PDA

View Full Version : Shipping knives to Japan

la2tokyo
02-28-2013, 12:45 AM
I'm going back to Japan to work and I have had a horrible time finding a way to ship my knives there. I know I can pack them in my luggage but I'm always worried that they're going to be stolen. I tried to ship them via Yamato and FedEx - both refused to ship knives. Any ideas?

mhlee
02-28-2013, 01:00 AM
I packed them in my luggage when I went to and from Japan in December. No problems whatsoever.

Yamabushi
02-28-2013, 05:57 AM
I'm going back to Japan to work and I have had a horrible time finding a way to ship my knives there. I know I can pack them in my luggage but I'm always worried that they're going to be stolen. I tried to ship them via Yamato and FedEx - both refused to ship knives. Any ideas?

Where will you be living and working? I live in Nezu off the Chiyoda Line. How soon are you moving?

Mike9
02-28-2013, 06:36 AM
If you have someone to receive them USPS EMS is probably your best bet.

Patatas Bravas
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't think no one would steal your knives on the Japan end. Where will you travel from?

daveb
02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
The easy answer is to sell them all here then get new ones in Japan... Whatchagot?:hungry::hungry::hungry:

Seriously, DHL does very well for Maxim from Europe, EMS does well from Japan, should do well going there.

chinacats
02-28-2013, 02:28 PM
I would pack them good and list as kitchen utensils--less scary sounding to some than knives. :)

I also think Dave's answer may be the best...b/s/t?

la2tokyo
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Travelling from Los Angeles, probably in May. I just found out that I can valuate my luggage up to $5K with the airline so I may look into that if DHL won't take them. I'll probably pack in a big box and wrap it up with twenty layers of packing tape. I could buy new ones when I get there, but just did that last year and it's a pain in the ass buying a bunch of knives and sharpening everything as soon as I get there. Plus I can't afford to buy better ones than I already have. I will be working in Central Tokyo somewhere, not 100% sure yet and I don't want to jinx it.