PDA

View Full Version : Mould on stones



xxsmilerxx
02-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Mrs smiler put my king combo stone in the cupboard thinking it was dry. Mistake! It is now mouldier than a mouldy thing. Anyone have any experiance with mould on their stones?

brainsausage
02-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Rust- yes. Mold- no...

xxsmilerxx
02-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Stones rust?
:spin chair:

quantumcloud509
02-06-2013, 12:25 AM
My stones rust.

Zwiefel
02-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I got a little on mine from premature repacking....hitem with the steel plate next session, all gone.

ThEoRy
02-06-2013, 01:09 AM
After flattening, I' have heard some use a tiny tiny bit of bleach in the water. Did I mention it was a tiny bit?

NO ChoP!
02-06-2013, 07:48 AM
A moldy thing? lol :scratchhead:

+1 on the bit of bleach...I've heard of places putting a cap full in the soft serve machine as a mold inhibiter...

joyless
02-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Happened to me once, someone put my chinese 1k stone into drawer while it was still wet. Flattened it and had no problems since.

cwrightthruya
02-06-2013, 08:59 AM
I permasoak my WA stones and JNS 1k's in bleach water to no ill effect. The one time I had a stone with mold on it, I lapped it clean and placed it in bleach water, and have since had no problems. But, as was mentioned earlier, it should be a tiny tiny amount of bleach added to several liters of water. I use 1 cap full to 6 liters.

Disclaimer: I only use this on my permasoak stones (ie. my bevel setters).


Regards,
Chris

toddnmd
02-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Is there a good way to determine which stones are suitable for permasoaking?

ThEoRy
02-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Depends on the bonding agent. Usually stones with magnesium are a no go I think. Probably a few others as well. Seems like most splash and go stones aren't suitable.

Korin_Mari
02-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Is there a good way to determine which stones are suitable for permasoaking?

Generally, rough and medium stones are ok to permasoak, but it really depends on the brands. I know its not recommended for king stones and it probably wouldn't be for anything splash and go.

Yes, it you put a stone away before its completely dry, it will mold. Especially if you put it back into it's box. Best to just leave it to air then put away, or just leave it out all the time.

I've never heard of stones rusting though. I'm wondering what brands rust.

Zwiefel
02-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Maybe there was some carbon steel swarf left on the surface?

brainsausage
02-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Maybe there was some carbon steel swarf left on the surface?

Yeah, I learned pretty quick that I should have cleaned my bester 1.2K and Rika 5K, a little better before permasoaking again after the first session. The bester still has some rust stains on the sides...