PDA

View Full Version : Eamon Burke knives.

Pages : 1 [2]

Pensacola Tiger
05-28-2013, 03:08 PM
PMs have gone out to 21 of the 22. Pabloz is not allowed to receive private messages. I will try to email him.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 03:08 PM
I remember now (I think) why I'm on the list. Not the utility. :)

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Take another off the list. I can't recall what I had ordered from Eamon, but I don't believe it was one of these. I'll go back in my Paypal archives and check. I know I was very tempted to order one, so maybe one day I did. You know what, regardless, mine is up for grabs, if I'm in line for one.

Thanks, guys.

I remember now (I think) why I'm on the list. Not the utility. :)

Thanks Lefty! Updated spreadsheet. Down to 18.

cookinstuff
05-28-2013, 03:21 PM
I paid Eamon for a base cost of $190 for the knife, and was going to pay him for the material costs when he got around to making the handles/sayas. I feel like Mr. Drinky at this point where this whole exchange has left a sour taste. I have plenty knives myself and was just going to keep this around the kitchen for cooks to beat up on, so I will relinquish my position on the list (even though I'm not on it). I'm glad so much good is being done in this thread because it is probably the only thing from keeping me feeling very taken and jaded by this event. Thanks everyone for contributing to this cause of helping out somebody who probably doesn't deserve it, just goes to show how great the people on this forum really are. It looks like people will get something out of this after all. Now excuse me while I go sand off my Burke Cutlery stamp on my saya.

Mike Davis
05-28-2013, 03:50 PM
I just saw this and will do what ever i can to help out! Just let me know what i can do folks.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Okay to reiterate my Burke utility goes to BrainSausage, The Sabatier is mine, The large massive chef knife is also mine. The Don Nguyen is now Zwiefel's and the ironwood blocks and cocobolo saya wood is for those members who would like to use it on their sayas and knives. If someone is short a knife when this is all said and done I have a beautiful Delbert Ealy 150mm petty in AEB-L with birdseye maple and redwood burl handle and saya (I can sand off the Burke Cutlery stamp if you want) the saya is painted distressed blue, that I would be willing to donate in like new condition. It's badass.

SpikeC
05-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Please take me off of the list.

ejd53
05-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Boy, what a mess. Very sorry for all involved. I just happen to have a new Catchside utility line 210 gyuto (in O-1 with a blackwood and bubinga handle) that I would be happy to donate to compensate someone. Let me know what you need me to do.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Boy, what a mess. Very sorry for all involved. I just happen to have a new Catchside utility line 210 gyuto (in O-1 with a blackwood and bubinga handle) that I would be happy to donate to compensate someone. Let me know what you need me to do.

you've done enough.lol

Marko Tsourkan
05-28-2013, 04:02 PM
... Thanks everyone for contributing to this cause of helping out somebody who probably doesn't deserve it, just goes to show how great the people on this forum really are. It looks like people will get something out of this after all. Now excuse me while I go sand off my Burke Cutlery stamp on my saya.

I will paraphrase you and say that it's great that community yet again came together to help folks who deserve it - people who paid for goods but not received them. Let's keep this as an emphasis and work toward resolving this issue.

We are not helping Eamon, he is off the hook (without responsibilities), but those of you who took part in this venture and got burned.

Haggises
05-28-2013, 04:20 PM
As a member here for all of a week I obviously don't have a dog in this hunt.
I'd just like to echo the sentiments of others - you guys have done a great job of pulling together to make the best of a bad situation. Other groups might have got out the pitchforks and torches, but you guys sought the most equitable solutions.
What a great community you have here! If I wore a hat, it would be doffed in your general direction. Well done.

Justin0505
05-28-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, I was away for a couple days and came back to a PM from Rick with more sickening news about Eamon's "business" practices and the list of paid orders not matching the number of knives made.
This saga has been quite a mix of behavior and emotions: both the most appalling and unethical behavior on the part of a former vendor and some of the most generous, and gracious behavior on the part of current vendors and members (some of whom were not even directly affected by this). So, as I've been reading this I've experience everything from anger and disgust to heat-touching awe and brotherly love... sometimes cycling between the two a few times in the same page.

I don't know about you all, but I'm exhausted!

It's been said before, but thank you again to Will, Zwif, Rick, Lefty, Son, Devin, Marko and anyone else that I missed for your time, generosity, and faith-in-humanity restoring contributions.

I just checked my paypal and confirmed that I did pay $250 in Aug 2012 as part of the first pre-sale. I would still like a knife if there is one available. I'd be willing to donate the corresponding wood and handle material to go towards the "Victims of Eamon Relief Fund."
I think that it would be a good idea to add payment info to the spreadsheet. It sounds like what might have happened is that some people paid the "full" pre-sale amount and some people paid slightly less to coverer materials for a "next" batch.

Once we know exactly who is owed what / how much (I think that folks who are out on shipping costs, gas, etc should be included), and then we raise whatever money for the relief fund with an auction of wood/ tools, materials/ whatever (wasn't Eamon trying to sell some stuff on bst too?), we should know how much the remaining debt is (fund - debt). At that point I'd be more than willing to chip in some money to help make everyone whole.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 04:32 PM

I'll take it! Hahaha. Man, you're nuts!

mr drinky
05-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm out. Don't want a blade or anything else. I thank everyone for their work, gracious offers, substitute knives, road trips, gas money etc. but the more I read this thread, the more my head hurts. I've met Eamon and his lovely family and do still (more or less) believe in him. I wish I could have been able to support him before this mess happened, but c'est la vie. I'm not going to be checking this thread anymore, so please PM me when my block of wood needs to be sent onward. Some things in life just need to be written off without worry or further concern. This is one of those events.

Bye.

karring

Crothcipt
05-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I got a pm telling me my name was on the list. I have never sent him money for anything. I had quite a interest on the knives but nothing was sent to me (that I remember), and nothing sent to him. I have been following this thread, but had not said anything because I thought it would have muddied the waters more.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Please take me off of the list.

I'm out. Don't want a blade or anything else. I thank everyone for their work, gracious offers, substitute knives, road trips, gas money etc. but the more I read this thread, the more my head hurts. I've met Eamon and his lovely family and do still (more or less) believe in him. I wish I could have been able to support him before this mess happened, but c'est la vie. I'm not going to be checking this thread anymore, so please PM me when my block of wood needs to be sent onward. Some things in life just need to be written off without worry or further concern. This is one of those events.

Bye.

karring

Thanks SpikeC and Mr. Drinky. This means we are down to 16.
I'll send a PM to Mr. Drinky to make arrangements to send his Koa home, since I think this means he has nothing else to wait for.

Okay to reiterate my Burke utility goes to BrainSausage, The Sabatier is mine, The large massive chef knife is also mine. The Don Nguyen is now Zwiefel's and the ironwood blocks and cocobolo saya wood is for those members who would like to use it on their sayas and knives. If someone is short a knife when this is all said and done I have a beautiful Delbert Ealy 150mm petty in AEB-L with birdseye maple and redwood burl handle and saya (I can sand off the Burke Cutlery stamp if you want) the saya is painted distressed blue, that I would be willing to donate in like new condition. It's badass.

Son, all of this is recorded on the spreadsheet...I'll make sure you get the knives, and I suggest we send the cocobolo to Tim to do the Sayas.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Mike Davis has generously agreed to donate a knife to one of the "over 15" folks. I have the specs/pics for it, but thought we might want to figure out how we are going to allocate things like this that so many of our generous vendors + members are donating. At this point, we might actually have extras between the multiple donation offers and multiple folks opting out of the Utility knives.

Justin0505
05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
At this point, we might actually have extras between the multiple donation offers and multiple folks opting out of the Utility knives.

Amazing, but not surprising.
BEST
PEOPLE
ON
ANY
FORUM
EVER!

turbochef422
05-28-2013, 05:36 PM
I can donate a 180mm petit gyuto mr itou with stag handle to one of the people left out. Just pm me when its figured out and ill ship

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
OK, it looks like we now have 13 names for 15 knives:

Iceman91
WildBoar
Justin0505
Pensacola Tiger
Choll
mc2442
BrainSausage
Pitonboy
Tgraypots
Pabloz
TK59
Rrlover
Stereo Pete

So, we have 2 unassigned utilities and multiple donation offers...I'm adding a new tab to the spreadsheet to account for those.

JohnnyChance
05-28-2013, 05:49 PM
I count 13 people waiting for Catcheside/Eamon Utilities after Son, CookinStuff, markk, SpikeC, and Karring removed themselves from the pool.

JohnnyChance
05-28-2013, 05:50 PM
OK, it looks like we now have 13 names for 15 knives:

Iceman91
WildBoar
Justin0505
Pensacola Tiger
Choll
mc2442
BrainSausage
Pitonboy
Tgraypots
Pabloz
TK59
Rrlover
Stereo Pete

So, we have 2 unassigned utilities and multiple donation offers...I'm adding a new tab to the spreadsheet to account for those.

Beat me to it. Any of the ones who removed themselves and want back in should have first crack at the "extra" 2.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 05:53 PM
So, my ironwood sayas are no goes, eh? Haha.

Nice work, guys.

JohnnyChance
05-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Anyone other than cclin missing items that were not in the boxes given to Zwiefel? His missing items should also be considered if and when we distribute extra and donated items.

