PDA

View Full Version : Murray Carter's High End Wa-Handles

Dave Martell
04-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Murray shows us how he makes his higher end wa-handles....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYvPxYGPY7c&list=UUi1OKw1BM0Ny4nePaXyE7fg& index=5

stevenStefano
04-11-2013, 02:38 PM
I think having the black bit in the middle looks cheap as hell

Lefty
04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I like them. They're not as "pure" as Stefan, Mike and the gang, but they have a distinct sporty look. i appreciate that he's confident enough in his work/hold of the market that he isn't afraid to show us what he does. Good on him.

jgraeff
04-11-2013, 02:47 PM
so how do you make it octagonal?

clayton
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
From what I understand you sand off the 4 original corners creating 8 new ones as a result.

Justin0505
04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
And who says that Murray (or is people) don't watch the forum?...

"Wait, what?, people are spending $200+ to replace the stock handles on my knifes? SOOoooo, I can put my own fancy handle on a "high grade" blade and charge $200-$300 more! Oh yeah! GIGITY GIGITY"

Helicopter pilots aint' no fools!

Gravy Power
04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Love Murray's knives but haven't neen a fan of his new custom handles.

WillC
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
I like it, It adds another construction tool or technique to doing Wa style handles, also great for using up those narrow offcuts:laugh:
Its a fairly common method to split a block to cut a slot and stick it back together, Mario made that handle recently which was almost like a crossover of traditional Wa and hidden tang, very nice.

apicius9
04-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Wait - I can ask $200+ for a handle :D Can't watch the video right now but look forward to it for tonight.

Stefan

clayton
04-11-2013, 06:32 PM
I am okay with the handles, but am having a hard time with this blade:

http://www.cartercutlery.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/IMG_9417-1.jpg

TB_London
04-11-2013, 06:46 PM
People have been doing laminated handles for a while, wish he wouldn't put these on all of his knives though as I don't like them enough to pay the extra.
Drilling and burning a single block for the handle wouldn't seem to be much more work either....

kalaeb
04-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I guess I am really surprised he joins the ferrule and the body with out some form of support. I dont see that union as being particularly strong, but I guess it works....

apicius9
04-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Sorry for a quick OT: Matt, did you get my email? I get error messages when I reply, please let me know.

And now, back to the regular program. As for the gluing of ferrules without extra support: depends on the materials that are getting glued together. Gluing wood, horn or anything that contains resin (lke Acrylic, bakelite, reconstituted metal or stone), that should not be a problem, and once the handle is on the knife, I would not have any concerns at all. These bonds are usually very strong. I have come across two situations where those bonds can break: throwing the handle to the floor (or against a wall if you mess up while fine-tuning the symmetry - ask me how I know...) or breaking off the ferrule when attaching the handle. In both cases the sideways shearing forces are just too much. Very different story if gluing metal to anything, I would not do that without any additional reinforcement.

Probably more than you wanted to know, I am bored while my students are writing their exam on research methods... :)

Stefan

kalaeb
04-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry for a quick OT: Matt, did you get my email? I get error messages when I reply, please let me know.

I didn't get one, If you tried via kkf my email does not work. I can shoot you over another one tonight.

I am also surprised he does not use a guide for his angles, that would drive me nuts trying to get it even

don
04-12-2013, 02:18 AM
I appreciated that Carter shared how he makes his octagon handles. I like his knives, and if his custom handles makes people happy then that's great. Personally, I'd take a Stefan or Mike Henry handle.

Here's a couple of new to me Carters with Mike Henry handles.

http://www.carblicious.com/images/carter_funayuki_240_6.jpg

http://www.carblicious.com/images/carter_funayuki_270_8.jpg