PDA

View Full Version : Bread in a combo cooker. Tartine style.

quantumcloud509
01-27-2013, 10:16 AM
So I lent my Momofuku Milk book out to the baker girl at work, and after reading that she lent me her Tartine Bread book. I woke up at 3am this morning and started reading it. Halfway through the book I found myself on the 'bay and Amazon buying the Tartine set which includes not only the bread book but also his wifes pastry book for only $32 used shipping included from a used book salesman on Amazon. The 'bay yielded a find for a new Lodge pre-seasoned combo cooker for .08 cheaper than Amazon, plus Ill get .30 in eBay bucks, and I already had $9.96 in eBay bucks, so $20 for the cooker. I am getting pretty excited! :) $50 and Im on my way to making what looks like a fail proof very nice bread. Going to go and start my starter right now. Anyone try this method of baking yet? The place I work at is heavily influenced by Tartine bread, so I know what the finished product should look like. Super stoked!

franzb69
01-27-2013, 10:21 AM
i would love to buy the combo cooker but they cost an arm and a leg here, over a $100. i cook with a lodge cast iron pan here a lot for corn bread and stuff. and i love making bread too.

my father's side comes from a line of ice cream makers and bread bakers (aside from the fact that they're also a whole clan of cops and army type folk). so i really appreciate great bread and great ice cream. good luck with your bread baking.

oh what i would give for a proper wood fire oven with firebricks =D

quantumcloud509
01-27-2013, 10:30 AM
What I would give for my friend Alvin Felicianos moms pancet with Mang Tomas, adobo, kare-kare and her lumpia. Lucky man you are over there!

don
01-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Been baking bread in a combo cooker for over 2 years, with weekly bakes. Should have done it even sooner. The quality of bread from this method is quite satisfying. About a year in, I started only pre-heating the top (the larger portion of the cooker). Still amazing rise and crust, but without the potential of burning myself when I put the dough in the cooker.

Since you're working in a place with Tartine style bread, then you'll be familiar with handling a wet dough. I found that working with high hydration and then getting proofing times to match my local environment to be the trickiest part. A great resource is TheFreshLoaf (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/). While the Tartine recipe is solid, it has stumped people (eg. me).

http://www.carblicious.com/images/20120728_sourdoughboule.jpg

Definitely share your results!

franzb69
01-27-2013, 12:56 PM
What I would give for my friend Alvin Felicianos moms pancet with Mang Tomas, adobo, kare-kare and her lumpia. Lucky man you are over there!

if you want recipes for the food you mentioned, i'll be more than happy to share them.

=D

ThEoRy
01-27-2013, 04:13 PM
without the potential of burning myself when I put the dough in the cooker.

:disdain:
Where's the fun in that??

heirkb
01-27-2013, 10:17 PM
A combo cooker is like a dutch oven? I've baked bread in a dutch oven and it works well. I'm not good enough to make bread nearly as good as Tartine's, but it's still good. Now I miss Tartine's croissants...and their banana cream pie...

quantumcloud509
01-28-2013, 05:25 AM
if you want recipes for the food you mentioned, i'll be more than happy to share them.

=D
Im always gathering recipes. If you have some youd like to share my PM box welcomes you arms wide open :D

:disdain:
Where's the fun in that??
Right?

A combo cooker is like a dutch oven? I've baked bread in a dutch oven and it works well. I'm not good enough to make bread nearly as good as Tartine's, but it's still good. Now I miss Tartine's croissants...and their banana cream pie...
Yes a lot like a dutch oven. I have Tartines croissaints recipe if you want.

franzb69
01-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Im always gathering recipes. If you have some youd like to share my PM box welcomes you arms wide open

i just wanna know one thing, if you like kare-kare.... you have to have an appreciation for bagoong. can you stomach the smell?

i've heard that most non-filipinos can't stand the smell. are you able to actually eat the stuff? =p

coz i will include that as well. hehe.

quantumcloud509
01-28-2013, 05:48 AM
I actually have some shrimp paste in my fridge i like to use for marinating pork in and its pretty stinky :) id try anything 5 times. I think the worst fermented stuff i ever tried was japanese fermented beans which looked and tasted like snot.

franzb69
01-28-2013, 06:11 AM
alright. i'll come up with recipes with certain twists and cooked with my personal touches for you to try out. will pm you with what i can come up with.

=D

quantumcloud509
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Nice! Thank you very much!

C. Wallace
02-04-2013, 04:34 AM
Hi dear all,
I also like combo cooker. I have baked bread in combo cooker and it is works well.