and piss you off.

ThEoRy
01-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Some go up to finer grits then drop back down a notch fora few swipes then strop. Depends on the knife shape for me though. Gyuto gets 5k then strop on diamond. Plenty toothy yet refined.

ThEoRy
01-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Switch to a serrated for toms. I don't care how razor sharp a knife is, but after a few tomatoes it begins to struggle and piss you off.

Depends on the cut you are making. I like heel to tip slicing. Works like butter.

NO ChoP!
01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
My ITK bread is magical with giant heirloom tomatoes....paper thin every time.

jgraeff
01-15-2013, 08:45 AM

never had this problem.... only if you have a dull knife or too refined of a knife. I slice tomatoes almost everyday with no problems. The ITK is nice but i dont always have it out. If you have a decent edge it should be no problem.

franzb69
01-15-2013, 08:49 AM
never had this problem.... only if you have a dull knife or too refined of a knife. I slice tomatoes almost everyday with no problems. The ITK is nice but i dont always have it out. If you have a decent edge it should be no problem.

+1

i strop on a dry 1k when i over sharpen on higher grits. just a few swipes and you're good.