PDA

View Full Version : Stone Envy

tk59
05-19-2011, 10:57 AM
I have quite a few stones at this point and I thought I was basically done buying them. But I recently tried out a friend's Aoto. It's big, essentially black and feels incredibly smooth and leaves a nice edge. The problem is it's a fairly expensive stone and I already have several stones in that grit range. Still, I can't seem to stop thinking about running my edges over that thing... :help3:

rockbox
05-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Don't go over to Jon's place then. Doesn't he personally own more that 40 or 50 stones.

mhlee
05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Too late . . .

mainaman
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Aoto are nice stones, but quality ones are hard to find and are expensive.
Getting into naturals is also a big adventure for the wallet.

Cadillac J
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Unfortunately I can't relate. I just never had a similar obsession with stones, yet I absolutely love to sharpen.

Part of me has been curious to try some new ones, but I don't want to spend any money on them--especially ones that cost the same as a quality knife.

Can we still be friends?

MadMel
05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Unfortunately I can't relate. I just never had a similar obsession with stones, yet I absolutely love to sharpen.

Part of me has been curious to try some new ones, but I don't want to spend any money on them--especially ones that cost the same as a quality knife.

Can we still be friends?

Welcome to the minimalist club :)

mainaman
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I took a pic of all my naturals for another forum, although I have good number I still think of the next one :help3:

http://i51.tinypic.com/sole8y.jpg

tk59
05-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Don't go over to Jon's place then. Doesn't he personally own more that 40 or 50 stones.

He does have a pile and it's growing but I can honestly say I don't dream about any of them except for two and neither is a "finishing" stone. I only have one friend (that I know of) that at least occasionally dreams about stones and isn't a geologist.

Nice collection, btw, Stefan. I hope my disease doesn't progress that far...

unkajonet
05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
He does have a pile and it's growing but I can honestly say I don't dream about any of them except for two and neither is a "finishing" stone. I only have one friend (that I know of) that at least occasionally dreams about stones and isn't a geologist.

:scared2: I wonder who that might be...

MadMel
05-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I took a pic of all my naturals for another forum, although I have good number I still think of the next one :help3:

http://i51.tinypic.com/sole8y.jpg

That's the amount of knives I hope I'd be having lol.. You lock them up at night or what?

mainaman
05-19-2011, 12:38 PM
That's the amount of knives I hope I'd be having lol.. You lock them up at night or what?

hehe in the safe :viking:

JBroida
05-19-2011, 02:39 PM
hehe in the safe :viking:

bad news tk... i've got 4-5 new stones that will be here in about 5-6 days ;)