PDA

View Full Version : Left handed?

arrowhawk
02-17-2013, 04:40 PM
I am new to japanese knifes. I am also left handed.
So my question.
Is there such a thing as a left handed knife, how much more do you pay ?

mkmk
02-17-2013, 05:58 PM
For double beveled things (typical gyuto, petty, etc.) it's a minor issue. Some of these have slightly asymmetrical grinds to the overall blade, and/or an asymmetrical edge bevel (70/30, etc.), but it's generally not a big deal. The differences are pretty insignificant -- less important than your sharpening technique, etc. Over time, any knife you sharpen will develop an edge that is (hopefully!) suited to your personal use.

For traditional single-edged Japanese designs, though, you need to order a left-handed knife, which is generally 50% more expensive.

I'm a lefty, and I have no single-edged knives.

stevenStefano
02-17-2013, 07:01 PM
A lot of J-knives have a righty bias and mostly it isn't a big deal. Koki atJCK sells a lot of lefty knives I believe though, so you could ask him for some quotes. For single-bevel knives, generally there is a 50% markup. Jon at Japanese Knife Imports has a few I think, as does Maxim at JNS. Depends on what you're after. I got a lefty 210 kamagata usuba a while ago and to be honest I never use it

franzb69
02-17-2013, 11:50 PM
30-50$ mark up depending on the seller / maker is about right.

Jon at JKI converts his righty knives for free if you buy from him, if you send him an email or give him a call he can give you some advice on what to get and stuff.

welcome fellow lefty!

arrowhawk
02-18-2013, 07:53 AM
A lot of J-knives have a righty bias and mostly it isn't a big deal. Koki atJCK sells a lot of lefty knives I believe though, so you could ask him for some quotes. For single-bevel knives, generally there is a 50% markup. Jon at Japanese Knife Imports has a few I think, as does Maxim at JNS. Depends on what you're after. I got a lefty 210 kamagata usuba a while ago and to be honest I never use it

Why do you not use the 210 kamagata usuba, what do you not like about that knife?

NO ChoP!
02-18-2013, 08:53 AM
As with all things, lefties adapt. Even double beveled knives are right hand biased. Playing with the bevel can be tricky. Stiction and steering are results to be aware of. Often a lefty will alter technique, almost subconsciously, to ofset issues. Once my life is back in order, I will have a custom lefty gyuto made. Will be my last knife purchase....

franzb69
02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
i tend to angle my knife away from my fingers (a bit of an angle) and really stick to my knuckles as close as possible while cutting through veg, so i don't really have trouble with asymmetry, but that's when really exact cuts aren't needed.

stevenStefano
02-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Why do you not use the 210 kamagata usuba, what do you not like about that knife?

I just didn't find a lot of use for it basically and also there was a slight bend in the blade. I got mine through BluewayJapan and the price was very reasonable so it was worth the risk but I use my knives in work and usubas aren't the most versatile knives

TheDispossessed
02-19-2013, 06:14 PM
i don't think its worth paying any extra to have a western style knife converted, just do it yourself all at once or over time.
paying more for single bevels sucks...

franzb69
02-19-2013, 10:48 PM
paying more for single bevels sucks..

most absolutely. =(