PDA

View Full Version : Stories of Love and Despair?

Customfan
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Does anyone have funny knife stories?

- Do you love your knife like it was an old friend and give it a unique name?
- Did you loose a kitchen knife that you loved and just lost it moments before they pulled the trigger? Maybe someone bought the knife under them? (No names please!!)
- Was the knife broken as it was in transit?
- Maybe you thought about it too long and when you went to buy it it was gone???
- Did you part ways with your better half and lost your most valuable possession, your kitchen school knife?
:oops:

Jim
05-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I lost a heirloom hunting knife when I was a young man, at least I lost it in the woods while hunting.:(

Rotary
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
The very first time I ever used the first decent gyuto I ever bought I dropped it. It landed tip down on the ceramic tile floor and broke the tip. :slaphead:

At least I didn't spear one of the wiener dogs.

steeley
05-06-2011, 06:47 PM
when i first had a new set of knifes in a nice case was right after high school that my folks gave me . many years later we closed the restaurant for x-mas
and me and my girl were loading up presents and stuff and we went see some friends and give presents .
were pulling things out of " the car hey babe were are my knifes "
i put them on top OH NO .
I was beyond freaked out i got all my friends out of the house to look and drive back nothing . even thou i can buy a new set it wasn't the point
the damage had been done .:bashhead:

JohnnyChance
05-06-2011, 09:11 PM
I lost a heirloom hunting knife when I was a young man, at least I lost it in the woods while hunting.:(

Is that a knife used for hunting Heirloom Tomatoes?

goodchef1
05-06-2011, 09:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1952dcMwwPs :lol2:

Potato42
05-06-2011, 09:40 PM
when i first had a new set of knifes in a nice case was right after high school that my folks gave me . many years later we closed the restaurant for x-mas
and me and my girl were loading up presents and stuff and we went see some friends and give presents .
were pulling things out of " the car hey babe were are my knifes "
i put them on top OH NO .
I was beyond freaked out i got all my friends out of the house to look and drive back nothing . even thou i can buy a new set it wasn't the point
the damage had been done .:bashhead:

I did something very similar. I was loading up my car and before I had my knife roll I often transported knives in their boxes. It was a dark and rainy evening and I was in a hurry to leave. I had them stacked up really close to the rear door of the car. When I went through my knives later I kept thinking "I'm missing one..." but it never entirely clicked. A couple days later I drove home and found one of my knife boxes laying on the ground next to where I park my car!

The damage to the steel was minor if non existent, but the custom handle suffered in the moist weather and was swollen. I wasn't sure it would ever be the same, but after several days it settled and aside from a couple very minor cracks it's fine. Thank goodness for stabilized woods!

Customfan
05-06-2011, 10:53 PM
My thought precisely! Good thing they were Stabilized.... Harrowing story on the lost case! Sometimes its more of the sentimental value than the actual cost of knives.... I feel your pain!

I am sorry to hear about the Heirloom hunting knife! At least it was lost in battle! I once lost a folder while camping and I still beat myself over that...

MadMel
05-07-2011, 09:38 AM
My first knife was a 240 chef's from henckels. Mind, that was the first kinda expensive knife I bought and I kinda treasured it. At school, they decided to send all of our knives to the sharpener for us for a really low price so I went along. Knife came back 'dead'. Edge was grinded ugly as hell, soft as hell cos they used stone wheels w/o water. prolly destroyed the tempering process. And the worst thing, the guy beside me went and chopped up some chicken with it... Ended up as a 'serrated' knife with HUGE serrations.. This prolly caused my major dislike of people using my knives.

Eamon Burke
05-08-2011, 12:39 AM
ooooooooyyyyyyyyy :pullhair: that story grinds my gears.

Reminds me of something. I had a customer at the sushi bar that showed me his Gerber folder that his boss sharpened for him, and it looked like it was dropped edge-first on a freeway and run over by a train. I begged him to let me fix it, I hate when people have tools that aren't worth owning.

MikeZ
05-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Ever since I was a kid i liked knives, then I got into cooking, then I got shuns which are awesome knives, then for years fantasized about a j-knife.. the hattori kd, finally I found knifeforums, and salty made my dreams come true. I still love that knife is one of my favorites I use it all the time and it makes me very happy.