PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick filleting/boning knife

vlad8
02-15-2013, 08:34 PM
I am considering kasumi boning and mac SO-70 but i would like to hear any other suggestions . It will be used most often to fillet salmon or halibut.

ThEoRy
02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
180-210mm Deba?

knyfeknerd
02-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I used to own the Kasumi and it is a decent knife. I'm not familiar with the Mac you're talking about.
The downsides to the Kasumi are #1 It's VG10, which doesn't get a lot of love from me and plenty of others.
#2 The bottom(by the bolster) of the cutting edge curves and is very difficult to sharpen.
Other than that, it has a decent grind, profile and an adequate amount of flex to it-but not too flexy.
Maybe post a pic or link to the Mac you're talking about.

vlad8
02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
I used to own the Kasumi and it is a decent knife. I'm not familiar with the Mac you're talking about.
The downsides to the Kasumi are #1 It's VG10, which doesn't get a lot of love from me and plenty of others.
#2 The bottom(by the bolster) of the cutting edge curves and is very difficult to sharpen.
Other than that, it has a decent grind, profile and an adequate amount of flex to it-but not too flexy.
Maybe post a pic or link to the Mac you're talking about.

this is the mac i am talking about http://www.macknife.com/kitchen/products-by-series/professional-series/32-so-70-professional-series-7q-fillet-knife.html

knyfeknerd
02-15-2013, 09:36 PM
I've never owned a Mac, but they do have a decent reputation. The description on this one says it is very thin and flexible, to about 90degrees. Is that something you are looking for? Too much flex can be a bad thing, depending on what you are doing.
I would definitely shop around some more though. I think you might find a better knife than both of these if you search. Don't overlook Tojiro DP or Suisin either.
ThEoRy's Deba idea is worth exploring too.

vlad8
02-15-2013, 11:42 PM
i am not sure how to use deba.
some flex is fine probably 90 deg flex is too much. what do you guys use to fillet a fish? deba?
i think the susing and tojiro have only the Honesuki.

franzb69
02-15-2013, 11:44 PM
after using western fillet knives for a couple years i'd wanna try debas out. =D

i'm getting me a 120mm (it's on the way), and a 180mm sometime soon.

ThEoRy
02-16-2013, 12:09 AM
i am not sure how to use deba.
some flex is fine probably 90 deg flex is too much. what do you guys use to fillet a fish? deba?
i think the susing and tojiro have only the Honesuki.

You don't wan't to use a honesuki for fish. Suisin and tojiro both do have deba. You can also use a sujihiki for fish filleting and portioning/slicing.

ThEoRy
02-16-2013, 12:10 AM
after using western fillet knives for a couple years i'd wanna try debas out. =D

i'm getting me a 120mm (it's on the way), and a 180mm sometime soon.

What are you gonna do with a 120mm deba....anchovies???

franzb69
02-16-2013, 12:16 AM
tilapia. most fish we handle here are a lot smaller than what you guys have. the good fish we have from our seas gets imported to countries like yours. =D

sardine type fish mostly with the 120mm

vlad8
02-16-2013, 01:03 AM
You don't wan't to use a honesuki for fish. Suisin and tojiro both do have deba. You can also use a sujihiki for fish filleting and portioning/slicing.

yes i have 270 mm suji that i use when i am removing the skin or slicing but i need something shorter and more flexible when i separate the fillet from the backbone.

Chuckles
02-16-2013, 01:22 AM
How about sabatier?

http://thebestthings.com/knives/graphics/nogent_fish.jpg

I would think the 6 inch slicer would have some flex too.

http://thebestthings.com/knives/graphics/nogent_6in_slicer.jpg

The tojiro boning knife has almost no flex.

vlad8
02-16-2013, 01:36 AM
How about sabatier?

http://thebestthings.com/knives/graphics/nogent_fish.jpg

I would think the 6 inch slicer would have some flex too.

http://thebestthings.com/knives/graphics/nogent_6in_slicer.jpg

The tojiro boning knife has almost no flex.

the sabatier looks like something that would do the job. do you think it would be better then the mac?

chinacats
02-16-2013, 01:50 AM
The 6" Sab flexes nicely, but not too much, they also make a filet knife which is much more flexible. Unless you are stuck on a western style knife I agree that you may want to try a deba. I don't own a deba but want to try one after seeing proper use (see Theory's deba filet videos).

Cheers

Chuckles
02-16-2013, 02:15 AM
For me a super flexible blade is not necessary for salmon and halibut. This site shows some of the Mac flex.

http://bernalcutlery.com/shop/mac-7-pro-sole-fillet-so-70

A shorter suji or petty would open a world of options.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gesshin-ginga/gesshin-ginga-180mm-stainless-petty.html

vicv
02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I know they're not cheap but check out phil wilson's site. Probably the best for fillet knives

DeepCSweede
02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
I know they're not cheap but check out phil wilson's site. Probably the best for fillet knives

He has dropped off the face of the earth. Both Oivind and I have tried to contact him in the last year and neither one of us received a response. Personally, I would have Pierre make me a filet knife if I was ready to pull the trigger on one.

franzb69
02-16-2013, 11:03 AM
i prefer stiff boning knives when boning meat. so my switch to a hankotsu wasn't much of a change.

i don't really fillet a lot of fish so i can't say anything about flexible filleting knives.

DeepCSweede
02-16-2013, 11:04 AM
I ended up picking up a 210 Shigefusa Miroshi Deba plus I have a few other projects in the works, so the filet knife project is going to sit on the back burner for a while.

vicv
02-16-2013, 01:39 PM
He has dropped off the face of the earth. Both Oivind and I have tried to contact him in the last year and neither one of us received a response. Personally, I would have Pierre make me a filet knife if I was ready to pull the trigger on one.

That's too bad. He's an exceptional maker and I was planning on a bow river soon. Who's Pierre?

franzb69
02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
i think he's referring to pierre rodrigue. great knife maker as well.

vlad8
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
i guess i will just use petty as Chuckles suggests for now.

ThEoRy
02-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Deba. For reals.

keithsaltydog
02-16-2013, 04:41 PM
i guess i will just use petty as Chuckles suggests for now.

That 180mm petty should be long enough for salmon going fr.side to spine,plus it is a quality blade,good choice

JKerr
02-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Is it for home use or professional?

vlad8
02-20-2013, 03:31 AM
Home

franzb69
02-20-2013, 03:48 AM
could also check out tojiro dp western boning knife. western knife in japanese steel. best of both worlds.

cookinstuff
02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
for salmon I enjoy the length of my 240 sakai takayuki mioroshi, I remove the belly bones with my pierre filet, I wouldn't change it for the world. Use my pierre for cleaning filets when I get mostly cleaned down filets, or flatfish. The deba for whole fish, usually larger ones. If you are getting a knife specifically for fish, I would not suggest a boning knife or a petty, I'd splurge on the deba, if you do enough fish it will be worth it.