JohnnyChance
05-28-2013, 05:55 PM
So, my ironwood sayas are no goes, eh? Haha.

Nice work, guys.

Tim Johnson has offered to make any sandwich style sayas required.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Oh...Tim's a very generous and talented guy, but it feels wrong. I must not have read that post earlier on. This community truly is unbelievable!

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Tim Johnson has offered to make any sandwich style sayas required.

Yes...Son has donated the cocobolo to anyone who needs it...

Anyone other than cclin missing items that were not in the boxes given to Zwiefel? His missing items should also be considered if and when we distribute extra and donated items.

:plus1:

Beat me to it. Any of the ones who removed themselves and want back in should have first crack at the "extra" 2.

3 now, tgraypots was another error in the list.

It's worth noting that 5 of the "over 15" have turned out to be errors in the list.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Thanks SpikeC and Mr. Drinky. This means we are down to 16.
I'll send a PM to Mr. Drinky to make arrangements to send his Koa home, since I think this means he has nothing else to wait for.

Son, all of this is recorded on the spreadsheet...I'll make sure you get the knives, and I suggest we send the cocobolo to Tim to do the Sayas.

Sounds good to me

JohnnyChance
05-28-2013, 06:04 PM
It's worth noting that 5 of the "over 15" have turned out to be errors in the list.

It appears his record keeping was as poor as his cutlery service and book keeping abilities.

WillC
05-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Thank you Guys, this is looking very positive. I don't see any reason now why anyone will be without a knife, though I respect any decisions to drop out entirely, perhaps rather just take a break from the thread and see if you would like one of the knives kindly offered instead at a later time.

We can always come back to who gets what later, let us assume that everyone on the list is getting a knife either Utility or donated. If anyone really does not want it, when it comes time, it can be sold to refund something or someone or for the greater good.

So I think we can draw a line under the whole list thing and move on to getting things shipped on to be finished.
I will turn my thoughts to this over the next few days and see if we can move on efficiently and in elf like fashion.

You are all wonderful, I find the input here staggering.:)

Paco.McGraw
05-28-2013, 06:11 PM
If everyone who wants a knife is getting one and there are others who have dropped out, I'll jump back in.

I dropped out mostly so everyone else would have a shot.

Sam

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Yes...Son has donated the cocobolo to anyone who needs it...

3 now, tgraypots was another error in the list.

Good , restores our faith a little bit and I am glad we were wrong about this. I apologize for doubting Eamon on this one issue.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Yup, I'm glad this is the case! Eamon's a good guy who got sunk. Regardless, you guys have done awesome stuff to make this happen!

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 06:18 PM
If everyone who wants a knife is getting one and there are others who have dropped out, I'll jump back in.

I dropped out mostly so everyone else would have a shot.

Sam

Spreadsheet updated.

WillC
05-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Yup, I'm glad this is the case! Eamon's a good guy who got sunk. Regardless, you guys have done awesome stuff to make this happen!
Im glad as well, that thought was too much. Its easy to jump to conclusions in these situations. Regardless this thread was for the benefit of Eamon's customers. So we will look forward to moving this to the practical stages.:biggrin:

WildBoar
05-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Wow, things have really been hopping here the last couple days. What a roller coaster! And plenty of great stuff here from KKF members offering to help. FYI -- it says Canada by my name on the spread sheet, but I'm in the good old U S of A. Not that there's anything wrong with being north of the border though, eh?

ejd53
05-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow, things have really been hopping here the last couple days. What a roller coaster! And plenty of great stuff here from KKF members offering to help. FYI -- it says Canada by my name on the spread sheet, but I'm in the good old U S of A. Not that there's anything wrong with being north of the border though, eh?

Lol, NoVa (northern Virginia?) not Nova Scotia.

WildBoar
05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
yep, northern Virginia.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 09:09 PM
yep, northern Virginia.

Ooops....thought it was nova scotia for sure. Ill fix it.

tkern
05-28-2013, 09:38 PM
yep, northern Virginia.

Don't you mean northeast DC?

snowbrother
05-28-2013, 09:43 PM
yep, northern Virginia.

Sorry for being offtopic, but I'm from Northern Virginia as well. I didn't realize anyone else here was from here.

Now to stay on topic, all of the work everyone is doing for this is purely amazing. You guys are great.

tk59
05-28-2013, 09:59 PM
I did not order a knife from Eamon. My name should not be on the list. My comment only reflected my disbelief in the whole situation.

mc2442
05-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Wow, took a while to catch up on this thread. For the record, my history shows the Paypal payment of $250 on 8/21/12.

I would prefer to still get a knife, but am fine with whatever shakes out. Whether it is a raffle for them, paying extra to compensate those who did not get one, etc. If I end up with nothing....oh well.

I will have to go back through the post to find who was collecting for shipping and PM for details.

Matt

sachem allison
05-29-2013, 01:43 AM
I think if we get back to the point where there are 15 blades they should go back to the original 15 people on the list . whatever donated knives can be put towards shipping and whatever other expenses.

edredlee
05-29-2013, 06:28 AM
I just came back from some time off and found this thread, I ordered and paid for one of the utilities for $250, on August 22, 2012. I gotta wake up in a few hours so I power read thru the pages but the things seem quite fuzzy to me towards the end. Would/could someone summarize where this project is at the moment for someone like me who just jumped in to this massive thread? Is there any chance of receiving the knife I had ordered at all? Thank you all in advance..

edredlee
05-29-2013, 06:35 AM
Also if this helps at all, I remember being the last one of the extra 5s(the 15th?), as I jumped on the opportunity of someone backing out last minute, paid Eamon, then he closed the list.
I have a screenshot of my order confirmation also if someone needs the information. Thank you.

WillC
05-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the information Edredlee, we will add you to the list as you are not currently on there. I remember you jumping in there. Please bear with us, as you can see we have performed an intervention on a bankrupt party here.

The List - I would like to clean it up if possible, so we have 15 numbers and 15 names. Or 16 now as the case may be, Each person on the list clarify with Zweifel if you had a special wood for the handle and what it was, I think we have most of that, or standard handle.

A couple of people wish to have their blades sent directly to them for handling themselves - this needs to be an option on there and it reduces the load.

Worker list, I will give this some thought and attention for a realistic plan of attack.
Bill Burke and John Thomas have offered to do the whole process on some knives,
John 3
Bill 1

There may be a couple of others who will prefer to do this than do a part process. This is good as it reduces the main bulk of knives, so if possible we can do the remaining bulk in one chain of processes.

What remains I would suggest would be most efficient to break it down into

Make handles - It would be easier if one person made all the handles if possible, one blade can be sent to them to work off, they are all the same and can ultimately be burned in for a tight fit.

Making Saya- We have a very kind offer to do this, again one knife will be sent as example.

Blade finishing - they are currently rough hand rubbed to 180 grit, Eamons promise was to flat them and stone finish them.

Assembly and final finish - Final rub down of the handle, burn tang in as necessary- and epoxy in place, clean up.

Honing - This could be in with final finish but it will depend on who is happy doing what. Obviously honing has to be the final final step before packing up and sending off.

I can give detailed instruction where required.

Thats a bit general, but just letting you know my thoughts on the direction this could go in. I can see shipping is going to get complicated but we need to get it done somehow. Thanks All
Will

WillC
05-29-2013, 07:38 AM
I remember the list being closed after 15 as well, which is why I was very confused when we thought there were over sales, it was all done publicly at the time. Eamons list was clearly not a list specifically for the utility.

One thing I really do not understand is how it is not possible for someone with mod access to copy the original thread so we can clearly see the 10 who signed up and the 5 extras that were allowed on top of that.
The thread does exist does it not in some kind of archive?

Pensacola Tiger
05-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I remember the list being closed after 15 as well, which is why I was very confused when we thought there were over sales, it was all done publicly at the time. Eamons list was clearly not a list specifically for the utility.

One thing I really do not understand is how it is not possible for someone with mod access to copy the original thread so we can clearly see the 10 who signed up and the 5 extras that were allowed on top of that.
The thread does exist does it not in some kind of archive?

Will,

I will clean up the list and post a summary here in this thread later today.

I think that Dave Martell has mentioned that the original thread was deleted instead of archived.

Rick

Pensacola Tiger
05-29-2013, 09:54 AM
This is a summary of the latest status of the utility knives, based on replies to my private messages to members and posts on this thread. Please let me or Zwiefel know if any of the information is incorrect, or if you paid for a knife, but your name is not on the list, let us know ASAP. Thanks.

The following members will get a knife:

Justin0505 - Would like a blade and materials to finish the handle.
Paco.McGraw
Choll - Has provided stabilized koa for handle.
WildBoar
pitonboy
brainsausage
mc2442
Iceman91 - Would prefer leather sheath, if possible.
Pensacola Tiger - Has provided ironwood for handle.
edredlee
Cookinstuff

The following members have said that they no longer want their knife, and have “donated” it to help provide funds for “reparations”:

markk
sachem allison
mr drinky - Provided wood for handle that needs to be returned.
SpikeC
PabloZ

mhenry
05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
I offered a few days ago, just wanted to say again that I am willing to help out.

HHH Knives
05-29-2013, 10:24 AM
Good morning guys. I found this thread just recently and really want to say WOW! The community here is unlike anywhere else on the web. My hats off to one and all!!

