PDA

View Full Version : Sushi book recommendation from an ex-Sushi Chef

Eamon Burke
05-14-2011, 05:40 PM
There's clearly a lot of interest in Sushi here, because sushi chefs have, and make great use of, badass cutlery!

I just feel sometimes like suggesting people read this book(I'm looking at you, Oivind), so I figured I'd share with everyone.

It's called Zen of Fish by Trevor Corson (http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Fish-Story-Samurai-Supermarket/dp/0060883502).

It's an easy read, very casual documentary style, but EXTREMELY informative, on the nature, variety, customs, history and some science of Sushi and Sashimi. It's also a pretty dang accurate look into the lives of working Sushi Chefs(which is very tradition based, but still lots of :theline:)!

Check it out!

Pensacola Tiger
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, Eamon. I just downloaded it to my Kindle.

Rick

echerub
05-14-2011, 06:55 PM
It's a very cool read. Quite informative while being entertaining.

Customfan
05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Thank you! I love sushi, I'm going to look it up!

Miles
05-21-2011, 07:22 PM
It's a very good read. Well worth the time.

rahimlee54
05-21-2011, 10:09 PM
I have a question, perhaps you guys know the answer. I have never made sushi, but every once in a while like to eat it, if I go to the grocery store what kind of fish should I look for, is there such a thing as sushi grade? I have searched online but haven't come up with a good enough answer for myself. There are a few internet houses I can order from but I was wondering about local fish. Does the book cover this stuff? If so I'll go get it.

stereo.pete
05-21-2011, 10:12 PM
I have a question, perhaps you guys know the answer. I have never made sushi, but every once in a while like to eat it, if I go to the grocery store what kind of fish should I look for, is there such a thing as sushi grade? I have searched online but haven't come up with a good enough answer for myself. There are a few internet houses I can order from but I was wondering about local fish. Does the book cover this stuff? If so I'll go get it.

Check out this link for more information regarding your question. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?1088-Bacteria-on-Raw-fish-for-sushi