PDA

View Full Version : Eamon Burke knives.

Pages : [1] 2

WillC
05-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I don't know if there is anything I can do to help here. But I have to try as it has been a weight on my mind and I would love to see the blades I made for Eamon get finished. A friend just Pm'd me with the idea to ask for volunteers to help Eamon and get these done. Many of you have done handling projects and some others may help.
In truth I have been quite angry with Eamon, as such have not been able to post much about this for fear of making a bad situation worse. Regardless of whats happened and what is owed, he is in trouble, likely he has been in more trouble than I could know.

So this is what I would propose to get some positive result from this.

We make a list of who is owed a Utility knife from Eamon, as I do not have one. Please add if you have any hobby for handling and finishing knives, and if you would be willing to help in someway to get them finished. If there are other hobby or full time makers who might be willing to play a small part in getting them finished please step forward.
Im not exactly sure where we are going with this yet but as the list unfolds im sure we can work it out. I would suggest we do this by breaking it down into a number of small stages to be done by someone with a certain tool or skill set, and posting the knives on for the next stage.

So for now let me know who you who are owed Knives from Eamon, or if you can help in the finishing of these knives. My idea is that it can all be instructed from this thread and documented as we go.

First step for me, I will send a copy of this to Eamon, via e-mail, facebook etc and see if he will accept our help in this way, if we have some willing Stateside helpers. I'm sure some problems will arise, we can work it out as we go.

Please keep this to the utility knives only, I know there is a whole list of other stuff and possessions, but this would be a jump in the right direction.:)

knyfeknerd
05-22-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm down to help out in any way I can.

WillC
05-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Your a star dude.

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 12:21 PM
I spoke to the same person as you Will, and I have committed for a few sayas. This will have to be stretched over time, as I have plenty of my own obligations, but I am willing to help to clear this burden. If I can swing some handles in, I will too, but as I said, it will depend on a time frame.

Marko

WillC
05-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Great stuff Marko.

Iceman91
05-22-2013, 01:00 PM
I am owed one. Thanks for getting this started, Will.

Mike

Twistington
05-22-2013, 01:50 PM
If my shop situation untangles through some miracle I would be happy to help.

mr drinky
05-22-2013, 02:38 PM
I can't offer any skills, but can someone remind me what state the blades are in? Have they been ground, HT'd, finished etc? I ordered one blade and sent him a block of wood for the handle. If the blade is finished, I could just have mine sent to Dave (w/wood) and use a coupon from him to finish the handle. I'd even send money for the postage if necessary.

With that said, I think this is a great idea to lessen any burden that he may have, but also to unlock the steel that so needs so badly to be cutting things.

k.

DevinT
05-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Please remind me what type of handles these get, and if there is a pic of the blades that would be great.

Hoss

JohnnyChance
05-22-2013, 02:45 PM
I spoke to the same person as you Will, and I have committed for a few sayas. This will have to be stretched over time, as I have plenty of my own obligations, but I am willing to help to clear this burden. If I can swing some handles in, I will too, but as I said, it will depend on a time frame.

Marko

I can help you with the labor on those sayas.

WillC
05-22-2013, 02:48 PM
They were fully ground to about 400 grit and already fairly thin at the edge. I think I had given them a quick rub against the grain with 180 grit to make stone finishing easier. For finishing properly as they were intended, would need a go on a diamond plate to get completely flat and grind marks out, then stone finish. Ideally....

Ill get a list going for who is owed them.

Iceman91
Mr Drinky

WildBoar
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm owed one as well. I have no handle-making skills to offer, but I do have some blocks and scales and a couple Martell coupons.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm also among the skill-less lot....but I could start a google doc to capture all the info and share the URL back to this group so everyone can see what's in progress/where/how/etc....if that would be more help than hinderance.

kalaeb
05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
I can help if you will have me.

TB_London
05-22-2013, 03:20 PM
I'd be happy to help with the finishing and handling, only really makes sense for any non US purchasers though due to shipping.

I was pretty excited about this project, hopefully steps can be taken to get knives to their owners

SpikeC
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
I can help some, finishing metal work or handles, maybe even a saya or two.

ThEoRy
05-22-2013, 03:29 PM
If provided with the handle materials, I could help assemble.

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 03:34 PM
I can help you with the labor on those sayas.

Sure, four hands would make work at least 50% faster.

Yes, Will, get the list, so we can assess the scope of work.

M

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 03:42 PM
All: Started a spreadsheet to capture folks owed products, and those volunteering to help out. If you can think of additional stuff we need to track, let me know, happy to add it to the spreadsheet.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE&usp=sharing

Were all of these knives supposed to come with Sayas? If not, please let me know whether yours was supposed to come with one and I'll note that on the list.

WillC
05-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Thats brilliant, how you do that is beyond me, but its brilliant thanks, saves me a whole load of reading though writing things down.:D

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 03:51 PM
Thats brilliant, how you do that is beyond me, but its brilliant thanks, saves me a whole load of reading though writing things down.:D

Happy I can finally provide some value to the forum for a change!

Will, if you PM me your GMail ID, I can add you as an editor, so you can make changes if I'm not available.

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 03:54 PM
All: Started a spreadsheet to capture folks owed products, and those volunteering to help out. If you can think of additional stuff we need to track, let me know, happy to add it to the spreadsheet.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrU lE&usp=sharing

Were all of these knives supposed to come with Sayas? If not, please let me know whether yours was supposed to come with one and I'll note that on the list.

I would take the column "To Be Completed By" out, as it is irrelevant, and add collums for Saya and whether saya material was sent in.

I can provide poplar for saya material if needed. The replacement sayas will have to be in poplar, as these will be carved, not 3-piece construction, so material has to be workable with relative efficiency as this is pro-bono work.

Those folks who do 3-piece construction, could work on other woods (highly figured maple, etc).

M

WillC
05-22-2013, 03:56 PM
There are 15 blades all together, so 15 handles and saya, (I had forgotten they were included) The handles were going to be a hidden tang type, similar to the Carter way. I believe Eamon had got all the materials and spacer materials in stock.

Names so far, I can think of more...but would like to hear every ones say.

Iceman91
Mr Drinky
Wild Boar
Pensacola Tiger

Helpers

Kalaeb
SpikeC
Theory
Marko
Johnny C
Mrmms

As things go we can split into groups of Blade finishing/honing handle making and Saya. 15 blades is allot of work for any even small task, so we will aim to do batches of 5 if there are enough people to help. I don't know if this is practical or not yet, will have to work it out as we go. All input and suggestion great fully received.

This was Hoss's idea, so if it all goes wrong,,,,,I can blame him:D

We should keep this stateside if possible otherwise postage is going to get silly.

Thanks, you lot are amazing.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 03:56 PM
I would take the column "To Be Completed By" out, as it is irrelevant, and replace it with Saya/No Saya, and whether saya material was provided.

I can provide poplar for saya material if needed. The replacement sayas will have to be in poplar, as these will be carved, not 3-piece construction, so material has to be workable with relative efficiency.

M

I thought it would be useful to avoid missing an item, or to know who to get updates from. no?

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I thought it would be useful to avoid missing an item, or to know who to get updates from. no?

Sorry, misinterpreted, who it was completed by. I thought it was the date Eamon was to complete work by.

I believe besides Wills knives there were others sent in for custom work. I am not sure how we need to account for those, but they should be given same level of importance. Some were custom knives sent for saya work.

M

TB_London
Out of interest how many blades did you ship out Will?

DevinT
Put my son John on the list to help, I can over see what he does. He has made hundreds of handles also.

Who has the blades right now?

Hoss

WillC
05-22-2013, 04:01 PM
All the materials should be with Eamon, I think on materials we should assume that we have them covered unless it proves not to be so, in which case we have some kind offers to help on providing materials front.
But yeah on the list it would be great to see what wood was specified if not standard. Presumably Eamon will have it all.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Sorry, misinterpreted, who it was completed by. I thought it was the date Eamon was to complete work by.

I believe besides Wills knives there were others sent in for custom work. I am not sure how we need to account for those, but they should be given same level of importance. Some were custom knives sent for saya work.

M

I see, I changed it to "Volunteer to complete work," that should help with the ambiguity.
Good point RE other products...I added myself for a different item from Eamon.

Put my son John on the list to help, I can over see what he does. He has made hundreds of handles also.

Who has the blades right now?