Im honored and proud to be a small part of this awesome group of KNIFE KNUTS!

If I can help. Let me know.

lowercasebill
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the information Edredlee, we will add you to the list as you are not currently on there. I remember you jumping in there. Please bear with us, as you can see we have performed an intervention on a bankrupt party here.

The List - I would like to clean it up if possible, so we have 15 numbers and 15 names. Or 16 now as the case may be, Each person on the list clarify with Zweifel if you had a special wood for the handle and what it was, I think we have most of that, or standard handle.

A couple of people wish to have their blades sent directly to them for handling themselves - this needs to be an option on there and it reduces the load.

Worker list, I will give this some thought and attention for a realistic plan of attack.
Bill Burke and John Thomas have offered to do the whole process on some knives,
John 3
Bill 1

There may be a couple of others who will prefer to do this than do a part process. This is good as it reduces the main bulk of knives, so if possible we can do the remaining bulk in one chain of processes.

What remains I would suggest would be most efficient to break it down into

Make handles - It would be easier if one person made all the handles if possible, one blade can be sent to them to work off, they are all the same and can ultimately be burned in for a tight fit.

Making Saya- We have a very kind offer to do this, again one knife will be sent as example.

Blade finishing - they are currently rough hand rubbed to 180 grit, Eamons promise was to flat them and stone finish them.

Assembly and final finish - Final rub down of the handle, burn tang in as necessary- and epoxy in place, clean up.

Honing - This could be in with final finish but it will depend on who is happy doing what. Obviously honing has to be the final final step before packing up and sending off.

I can give detailed instruction where required.

Thats a bit general, but just letting you know my thoughts on the direction this could go in. I can see shipping is going to get complicated but we need to get it done somehow. Thanks All
Will
I can finish and or hone. I can hand rub with wet dry to what every grit/finish is needed.. all the way to crocus paper... diamond spray on champagne cork and I have the pads from lee valley that go to 12000? I have other 'stuff' too. be a good excuse to buy that .25 micron diamond powder :cool2: or I can purchase and ship finishing supplies to whomever
lcb

Zwiefel
05-29-2013, 02:19 PM
I offered a few days ago, just wanted to say again that I am willing to help out.

I got your name on the list this time, sorry I missed it the first time around.

If I can help. Let me know.

I got your name on the list as well.

I can finish and or hone. I can hand rub with wet dry to what every grit/finish is needed.. all the way to crocus paper... diamond spray on champagne cork and I have the pads from lee valley that go to 12000? I have other 'stuff' too. be a good excuse to buy that .25 micron diamond powder :cool2: or I can purchase and ship finishing supplies to whomever
lcb

Got your name on the list as well.

Many thanks to everyone for volunteering their time and skills to help!

Wow, took a while to catch up on this thread. For the record, my history shows the Paypal payment of $250 on 8/21/12.

I would prefer to still get a knife, but am fine with whatever shakes out. Whether it is a raffle for them, paying extra to compensate those who did not get one, etc. If I end up with nothing....oh well.

I will have to go back through the post to find who was collecting for shipping and PM for details.

Matt

You're on the list now Matt, also thank you for your very generous donation to the shipping kitty!

This is a summary of the latest status of the utility knives, based on replies to my private messages to members and posts on this thread. Please let me or Zwiefel know if any of the information is incorrect, or if you paid for a knife, but your name is not on the list, let us know ASAP. Thanks.

The following members will get a knife:

Justin0505 - Would like a blade and materials to finish the handle.
Paco.McGraw
Choll - Has provided stabilized koa for handle.
WildBoar
pitonboy
brainsausage
mc2442
Iceman91 - Would prefer leather sheath, if possible.
Pensacola Tiger - Has provided ironwood for handle.
edredlee
Cookinstuff

The following members have said that they no longer want their knife, and have “donated” it to help provide funds for “reparations”:

markk
sachem allison
mr drinky - Provided wood for handle that needs to be returned.
SpikeC
PabloZ

Thanks so much for jumping in and helping out with this Rick, I was out of commission for most of the night with some mild-food poisoning and you kept the ball rolling.

WillC
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Guys its all there, with all the generous offers of help. I have a plan just need to go through the thread and organize it properly. I will have a chance to do that tomorrow after work. But please anything you would like to contribute or ideas add away and I will look over it all tomorrow and make a proposal for a plan of action. The postage im not sure about yet, many have offered to contribute even some not waiting on anything! So I think probably a postage kitty is the fairest way to do it, from which people may be compensated from, that way no one is down more than anyone else. If this were fair and acceptable to the group. I believe we have a nice list of workers and possible tasks, so this will help me work it out tomorrow. Sorry not to do it today but the time was not available. Thanks All, we will get there.
Will

Heath Besch
05-29-2013, 09:48 PM
What a mess...

I will donate a blade toward the raffle, though there will be no customization. 170-180mm petty chef that is (my go to knife size these days) in AEB-L or 52100 or 19C27. Completion wise it will take me probably up to 6 weeks, as I need to get my paid up custom orders and unfinished ready-made orders straight first.

Anyway, one way or another, we will sort this out. Maybe other makers will step up with a similar gesture.

Eamon, if you read this, you are off the hook, but please return the remaining knives you owe folks. This would be a good start in your rehabilitation in the eyes of the community.

M

I would be more than please to step up to the plate with a donation like Markos. Either a 180 petty or a 210 suji, new owners choice!

Zwiefel
05-29-2013, 10:29 PM
I would be more than please to step up to the plate with a donation like Markos. Either a 180 petty or a 210 suji, new owners choice!

Wow...we are going to be spoiled for choice soon! I added your generous offer to the spreadsheet.

toddnmd
05-29-2013, 11:47 PM

Very cool of you to join in with Marko (and I'm not sure who else).

I would happily participate in some type of raffle that would help some folks get their money back, if they prefer that to the finished blade. The gestures and community spirit in this whole effort have left a deep impression on me. I'd love the chance to have some part of that.

And I really, really hope the folks who sent in knives will have them returned. While I can understand unfinished projects, keeping people's property is just totally wrong.

mc2442
05-30-2013, 12:46 AM
I forgot about it, but the walnut block is mine, from an email going back over things:

Order Date: 8/25/12
Payment By: Check/Money Order
Confirmation No: B1855784C9
Shipment Tracking:

Burl Source Web Store Items
1 #4013 Stabilized Claro Walnut Burl @ $60.00 = $60.00

Sub-Total: $60.00

Shipping: $0.00 (USPS Priority Mail)

Sales Tax: $0.00

Burl Source Web Store Total: $60.00

Store Credit: -$0.00

TOTAL DUE: $60.00

Special Instructions:
Please hold for Eamon Burke, as this will be used for an order from him.

mc2442
05-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Actually, now I think he might have paid for it and was going to bill me later......guess I will keep digging to find out for sure.

mc2442
05-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Sorry for the multiple posts, but can not edit the last.

Nope, I don't show paying for it, so he did and was going to bill me later. I can buy it now with the money going into whatever kitty, or am open to any other option.

WillC
05-30-2013, 05:39 AM
Ok thats great Mc, So there is a little money left in your job. Yes please it can go in the postage kitty when that is arranged.

Ok Just to confirm all the handle and saya details and those who just want to be sent the knife and materials as a kit to handle or get handled.

In this list name-saya material-handle material

Iceman- leather - Standard
Wildboar - Standard - Standard
Justin - (Send blade and materials direct)
Pensacola T - Ironwood? - Ironwood
Choll - Standard? - Koa
Mc2442 - Standard - Walnut burl
Brainsausage - Standard - Standard
Pitonboy - (Send blade materials direct)
PacoMcgraw - Standard - Standard
Cookinstuff - Standard - Standard
Edredlee - Standard - Standard

Just read through and confirm or ask to be changed, extra blades will be finished with what materials are available to be sold on to the benefit of the group.

WillC
05-30-2013, 05:49 AM
List forward https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE#gid=0

WillC
05-30-2013, 06:16 AM
First I am working through this list of volunteered services.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE#gid=3

I would like to confirm and establish is which makers will take "Whole process" Knives , as it will greatly reduce and simplify the mass of work...that is to do the following.

Flat blade on diamond stones and give a stone finish to the bevels.
Make handle as specified with materials allocated.
Fix handle to blade
Final finish
Honing
Send to customer with money from postage kitty.

Whole process
John Thomas has been volunteered to do 3
Bill burke 1

Other makers and experienced guys from the list

Don Nyugen
Spike C
Kalaeb
HHH
M Henry

I would say Marko, but you have offered allot. But If we dont need a donation knife, and we have the Saya covered by Taz, so if your free you could do a couple whole process.

Any of you guys or anyone who can confidently offer "Full process" please add the number of knives you can finish and handle. (All work except saya)

Once we have this, we can specify job and materials to each and send these off. The rest will split the jobs up into speciality.

Taz has kindly volunteered to make all 15 saya. This is too good an offer to turn down, thankyou. He will need a blade as example. There is a slight length variation so send the longest.

On the postage Kitty, did we have a paypal volunteer to be our banker?

WillC
05-30-2013, 06:43 AM
In fact if we can get all 15 knives off to makers for "whole process" It will simplify things greatly and reduce postage costs. So lets see if we can, myself and T.B london can always jump in, but we are trying to avoid international shipping and uk customs headache.

mc2442
05-30-2013, 10:44 AM
On the postage Kitty, did we have a paypal volunteer to be our banker?

