PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Nitrogen

ThEoRy
04-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Where do you guys get it and the necessary safety equipment and such? Dewars, etc??

marc4pt0
04-20-2013, 12:50 AM
contact your local gas/oxygen company, the ones that supply nitrous for soda fountains and the likes. They should have all you'll need!

Zwiefel
04-20-2013, 12:57 AM
Check with local farmers who breed cows to see if they have a tank they want to sell. You should be able to get one for ~$100 that way.

wellminded1
04-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Yea any company that supplies beer gas and what not. I ordered my dewar from ebay a few years back. Also chef rubber carries them or testek in canada.

Lucretia
04-20-2013, 01:27 AM
And please, please be careful when you use it. I don't remember the exact expansion ratio when liquid nitrogen becomes a gas, but it can readily displace oxygen in a confined area. An oxygen monitor is not a bad idea. It only takes a couple breaths in an oxygen deficient enviroment before you will pass out and die. Really.

A face shield, apron (not cloth--something that will shed liquid), and cryo gloves are also good. Eye protection under the faceshield is a good idea. Cover your skin--don't be barefoot or wear shorts.

And if you can't resist the urge to dunk something in LN2 and then whack it with a hammer to see it shatter, use eye protection. And remember when the stuff melts it can make a royal mess and you will have a devil of a time finding all the remnants. (Chewing gum dipped in LN2 & shattered is a b1tch to clean up. Trust me on this one.)

Lucretia
04-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Oh, and you don't want pockets in the apron or cuffs on your pants--you don't want something that will trap the liquid against your body if there's a spill. Don't wear fabric shoes or laceup shoes--again, you don't want the liquid to get up against you and be trapped.

Zwiefel
04-20-2013, 01:58 AM
And please, please be careful when you use it. I don't remember the exact expansion ratio when liquid nitrogen becomes a gas, but it can readily displace oxygen in a confined area.

Rule of thumb: when a liquid becomes a gas, expect a 1,000X increase in volume. Not exact, just a rule of thumb.

rahimlee54
04-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Liquid Nitrogen MSDS (http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/001040.pdf) from one of the big guys.

Marko Tsourkan
04-20-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Air

mainaman
04-20-2013, 09:14 AM
Liquid Nitrogen is fun.
Portable dewars are expensive and you loose a liter a day from evaporation.
It could be more economical to get a tank (180 liter) you will loose less, and then transfer in smaller dewar for your needs.