Hoss

Done.

BTW, I find it entirely indicative of what is awesome about KKF that we have 2X more volunteers for free labor (10), than we have products (4)...for the moment anyway.

sachem allison
05-22-2013, 04:04 PM
He owes me one of the utility knives and I'll worry about the other stuff later, if he is willing to send the saya and handle wood out there is plenty of the cocobolo and straight grained ironwood available for all the sayas and handles. That will be my donation, I have no tools here.
Thank you gentleman for the help and understanding.

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 04:06 PM
I see, I changed it to "Volunteer to complete work," that should help with the ambiguity.
Good point RE other products...I added myself for a different item from Eamon.

Done.

Looks good. Do you mind posting Google Docs spreadsheet in Off Topic subforum? Devin started a thread there on the same subject. This way, we won't miss anybody who is owed work.

M

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 04:08 PM
He owes me one of the utility knives and I'll worry about the other stuff later, if he is willing to send the saya and handle wood out there is plenty of the cocobolo and straight grained ironwood available for all the sayas and handles. That will be my donation, I have no tools here.

Son, you bet, and since I have your attention here, I will bring your Wilson with me to ECG. You probably missed it terribly. :D

I am going to give another thought once the scope of work is established and JohnyChance is to help, on making sayas in other woods than poplar. One way or another, you guys will be happy with the work, and we all move past this.

M

ThEoRy
05-22-2013, 04:09 PM
Hidden tang? I might be out on handle making for this one. I don't want my first attempts to be at others expense. I could offer finish sharpening or something perhaps?

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 04:10 PM

Son, saya included? You are donating wood for Sayas + Handles from materials you already sent to Eamon?

Iceman91/Mr. Drinky/WildBoar: did you guys all order sayas as well?

Justin0505
05-22-2013, 04:11 PM
You're a stand-up guy Mr. WillC.

IIRC, the metal work is 90%+ done an all that needs to be done is handle work and final finishing correct?

Here's the link:

I can't edit the sheet; looks like view only.

I am also owed a knife.

However, I would be happy to take it without a finished handle. If Eamon already purchased materials (wood, pins, liners) then I would like those; they just don't need to be finished / attached to the knife.
I've done a bit of wood and metal work and I'd like to try my hand at handle making and this seems like a great excuse. I'm an urban apt dweller so I don't have my own shop, but I just found a community pay-per-month place. As this is my first go at this, I don't feel comfortable doing much of the handle work, but I am an accomplished sharpener so I'd be very happy to do the finish sharpening for anyone that would like it.

apicius9
Could somebody post a link to the original post, please? I am not sure what these knives look like. But if my limited skill set of making a few wa handles for this is of help, I'd be happy to do that. Unless those need to be coordinated with sayas, I have plenty of wood here for that.

Stefan

Marko Tsourkan
Hidden tang? I might be out on handle making for this one. I don't want my first attempts to be at others expense. I could offer finish sharpening or something perhaps?

I think that's where John Thomas will step in.

Guys, those of you who owed work and knives, please fill the spreadsheet (link in this thread) so we can establish a scope of work. If a matching sent was ordered, please state in what wood.

M

WillC
05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
15 Blades were sent out, they are with Eamon.

Regarding getting the blades, I have e-mailed and Facebooked Eamon, so hopefully he will come on board, maybe help where he can, or at least facilitate a hand over.

I have put this in my forum, largely so we can have pictures of things coming along. It will be required apart from anything else to get them looking in the same vein.
I cant really take on board everything else that is owed out from Eamon in this thread it will get too messy. I know he has peoples knives and all sorts. This needs to be a separate thread on a general forum. I would suggest that we try and take this little step first to get the ball rolling with Eamon. Hopefully he can accept our help and it will be a weight off his mind, to be able to pass the stuff on.

Iceman91
Mr Drinky
Wild Boar
Pensacola Tiger
Zweifel

Helpers

Kalaeb
SpikeC
Theory
Marko
Johnny C
Mrmms
John

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 04:14 PM
I can't edit the sheet; looks like view only.

I am also owed a knife.

Justin/Anybody,

If you want to edit the sheet, send me your gmail address and I'll add you with edit permissions...would prefer to not open it up to the general public though.

mr drinky
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Son, saya included? You are donating wood for Sayas + Handles from materials you already sent to Eamon?

I can't remember if I ordered a saya, but I will take mine without one. Just knife for me.

k.

Choll
05-22-2013, 04:18 PM
I am owed one utility knife. I sent him a very nice piece of Mark's stabilized koa for the handle. Unfortunately I have no skills to offer, but those who offer their services are truly stand up guys. I will certainly pay for shipping costs and/or services if needed. Thanks guys.

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 04:19 PM
OK, so we need another spreadsheet in the Off Topic sub forum, for orders other than Will's knives.

M

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
I posted a link for the same spreadsheet in the other thread...is there a reason we can't share the same spreadsheet since it's not actually stored/displayed on KKF?

If so, that's fine, it's trivial to make a copy...

Lefty
05-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Man, I have trouble keeping on top of my own stuff...funny, though, I just offered to get a handle taken care of for another member, for this same project maybe two weeks ago. If it comes down to it, I can do a handle and some grinding/finishing on one knife.

EdipisReks
05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
i can grind and finish a knife or two.

Pensacola Tiger
05-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Eamon's original thread had this description of the utility:

Some changes are that the spacer will be ivory paper micarta instead of maple(doesn't stain as easy), and the handle will be regular walnut. If you want Burl/exotic/stabilized wood for the handle or a crazy sheath, or a matching pair, just let me know.
Including a matching sheath, these are going to be $300 + S&H.
BUT
We need to crowdfund these first ones(materials, int'l shipping, etc). So if you Pre-Order one now, I will send you an invoice for the full price immediately, including a $50 discount. Not only that, but since I will be doing a small batch(10) and I'll know whose they are for already, I'll do whatever kind of wood you want for the handle scales/sheath for the cost of materials(if you have wood you want me to use, just mail it to me and I'll use it for no extra charge).
So you'll be getting a unique stainless, American Hardwood/Micarta handle, Matching Sheath w/ Boxwood pin, and a stone finish for $250 + S&H.

So, all of them were to have come with a saya.

Since Eamon is no longer an active vendor, his sub forum has been restricted. It would be nice if a mod could move any threads on this project over to Will's sub forum for reference purposes.

For those who need to see how the handle was constructed, here are some pics from that thread:

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zps8f333cfa.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zps8f333cfa.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zpsfd015ff9.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zpsfd015ff9.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zpsb3ebc73b.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zpsb3ebc73b.jpg.html)

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zpsb0fc9c57.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Catcheside%20-%20Burke%2019%20cm%20utility/file_zpsb0fc9c57.jpg.html)

WillC
05-22-2013, 04:33 PM
It can share the same spread sheet, so long as we can see what is what. :)

Iceman91
05-22-2013, 04:33 PM
I am pretty sure that all of the utilities were to include sayas.

WillC
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Brilliant Guys thanks, well done on finding the old thread.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 04:40 PM
I've got to run out to the farm and feed/care for the horses, so I'll be gone a few hours. will catch the spreadsheet(s) up when I get back.

WillC
05-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Your a megastar.

kalaeb
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM
can anyone even get a response out of him to ship the knives? seems like some have flat asked the knives to be super sans handle and have still gotten nowhere

WillC
05-22-2013, 04:52 PM
I would give it a bit of time, the threads have only just gone up.

SpikeC
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Those handles will be a snap to make.

WillC
05-22-2013, 05:29 PM
To summarize
List

Iceman91
Mr Drinky
Wild Boar
Pensacola Tiger
Zweifel
Sachem Allison
Choll
Justin

Helpers

Knyfeknerd - honing?
Kalaeb - Handling
SpikeC - Handling or finish
Theory - Finish or honing
Marko - Saya
Johnny C - Saya
Mrmms - Finish
John Thomas - Handles/Finish
Justin - Honing
Edipisreks - Finish

Many hands make light work. we don't want anyone doing 15 of anything. 5 at the most, so we can work out how to spread the work and balance it against postal costs as we go.
Thanks to all those who have offered materials and postage costs. If all the materials are not accounted for we will have an appeal as required. The materials Eamon has would be best as they are the right widths.
As for postage costs, we may need to have a postage kitty or something to make all this possible to pass on little batches of knives for different processes.
Cheers
Will

sachem allison
05-22-2013, 05:31 PM

all of the Will utility knives were supposed to have sayas and handles. I traded Eamon enough wood to make 30 or more sayas out of cocobolo in exchange for him making sayas for my personal knives. Whatever he didn't use for my stuff he could keep and make high end sayas to sell for himself. I also sent him ironwood blanks for handles,not many. Yes, I am donating that material if he sends the blades he is going to have to send all the other stuff that goes with it.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm likely to be going through Dallas soonish (next week or two), so I could pick up the materials and handle getting them shipped out.

was on my list to visit Eamon anyway.