I believe Zwiefel has offered. I had sent him a postage contribution previously, and will send him money for the handle material tonight. Let me know if anything changed.

Zwiefel
05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
I believe Zwiefel has offered. I had sent him a postage contribution previously, and will send him money for the handle material tonight. Let me know if anything changed.

I started a shipping kitty (There is a tab on the spreadsheet with the details for this so far)...but I'm happy to do whatever you all find useful.

Mike Davis
05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
I can do the leather sheath for Iceman if needed. I have a ton of leather and he is only an hour from me. Also i can help with anything else that is needed...be it blades, handles or what not

WillC
05-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Hey Mike if you could do "whole process" on one or two knives, that would be amazing. Taz is making 15 saya very kindly.

Mike Davis
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Not a problem at all.Just let me know what i am doing :)

Paco.McGraw
05-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Who do we send money to for the shipping kitty? I would like to donate.

Sam

Don Nguyen
05-30-2013, 01:31 PM
I can do 1 complete knife, but I don't know about stone finishes (I usually just finish with sandpaper). Would that just be something like with a fingerstone?

WillC
05-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks Don.
I think a nice hand rubbed finish might be acceptable, I will put it out there and ask those waiting for knives If that would be ok?
It may just be a bit more work the first time the knife is thinned.

WillC
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Zwiefel is kindly doing the shipping Kitty. See the spreadsheet, many thanks.
Will

I started a shipping kitty (There is a tab on the spreadsheet with the details for this so far)...but I'm happy to do whatever you all find useful.

Zwiefel
05-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Who do we send money to for the shipping kitty? I would like to donate.

Sam

PM Sent.

Zwiefel is kindly doing the shipping Kitty. See the spreadsheet, many thanks.
Will

Anyone who wants to contribute to the shipping kitty, please PM me and I'll respond with PayPal information.

Zwiefel
05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Ok thats great Mc, So there is a little money left in your job. Yes please it can go in the postage kitty when that is arranged.

Ok Just to confirm all the handle and saya details and those who just want to be sent the knife and materials as a kit to handle or get handled.

Choll - Standard? - Koa

Just read through and confirm or ask to be changed, extra blades will be finished with what materials are available to be sold on to the benefit of the group.

Spreadsheet modified and updated with this info. Please let me know if I missed anything or got something wrong.

Spreadsheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE&usp=sharing

sachem allison
05-30-2013, 02:23 PM
So, This so far is the thread only for the utilities. Have we figured out what happened to everyone else's knives and saya work and how are we going to handle that? Is the other thread still open?

Zwiefel
05-30-2013, 02:32 PM
So, This so far is the thread only for the utilities. Have we figured out what happened to everyone else's knives and saya work and how are we going to handle that? Is the other thread still open?

Dave closed the other thread and referred everyone to this thread. So I merged the spreadsheets. Seems like we should try to wrap that up here?

sachem allison
05-30-2013, 02:33 PM
never mind just, saw the list. Thanks, Z

Paco.McGraw
05-30-2013, 06:07 PM
I just spoke to Dave, He said he would be able do the work needed on mine when he does the other work I have with him.

Sam

Zwiefel
05-30-2013, 07:08 PM
USPS will pickup the cocobolo to go to Taz575 tomorrow.

Pensacola Tiger
05-30-2013, 08:56 PM
I can do 1 complete knife, but I don't know about stone finishes (I usually just finish with sandpaper). Would that just be something like with a fingerstone?

Don,

I'd like to have you finish my knife, if you would. Let me PM Will and see if that will work.

Rick

EdipisReks
05-30-2013, 08:58 PM
I, unfortunately, can't do handle work, but I'm still more than happy to do blade finishing.

sachem allison
05-30-2013, 09:17 PM
USPS will pickup the cocobolo to go to Taz575 tomorrow.

excellent!

Zwiefel
05-30-2013, 09:22 PM
excellent!

We'll see how they like my packaging job on such an awkward (for me) item!

Iceman91
05-31-2013, 12:06 AM

Choll - Standard? - Koa

If everyone is doing wood sayas, i am more than happy with that as well.

Mike

Gravy Power
05-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Sorry, been following this thread over the past few days, but what exactly happened to Eamon? Is there a thread that sums it up?

Zwiefel
05-31-2013, 12:47 AM
I'll stick to the facts as I understand them: he's moving to Rockport, TX (his hometown) to finish his degree and has closed up shop on Burke Cutlery.

mc2442
05-31-2013, 01:48 AM
Sent Zwiefel $60 for the walnut block to add to the kitty.

Zwiefel
05-31-2013, 01:52 AM
Sent Zwiefel $60 for the walnut block to add to the kitty.

TYS! Spreadsheet updated. I have kept it separate from the shipping funds until a decision is made on what to do with the cash.

WillC
06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Thank you lowercase Bill, you will be added to the list.

lcb

WillC
06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Choll - Standard? - Koa

So 11 here minus 2 which will have their knives direct, have I missed any which are having the blades handled or doing it themselves?

Leaves 9, hopefully we can do them all with whole process makers....just to remind you what I mean

Whole process

Flat blade on diamond stones and give a stone finish to the bevels.
Make handle as specified with materials allocated.
Fix handle to blade
Final finish
Honing
Send to customer with money from postage kitty.

It will save allot of time and postage if we can do it this way. We can use the work chain method if we have to, and thanks for all the offers. But if we can do it like this it will be straight forward- ish:D

Whole process

John Thomas 3
Bill burke 1
Don Nguyen 1
Mike Davis 2

So thats 7 covered so far. Im sure I can rustle up some more via pm when I find the time...

WillC
06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Actually, I will do two blades, I can wip it on here, which can help everyone else's end up most similar. And if we are sending two and materials to me, we may as well send two for T.B and I will send them on to him, if thats cool with you T.B?
I'll straighten some stuff out via pm and send shipping instructions.

Whole process

John Thomas 3
Bill burke 1
Don Nguyen 1
Mike Davis 2
Will Catcheside 2
T.B.London 2

So 11/15 blades covered with whole process makers. Getting there:spin chair:

JohnnyChance
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Send me some, or the remainder. Between myself, Tim and Marko we can do complete packages.

WillC
06-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Brilliant I reccon we have them all covered then, we will get to the business of getting addresses to Zweifel and making sure the postage Kitty is enough. Many thanks all, your amazing:biggrin:

Zwiefel
06-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Brilliant I reccon we have them all covered then, we will get to the business of getting addresses to Zweifel and making sure the postage Kitty is enough. Many thanks all, your amazing:biggrin:

Awesome! And yes...brilliant lot of folks we have here. I'm still working on a micrometer to take measurements for the sayas. I'll try to make that happen today.

JohnnyChance
06-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Awesome! And yes...brilliant lot of folks we have here. I'm still working on a micrometer to take measurements for the sayas. I'll try to make that happen today.

If I get some blades and Tim is making the remainder of the sayas, you don't have to worry about measurements. He lives less than half an hour from me.

TB_London
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Actually, I will do two blades, I can wip it on here, which can help everyone else's end up most similar. And if we are sending two and materials to me, we may as well send two for T.B and I will send them on to him, if thats cool with you T.B?
I'll straighten some stuff out via pm and send shipping instructions.

Whole process

John Thomas 3
Bill burke 1
Don Nguyen 1
Mike Davis 2
Will Catcheside 2
T.B.London 2

So 11/15 blades covered with whole process makers. Getting there:spin chair:

Awesome, i don't mind doing a couple more if it'll help out. I sent Z some kitty money for postage which should just about cover getting the blanks to the UK.

Zwiefel
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
If I get some blades and Tim is making the remainder of the sayas, you don't have to worry about measurements. He lives less than half an hour from me.

Will suggested I send Tim the longest blade, and the measurement of the thickest one to make sure the Sayas will work for all the knives.

Speaking of, that would be thickness over the heel, correct?

JohnnyChance
06-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Will suggested I send Tim the longest blade, and the measurement of the thickest one to make sure the Sayas will work for all the knives.

Speaking of, that would be thickness over the heel, correct?

The saya will extend all the way to the handle, so measure the tang about 2cm back from the heel.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zps8f333cfa.jpg

Or just send us the longest one and the thickest one.

Zwiefel
06-04-2013, 04:46 PM
just send us the longest one and the thickest one.

that would be far too sensible :eyebrow:

I'll do exactly that.

SpikeC
06-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I can do a couple of them if need as well.

Zwiefel
06-04-2013, 06:36 PM
I can do a couple of them if need as well.

We've got you on the list SpikeC. If anyone wants to take a look at the current state of the inventory, kitty, volunteers, etc., it can all be found here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE&usp=sharing

Zwiefel
06-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Also, the Cocobolo arrived safely at Tim's yesterday.

sachem allison
06-04-2013, 07:13 PM
excellent

Zwiefel
06-04-2013, 11:31 PM
The saya will extend all the way to the handle, so measure the tang about 2cm back from the heel.
Or just send us the longest one and the thickest one.

