PDA

View Full Version : Jnats vs med-grit synthetics

Patatas Bravas
05-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Hi guys,

I just like using nat stones and have wondered recently about picking up, say, a binsui or ikarashi to use in place of the standard 1k or 2k med-grit synthetics for normal (non-heavy duty) sharpening. However, a big Jnat user has told me he still prefers starting with a 1k, as they just perform better, and then moving through maybe 1 or 2 Jnats from there in normal circumstances (eg. 1k -> aoto/hakka/etc -> finisher, or just a 1k -> quality suita).

I'm just wondering about other people's experiences. Do you agree with the above? Does anyone sharpen solely on nats?

schanop
05-17-2013, 02:57 AM
It depends on how dull a knife is for me. If it is just a touch dull, then I might start with Aizu, coarse Atagoyama, or Aoto depending on the mood. But if I am going to have to fix some minor/micro chipping then synthetic 500/700/1k is usually way faster.

Low grit jnat is just mainly for fun, although a good one makes polishing kasumi way easier.

Patatas Bravas
05-17-2013, 06:32 AM
That's usually what I'll do, too, though I just have one stone, an Aoto, on the lower end.

mainaman
05-17-2013, 07:20 AM
I use Ikarashi or red/green Aoto all the time for minor work or touch ups.
The 1k Synthetic is reserved for serious work.

Patatas Bravas
05-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Sounds good, Mainaman. Do you prefer the Ikarashi over a Binsui? If so, why?

mainaman
05-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Sounds good, Mainaman. Do you prefer the Ikarashi over a Binsui? If so, why?
I have not tried Binsui, but the Ikarashi workd great for me. I have had always issues with my Mac petty and putting a good working edge on it, the Ikarashi solved the problem.