JohnnyChance
05-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah the handles are hidden tang w a liner like Carter.

I believe the old threads from ex vendors are deleted and not archived. So the rest of the thread may not be available.

WillC
05-22-2013, 05:35 PM
Your very kind Son, hopefully it wont be required as all the materials for these should be with Eamon, but we will see...... I hope you will be able to get your extra materials back.
Speaking of collection. Do we have anyone is Eamon's area who can call around and collect blades, materials etc?

WillC
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
With the pictures and details, we have enough to go off. I know the specs and construction pretty well to advise from there.
The handles should be a nice straight forward construction. All my tangs are the same size. Just under 3mm, with a very slight taper. So in theory all handles can be made the same, with a 3mm spacer with the slot cut....sides epoxied on.... Handle shaped, polished, Will probably need burning in a bit to shift any beads of epoxy, then fixed on the knives. We will tackle it as we go. I can make drawings with dimensions to work to so we are all on the same page.

sachem allison
05-22-2013, 05:41 PM
My buddy Heath has Volunteered to go pick them up. I'll put him onto this thread tonight.

sachem allison
05-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm likely to be going through Dallas soonish (next week or two), so I could pick up the materials and handle getting them shipped out.

was on my list to visit Eamon anyway.

He posted that he is moving again.didn't he? maybe facebook

kalaeb
05-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I have enough saya material for three sayas that I can put in, if there is not enough to go around. plus I have a few extra sets of scales.

WillC
05-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Brilliant stuff, well lets give Eamon some time to digest and respond.

sachem allison
05-22-2013, 06:04 PM
He posted that he is moving again.didn't he? maybe facebook

He is moving back to Rockport, TX.
I just sent him this note.

Hello, Eamon

6:00pm
Congratulations on the beautiful baby and the pending move home. We all know that times have been tough for you and that you have been under alot of pressure for quite awhile now. I know its frustrating and a little bit overwhelming being pulled in so many different directions and having so many responsibilities. With that said, Many of the makers and hobbyists have gotten together and offered to help you out by taking some of the load off of you. They are willing to donate their time and expertise to help complete your knife related projects so that you can focus on your family and other responsibilities. You are a member of our family and we would like to help you out and make things easier for you. Please to do not be offended, by this offer it is given freely . Many of us including myself are frustrated that we can't offer any assistance because, we haven't heard from you. We don't know if you are alright or not. Some of the members just want to know whats up with their knives but, all of them are more concerned about you my friend and how we can help you. Please get a hold of Devin or myself and let us ease your burden a bit. Take them up on their offer, Eamon.
Your friend, Son

WillC
05-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Well done Son. I have sent him a couple too.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
My buddy Heath has Volunteered to go pick them up. I'll put him onto this thread tonight.

He is moving back to Rockport, TX.

If Heath can give a firm date he can be available to pick it up, we should go with that....my schedule is not my own.

Also, looks like Rockport is on the gulf....doubt I'll be near there anytime soon.

Salty dog
05-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Is this a PM that was accidently published in the forums?

Don Nguyen
05-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I can do handles, grinding, finishing, or maybe saya. Let me know if there is any position that needs to be filled.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Added you to the list Don, thanks!

markk
05-22-2013, 08:03 PM
i am owed a knife. already paid in full and have sent email twice to the account he recently posted and I gave my address to send the blade only per his instruction. I habe not received any response.

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 08:18 PM
markk, added you to the list.

Marko Tsourkan
05-22-2013, 08:20 PM
I have enough select grade poplar for 100 sayas if we are short on for wood for sayas.

mc2442
05-22-2013, 10:39 PM
I purchased a knife as well. Unfortunately no knife making skills, but thank you all for getting this moving!

Zwiefel
05-22-2013, 10:46 PM
mc2442, got you added to the list. This makes 9, of what seems to be 10 (from the original post)?

Bill Burke
05-22-2013, 11:54 PM
I will help out some. What I would like to do is get one blade which I will finish, grind, sharpen, handle and make matching saya.

daveb
05-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Z,

I'm another with little mechanical aptitude but willing to help with the admin function in getting some resolution.

Seems like the next step in any get well effort has to be transferring the assets - knife blanks, materials, etc - from Eamon to someone who can coordinate finishing them.

Regards,

Dave

Chef Niloc
05-23-2013, 12:12 AM
If anyone is willing/ wanting to go with a sheath/leather saya I'd be glad to do it. This might help take some of the work load off of Marko?

Iceman91
05-23-2013, 12:26 AM
If anyone is willing/ wanting to go with a sheath/leather saya I'd be glad to do it. This might help take some of the work load off of Marko?

FWIW I would prefer leather. Not sure if this helps or hinders things.

WillC
05-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Great to have you on board chaps, thanks. The leather saya look great.

The original list was for 10, but it was extended to 15, and as far as I know all were spoken for and presumably paid for.
So there will be some more to come out of the woodwork, as well as Eamons other projects, which we will deal with in Hoss's thread in general chat.
Obviously if any of you on the List scan though and see someone you know missing, let them know.

Dave, yes we are waiting on communication from Eamon. All he has to do is facilitate a hand over. Once that is done there will be considerable logistics involved in getting things posted on to where they need to be, which will take a bit of advice and input from you organized lot to do it most efficiently. But first step is communication and getting the complete list together.

JBroida
05-23-2013, 01:39 AM
hey... just wanted to say this is a great idea and yet another testament to the caliber of members we have here... i only wish i had more free time so i could help out too

WillC
05-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Thanks Jon, no worries, Hoss spurred me into life on this, the situation has been bothering me for a while. Only among our members could something like this even be considered as a resolution I think. Amazing response. :)

mhlee
05-23-2013, 02:31 AM
Guys -

I saw that several people offered to donate wood. For those people who are donating time and skill, I would be happy to donate some wood for handles so you don't have to donate your own supplies. I have blocks of stabilized redwood that I would be happy to donate.

TB_London
05-23-2013, 03:21 AM
Web archive bounces me to a login page when I try to get to the thread, off to work now maybe someone else will have more luck, maybe try earlier captures

http://web.archive.org/web/20130116050209/http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/80-Burke-Cutlery-Services

Paco.McGraw
05-23-2013, 09:38 AM
I also got one of the knives from Eamon, paid in full.

I have no skills that would benefit this but I can buy whatever wood or other supplies that may be needed. Just send me a message.

I just want to that the people that have gotten this off the ground. I had pretty much written off this one since there has been no contact with Eamon.

Sam

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM
I think I have the spreadsheet caught up on this thread.

mr drinky
05-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Just FYI, I would definitely take a leather saya/sheath over a wooden one, but either is fine really. And the wood block I sent was Koa from Burl Source.

k.

Dave Martell
05-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Let's keep in mind KKF's Terms of Use (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8110-Vendor-and-Membership-Terms-of-Use?p=137749&viewfull=1#post137749) here folks.

We do not allow the showing of, talking about, or offering of wares/services from non-hobbyists/vendors. Those authorized are to keep discussions of their products/services withon their appropriate sub-forums.

Thanks for your co-operation!

DevinT
05-23-2013, 01:36 PM
I do want to caution the customers that we will be keeping this as simple as possible. We need to avoid upgrades and customizing on this project and stick to the original plan out of respect for the makers and their time.

We ask for a tiny bit of latitude from the forum while we figure all this out. That being said, we do want to follow the polices in place.

Love and respect

Hoss

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Gentlepesons,

I was chatting with Tim Johnson (formerly known as Taz575) about this effort. He'd like to help and has offered to do all the sayas as a batch. He's got basswood on hand, enough to make them all, or we could ship materials to him. I wanted to present this to you all and see if you think it's as good an idea as I do. Tim does good work and would ensure they are all comparable to one another. He also has access to the paper micarta that was spec'd for the handles.

