PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement KKF has new owners

Pages : 1 [2]

Zwiefel
04-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Guilty! Only 'cause Mari posted though :)

NO ChoP!
04-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Have you ever noticed, when cooking broccoli, the thin line between deliciously crunchy, and grossly mushy? I hate overcooked broccoli.

jayhay
04-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Have you ever noticed, when cooking broccoli, the thin line between deliciously crunchy, and grossly mushy? I hate overcooked broccoli.

I like the broccoli stems. Just give em a quick peel, cut as you wish and cook as you like. Awesome peppery flavor, and texturally resilient.

Personally, it's beets I find most offensive. Unless freshly roasted, they totally suck. No?

bikehunter
04-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Don't like beets much until they're pickled...then I can eat a bunch of them. Don't care for broccoli if it's mushy or so crunchy you can't tell if they've been cooked. Aldente only goes so far.

ajhuff
04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Mmmmm.... pickled beets and eggs! :hungry:

-AJ

WildBoar
04-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Personally, it's beets I find most offensive. Unless freshly roasted, they totally suck. No?No. They totally suck, even when freshly roasted.

jayhay
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
No. They totally suck, even when freshly roasted.

Well, how do you feel about canned asparagus? Certainly nothing sucks more than that?

Try a charred beat sometime, with some charred carrots, cumin-yogurt, lime zest and chili flake. I guarantee you can be converted.

jayhay
04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Hi guys. Just thought I'd weigh in: Beets, broccoli ... both beautiful vegs but must be cooked right, like with anything. I'm also wondering if the former admin were opposed to beets, like some here above, and if this stance might change with the welcome arrival of the new admin? In short I'm hoping Group Builder will be much more beet-friendly and there will be more openness towards vegetable discussion in general.

Just two cents. Thanks.

:plus1:

Beets, the red-headed stepchild of the veg world. It's genuinely hard to be a beet in spring when you have ramps growing next to you. Even if you're candy striped.

WildBoar
04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
If this BBS becomes heavily beet-favorable, I may need to head back to KF... :nunchucks:

Mike9
04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Obviously you guys never went to "The International" in Greek Town Detroit back in the day. I made a Greek meal I remember from there just last weekend. Roast lamb, string beans in tomato sauce, spanakopita, and roast beets with garlic sauce. They are an amazing appetizer and as much as I love it I really, really hate working with fresh beets.

jayhay
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Obviously you guys never went to "The International" in Greek Town Detroit back in the day. I made a Greek meal I remember from there just last weekend. Roast lamb, string beans in tomato sauce, spanakopita, and roast beets with garlic sauce. They are an amazing appetizer and as much as I love it I really, really hate working with fresh beets.

Ah yes, it's freaking amazing. But you won't get laid for a week if you eat it. Here's a slam dunk hella-garlicky sauce recipe.

http://thefoodblog.com.au/2009/10/toum-lebanese-garlic-sauce-recipe.html

Dig it.

Mrmnms
04-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Are we anxiously waiting for Austin to weigh in on beets now. I'm feeling this may be important.

stevenStefano
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
I love the fluorescent purple jars of pickled beetroot. When I was a child it was a staple of my diet

bikehunter
04-03-2013, 06:58 PM
In general, I think beets and cilantro have something in common. No in between....People love or hate.

jayhay
04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
In general, I think beets and cilantro have something in common. No in between....People love or hate.

True dat. But charred beets and carrots with cumin-yogurt, lime and chili is amazing. It will convert anyone. People who hate will love. (((LOVE massive))) everyone.

mkmk
04-03-2013, 07:54 PM
I love ****s.

mzer
04-03-2013, 08:29 PM
The only bad thing about beets is the way your poop looks the next day. Once it took me a few hours to remember what I ate the night before and I was sure I was dying.

Salty dog
04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
They say people who look at their poop are weirdly possesive. Just saying.

bikehunter
04-03-2013, 08:55 PM
True dat. But charred beets and carrots with cumin-yogurt, lime and chili is amazing. It will convert anyone. People who hate will love. (((LOVE massive))) everyone.

Well, as I said, I'm a fan of pickled beets, but I've never tried this beet recipe. I probably will when the produce stand in front of my house opens for the season on Friday. I'll be so happy when that happens as I can't get to the grocery for veggies easily in the winter, and I'm starting to look like a giant bowl of meat and potatoes.

jayhay
04-03-2013, 09:33 PM
They say people who look at their poop are weirdly possesive. Just saying.

One of my best friends is kinda poop obsessed, or at least he used to be. A few years ago he wanted to make a book of unique and interesting poop pics. He is one of the most positive and wonderful persons in the world. So, I don't doubt that.

Well, as I said, I'm a fan of pickled beets, but I've never tried this beet recipe. I probably will when the produce stand in front of my house opens for the season on Friday. I'll be so happy when that happens as I can't get to the grocery for veggies easily in the winter, and I'm starting to look like a giant bowl of meat and potatoes.

