PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Austin

Yoni Lang
02-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Forgot to introduce myself earlier! Been posting away after finding this place. Pretty awesome source for knife info-with a nice homey feel. I'm already spending more time on here than I probably should. Just relocated to Austin, TX to continue my journey in to the art of sushi:knife:. Just thought I'd say hey to everyone:biggrin:

mc2442
02-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Welcome aboard!

El Pescador
02-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Welcome Yoni!

NathanL
02-15-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey Yoni. Where are you working at in Austin? I live here as well. I'm the CDC at Foreign and Domestic.

NathanL
02-15-2013, 01:17 AM
By the way I guess I'm new posting here as well but long time poster at the "other place". Hi guys!!

Dave Martell
02-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Welcome :)

Yoni Lang
02-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Hey Yoni. Where are you working at in Austin? I live here as well. I'm the CDC at Foreign and Domestic.

Hey Nathan.. I'm working at Uchiko. Still trying to try all the good places to eat around here on my day off (might take me a while). Menu at your place looks awesome.. Pork jowl and beef heart :hungry:

Thanks for the welcome guys

chinacats
02-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Greetings to both the new Texans!

Pensacola Tiger
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Welcome to KKF!

don
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Welcome! Great representation of top tier Austin restaurants. Just ate at Franklins today.

sachem allison
02-15-2013, 03:06 PM
welcome, gentleman!

Basecadet
02-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Welcome, Uchiko and Foreign & Domestic are both on my list for my upcoming trip to Austin. My visit last year at Uchiko was fantastic.

mkmk
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Welcome!

I'd also add Lenoir to your list of places to try as you get to know Austin's restaurant options. Very intimate and low key farm-to-table place, with some extraordinary food. Fantastic value, too.

mr drinky
02-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey Nathan.. I'm working at Uchiko.

Welcome, and nice gig too.

k.

Drumjockey
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome! I, too, have enjoyed the sushi journey... though now I am the hot-side mgr at a sushi restaurant, not a sushi chef. However, I graciously allow my stomach to continue the journey for me

Chuckles
02-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Welcome! Austin is a great town. My wife and I relocated there years ago and she worked at Ucchi. Great people. I think you are in for some good times both here and in Austin!

stopbarking
02-19-2013, 01:50 AM
Welcome! I'm in Austin...well technically living in Manor. I'm cooking at the Apple building in Riata. Love Uchiko and Lenoir. You're in a great town to learn when you find the right job. If you have a sunday off try the brunch at Olivia. Get the pickled pigs ear sandwich...thank me later.

Hope to see you at Uchiko soon! The Sake social is one of my favorite meals. I usually just order one of everything...plus a couple orders of the uni and the gyutan toro. The Nasu is incredible too.

wellminded1
02-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Welcome.

Yoni Lang
02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
thanks everyone!

Meals
02-26-2013, 09:45 PM
I just moved to Austin too! Not a chef, just a account by day and want to be chef at home. I have been meaning to check out your restaurant. I have been getting some good advice about a new set of knives on here.

Yoni Lang
02-27-2013, 01:10 AM
I just moved to Austin too! Not a chef, just a account by day and want to be chef at home. I have been meaning to check out your restaurant. I have been getting some good advice about a new set of knives on here.

come check the restaurant out man.. you'll see a lot of incredibly nice knives, and some pretty cheap knives that are insanely sharp. any one of the sushi chefs would be more than happy to talk about japanese steel. you'll find some good food too

Basecadet
02-27-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm stuck at the Airport in Toronto waiting on a new flight to get me to Austin tonight, hope to get to Uchiko on Saturday if I ever make it!

Slypig5000
02-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Yoni> A good friend of mine is a waitress at Uchiko, small world. That is a great gig, I haven't been to Uchiko yet though Uchi is one of my favorite restaurants ever.

Meals
02-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Awesome thanks, ill send you a PM maybe we can meet in person.

Jmadams13
02-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Welcome

Miles
02-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Welcome aboard from Houston guys! Chef Instructor at Central Market here.

stopbarking
02-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Enough of us now I think we can hold an Austin get together!