Thoughts?

Pensacola Tiger
05-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Gentlepesons,

I was chatting with Tim Johnson (formerly known as Taz575) about this effort. He'd like to help and has offered to do all the sayas as a batch. He's got basswood on hand, enough to make them all, or we could ship materials to him. I wanted to present this to you all and see if you think it's as good an idea as I do. Tim does good work and would ensure they are all comparable to one another. He also has access to the paper micarta that was spec'd for the handles.

Thoughts?

Tim did a handle for me on a Tojiro Western deba, and I am very pleased with the result. I've seen pictures of his sayas, and they appear to be very similar to those Eamon made. My vote is for Tim to handle sayas for any who opt for it.

Eamon's original thread said that he had all the saya materials, so maybe we'll be able to get the blades and the handle/saya materials from him.

Rick

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 02:38 PM
I know iceman91 wanted leather...does anyone object to Taz doing the rest?

Mrmnms
05-23-2013, 02:42 PM
I was going to bring him some to rehandle if neccessary, at my expense. Tim's awesome and will definitely do the right thing. I think it's a great idea Rick and Zwiefel. He's done sayas, rehandles and a rehab or 2 for me . He doesn't waist time and his work is great. If we can't get the materials back from Eamon, I'd kick in some $$ on behalf of the forum guys who are out knives for Tim's work on saya's and handles. I own a Catchside petty, but I have nothing in on this other than a desire to help. Tim is a great option.

Chef Niloc
05-23-2013, 02:47 PM
I know iceman91 wanted leather...does anyone object to Taz doing the rest?

Just FYI, I would definitely take a leather saya/sheath over a wooden one, but either is fine really. And the wood block I sent was Koa from Burl Source.

k.

Mr drinky I think does?

Let's keep in mind KKF's Terms of Use (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8110-Vendor-and-Membership-Terms-of-Use?p=137749&viewfull=1#post137749) here folks.

We do not allow the showing of, talking about, or offering of wares/services from non-hobbyists/vendors. Those authorized are to keep discussions of their products/services withon their appropriate sub-forums.

Thanks for your co-operation!

Sorry Dave I thought that it would be ok as I'm not selling anything but offering for free. None the less sorry for "braking the law....braking the law....." Judas Priest Rocks!!!

Iceman91
05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
I prefer leather but if they are all going to Tim anyways I'm perfectly happy with a wood saya. I'm not picky at all on this I just want to see my knife! Haha

Mike

WillC
05-23-2013, 03:08 PM
That is amazing if Tim will do that, I don't know him but I trust your judgement. I have no wish to break the forum rules. I'm much appreciative of them for the larger part.
It could get fairly complicated to see these take shape with out posting pictures, and not all helpers will be paid up Vendors or Hobby sales.

With Dave's permission I would suggest a system where people working on different projects share pictures to a folder of my photobucket. I can see who has done what and what stage everything is at. I can then post some of the pictures in the thread, with no names mentioned for who has done the work. It is just under general subcontract of me. So only I post pictures in the thread in the case of the few things we may need to see from non-vendors. I hope that would be acceptable, been a long day. Top work chaps. Here's hoping we don't get left hanging for too long.

Would it be possible for someone with the right access have a look for the List with 15 names and copy and paste it to this thread? I believe it would be in the Pre-buy thread on the Burke Cutlery archives.

Eamon Burke
05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
I just saw this, haven't read any of it yet though. I've been in a rural town framing a house for a while, and thus have had no internet, and barely any phone service.

I am almost crosseyed with confusion as to why you are all being so helpful--of every overdue responsibility I have, nobody else has offered to help fix it.

I wanted to say that one thing I'll be doing is having a huge sale of the stuff I am not using anymore, and use the money to make some headway/amends on this long overdue order. Ok, I'll go read 10 pages now.

Dave Martell
05-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Would it be possible for someone with the right access have a look for the List with 15 names and copy and paste it to this thread? I believe it would be in the Pre-buy thread on the Burke Cutlery archives.

That's gone forever. :(

Dave Martell
05-23-2013, 04:08 PM
I just saw this, haven't read any of it yet though. I've been in a rural town framing a house for a while, and thus have had no internet, and barely any phone service.

I am almost crosseyed with confusion as to why you are all being so helpful--of every overdue responsibility I have, nobody else has offered to help fix it.

I wanted to say that one thing I'll be doing is having a huge sale of the stuff I am not using anymore, and use the money to make some headway/amends on this long overdue order. Ok, I'll go read 10 pages now.

Eamon, you're going to also want to read this (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12378-Waiting-is-the-hardest-part?p=209407&viewfull=1#post209407) and this (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12390-Possible-resolution-for-Eamon?p=209507#post209507) too.

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 04:11 PM
does anyone know an approximate date that Eamon's subforum was deleted? I might be able to find copies on archive.org.

statusquo
05-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Eamon, you're going to also want to read this (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12378-Waiting-is-the-hardest-part?p=209407&viewfull=1#post209407) and this (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12390-Possible-resolution-for-Eamon?p=209507#post209507) too.

Check your emails too please

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
well, d@mn...this is as close as I could get :(

http://web.archive.org/web/20121102134147/http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/7823-Catcheside-amp-Burke-190mm-Utility

I do find it amusing that I, in fact, did buy that Nakiri from Rick later in the year...

Eamon Burke
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
Well, I went out into my workshop and realized that in a just a few weeks, I have managed to forget the code to the padlock on it entirely. I don't know how many of you have ever had a business that went under, but there is apparently a period of denial where you are absolutely deluded that you will be able to do things, or take care of one thing or another without realizing how over it is. This thread made me realize that.

OK here's what I'm going to do. I still have everyone's addresses and whatnot. I do not have any money to ship anything.

In order to make this right, I am going to offer this: If I have something of yours, or something owed, you will get it back, and as a consolation for my shortcomings, you can have whatever is in this thread for the cost of shipping. I do mean it. Some of this stuff is a rare find(wood blocks, etc), some is just helpful for completing or starting a little project. If you are having a person work on your knife/whatever, and want it shipped to them feel free to include whatever else. If you insist on paying for anything, I will redistribute that money to those who didn't get anything, and if any money is left over, it will go to Will.
Here we go--

Eamon Burke
05-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Send any requests to johndoughy @ gmail dot com. It's my personal email, because I not a vendor here anymore, just a civilian. I don't want to have to mess with my PMs getting full.

Don't be shy, anything that doesn't get taken will go for sale and the money will do the same thing I said before.

rdmalak
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
I have done a rehandle of my own and done a great many straight razor restores with full sets of scales etc. so I know my way around woodworking. I'm in to help if needed.

WillC
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
As far as i'm concerned ive dropped your debt Eamon, we all make mistakes, I have made plenty and been lucky and had help along the way.

Its great to hear from you. I'm pretty exhausted to think straight just at the minute. But don't run with this, I'm not sure where it would stand with forum rules, also we have a simpler solution logistically.
We have a couple of volunteers to pick stuff up. The extra wood and belts will come in handy i'm sure later and may help to cover some shipping by passing them on to people helping. Heath may well take some belts and wood in return for posting some bits on to get us started getting the work finished. For now just make a list of the extra stuff if you would and pm it to Zweifel, our list chief, it can come into the plan later.
Do We have the utility knives and handle materials? That is the crux of this thread. Also if you can help complete the list of 15 for the knives that would be very helpful.
Zweilfel has been working on a spread sheet to work out whats what, and come the time who we have to work on what. So if you can help him fill in any blanks..
For the part of this thread, I'm going to cover the utility knives and I feel I can take some responsibility for that, and I know what was intended with them. I know there is allot of other stuff to deal with, which would include what to do with the extra belts and stuff, that cant happen in my sub-forum. Hoss has a thread in general chat to cover Saya jobs, handlings and stuff like that. And we can make use of Z and his amazing ability to make these live access spreadsheets to keep track.
Cheers, hope thats clear, off to bed now.:doublethumbsup:

Eamon Burke
05-23-2013, 07:22 PM
I do have the knives of course, and the materials people sent to me.

I think this is the best thing to do here. I am simply not going to be able to use this stuff anymore, and it would be better for me if I could leave people having actually got something nice, regardless of how forgiving/generous they are feeling. The offer stands for any of this stuff. It just so happens that everyone who bought a knife is someone I think is exceptional as a person, so I would be happy to see them have any and all of it.