Roast the beets until they are just tender, slice 'em thick then char 'em. Shave the carrots thin, or cut the them into 1/4"-ish sticks, so a good sear/char cooks them through. A heave cast iron pan helps greatly. Plate 'em up. Mix a bit of toasted-ground cumin into some good greek yogurt and drizzle over the top. Microplane some lime zest on top and sprinkle some chili flake to finish. Aleppo pepper is even better (here is my secret source (http://www.silvercloudestates.com/product/Aleppo-Pepper-Flakes-136.aspx) for cheap, amazing quality aleppo).

This one is a winner.

Dream Burls
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
So I just came back to this thread after a while. Can someone tell me how we went from KKF being sold to pickled beets and poop? You guys are really something!

bikehunter
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
So I just came back to this thread after a while. Can someone tell me how we went from KKF being sold to pickled beets and poop? You guys are really something!

I'm part of the beet exchange, but I was just thinking the same thing. <g>

Chefdog
04-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Golden Grahams and Honeycomb are awesome, but Apple Jacks suck a$$.

ThEoRy
04-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I make a delicious beet ice cream. Extremely vibrant looking as well.

ThEoRy
04-03-2013, 11:15 PM
I also make a delicious Golden Grahams ice cream as well.

knyfeknerd
04-03-2013, 11:24 PM
I really like the direction this thread has taken.
Can we please get back on task and resume the pontification of how bad KKF is going to get under new ownership?
Beets, poop, cilantro(not necessarily in that order) and ice cream are awesome though.
Has anyone ever taken a gyuto shaped deuce?
Wa or Western?

PierreRodrigue
04-03-2013, 11:29 PM
:spankarse::rofl2:

wenus2
04-03-2013, 11:41 PM
Wa or Western?

If its D-shaped wa, one should get their 'roids checked out... :flush:
:sick2:

brainsausage
04-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Poop shaped beet ice cream, golden graham crumble, honeycomb ash, applejack's creme anglaise, and pickled canned asparagus. Eat it. EAT ITTTTTTTT!!!

Chef Niloc
04-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Same here......... Hey pull my finger

Chef Niloc
04-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Hey, I'm still up...it's only early evening. Funny that, I found this in "What's New".
Nothing really new to discuss other than easy ways to raise post counts. :whistling:

Stumblinman, why are you surprised that you haven't been banned yet? :scratchhead::dontknow:
Odd no posts from cipcich after this?? You Scare him off EC... Da big bad chef

Cipcich
04-04-2013, 04:22 AM
REMEMBER: Don't drink and post. Safe boating is no accident.

Hoss

Thanks Devin.

Stumblinman
04-04-2013, 05:22 AM
Thank god for this forum... I mean Austin now.. and I thought I was bad for posting goats.....

Meals
04-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Will there be a Austin Tx get together now??

KKFAdmin
04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
My name is Austin, I don't live there, but I can get there in under an hour so we could do that.

Meals
04-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Yea I have eaten at your restaurants and saw your address. Not to far away at all, maybe a Austin food and wine festival event?

KKFAdmin
04-18-2013, 08:52 AM
That would be cool. I'm not into the Austin scene sense I left, but let me know and we can all get together.

mr drinky
07-07-2013, 11:38 PM
I don't expect the mods/founders/owners to express an opinion on this, but I still feel that Dave and the mods are pulling the wagon on the forum despite the sale -- this is probably good IMO and what was planned (mostly), but I sometimes wonder about expectations and reality. Is Dave finally having the time to work through his list now that the forum is in different hands?

k.

tripleq
07-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Just when I came back to ya Dave. Sniff, sniff. It's ok though. Good for you. You deserve whatever good things you manage to build for yourself. As for the rest of the stuff going on in the forum... My mind = officially blown.

NO ChoP!
07-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Can someone tell me how we went from KKF being sold to pickled beets and poop?

:scratchhead:

Dave sold the forum to pickled beets and poop?

ecchef
07-08-2013, 04:07 AM

...pickled beets and poop?

Sounds like a menu item at Noma. :(

Twistington
07-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Sounds like a menu item at Noma. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6YgFC-YQro

Dream Burls
07-08-2013, 08:19 AM

Dave sold the forum to pickled beets and poop?
If I had know I was so funny I'd have asked for royalties. Thanks for pointing this out No Chop.

Don Nguyen
07-08-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't expect the mods/founders/owners to express an opinion on this, but I still feel that Dave and the mods are pulling the wagon on the forum despite the sale -- this is probably good IMO and what was planned (mostly), but I sometimes wonder about expectations and reality. Is Dave finally having the time to work through his list now that the forum is in different hands?

k.

I was thinking about this too. I had hoped that this change in the forum would make things easier for Dave and stuff, but it still seems like he has to put a lot of his time into the same things, again.

KKFAdmin
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM

k.

I acknowledge this and am working on a solution. I think there are some issue that can be dealt with with clear and definitive rules.

I apologize for my absence lately. I had an allergic reaction to a medicine I was prescribed and it caused quite a few issues.