Yoni Lang
02-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Enough of us now I think we can hold an Austin get together!

1st rounds on me :happymug:

Meals
02-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Awesome I just took some classes at the North Lamar Central Market,

Meals
02-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Let's plan it! You guys know the places, I've only been here a few months!

NathanL
03-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Hey Basecadet thanks for coming in. Wish you had said something earlier, I woulda sent you out the proper treatment. Hope you enjoyed your meal tonight. PS I am leaving my position at F&D for something new to come. Will keep everyone posted. It's gonna be awesome!!!

pete84
03-01-2013, 03:24 AM
From a fellow sushi chef to another, hello!

where you work in austin, how is the sushi scene?

Yoni Lang
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
From a fellow sushi chef to another, hello!

where you work in austin, how is the sushi scene?

hey pete! i work at uchiko in austin.. sushi scene is a bit different from other states i've been.. not tons and tons of sushi restaurants for a city of this size mostly since it's so far from the coast and getting good fish requires more than just a large wallet. its interesting to say the least but we all work hard to make things as good as we can, and improve anywhere possible. i came here to learn, and i've learned more in my time here than i thought i would. we have a lot of chefs from cali so i've heard a good deal about the sushi out there (my family is from the bay area as well). how you like it over there and where are you working?

Steel in Texas
03-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Been meaning to check out Uchiko hear it's got nice food. I hear you about being far from the oceans... Moved back here from Seattle and San Fran before that and I certainly miss the uber fresh fish.

Yoni Lang
03-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Been meaning to check out Uchiko hear it's got nice food. I hear you about being far from the oceans... Moved back here from Seattle and San Fran before that and I certainly miss the uber fresh fish.

Freshness at uchiko is not much of a problem.. definitely easier in san fran but our head sushi chef has some good relationships with a lot of the companies, so we get fish delivered daily. Definitely should check it out if fresh is your thing

don
03-06-2013, 02:27 AM
Hey Basecadet thanks for coming in. Wish you had said something earlier, I woulda sent you out the proper treatment. Hope you enjoyed your meal tonight. PS I am leaving my position at F&D for something new to come. Will keep everyone posted. It's gonna be awesome!!!

Good luck! Austin is definitely interesting. Would be interested to hear where you go. F&D is beyond solid.

pete84
03-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I've heard many good things about Uchiko and Austin becoming a culinary destination, cannot wait to check it out. Lived in Texas for 2 years when I was a kid. My family owned a small fusion japanese restaurant in a small town, back in the 90's folks in the area had no idea about sushi and the thought of eating raw fish was quite foreign indeed. I guess our timing was off, as it was still a growing trend on the left coast and hadn't quite absorbed into the culinary scene in a Lubbock. I do recall falling in love with Tex-Mex food at the time! haha

The plethora of well trained sushi chefs in LA and California in general make it an excellent place to learn and train. The flip side would be its a very competitive job market and the average wages for sushi chefs are relatively lower while the cost of living is quite high in LA or SF. I've been lucky to have worked at a handful of small sushi restaurants under strict and dedicated sensei. If ever in Austin I would love the chance to stage with you guys! Cheers!

Meals
03-12-2013, 09:19 PM
So where should we host the Austin meet up?

stopbarking
03-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Perhaps the Draught House? They are really easy going about group meetups as long as we go when there is table space available. I'm sure they would be fine with us having a small collection of knives to pass around as long as we cleared it beforehand. Great beers on tap and just around the corner from Uchiko. Maybe if we plan it at the right time we could incorporate the Sake Social?

I can also offer my house but I am out in Manor, TX. I will gladly smoke some butts to provide at any meetup.

stopbarking
03-13-2013, 01:00 AM
On another note I'm pretty set at my current job but my weekend availability is completely open. If any of you Austin CDCs or Line Cooks wouldn't mind a stage who is not completely useless around your kitchens for the night I'd love to help out and learn some stuff. PM me.

Yoni Lang
03-14-2013, 11:27 PM
the d is a great place to get drunk :) i get off pretty late though

Mitbud
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM
welcome