PDA

View Full Version : Damasteel Pettys

Dave Martell
05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Pierre sent two of his Damasteel pettys to me to sell (yeh - lucky me!) and he asked that I sharpen them, not that they needed it, so that I could provide him with any information on this new steel worked compared with what I've seen.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=567&d=1305675111

I did find a couple of things interesting and noteworthy....

The first thing I noticed is how abrasion resistant this stuff is, on par with the Japanese AS steel, but not as bad as some of the Japanese high end stainless stuff. Enough that I had to break out my more serious steel removing stones and they didn't move it all that quickly.

The second thing, a bit more interesting for sure, is that the burr/wire simply snapped off like nothing I've seen on a knife before. Both knives left a wire lying on the strop.

I'm not saying that any of this is bad, it's simply what I noticed, and Pierre asked that I share this with the forum.

Dave

Dave Martell
05-17-2011, 07:33 PM
These knives are available for sale HERE (http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/category-s/122.htm)

JohnnyChance
05-17-2011, 10:54 PM
The second thing, a bit more interesting for sure, is that the burr/wire simply snapped off like nothing I've seen on a knife before. Both knives left a wire lying on the strop.

Wow, that is something I haven't seen before. Have you ever seen that before Dave? If these are that resistant, and being pettys that are used mostly in hand, you might have to sharpen them once a year or less.

Dave Martell
05-18-2011, 12:16 AM
I've never seen it happen like this on a knife, very unique.

Eamon Burke
05-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Intriguing about the wire edge...

And that is a great price!

RRLOVER
05-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Some body please post a review on the damasteel.

JohnnyChance
05-21-2011, 11:27 PM

I believe the Pierre passaround knife is a gyuto using damasteel.

oivind_dahle
05-22-2011, 04:58 AM
I am also very interested in review on these knives :)

Lefty
05-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Think really dense, more pleasing vg10, with what seems to be better edge retention. It seems to give you piece of mind, where as I always worry about chipping with vg10. That's what I thought anyways.

Andrew H
05-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Think really dense, more pleasing vg10, with what seems to be better edge retention. It seems to give you piece of mind, where as I always worry about chipping with vg10. That's what I thought anyways.

Just curious, why do you worry about chipping with vg10?

Lefty
05-22-2011, 12:37 PM
The funny thing is I haven't chipped it, but on the board, I feel like it will chip, if that makes any sense.
I think it has to do with the feeling it sends to my hands at the bottom of my cuts (seriously).
It's always given me the feeling of a piece of broken glass on concrete.
I guess that, and that sometimes vg10 just is chippy at the start.

kalaeb
05-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I have always heard of VG-10 being chippy, but have never had any issue with my VG-10 knives.

In terms of the Damasteel, it has not seen much board action, and probably never will being a paring knife, but so far I cannot even compare it to VG-10.

The paring is SUPER thin, almost too thin, it has alot of flex which I am still getting used to, but this may be an advantage. I have only used it a few time since I just received it last night, but can post my perceptions in a week or so.

Asestically, the knife is beautiful, Pierre has gone above and beyond in craftsmanship.

:viking: