PDA

View Full Version : gesshin ginga?

ChefStokely
03-04-2013, 01:05 AM
what is the big difference in the white #2 and stainless gesshin ginga? pros and cons of each? looking to buy it soon

mhlee
03-04-2013, 01:42 AM
Are you talking about geometry, profile, thickness, etc.? Based on my conversations with Jon, they're essentially the exact same knife - profile, dimensions, geometry - except for the steel. White #2 is a carbon steel and the stainless, is just that.

I have a 240 White #2 wa gyuto and I love it.

TheDispossessed
03-04-2013, 08:26 AM
I also have a white #2 240 and man is that thing awesome!
i have been using it for two weeks and it is the most comfortable knife i have ever used. light as a feather, great geometry, great fit and finish, all around winner. i'd highly recommend.
i chose white steel (actually against jon's recommendation, as i work in an extremely hectic kitchen and handle a lot of acidic foods) because i love to sharpen white steel, and i wanted a carbon gyuto to train me into being extremely fastidious with my knife. so far, i do not regret this choice, and the reactivity of the steel is quite manageable, no rust, just forming a nice patina.

TheDispossessed
03-04-2013, 08:28 AM
if you do go carbon, get some pure acetone to remove the baked on lacquer or else you'll get a funny patina where it wears off, and the knife will feel gummy too.
also, i made a 50/50 mix of beeswax and tsubaki oil to condition the handle and saya, they are looking nice!

TheDispossessed
03-04-2013, 08:31 AM
fyi, the blade is balanced right at the first character engraving/stamp, a little ways up the blade, just right for me (pinch!)

ChefStokely
03-04-2013, 01:28 PM
gesshin ginga white #2 it is... time to place my order