PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Mac?

monty
03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I am noticing that when IO access the forum from my work computer (PC) I never have a problem getting on. At home, where I use a Mac, I'm almost always told that Safari can find the page. Does this make any sense? Am I doing something wrong, or is this a Mac issue?

Dave Martell
03-02-2011, 11:55 AM
This is way out of my league to answer. I'll note it and see what I can find. Thanks for reporting it.

Pensacola Tiger
03-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I've a Mac, and no issues. As noted in other threads, it may be a DNS issue, especially considering that you are using two different environments at work and home. The DNS your home ISP is using may not be updated for Dave's website. Try OpenDNS (it's what I use at home). http://www.opendns.com/

monty
03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
I've a Mac, and no issues. As noted in other threads, it may be a DNS issue, especially considering that you are using two different environments at work and home. The DNS your home ISP is using may not be updated for Dave's website. Try OpenDNS (it's what I use at home). http://www.opendns.com/

Great. Thanks!

JeffS
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
One fairly quick way to check if its a dns problem is to do a nslookup of the site.

On a Mac:

Launch the Network Utility (under applications/utilities).
Click the Lookup tab.
Where it says Please enter an internet address to lookup, enter www.kitchenknifeforums.com
Under Select the information to lookup, pick Default Information.
Uncheck use dig in place of nslookup.
Click Lookup.
This will show the IP address your dns is showing for www.kitchenknifeforums.com It should be 64.57.218.150

If its not then your DNS hasn't updated yet and using opendns might be a good option (arguably a good option instead of your ISP's dns but I won't go into the the technical mumbo jumbo =)

You can also try a ping under the network utility to see if you can actually reach the server.

mr drinky
03-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I use Mac and I am still having problems. I am going to try the DNS and the tips here.

k.

Pensacola Tiger
03-02-2011, 07:49 PM
One fairly quick way to check if its a dns problem is to do a nslookup of the site.

On a Mac:

Launch the Network Utility (under applications/utilities).
Click the Lookup tab.
Where it says Please enter an internet address to lookup, enter www.kitchenknifeforums.com
Under Select the information to lookup, pick Default Information.
Uncheck use dig in place of nslookup.
Click Lookup.
This will show the IP address your dns is showing for www.kitchenknifeforums.com It should be 64.57.218.150

If its not then your DNS hasn't updated yet and using opendns might be a good option (arguably a good option instead of your ISP's dns but I won't go into the the technical mumbo jumbo =)

You can also try a ping under the network utility to see if you can actually reach the server.

Nice detailed explanation for our Apple using members having problems.

Thanks for filling in the gaps in my rather terse suggestion to "use OpenDNS".

SpikeC
03-02-2011, 11:37 PM
My mac is happy here!

hien
03-03-2011, 12:27 AM
i am using macbook. it's okae. but if i am using ipad, it's a blank web.

Dave Martell
03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
This is weird, some people are OK with MAC other not and then some OK with IPad and other not.

hien
03-03-2011, 12:40 AM
you might consider changing theme, that might fix yr problem. sometimes, these themes r not very well code or cross platform.

JeffS
03-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Nice detailed explanation for our Apple using members having problems.

Thanks for filling in the gaps in my rather terse suggestion to "use OpenDNS".

Thought it might help :) I'm always a little surprised to see how many computer people seem to have the knife bug.

mr drinky
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
This is weird, some people are OK with MAC other not and then some OK with IPad and other not.

Correction. I fired up an old pc and that also has trouble loading. I am going the OpenDNS route instead. Hopefully that works.

k.

ItSlicesItDices
03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm using OSX 10.5.8 and Safari 5.0.3, and all seems smooth here.

hien
03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
It's now okae on my iPad

SpikeC
03-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm using a Mac book, no problems.

sw2geeks
03-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Big Mac user here. Every thing looks fine on both my home & work Mac. Looks fine on my iPad too.

monty
03-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Here's what I'm experiencing now that I have several days of the same behavior. I can't access KNF in the evening through around 9 in the morning if I'm at home on my mac. During the day everything is good to go. I can access all my other forums during that time, this is the only one my browser says it can't find. And only during those times. Wierd!

la2tokyo
03-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm on a Mac and I've had some minor issues. Most of them seem to go away if I delete cookies and restart my browser. I'm using Firefox.

monty
03-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Frustrating! Now I can't open KNF on my mac at all. I walked across the street to my wife's computer - no problem. I'm going to give the DNS stuff a shot when I get back home.

FryBoy
03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Had similar problems from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. today -- and I'm running a PC under Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit with FireFox 3.6.14 and a 30mbps cable connection. I kept getting messages that the www.kitchenknifeforums.com (http://www.kitchenknifeforum.com) server could not be found -- and then it suddenly began working again. Go figure!

monty
03-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Had similar problems from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. today -- and I'm running a PC under Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit with FireFox 3.6.14 and a 30mbps cable connection. I kept getting messages that the www.kitchenknifeforums.com (http://www.kitchenknifeforum.com) server could not be found -- and then it suddenly began working again. Go figure!

That's what happens with me. I tried the DNS thing Jeff mentioned and it cam back with a message indicating that it could not find the forum. I didn't want to download open dns because I really don't understand what it is. Now, I'm on with no problems. Oh well, maybe this will just be a way to keep me off the computer :)