Mucho Bocho
05-23-2013, 07:33 PM
WILL you have a heart of GOLD. Strong Karma.

Eamon, Our members still believe in you.

The KNuts that have an investment in this project will smile years from now when holding the Will Catch/ Burke.

Remember " This too will soon Pass"

WillC
05-23-2013, 07:40 PM
I do follow.
My concerns are turning the thread into a closing down sale, this thread is not the place for that. And i'm pretty sure it would be in breach of some forum rules.
I think selling the extra wood and belts and stuff is a great idea, put it in the for sale section. The money can go into the postage kitty for later on as stuff is being posted from person to person to complete.
As it stands we have someone willing to pick up a load of stuff and probably another as well. As we are not sure exactly who we are posting it too yet to begin work that would be the best solution, especially as your in the middle of moving etc.

Dave Martell
05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
....My concerns are turning the thread into a closing down sale, this thread is not the place for that. And i'm pretty sure it would be in breach of some forum rules.

I agree.

Eamon, all of your posts with pictures of your supplies and what not that you posted here have been deleted. This thread is not the place for that.

Justin0505
05-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Hey Eamon, I'm glad to see you back on the forums. I'm sending you another email, please respond.

mhenry
05-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Are these hidden tangs? If they are I would be happy to take on as many as three-four for wa's. If these are western and you might want a wa I would be happy to do conversions as well. I can supply the materials too (as long as we keep it pretty simple)

Eamon Burke
05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Ok this is tedious. The stuff was not for sale, it was free. That is not a breach of anyone's rules, for me to give stuff to someone for free as a personal gesture.

Did I read correctly that someone would be willing to take care of shipping this stuff off? The truth is I don't have time to fiddle around with this forum anymore. I just invested an afternoon taking inventory and pictures and posting it, as a consolation gesture, and it got deleted because somehow that offends the rules. My lack of time is the reason this order didn't get done, and I just wasted more of it. I can not, and will not, make the same mistake twice.

Again, the stuff was, and remains, free for anyone who owns something that is in my possession.

DevinT
05-23-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks Eamon, we will get someone to take care of the knives and materials that need shipping. I know this process is frustrating for all involved, we are appreciative of your help.

Hoss

DevinT
05-23-2013, 10:07 PM
We need volunteers to help with the shipping. Do we have any members close that are willing to help with this?

Hoss

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Eamon, if you're still in the DFW area, I can make a trip to pick stuff up.

I think there was someone named Heath that was willing to pick stuff up as well.

DevinT
05-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Heath is four hours away, he is willing, if we can find someone closer that would be better.

Hoss

Mike9
05-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Ok this is tedious. The stuff was not for sale, it was free. That is not a breach of anyone's rules, for me to give stuff to someone for free as a personal gesture.

Did I read correctly that someone would be willing to take care of shipping this stuff off? The truth is I don't have time to fiddle around with this forum anymore. I just invested an afternoon taking inventory and pictures and posting it, as a consolation gesture, and it got deleted because somehow that offends the rules. My lack of time is the reason this order didn't get done, and I just wasted more of it. I can not, and will not, make the same mistake twice.

Again, the stuff was, and remains, free for anyone who owns something that is in my possession.

I'm sorry for your personal plight Eamon, but you seem awfully detached from this problem that you created. You have been given a gift and offered a helping hand and that is the best reply you could come up with? It's like you're not trying to help yourself and you're not trying to help other people help you. And some of them are people you owe. If it were me I'd be show a little humility :dontknow:

Dave Martell
05-23-2013, 10:36 PM

Eamon, you posted this giveaway stuff in a vendor's sub forum, that's why it was deleted. This thread is about getting your customers their owed merchandise, funds, property - not for you to give away stuff as a "consolation".

If you want to giveaway stuff we have a Giveaway subforum (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/60-Giveaways-Pay-It-Forward-Win-a-Knife) just for that very thing.

Eamon Burke
05-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Dave, it was not an open giveaway. I do not have money to return to people. I'm beyond broke. I was offering what I have in lieu of money that I do not have, that way people who lost money on it can still get something they want for the portion of what they paid that was going to me, which was supposed to be about $40 per knife, and they ended up costing me $30. It was not a giveaway to be nice, it was intended to make a fair deal for the people who lost money or time because of my personal life.

I'm not detached from this, this thing keeps me awake about 3 out of 5 nights a week. I really just want it to be over, but am extremely limited on means to get much of anything done about anything. Believe it or not, I have been trying to get together the money to fix the tools I used to make these things, and then have ANY time set aside to do the work. That has taken me 5 months and I've gotten very little progress--despite the fact that it has been priority #1 in my life after paying survival expenses for my family. I was just trying to offer what I have to give.

Dave Martell
05-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Eamon, I hear you and I sympathize deeply with your situation but I'm not throwing out the rules for this regardless. I see how you're trying to give what you can but here is not the place for it, sorry.

Besides, how many guys who want sayas made by another person could use the shop tools that are used make sayas with?

Zwiefel
05-23-2013, 11:12 PM
Heath is four hours away, he is willing, if we can find someone closer that would be better.

Hoss

I'm a little farther away....but I have the RV in front of the house and the spousal unit is itching for a weekend trip to visit friends in Dallas...and it's a holiday weekend. I'm happy to go pick this stuff up.

Eamon, if you're still in Hurst and will have some time to meet me this weekend, let me know and I'll come pick this stuff up.

DevinT
05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Eamon, thanks for allowing us to help. The fact that so many are willing to help is a sign of how much the forum cares. When everyone helps a little, we can get this done and over with. We hope that this will relieve some of the pressure on you and at the same time, help the members get their knives and sayas. This is one of those overwhelming things that are hard to find a perfect solution to.

Love and respect

Hoss

DevinT
05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm a little farther away....but I have the RV in front of the house and the spousal unit is itching for a weekend trip to visit friends in Dallas...and it's a holiday weekend. I'm happy to go pick this stuff up.

Eamon, if you're still in Hurst and will have some time to meet me this weekend, let me know and I'll come pick this stuff up.

Great!

Hoss

mhenry
05-23-2013, 11:27 PM

If this doesn't work out I can do it maybe one day next week. I got a kid with Strep and the Spousel unit is working this weekend. I will need a few days to get my stuff together

JohnnyChance
05-23-2013, 11:41 PM
I believe Brainsausage is the mystery man #10 that we are missing.

mc2442
05-24-2013, 12:18 AM
I can contribute to the shipping once we decide who is bearing the expense or controlling the kitty.

stopbarking
05-24-2013, 12:41 AM
I'm about a 6 hour round trip from Hurst. I could do it on Saturday.

maxim
05-24-2013, 12:42 AM
I just want to say WOW :nicethread:
Davin and Will and all others rock, I know how much time they dont have, but still help all members that lost the money or knives from this!

Let me know if i should donate something i have plenty of standard Wa Handles !

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm in the process of making arrangements to meet Eamon one day this weekend. If I can't get it all in my truck/RV, I'll ask for backup. (assuming you all wouldn't rather have someone else pick it up in the first place.)

sachem allison
05-24-2013, 02:09 AM
you say the word and Heath will jump in, I just talked to him and he is game.

brainsausage
05-24-2013, 02:45 AM
I've been pretty out of touch with the forum lately, and I sincerely apologize for that.

I have been in touch with Johhnychance outside of the forums a little more regularly, as of the last few months, and he brought this to my attention this evening, knowing that I'd paid in to the initial project(which was intended to be startup for a line of knives- sound familiar?) I'd like to say thank you for everyone who has offers their time, skills, and resources. It's greatly appreciated by myself as well as others on this forum. That being said...

At this point- I'd just be happy to get the knife that Will signed off on, and send it to Mike Henry(at my own expense) to modify for a wa handle. The finished edge is of less of a concern to me. I'd prefer if it was mailed direct from Eamon(due to my initial investment), but if it comes down to an individual taking on the responsibility of taking charge of said knives, please PM me and I will be glad to send you shipping costs, as well as a promise- that if you ever make it to Maine, you will not leave unstuffed with the meaty goodnesses.

Once again- I apologize for being absent lately. This a great forum populated by genuine individuals, as witnessed by the above thread.