Done, threw in the shortest for good measure, USPS picking up tomorrow. I will not repeat my wife's comment when she saw me taking this photo:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5450/8954107681_56db1ab6fe.jpg

cclin
06-05-2013, 06:55 PM
I received my DT itk & Butch Harner gyuto back from Eamon! It's has been a long time and I almost forgot how nice these knives feel! I want to thanks everyone here & specially thanks Marko making a saya for the Butch gyuto.:2thumbsup:

jaybett
06-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I received my DT itk & Butch Harner gyuto back from Eamon! It's has been a long time and I almost forgot how nice these knives feel! I want to thanks everyone here & specially thanks Marko making a saya for the Butch gyuto.:2thumbsup:

That's go to be a relief!

Jay

Von blewitt
06-05-2013, 07:28 PM
That's Great Charles!!!

Pensacola Tiger
06-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Great news, Charles!

knyfeknerd
06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Glad to hear it Charles! Now we need pics!

EdipisReks
06-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Glad to hear it Charles! Now we need pics!

x2

Zwiefel
06-05-2013, 08:22 PM

really great news! Good day to be cclin :doublethumbsup:

cclin
06-05-2013, 08:27 PM
THANKS!! :laugh:
I was sad because Eamon won't reply any of my e-mail.... I'm so surprise to see a package from Burke cutlery pop up on my front door!!
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s482/54cclin/20130605_160200_zps00ed64eb.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/54cclin/media/20130605_160200_zps00ed64eb.jpg.html)

Johnny.B.Good
06-05-2013, 09:31 PM
What a relief!

Nice looking knives, Charles. :)

Don Nguyen
06-06-2013, 01:47 AM
MHURRMMGGHH.... that ITK profile is off the wall!

chinacats
06-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Congrats Charles, so glad they found their way home.

eaglerock
06-06-2013, 07:11 AM
I'm so happy to see people helping each others and i'm glad every one got their knives back :)

ChiliPepper
06-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Jeez, that ITK profile's so flat it's borderline with having a bird's beak!

DevinT
06-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Looks like that ITK has been sharpened a few times.

Very glad to see that you got your knives back.

Thanks Eamon.

Hoss

Brad Gibson
06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
I would never let those knives out of my grasp!

Zwiefel
06-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Dear Gentlepersons,

I'm going to be taking a combo work trip and vacation at the end of next week. This will keep me away from my home for several weeks (3-5), which will prevent me from putting any of these items in the post. It might however, give me the opportunity to drop some things off in person.

Just wanted to let you all know with a bit of warning.

Zwiefel
06-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Looks like Taz did about 70% of the work on the Sayas today! Still need a bit of sanding, a couple of coats of finish, etc. There are pics available on his photobucket account.

Do you all want holes pre-drilled for pins?
What are we going to do for pins, actually?

Pensacola Tiger
06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Looks like Taz did about 70% of the work on the Sayas today! Still need a bit of sanding, a couple of coats of finish, etc. There are pics available on his photobucket account.

Do you all want holes pre-drilled for pins?
What are we going to do for pins, actually?

Eamon used cut down bridge pins.

http://www.amazon.com/WD-Music-BPBDLX-Deluxe-Bridge/dp/B006X0UCKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370902889&sr=8-2&keywords=bridge+pins

I'd prefer my saya to be undrilled so I can do it myself.

tk59
06-11-2013, 12:10 AM
MHURRMMGGHH.... that ITK profile is off the wall!Yeah. That knife has surely been around the block more than a couple of times. :)

Zwiefel
06-11-2013, 12:27 AM
I'd prefer my saya to be undrilled so I can do it myself.

Thanks PT, noted on the spreadsheet.

Anybody else?

Iceman91
06-11-2013, 12:46 AM
I would like mine drilled please! Thanks

Mike

WildBoar
06-11-2013, 01:22 AM
drilled please. Thanks.

Zwiefel
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
drilled please. Thanks.

Noted on the spreadsheet. TYS.

Zwiefel
06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Looks like I'll get 4 blades out the door today/tomorrow, 2 with the custom materials for the handles.

Thanks again to Don Nguyen, Mike Davis, and Bill Burke! for volunteering their valuable time and skills to bring this project to a successful close.

Will try to get another package ready tomorrow with 3 blades for John Thomas.

That will complete the list of folks that WillC identified for "the whole process."

WillC
06-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Sorry Guys I have neglected this. Have been dealing with a pretty important thing for my business, its a good thing, ill let you all know in due course as things evolve.
Anyway here is where we are
Whole process

John Thomas 3
Bill burke 1
Don Nguyen 1
Mike Davis 2
Will Catcheside 2
T.B.London 2
Johnny 2?
Marko 2?

That would be all 15 covered.
Z I see you have sent out some pm's thank you. You have been a rock. Could you all make sure you send you shipping info to Zweifel.
Mine and T.B's can go together. I'll send you my details and notes so I don't get charged duty on them.
Some are going to Tim? Can Tim post them on to makers from there.
How is the postage kitty doing? Will we have enough to cover postage for this first stage at the moment?
Cheers All
Will

Zwiefel
06-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Sorry Guys I have neglected this. Have been dealing with a pretty important thing for my business, its a good thing, ill let you all know in due course as things evolve.
Anyway here is where we are
Whole process

John Thomas 3
Bill burke 1
Don Nguyen 1
Mike Davis 2
Will Catcheside 2
T.B.London 2
Johnny 2?
Marko 2?

That would be all 15 covered.
Z I see you have sent out some pm's thank you. You have been a rock. Could you all make sure you send you shipping info to Zweifel.
Mine and T.B's can go together. I'll send you my details and notes so I don't get charged duty on them.
Some are going to Tim? Can Tim post them on to makers from there.
How is the postage kitty doing? Will we have enough to cover postage for this first stage at the moment?
Cheers All
Will

Thanks Will! Tim has 3 of the blades. I believe he, Johnny Chance, and Marko(?) are going to finish them and put handles on them, so I don't expect us to need to ship them on from there.

Here's the tally right now:

Tim/Johnny/Marko: 3 Received
Bill Burke: 1 Posted Tomorrow(including walnut burl for mc2442)
Don Nguyen: 1 Posted Tomorrow
Mike Davis: 2 Posted Tomorrow (including Ironwood scales for Pensacola Tiger)
John Thomas: 3 getting shipping info from Devin, will probably include KOA from choll
Will/TB_London: 4 getting shipping info, will include various partially finished handles from Eamon

That tallies to 14, due to the 3 sent to Tim for the Sayas...I can ship one or more to Tim/Johnny/Marko if that's what makes the most sense.

The Kitty is pretty good right now, the total after today's shipping is $259.79 I'm not sure what the shipping to the UK will be, but the average here in the states has been ~$10.

HTH!
Z

Zwiefel
06-12-2013, 12:27 AM
John Thomas: 3 getting shipping info from Devin, will probably include KOA from choll
Will/TB_London: 4 getting shipping info, will include various partially finished handles from Eamon

Have shipping info for these, will post tomorrow. Once I confirm with Tim/JohnnyChance, I'll ship the remaining blade and 4 blocks (Choll's Koa, and 3 ironwood blocks donated by Son) for these 4.

That should be all of the blades.

There is still a significant amount of material left after this. Any ideas for what to do with it all? It includes several stones in good condition, some nice leather for strops, and several pieces of interesting, but unstabilized wood.

sachem allison
06-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks everyone for doing this, You guys are awesome. Now who wants to make me some sayas.lol Got no more money and nothing else to give away. counted all the knives I originally traded for sayas and rehandle work and it comes out to 11 sayas and 2 rehandles. If anyone is interested I would be most appreciative if not I understand, I'll just old school them (cardboard and electrical tape.lol Maybe I can find some really big mouse traps.

mc2442
06-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Thanks Will! Tim has 3 of the blades. I believe he, Johnny Chance, and Marko(?) are going to finish them and put handles on them, so I don't expect us to need to ship them on from there.

Here's the tally right now:

Tim/Johnny/Marko: 3 Received
Bill Burke: 1 Posted Tomorrow(including walnut burl for mc2442)
Don Nguyen: 1 Posted Tomorrow
Mike Davis: 2 Posted Tomorrow (including Ironwood scales for Pensacola Tiger)

That tallies to 14, due to the 3 sent to Tim for the Sayas...I can ship one or more to Tim/Johnny/Marko if that's what makes the most sense.

The Kitty is pretty good right now, the total after today's shipping is $259.79 I'm not sure what the shipping to the UK will be, but the average here in the states has been ~$10.

HTH!
Z

Thank you all for doing this! Especially Bill :doublethumbsup:

Zwiefel
06-12-2013, 02:28 AM
Maybe I can find some really big mouse traps.

:lol2:

I was just thinking about that thread the other day.

edredlee
06-12-2013, 04:35 AM
I haven't been checking the forum as I am getting ready to move to japan as early as this fall to as late as this winter. I just want to thank the people who got this rolling, the folks who are volunteering their time and efforts, the members who have donated. An amazing group of individuals here no doubt.

ecchef
06-12-2013, 06:45 AM
edredlee....where in Japan are moving to?

toddnmd
06-12-2013, 09:00 AM
If any of the folks who have helped out have an interest in any of those things, just give it to them as a token of appreciation.

Or put it up for sale. Or list it, have people make a single bid for the items they're interested in, and sell to the highest bidder. I'm not sure if there are still outstanding costs. If there is extra money, it could also be given to some of the good folks who helped out on this. I suspect some folks might be extra generous with their bids, being inspired by all the graciousness and teamwork of all those who have been working on this project.

There is still a significant amount of material left after this. Any ideas for what to do with it all? It includes several stones in good condition, some nice leather for strops, and several pieces of interesting, but unstabilized wood.

77kath
06-12-2013, 09:28 AM
I'd be interested in strops or stones. Would be willing to bid or send in another contribution.

kalaeb
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM

I think Will got taken for a substiantial amount, perhaps some reserve for him?

Mrmnms
06-12-2013, 12:21 PM
great idea

WillC
06-12-2013, 12:44 PM
A little info on the blades and finishing. I will do a wip when I get mine.
The blades have only a fairly course rub with 180 grit against the last belt grain. Should make flatting easier. They will want a good go on a 300 ish diamond plate, that will show any remaining belt marks, high/low spots which need to work out on the diamond.
After the bevels are flat, course muddy stone, then something like 1000 grit to finish on will be plenty.
The idea was just to have flat stone finish bevels, ready to be thinned as they are sharpened with every future sharpening.

Don't worry about me Guys as far as money. I had a deposit at least from Eamon and I would not feel right making money off a situation like this. It was a while ago now and while we all I have bad luck from time to time, I have also had plenty of good luck to keep me going.:)

Cheers All

Zwiefel
06-13-2013, 12:37 AM
A little update.

14 of 15 blades have been posted to folks doing the work. most of the handle materials have been shipped...but I think I failed to put some in a couple of the boxes...if you guys let me know who I missed, I have some more scales (ironwood maybe?) for a few more blades.

shipping some koa and ironwood blocks to Taz tomorrow for the 3 blades he and JohnnyChance are working on.

Will ship the final blade with a block of ironwood to Chef Niloc--so he can make a leather saya for Iceman91--as soon as I have an address.

Looks like we'll be able to get all of this material to folks who can actually do something useful with it (a.k.a. not me!) before I leave on Friday. Really happy to see this kicking into full gear. Thanks to everyone who volunteered labor, shipping funds, materials, and encouragement. What an excellent community we have!

Chef Niloc
06-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Address sent

A little update.

14 of 15 blades have been posted to folks doing the work. most of the handle materials have been shipped...but I think I failed to put some in a couple of the boxes...if you guys let me know who I missed, I have some more scales (ironwood maybe?) for a few more blades.

shipping some koa and ironwood blocks to Taz tomorrow for the 3 blades he and JohnnyChance are working on.

Will ship the final blade with a block of ironwood to Chef Niloc--so he can make a leather saya for Iceman91--as soon as I have an address.

Looks like we'll be able to get all of this material to folks who can actually do something useful with it (a.k.a. not me!) before I leave on Friday. Really happy to see this kicking into full gear. Thanks to everyone who volunteered labor, shipping funds, materials, and encouragement. What an excellent community we have!

Crothcipt
06-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Damn. Great looking work there Johny.

Zwiefel
06-13-2013, 01:27 AM
Damn. Great looking work there Johny.

JohnnyChance and Taz did an awesome job with getting the sayas ready...and so quickly too!

Zwiefel
06-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Address sent

Wasn't trying to bust you...sorry if it seemed that way.

Package is ready for USPS to pickup tomorrow. That means ALL of the blades will be out for finishing work as of tomorrow. The sayas only need a finish coat and holes for pins (we're waiting for a finaly tally of drilled/undrilled for that).

Much has been accomplished in the last 7ish days.

Crothcipt
06-13-2013, 01:54 AM

JohnnyChance and Taz did an awesome job with getting the sayas ready...and so quickly too!
It looks like Johnny's pics were deleted due to some rules about posting work done. They were done at 400 grit, with son's donated wood.

WildBoar
06-13-2013, 01:54 AM
You guys rock :thumbsup:

Zwiefel
06-13-2013, 02:02 AM
It looks like Johnny's pics were deleted due to some rules about posting work done. They were done at 400 grit, with son's donated wood.

I never even saw that they were posted...yeah, I think WillC is the only one that will be able to post any WiPs. For those of you that know me off the forum, I'm happy to point you to the photos. I'm sure the same would go for JohnnyChance + Taz.

Lefty
06-13-2013, 01:10 PM
This is amazing, guys! Keep up the great work.

Bulldogbacchus
06-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I've not been on this forum during the last couple months. Remarkable effort by Will and all you others. Quite remarkable. I paid Eamon for one of these too.... I'm counting that one as lost with the wind. I just received two stainless knives from Will that I commissioned last year. Wow, they make up for the "windage".

Kudos to you all!

Matt

Zwiefel
06-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Matt,

I just checked the spreadsheet and confired that we have two of these that have no named recipient. I put you down for one of them.

Z

Bulldogbacchus
06-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Matt,

I just checked the spreadsheet and confired that we have two of these that have no named recipient. I put you down for one of them.

Z

Hey man, thanks, but I'm good. Ive not read all 41 pages of this thread, so I don't know..... But if there is a blade already made out there somewhere, my request would be give it to Sachem and he can do with it as he pleases.

Regards

Matt

Lefty
06-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Good to see you back, Matt! If you're really not wanting to get the knife, I think putting the names of those who helped outpout into the kitty and drawing the knife is the best thing to do. It's up to everyone, but it's a thought.

WillC
06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks to a very helpful Elf....we have all the Saya done. Thanks!
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/WCBS_zps15104cd5.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/WCBS_zps15104cd5.jpg.html)

Mrmnms
06-19-2013, 02:15 PM
That Elf's work looks most familiar. Should be on this forum. Great team we have here.

Crothcipt
06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Will I am glad you posted those. They needed to be seen by more than 1 person on the forum. Really stunning work.

Zwiefel
06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
And props to Son for donating this awesome cocobola. Great work all the way around, thanks for getting this up WillC.

Zwiefel
06-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Is everything going OK with the work on handles/finishing/etc.? Does anybody need anything?

WillC
06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
I have zee package! Excellent work, I will try and find a few hours this week to start. ;)

DevinT
07-13-2013, 11:25 PM
These three are done. Please let me know where to send them.

Handles are black paper micarta and bocote.

Hoss

NO ChoP!
07-13-2013, 11:47 PM
Thanks everyone for doing this, You guys are awesome. Now who wants to make me some sayas.lol Got no more money and nothing else to give away. counted all the knives I originally traded for sayas and rehandle work and it comes out to 11 sayas and 2 rehandles. If anyone is interested I would be most appreciative if not I understand, I'll just old school them (cardboard and electrical tape.lol Maybe I can find some really big mouse traps.

Son, shoot me a pm, I'd do a saya or two for you.....

Chris

sachem allison
07-14-2013, 12:30 AM

Hossnice!

ThEoRy
07-14-2013, 01:10 AM
Oh snap!! Big Hoss back to work!!!!

cookinstuff
07-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Wow those look great Hoss, love your black paper micarta ferrules.

Zwiefel
07-15-2013, 03:03 PM

Hoss

Those look excellent Hoss!

Not sure how to start assigning knives to particular recipients. I'll just start at the top of the spreadsheet and work down from there I guess. that means these three would go to:

Iceman91
Justin0505
WildBoar

I don't have anything in my notes about special materials for the blade for you and you are at the top of the list.

Also: do you want your Sayas pre-drilled for pins? or would you rather do that yourself?

I'll send PM's to make sure everyone sees this.

mr drinky
07-15-2013, 04:06 PM
Those look amazing -- it's a sexy little knife. Almost makes me wish I hadn't given mine up, but it will definitely make a person very pleased.

k.

Brad Gibson
07-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Lucky people who got screwed over and ended up with a DT!!!!

Pensacola Tiger
07-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Lucky people who got screwed over and ended up with a DT!!!!

Not quite a DT, Brad. The blades are Will Catecheside's work, and, unless I'm mistaken, John Thomas, Devin's son, did the handles.

Nice knives, though ...

Rick

DevinT
07-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks Rick, I ended up doing the handle work on these. These should be really nice cutters.

Hoss

WildBoar
07-15-2013, 07:11 PM
A knife w/ a DT handle will help balance the knife I have with DT Damascus but another maker's blade work/ handle :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for taking on the project Devin, and all others who have graciously jumped in to help.

Pensacola Tiger
07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks Rick, I ended up doing the handle work on these. These should be really nice cutters.

Hoss

Beautiful work, Hoss! The three getting them are lucky, indeed.

kalaeb
07-16-2013, 01:10 AM

Hoss

I had a chance to take a look at these today, real handy little knife, great handle and finish work. I don't know what they looked like when they arrived to Devin, but they are primed and ready to use now.

Brad Gibson
07-16-2013, 04:23 AM
I had a chance to take a look at these today, real handy little knife, great handle and finish work. I don't know what they looked like when they arrived to Devin, but they are primed and ready to use now.

awesome.:plus1:

WillC
07-16-2013, 02:47 PM
They look really excellent well done Devin and thank you:doublethumbsup:. I shall finally get around to mine next week, had a rough couple of weeks, machines keep braking down on me! But getting back on track.

Mucho Bocho
07-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Anything knife-related that Devin touches will increases its value. I only hope one day to have one of your tools in my kitchen. Some day

DevinT
07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
I would like to get these shipped out. Looking for three people to send these to.

Hoss

Pensacola Tiger
07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
I would like to get these shipped out. Looking for three people to send these to.

Hoss

Let me see if Will knows who they are intended for. The spreadsheet that Z made isn't clear about that.

Rick

WillC
07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
Z has pm'd the first 3 guys on the list. Just waiting to hear back with addresses and saya pin options.
First 3 are
Iceman91/justin0505/WildBoar,
If you have not already done so please send your Shipping details to Devin and saya pin options back to Z. Thanks all:)

DevinT
07-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Thank you Will, Rick, and Z.

Hoss

Zwiefel
07-19-2013, 08:24 PM
If we don't hear anything by the end of the day tomorrow from all of the 3 folks listed, let's go down the list as needed. I'll take care of that before I go to sleep tomorrow.

mr drinky
07-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Just throwing it out there, but didn't Justin want the blade and handle materials sent directly to him? I'm sure he would be happy with a DT handle so he may change his mind, but I just thought I would put that out there.

k.

Zwiefel
07-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Sayas + Pins for Justin0505, Iceman91, WildBoar have been shipped. If you want Tracking #'s, PM me.

Don Nguyen
08-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Just a quick update for myself, I am getting close to finishing. The handle is practically done, and the bevels are almost done being flattened. I just have to finish it up and should be good to go.

WillC
08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Well done Don and many thanks :) I have not forgotten mine, just a bit snowed under;)

WildBoar
08-12-2013, 04:46 PM
I received the saya about 1-1/2 weeks ago (it's really nice!), and a box from Panaca this morning :bliss:Thanks again to everyone who jumped in and rescued this project -- there is a great forum.

Zwiefel
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Excellent! I'm looking forward to photos/reviews from the recipients.

Pensacola Tiger
09-11-2013, 09:21 PM
I just received mine from Mike Davis, who generously volunteered to be one of the smiths to finish the job. Mike made a gorgeous handle from burl maple with a bocote ferrule for me.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zpsbadf80ee.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zpsbadf80ee.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps51f4e4c0.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps51f4e4c0.jpg.html)

Here's a couple of the entire knife and close ups showing the distal taper, the choil area and the grind at the heel.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps834de99f.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps834de99f.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zpse8f9228d.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zpse8f9228d.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps837e1fa1.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps837e1fa1.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps11669466.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zps11669466.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zpsa9a8fca4.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20Burke%2019%20cm%2014C28N%20utility/file_zpsa9a8fca4.jpg.html)

I've only used the knife to cut up a cantaloupe, dice a bell pepper, slice some zucchini and cut up a peach. Other than being a little shorter than the 24 cm gyutos I am accustomed to, it is a sweet knife. Eamon said that it was designed to be a knife that is a "jack of all trades" and it is.

I'll have a food release video of this knife up in the next few days, but my experience with the cantaloupe gave me the impression that the food release is very, very good.

I want to thank everyone who got involved in taking this project from the dustpile and making it a reality - Will C., Devin T., Zweifel and anyone else who volunteered their time and skills.

Rick

Pensacola Tiger
09-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Minor correction. I've been told by one of the forum wood gurus that the ferrule is ziricote, not bocote.

R.

bahamaroot
09-12-2013, 02:10 AM
You guys are truly inspiring! I've been following this soap opera for a while and it's a great feeling, even for us not involved, to see these knives being finished and starting to get into the hands of those deserving.
Any donated and leftover knives and materials should be sold and the proceeds divided among those that volunteered time and materials. YOU ALL ROCK!

Gravy Power
09-12-2013, 02:22 AM
+1. Wish I had one.

tkern
09-12-2013, 02:25 AM
Where is this at now? Does everyone have their knives back?

mc2442
09-12-2013, 03:05 AM
I think I am next in line for one, and obviously excited for this to be completed! And as voiced by many...thank you for everyone in helping complete this experience. I am sure the knives will play out to make it worth the wait, but without the extra effort for a lot of people with little to nothing to gain, this would have been for naught. Much gratitude for everyone's effort here.

WillC
09-12-2013, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the pictures, Mikes looks great. Thank you dude ;) I have not forgotten about mine, just have to find time to do them. ;)

WildBoar
09-12-2013, 11:25 AM
"jack of all trades' is fair -- been using it for everything while on vacation. Heel is mightier then most of my 240+ gyutos and the distal taper results in a nice thin tip for mincing. The DT ITK gyuto has stayed in its travel box all week; I think it's enjoying the time off.

Don Nguyen
09-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Where is this at now? Does everyone have their knives back?

I'm in the same boat as Will. Handle is done but I have to complete my disk sander to flatten the bevels (almost done).

toddnmd
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Just want to tell everyone that the collaboration on this project still really impresses me! (And a number of people who don't understand my obsession for knives, but they too are impressed that an online forum would come together to complete all this work.)

Iceman91
09-19-2013, 04:10 AM
I was one of the first three to receive one from Devin. Great little knife. Really nice grind. Cuts well and the food release is good. I put an edge on it and it sharpens up really nice, so far the edge retention has been good. Thanks to all involved, the knife is a lot of fun to use!

WillC
10-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Well I have been dragging my feet over this...sometimes its hard to get started on something, projects and commitments can build up and you can become over faced. The curse of the project I suppose..... :sad0:

Of course if your a pro you just suck it and get on with it:lol2:

Just my little joke, but not before time some progress and it felt really good. I had really not left much to do on these blades, I had to stay an extra hour at work anyway as I have something special to work on tomorrow in temper.
So I decided to work on 2 of the 4 blades I have.
I start on a diamond stone 300 grit, I have 150 grit but there is really no need. With the 300 I thin into the edge and tip a little and check it is all nice and flat into the edge. The bevel overall is subtly convex, which is fine. Im also making it as even as possible into the edge. By the time I finish here we are at about 0.1mm, did not take long it was nearly there. I had been very good and not left Eamon much of a task:D
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_165937_zps40b24c04.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_165937_zps40b24c04.jpg.html)
Next 800 grit diamond plate just to get the 300 scratches out.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_170904_zps3126b30d.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_170904_zps3126b30d.jpg.html)
Next a very soft fast cutting 1000 grit sigma stone. Horrible for sharpening, great for this sort of thing, I allow it to be slightly dipped, makes it great for this type of bevel.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_171150_zps28292520.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_171150_zps28292520.jpg.html)
So thats that on two, I did also set the bevels during the stone work, it helps bring the bevel down into the edge more easily as you work.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_172539_zps7dc6ecda.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_172539_zps7dc6ecda.jpg.html)
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_172558_zps2799ac35.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_172558_zps2799ac35.jpg.html)
Now to the handles. In Eamons legacy of bits and pieces and mess, there were some handles already assembled and glued, I have 4 of these to use and some spares in case they are unusable. The blocks looks really haphazardly flung together and the glue looks like expanding gorilla style glue which im not a fan of. So I rip a couple down closer to size of the cocabolla and check for fit up.
Eamons prep and glue job was a very good lesson here of how not to do it.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_173443_zps43bb574b.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_173443_zps43bb574b.jpg.html)
No surface preparation, the surfaces were left smooth with no key for the glue and likely poor choice of glue.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_173456_zpsc477ee00.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_173456_zpsc477ee00.jpg.html)
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_173602_zpsdb5b1bed.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_173602_zpsdb5b1bed.jpg.html)
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_174047_zps09033216.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_174047_zps09033216.jpg.html)

So thanks for the example Eamon, now to do it properly. Pulled apart, flatted and textured for fresh epoxy.
Would help if the slot is the correct size for the tang also.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_174506_zps5660565b.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_174506_zps5660565b.jpg.html)
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_180744_zps906c1e0b.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_180744_zps906c1e0b.jpg.html)

The other blocks are palish, not sure what the wood is, the grain looks nice, I will do the same with these so as not to take any chances.
http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/20131023_180759_zps970d11a9.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/20131023_180759_zps970d11a9.jpg.html)
So thats one little work session and two well on there way, not to bad in 1 hour and twenty minutes.
Cheers All, sorry for stalling things, I hope this can all get finished off soon, you guys are amazing:)

Don Nguyen
10-23-2013, 09:05 PM
I must apologize for taking so long also. I finally finished my disk sander this week so I can now finish it up. The handle has been done a while ago and was sitting lonely.

cookinstuff
10-24-2013, 01:21 AM
hehe thanks for the wip will and the proper directions, gave me a good laugh..... I'm sure you were laughing as well, in some way.

WillC
10-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks, yep laughter is a good tonic :)

sachem allison
10-24-2013, 04:31 PM
These are looking good, wish things would have worked out better but, this ain't bad. One of these days, maybe......

WillC
10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Nah, its all good, I do feel better for a bit of a dig, I dont think I could have approached them without the slightest hint of irony, having been done with them once all ready. But really its nice to get them started, it is genuinely weird how some little things seem to make themselves seem a bigger task than they really are. :)
Or quite often with me the other way round and I merrily underestimate the amount of time something will take, get started and thing, ah right then, could be here for a while. And I have been doing stuff like this for years..... Its easy to get in a pickle, especially if like Eamon you had not had time to develop the skills to deal with being in a pickle. Tough lesson. But alls well that ends well;)

Mrmnms
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
The eventual owners should take comfort in knowing these were done absolutely right . These must far exceed everyone's expectations. I hope it comes back to you in some way Will.

TB_London
10-24-2013, 08:57 PM
As before happy to help out in any way I can. I know in my life I've over committed and it's a horrible place to be, asking for help is a hard thing to do and it's good that people are going to get their orders. They look like great blades and knowing your knives they are going to be great cutters. It's a shame that the original plans didn't work out, but kudos to everyone who has helped out.

Also it's great to see the quality of work that you are putting out there. Seeing the progress from my santoku to petty to gyuto and suji you should be really proud.

Lefty
10-24-2013, 11:30 PM
I remember the knives you're talking about TB. They were different, but still appealing. Do you still use them?

Will, it's awesome that you rallied the troops on this project. One day I'll own one of your blades. :)

TB_London
10-25-2013, 04:28 AM
I remember the knives you're talking about TB. They were different, but still appealing. Do you still use them?

Yep still use them, the petty is a great knife. I've been using 240's lately a lot more than my 270's so the gyuto hasn't been used for a month or two but is in the rotation. The suji is the best I own and is the only one I use, and the santoku is a pretty fun knife for quick meals.

I have too many for everything to get regular use, but I keep rediscovering old knives and using them for a few weeks in a kind of haphazard cycle.

WillC
10-25-2013, 04:10 PM
Hey TB, If you really would have a little time in the next couple of weeks, if you would take care of the other 2 would be a help, I know you will do a more than good enough job being the skilled enthusiast you are. Thanks Dude, Ill drop you a pm over the weekend;)

As before happy to help out in any way I can. I know in my life I've over committed and it's a horrible place to be, asking for help is a hard thing to do and it's good that people are going to get their orders. They look like great blades and knowing your knives they are going to be great cutters. It's a shame that the original plans didn't work out, but kudos to everyone who has helped out.

Also it's great to see the quality of work that you are putting out there. Seeing the progress from my santoku to petty to gyuto and suji you should be really proud.

edredlee
01-31-2014, 08:22 PM
Good afternoon all! Simply curious to know where these projects stand. Thanks!

mc2442
01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Still waiting on mine, but understand that freebies get behind paying work. Pretty much had written this off, so ever getting it done is a bonus.

Chef Andy
02-01-2014, 12:37 AM
If there are any leftover unspoken for Eamon utility knives still, I would be very happy to buy one.

mr drinky
02-01-2014, 01:43 AM
Good afternoon all! Simply curious to know where these projects stand. Thanks!

I must admit that I thought the same thing the other day. I'd hate to see this stall again. No sense in reliving the same bad emotions ;)

k.

brainsausage
02-01-2014, 02:20 AM
I received mine. Thanks greatly to Will for making, Zweifel for finding, Taz for saya'ing, and JohnnyChance for finishing. Really great knife overall.

Chef Andy
02-01-2014, 08:09 AM
After reading this whole thread, I have to say I've never come across such a great bunch of people on the internet ever before. This place rocks.

sachem allison
02-01-2014, 10:45 PM
I received mine. Thanks greatly to Will for making, Zweifel for finding, Taz for saya'ing, and JohnnyChance for finishing. Really great knife overall.

Hey, don't forget Devin for setting a fire under everyone's butts.

brainsausage
02-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Hey, don't forget Devin for setting a fire under everyone's butts.

I wasn't aware of that fact. THANKS DEVIN!!! And thank you as well Son.

WillC
02-27-2014, 11:57 AM
Who's next then?
One will suit a smaller hand, one a larger hand.....

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3020_zpsfb4bc4e8.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3020_zpsfb4bc4e8.jpg.html)

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3021_zps36a9fe5f.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3021_zps36a9fe5f.jpg.html)

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3022_zpsf383d2c1.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3022_zpsf383d2c1.jpg.html)

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3023_zpscc676418.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3023_zpscc676418.jpg.html)

The geometry on these is so good after the stone finishing they will cut air with out disturbing it :) I should really do a u tube video demonstrating this dressed as a Ninja.

CoqaVin
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
what are those santokus?

WillC
02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Read the thread if you have time, they are not available or anything, a number of makers have joined together to bail out Eamon Burke who flaked out on a load of work, we are making sure it gets finished and to the customers. I made the blades originally, but was never even paid for them.
Members here, <(prodded by Devin) Pulled together an outstanding effort, of convincing Eamon to give over all the work he seemed to have locked in his shed, not just these, all sorts of knives he had for re-handle and Saya stuff. Then pulling together a Kitty and getting the work done. Well I took a while, but hey.
And well done all I say,
Am I the last to finish, Do other helpers have blades still? or are we nearly all done?

Cheers
Will

CoqaVin
02-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Oh wow cool story

Awesome collab GUYS!

WillC
02-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Just to bring this post with the pics forward.

Who's next then?
One will suit a smaller hand, one a larger hand.....

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3020_zpsfb4bc4e8.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3020_zpsfb4bc4e8.jpg.html)

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3021_zps36a9fe5f.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3021_zps36a9fe5f.jpg.html)

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3022_zpsf383d2c1.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3022_zpsf383d2c1.jpg.html)

http://i798.photobucket.com/albums/yy262/catcheside/_MG_3023_zpscc676418.jpg (http://s798.photobucket.com/user/catcheside/media/_MG_3023_zpscc676418.jpg.html)

The geometry on these is so good after the stone finishing they will cut air with out disturbing it :) I should really do a u tube video demonstrating this dressed as a Ninja.

I will PM Zweifel to bring up the list, and list of who has what.

WillC
02-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Ahem

WillC
02-28-2014, 12:32 AM
So on the list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE#gid=0

We have unassigned people five names, Let take the first two Choll and Paco Mcgraw? For these two blades finished.
I will try and PM them, and failing that work down the list.

Pitonboy has been sent a blade out?

And as far as getting work done, we still have Bill Burkes and Don's not yet completed.

WillC
02-28-2014, 12:36 AM
PM's sent to Paco Mcgraw and Choll....

brainsausage
02-28-2014, 01:02 AM
These really are great knives Will. I'm sorry you got effed over these. If the original intent had remained true, these would have been truly excellent production knives.

WillC
02-28-2014, 01:10 AM
All forgotten,

They really are a great knife, Eamon got the design concept spot on. Easy to use and maintain thinning as you go. These are just dying to cut stuff. I have done the handles on these as originally intended, they feel nice.

Thanks for your comment.

Will

toddnmd
02-28-2014, 01:43 AM
I always thought this was really cool how so many good people on here volunteered to help out.

Were all the costs covered? I'd still be happy to chip in to be a part of the good karma. Or, if there is anything out there unclaimed, I'd be interested to contribute for that as well.

Paco.McGraw
02-28-2014, 01:44 AM
I had forgotten about these and I'm sill wanting one.

I'll take the blade with the larger handle.

Thanks Will and everyone involved in getting this going, its greatly appreciated and shows how great of a forum this is.

Sam

WillC
02-28-2014, 05:34 AM
Excellent stuff, very happy your happy. i have PM'd Edredlea for the other one.....

XooMG
02-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Not part of this, but I have to say those two last knives posted looked sweet. Real shame there's no production project for me to join.

mc2442
02-28-2014, 08:07 AM
So on the list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE#gid=0

We have unassigned people five names, Let take the first two Choll and Paco Mcgraw? For these two blades finished.
I will try and PM them, and failing that work down the list.

Pitonboy has been sent a blade out?

And as far as getting work done, we still have Bill Burkes and Don's not yet completed.

I am getting Bill's generosity. I will post pictures when I get it.

WillC
02-28-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks Guys :)

Zwiefel
03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Hey! Just now getting to this thread. Sorry for the delay. Are we all set on these? Do I need to update the spreadsheet?

WillC
03-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Hello Z, Is there by any chance still any Kitty for postage for these finished knives? If not I will have to collect the postage costs from whom they are being sent to.
Cheers
Will

Zwiefel
03-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Hey! I sent a PM with details. Can transfer by PP whenever you are ready.

Hello Z, Is there by any chance still any Kitty for postage for these finished knives? If not I will have to collect the postage costs from whom they are being sent to.
Cheers
Will

Erilyn75
03-13-2014, 07:44 AM
I just finished all 49 pages, I'm speechless. All of you guys are totally awesome!

mc2442
10-09-2014, 12:20 AM
Hi, I just skimmed all 49 pages so I could have just missed it but a lot of the older stuff has been deleted I believe. I just got mine today and I cannot remember what the steel of the knife is. Can anyone help me out?

Took a bit longer than the rest, but it looks great. Bill, thank you for doing this! Will take pictures soon to show it off.

mc2442
10-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Let's see if this works

Nope, need to remember how to post pics vs. links

mc2442
10-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Oh well, does this work?

http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/msconlan/media/IMG_0185.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9
http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/msconlan/media/IMG_0187.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7
http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/msconlan/media/IMG_0188.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6
http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/msconlan/media/IMG_0186.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

Just a few quick picks if they are viewable.

Zwiefel
10-09-2014, 01:58 AM
Nice looking knife you got there!

mc2442
10-09-2014, 03:08 AM
Thank you. The musk ox works very well with the handle and knife. A gift from Bill.

chinacats
10-09-2014, 03:47 AM
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p601/msconlan/IMG_0185.jpg

nice to see it finally got there...was this the last one?

WillC
10-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Wow Bill did a fab job!
I have two blades still, done two already, One is having a custom handle. The other, will have to check the list. Takes me ages but I always get there in the end ;)

Lefty
10-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Wow! Looks great! I wish I had one.