PDA

View Full Version : A question for lefties

Benuser
02-17-2013, 11:15 PM
If you deal with a "normal", asymmetric blade, and want to convert it to a neutral, I understand that you recenter the edge, and convex the left face somewhat by thinning.
Do you flatten the right face?
Just curious.

franzb69
02-17-2013, 11:38 PM
i haven't had to. only if i experience asymmetric blade problems then i'll be able to chime in. hope someone else other than me would help. i'd like to know as well.

RobinW
02-18-2013, 02:11 AM
Well, despite reading through the "real deal assymetric" thread, i still basically just sharpen it closer to 50/50. when thinning i try to flatten it a bit more lefty style, but it's really not much.

I realize i might not get the full potential out of the knife, but that's what i am used to. Now all this may change as i will soon get a Tilman Leder with a 90/10 lefty assymetric....

stevenStefano
02-18-2013, 05:44 AM
I think it depends on the knife and how asymmetric it is. I have a Kono HD and it cuts awesome for me now, I thinned the left side a lot and the right a little, but there was a lot of steel to play with, it was fairly close to 50/50 so there was enough steel on the left side to make it convex. I also only ever sharpen the left side. I got a Carbonext recently however, and it is a lot more asymmetric, so I plan on just thinning/flattening the right side, because there isn't enough steel on the left side to make it convex

Lefty
02-18-2013, 01:57 PM
If you have room to play I the left side, I take the bevel up (think wider), and add some convexing. On the right hand side, I flatten/thin the face and minimize the bevel. Hope that makes sense.

labor of love
02-18-2013, 02:01 PM
when you guys say "flatten the right side" are you refering to thinning it behind the edge? or are you doing something else?

Lefty
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
That's what I mean. My post was partly gibberish. I apologize. Ha

Benuser
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
when you guys say "flatten the right side" are you refering to thinning it behind the edge? or are you doing something else?
I mean flattening the entire right face to reduce its convexity, and not thinning behind the edge, which would enhance it.

labor of love
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
benuser, you achieve this with a low grit stone right? i like this idea.

Benuser
02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
I would use automotive sandpaper, starting with grit P120.

Lefty
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
I'd consider it the same thing....

euphorbioid
02-19-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't know, maybe I'm a lot less motivated. There are so many knives out there why buy one with a strong righty bias? I can see making an assymetric bevel on a 50-50 knife but to try to essentially regrind a knife seems like an awful lot of work to me. Not to mention it would unlikely be as good as one made by a master from the start.

This is not to say that I haven't done my share of crazy stuff. I have a Watanabe gyuto that I was determined to flatten. Which I did. Now the kanji is gone and I don't think it cuts any better than before. But it's flat!

Jan