Cheers,

- Josh

WillC
05-24-2013, 03:34 AM
A quick word before I'm off to work.
Eamon i did not mean to poo poo your efforts there to find a way to get everything posted. I understand you are trying to find a way to make it happen. But I could see it getting complicated.
I think we should take the simplest solution to the problem and it would be the biggest relief to everyone.
Zweifel has volunteered to pick the whole lot up in his Rv, is that this weekend? I realize with postage and everything else that comes later that is a huge responsibility which makes me hesitant to let one person take that burden, however it is the most direct solution. I would suggest from there we ship it in a few large parcels to a few people who will be doing works, this will also spread the shipping responsibilities.

Eamon you can help us hugely by facilitating the hand over and donating the extra belts and wood blocks and things to be sold for the postage Kitty. Also help us get the full list of names together. There are 15 blades and should be 15 names?

We need someone willing to be bank for the sale of extra things later to help cover posting things on, with a paypal account. I realize that will only go so far, we may have to have a whip around to cover postage etc later. So no one person is down more than anyone else.

I hope what i'm suggesting seems practical, if not please chime in.

Thanks all for your massive help in sharing the burden and Dave for Moderating. Its all hugely appreciated.

Off to work now.

TB_London
05-24-2013, 05:07 AM
Happy to chip in to the shipping kitty

Justin0505
05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Happy to chip in to the shipping kitty

Another option could be for folks (like brainsausage and me) who just want their knives and whatever raw handle materials there are (wood, pins, liners) would be to send pre-paid shipping labels directly to whoever it is who picks the knives up from Eamon. That way all they'd have to do is print it out and slap it on a box.

77kath
05-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Count me in for some shipping.

Marko Tsourkan
05-24-2013, 08:29 AM

I will take CClin knife. I have several Chalie's knife on hand, so will get them in one batch.

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Zweifel has volunteered to pick the whole lot up in his Rv, is that this weekend? I realize with postage and everything else that comes later that is a huge responsibility which makes me hesitant to let one person take that burden, however it is the most direct solution. I would suggest from there we ship it in a few large parcels to a few people who will be doing works, this will also spread the shipping responsibilities.

I made arrangements with Eamon last night to pick everything up this weekend. I'll do my best to get as much info as possible from Eamon as to what belongs to whom, and catalogue the whole lot. once done with that, we should have the info we need to figure out how to distribute the lot against the current list of volunteers and assesss what shipping will cost.

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 09:55 AM
you say the word and Heath will jump in, I just talked to him and he is game.

Son/all, I'm very happy to do it...I just didn't want to assume you all would be happy with me doing it.

DevinT
05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Z, thanks for doing this. I'm happy and relieved that you are doing this. sw2geeks is in that area and might be able to help. I contacted him, he is still trying to figure out what is going on. Eamon does have a knife of his also.

Hoss

Dave Martell
05-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I'd like to give a thumbs up to all of you helping and contributing here. We have some great members on this forum. :doublethumbsup:

Don Nguyen
05-24-2013, 10:42 AM
I'd like to give a thumbs up to all of you helping and contributing here. We have some great members on this forum. :doublethumbsup:

Seriously, there's not much else to add besides this. Great community here :)

brainsausage
05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Another option could be for folks (like brainsausage and me) who just want their knives and whatever raw handle materials there are (wood, pins, liners) would be to send pre-paid shipping labels directly to whoever it is who picks the knives up from Eamon. That way all they'd have to do is print it out and slap it on a box.

This sounds like a good idea to me Justin. And thank you greatly Zweifel for taking on this responsibility. Thanks again to all the craftsmen who have offered time/resources.

WillC
05-24-2013, 11:54 AM
If thats what you want to do guys, it will lighten the load. Remember there are materials available for the handle, saya etc which could be included in the package also if required.

brainsausage
05-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I just want to make this as easy as possible for Zweifel, and categorizing/determining who gets access to what woods sounds like enough of a pain...

And I've been aching for a custom Henry handle for awhile now:spiteful:

I'll gladly cut my losses and give Mike some business.

toddnmd
05-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Just want to chip in that I'm quite impressed by the community, and all the shared contributions in making a bad situation right, or at least close to right. I'm not involved, but the way everyone is contributing is really cool. There is something special going on here.

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 04:30 PM
All, I've confirmed plans with Eamon to pick this stuff up on Saturday evening. I'll do my best to catalogue who owns which bit as I receive it, and will take photos + make a list once I get home after the holiday.

will try to take some pics to share the little adventure for those that are interested.

cclin
05-24-2013, 04:35 PM

I will take CClin knife. I have several Chalie's knife on hand, so will get them in one batch.

Thanks Marko and all the members here who have contributing their time & resources. we have Great community here :doublethumbsup:
I agree with Justin, I want to make this as easy as possible, I'll contect with Eamon & Marko and glad to pay for the shipping/materials cost.
I want to thank everyone again for make this is possible!!

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 04:39 PM
cclin/justin0505, I think Eamon wants to have all of this off of his hands in one fell swoop. My suggestion would be that we keep things as simple as possible for him. Beyond that, I'm happy to do whatever you like...if you'd like someone else to meet me in Dallas to pickup your stuff this weekend, I'm happy to try to arrange that.

WillC
05-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Zweiefel, thank you so much for taking this on. First stage then to pick it all up, as possible.

Do we have a volunteer with a paypal account who could act as bank for postage donations and money from the sale of the belts and stuff. Is that the best solution for that? or shall we just paypal Zweifel direct for shipping costs?

I'm working all weekend, as I have missed to many days here and there but i'll be keeping an eye on the Thread. Thanks Guys.
Will

mhlee
05-24-2013, 05:32 PM
Do we have a volunteer with a paypal account who could act as bank for postage donations and money from the sale of the belts and stuff. Is that the best solution for that? or shall we just paypal Zweifel direct for shipping costs?

I'm no PayPal expert, but I would imagine that it's probably best to just paypal Zweifel for the shipping costs so there are no additional transaction fees that could potentially be assessed for any transfers of funds.

WillC
05-24-2013, 05:40 PM
I was thinking we could do gifted payments in this instance and I think that would be valid and fair as they are donations, so there would be no fees. But we could just do payments direct to who needs it at the time.

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I'm no PayPal expert, but I would imagine that it's probably best to just paypal Zweifel for the shipping costs so there are no additional transaction fees that could potentially be assessed for any transfers of funds.

I hadn't thought of that...darn good point.
The alternative would be for someone else to handle generating the postage labels and sending those to me. that would avoid a 2nd PayPal transaction as well.

Whatever you gentlepersons prefer.

WillC
05-24-2013, 05:49 PM
You can make personal payments on paypal and mark it as a payment owed or a gifted payment. Then there are no fees. This would be a valid and acceptable application to use the gift function I feel.

Marko Tsourkan
05-24-2013, 05:49 PM
paypal personal transfers are not subject to paypal fees

Pensacola Tiger
05-24-2013, 06:03 PM
paypal personal transfers are not subject to paypal fees

Only if the person initiating the transfer has a PayPal balance or has linked to a bank account and is using this account as the source of funds. Otherwise the standard 3% + $.30 fee applies, and the sender pays.

Zwiefel
05-24-2013, 06:16 PM
That makes sense...otherwise, you are using a CC and PP has to pay fees for that to the CC company.

sachem allison
05-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Son/all, I'm very happy to do it...I just didn't want to assume you all would be happy with me doing it.

no worries here my friend. we appreciate this alot.

brainsausage
05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I thought Justin was implying that we'd set up the shipping labels ourselves and send them electronically to Zweifel...

tkern
05-25-2013, 01:04 AM
I don't have anything in this but I'd like to help.

Zweifel, I'll take care of the gasoline expense. PM me with how much it cost you to drive there and back.

Zwiefel
05-25-2013, 01:52 AM
I don't have anything in this but I'd like to help.

Zweifel, I'll take care of the gasoline expense. PM me with how much it cost you to drive there and back.
Wow...I'm touched....not sure you want to pay for a V8 + 5 ton RV for 600ish miles.

How about 1-way?

Z

tkern
05-25-2013, 02:02 AM
Ha! How far is the drive? Sure, one way it is.

Zwiefel
05-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Ha! How far is the drive? Sure, one way it is.

Sent PM.

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Gentlepersons,

I was able to get everything picked up tonight. I've taken photos of everything and will upload that when I get home, and start building an inventory spreadysheet.

One problem I've seen already....when merging Eamons list with the list we've compiled over the last few days, we have a total of 21 names for 15 knives.

Crothcipt
05-26-2013, 01:05 AM
Ya that is why Will was wanting a list from Eamon.

sachem allison
05-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Gentlepersons,

I was able to get everything picked up tonight. I've taken photos of everything and will upload that when I get home, and start building an inventory spreadysheet.

One problem I've seen already....when merging Eamons list with the list we've compiled over the last few days, we have a total of 21 names for 15 knives.
he has a lot of our personal knives also, did he send those?

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 02:17 AM
he has a lot of our personal knives also, did he send those?

Son, i got a number of your personal knives, including the one from Don Nguyen....and its spectacular.

I dont think there were any other knives belonging to anyone else....but im pretty tired...been going for 17 hours.

cclin
05-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Son, i got a number of your personal knives, including the one from Don Nguyen....and its spectacular.

I dont think there were any other knives belonging to anyone else....but im pretty tired...been going for 17 hours.

danmm....where is my DT itk & Butch Harner gyuto??

WillC
05-26-2013, 08:16 AM
Zweifel, thats amazing well done. I'll have a look to this list thing later, there can not be 21 names as the list was to 10 then it was extended to 15. Unless Eamon had started taking orders for a further batch, but I find this unlikely. I wonder if we have some forum names and peoples real names on the list.
Anything you need drop me a pm or email me. Cheers
Will

brainsausage
05-26-2013, 08:43 AM
I still have his emails to me notifying me of progress from last August. Unfortunately it doesn't mention anyone else on the list:/

knyfeknerd
05-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Zwiefel, I don't have anything owed to me but I just wanted to say how cool it was for you to do this.
Also, you need to do a KKF roadtrip with that sweet RV!

ejd53
05-26-2013, 11:50 AM
This is exactly the type of response that prompted me to run the Tuxedo Gyuto giveaway. This is really a special place.

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Zwiefel, I don't have anything owed to me but I just wanted to say how cool it was for you to do this.
Also, you need to do a KKF roadtrip with that sweet RV!

I'm planning to do exactly that. Going to head up to see Dave and take some sharpening lessons....maybe sees whoever is between little rock and Philly on ther way there and back.

Also, going to take it to vegas in Oct.

This is exactly the type of response that prompted me to run the Tuxedo Gyuto giveaway. This is really a special place.it really is a special place, and I finally had a chance to contribute. Many thanks to TKern for paying for the fuel round-trip!

herea a quick teaser photo of the box after I went through everything last night. Will try to start in inventory spreadsheet tonight...was just too tired last night.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/84378626@N05/8841826249/

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I added a second tab to the spreadsheet and started the inventory....did all the easy stuff, will need help with what most of the other stuff is. I'll post pics on tues/weds after I get home.

mr drinky
05-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I have to chime in here along with the others. Strong work Zwiefel, and thanks for gassing up the RV tkern. In one fell swoop, 15 people have gotten closer to getting their knife, Son has some of his personal blades (almost) back, and Eamon has no doubt been relieved of a nagging burden (along with Will). It's an action that has had a lot of positive impact, and for that I thank you.

Btw, I like how there is a 10 dollar bill in the box too. I wonder who the owner of that is ;)

k.

EdipisReks
05-26-2013, 02:26 PM

hopefully they are in the box.

great work Zweifel!

Lefty
05-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Nice work, guys. Loy's of quarter-finished handles in there, by the looks of it. I call the random pink rectangular thing. I remember sending that into him.

sachem allison
05-26-2013, 04:53 PM
all of those cocobolo boards are mine, feel free to use them for whatever you need.

sachem allison
05-26-2013, 04:56 PM

Hey, Buddy
as a thank you for doing all of this, I would like you to have the Don Nguyen. I haven't had a chance to use it much but, I have his new one and it is the thickness I like. The one you have there is a laser I believe and once sharpened cuts like hell.
Again, thank you for doing this.
son

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 05:55 PM
hopefully they are in the box.

great work Zweifel!

Edipis, I didn't get any DT or Harner knives at all. Lemme ask Eamon.

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Hey, Buddy
as a thank you for doing all of this, I would like you to have the Don Nguyen. I haven't had a chance to use it much but, I have his new one and it is the thickness I like. The one you have there is a laser I believe and once sharpened cuts like hell.
Again, thank you for doing this.
son

Thats amazingly generous of you Son. Thank you.

sachem allison
05-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Thats amazingly generous of you Son. Thank you.

If you ever decide you don't want it sell it back to me.lol

Zwiefel
05-26-2013, 10:32 PM
If you ever decide you don't want it sell it back to me.lol
Absolutely! But not sell....give.

Zwiefel
05-27-2013, 10:10 PM

I sent Eamon a note yesterday to ask about this, but never got a response :(

I've uploaded photos of the entire inventory, you can find all of that here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84378626@N05/sets/72157633751841022/

Please feel free to add (or correct) things to the spreadsheet as you go through the photos (PM me your gmail address for edit privileges if you haven't already). I think I've got a photo of every single item except the cash. I went ahead and opened the two tube from WillC to ensure that all 15 blanks were present and in good shape...which they were. The Rows on the spreadsheet with a green background are the names from Eamon's list. I was going to post a photo of the list, but it has everyone's real name + home address on it, which I didn't want to share with the entire world. I tried to make it so that you can also comment directly on the photos.

For anyone interested in the roadtrip itself, here are more photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84378626@N05/sets/72157633751017213/

OK, going to bed soon...sorry for the poorly organized post...hope the content at the links + the spreadsheet is more clearly organized at least!

Pensacola Tiger
05-27-2013, 10:27 PM
PM inbound.

sachem allison
05-27-2013, 10:49 PM
big sabatier is mine, ironwood blocks mine.

chinacats
05-27-2013, 10:54 PM

That's some really nice Ironwood!

sachem allison
05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
I do not know if that other sabatier was Chef's refurb or not. Eamon said he was redoing the handle and the blade but, I'm not sure if that's it. He was supposed to keep it for himself. If he doesn't want it I'll take it back. I suspect that it's someone elses.

Zwiefel
05-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Group, it seems that the western utility blank was promised to both Pensacola Tiger and GlassEye. Eamon mentioned Rick's name, and wrote it on the blank...GlassEye mentioned it to me by PM before any inventory was posted.

Please advise on how I should proceed.

Zwiefel
05-27-2013, 11:06 PM

Son, I'm not familiar with many of these materials: which are the ironwood blocks?

I do not know if that other sabatier was Chef's refurb or not. Eamon said he was redoing the handle and the blade but, I'm not sure if that's it. He was supposed to keep it for himself. If he doesn't want it I'll take it back. I suspect that it's someone elses.

This seemed to be what Eamon was saying...on both counts...I didn't take a spine shot, but it's now crazy thin for about 3/4 of the length.

brainsausage
05-27-2013, 11:54 PM
I'm more than a tad distressed to see that my name is not one of the highlighted. Not sure I like the implications of this. I was worried when I first noticed that there was more than 15 names on the list for the utilities. I hate to say it, but were more blades promised/paid for than were actually available?

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Son, I'm not familiar with many of these materials: which are the ironwood blocks?

This seemed to be what Eamon was saying...on both counts...I didn't take a spine shot, but it's now crazy thin for about 3/4 of the length.

it always was, one of the thinnest Sabatiers I have ever seen. The ironwood blocks are the four dark heavy blocks in the middle pic, top row between the cocobolo boards and the belts. I'll take both of chef's Sabatiers then. Any of you makers interested in trying to make Sayas for Sabatiers? lol

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 12:32 AM
OK, getting super tired....really am going to bed soon. Wanted to drop one more note first though. I'm happy to do all of this organizational/leg work...but I think it's best if someone other than me makes the decisions on any conflicts for the materials. I've not been around here very long, plus I want to avoid any possibility of even the appearance of a conflict of interest.

Seems like we have a few options for how to deal with this: executive decision by an appointed party, or some kind of committee/poll.

I hope this makes sense.

oh, I did my best to cross-post the pics from flickr to the spreadsheet for the things I can identify...please let me know of any mismatches, or any items I pictured but didn't inventory--in those cases I just don't know what the stuff is.

one last thing. a HUGE thanks to TKern and Mrmnms. TKern funded my gasoline bill to Dallas and back at my estimated cost....Mrmnms covered the gap created by my significant underestimate. A huge thanks to Son for the first fully carbon knife in my kitchen...and a huge thanks to Don Nguyen for offering to refinish/repolish it. It's one thing to witness the generosity of this group, it's another to be a recipient of it. I'm not much of a joiner...kind of a loner nerdy guy...thanks to you all for creating a place that makes me hit "New Posts" about 10,000X daily.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 12:35 AM
The Handle for my utility knife prebuy was supposed to be made with an ironwood handle and cocobolo saya. I see that the dark handle that is glued up maybe ironwood but, I can't tell. It may also be Walnut which is what the originals were going to be made with.

kalaeb
05-28-2013, 01:24 AM
I'm more than a tad distressed to see that my name is not one of the highlighted. Not sure I like the implications of this. I was worried when I first noticed that there was more than 15 names on the list for the utilities. I hate to say it, but were more blades promised/paid for than were actually available?

Wow, this just keeps on getting worse, I certainly hope this is not the case.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Kalaeb, hey...looking like I will probably be in Vegas again the week of Jun 3rd...if you happen to be there, would be cool to meet up.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 02:07 AM

apparently 21 blades were sold. we haven't gotten clarification on this yet but, if your name wasn't on either of the list then it's 22

brainsausage
05-28-2013, 03:32 AM
I have PayPal records showing that I made a payment to Burke Cutlery for $250 on 8/18/12. Unfortunately I didn't save any of our PM's from that same time period. I only have the email that he sent earlier in the day on 8/18/12, notifying those who signed up, that he was sending invoices for the knives, and discussed tacking on costs for wood options later.

This just got a lot more complicated:(

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 03:37 AM
I have PayPal records showing that I made a payment to Burke Cutlery for $250 on 8/18/12. Unfortunately I didn't save any of our PM's from that same time period. I only have the email that he sent earlier in the day on 8/18/12, notifying those who signed up, that he was sending invoices for the knives, and discussed tacking on costs for wood options later.

This just got a lot more complicated:(

you should see if you can file a claim with Paypal for not recieving your item.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 03:40 AM
I already see a mistake on the list, one space is marked Burke Cutlery, He is not owed anything so, he should be removed from the list. I think he kept the prototype anyway.

brainsausage
05-28-2013, 03:44 AM
I'm not sure if that's possible at this late juncture. I'm more upset that I was led to believe I'd be receiving a semi custom knife from a well known maker, whilst helping support a fellow forum member(Eamon, not Will).

It's pretty $hitty IMO.

tk59
05-28-2013, 03:48 AM
I am at a loss...

brainsausage
05-28-2013, 03:50 AM
So am I, apparently.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 03:56 AM
I already see a mistake on the list, one space is marked Burke Cutlery, He is not owed anything so, he should be removed from the list. I think he kept the prototype anyway.

Son/All,

I left Burke Cutlery on the list as thats how it was on the list i got from Eamon. Just tryingto keep the record complete. Im colored the row gray, along with the row for me to indicate that the is no more to be done for that item. Im happy to do something different if anyone has another idea.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Mr. Sausage
I may have a solution to your current predicament. Since I already have a Will Catchside's, I will gladly let you have mine. Truthfully, I don't need the knife I was going to give it to one of my cooks as a thank you for all his hard work but, he left me and had to go back to Mexico and I may never see him again. I fought for this not so much for the utility knife(i wrote that off along time ago.) but, for Chef's personal knives and the Don Nguyen knife. You can have mine and that's that , no arguments.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 03:59 AM
Son/All,

I left Burke Cutlery on the list as thats how it was on the list i got from Eamon. Just tryingto keep the record complete. Im colored the row gray, along with the row for me to indicate that the is no more to be done for that item. Im happy to do something different if anyone has another idea.

no worries.
Give my utility to Brainsausage please.

brainsausage
05-28-2013, 04:02 AM
Son, you've already given far too much to this forum, your generosity seems limitless. But I really wouldn't feel right taking a knife promised to you.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 04:04 AM
shut up, take it and well shut up!
it's done not changing my mind

brainsausage
05-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Yes Chef...

ThEoRy
05-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Son's heart is limitless. I'm proud to call him a friend.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 04:06 AM
I don't have enough time left to use the ones I have. lol Gotta make room. Besides I'm still waiting for Pierre to send me that special one he made.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Thank you, Rick. right back at you. now, enough of this lovefest. going to bed gotta get up in 2 hours.

brainsausage
05-28-2013, 04:08 AM
In all seriousness- Thank you Son. It's very kind of you.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 04:09 AM
my pleasure, sir!

ThEoRy
05-28-2013, 04:10 AM
GO TO SLEEP!

Choll
05-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Good Day all and thank you Zwiefel for picking up everything and thanks to everyone else for being so involved with this. I did not see my name highlighted however I did see my block of stabilized koa clearly marked "Choll". I do have the series of PMs with Eamon where we discuss my payment sent to him as well as sending him the block of koa. I would post those PMs but it has my real name, etc in it. I'll be happy to forward the PMs to whoever needs it to verify that I paid for a knife. Clearly, the block of koa is mine. Please advise.
Also, as I said earlier I will be more than happy to pay for shipping and work done to complete my knife.

Marko Tsourkan
05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
So no Charlie's knives in the mix? Damn. Please post update on those if you hear back from Eamon.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 09:30 AM
This doesn't look good. I have a feeling Eamon got in way over his head, and oversold for more cash, with the intention I getting them to the buyers; sort of like a loan nobody else knew about. I really don't imagine it was I'll-hearted, but I could be wrong.

With that said, great work, Z! And Son, I'm incredibly happy to see those gorgeous knives of Chef's in the box! The one is unbelievable, in particular, and with your generosity, I'm glad AT LEAST those were in there.

As for the rest of the missing items, well...this sucks....

Paco.McGraw
05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
If in fact Eamon oversold on the knives, take my name off the list. There are others here that deserve and will use it more than I will.

I gave up hope on getting this knife anyways so its not really a loss for me.

If money is needed for shipping, materials, or anything else I'll pitch in. Just pm me and I'll send some funds. This is really the only way I could contribute to this.

Sam

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 09:49 AM
So no Charlie's knives in the mix? Damn. Please post update on those if you hear back from Eamon.

Absolutely. I believe Eamon and his family left to move to the gulf yesterday, I doubt we'll hear from him for a bit.

Pensacola Tiger
05-28-2013, 09:53 AM
It's becoming clear that there are 22 members who paid Eamon for a knife, but only 15 blanks. I hold no hope that Eamon will be much help with this dilemma, nor do I think that PayPal will be able to help at all, as the deadline for starting a dispute is long passed. Best just to deal with what is, at this moment.

I propose that those of us who still want a knife put $100 each into a common pool that would be divided among those who are left out. $1500 divided seven ways is ~$215 each, not quite what was paid, but better than nothing at all. A lottery could be held to determine the lucky 15, unless there are seven volunteers to forgo their place.

Anyone have another idea?

Rick

Marko Tsourkan
05-28-2013, 10:13 AM
What a mess...

I will donate a blade toward the raffle, though there will be no customization. 170-180mm petty chef that is (my go to knife size these days) in AEB-L or 52100 or 19C27. Completion wise it will take me probably up to 6 weeks, as I need to get my paid up custom orders and unfinished ready-made orders straight first.

Anyway, one way or another, we will sort this out. Maybe other makers will step up with a similar gesture.

Eamon, if you read this, you are off the hook, but please return the remaining knives you owe folks. This would be a good start in your rehabilitation in the eyes of the community.

M

Choll
05-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Just to confirm for myself, I checked my Paypal account and I did send Eamon $250 on August 21, 2012. This is obviously a mess and I have no better idea than Pensacola Tiger's. Even if I get no knife, I would like my block of koa back. It is a nice one.
For anyone just checking out this thread, I have knives from several of the vendors on this site and I have bought from the Buy/Sell forum on this site and all of those transactions went off without a problem.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 10:23 AM
it always was, one of the thinnest Sabatiers I have ever seen. The ironwood blocks are the four dark heavy blocks in the middle pic, top row between the cocobolo boards and the belts. I'll take both of chef's Sabatiers then. Any of you makers interested in trying to make Sayas for Sabatiers? lol

I added the blocks of ironwood to the inventory with your name on them, please take a look and ensure I got the right stuff.

There is only 1 sabatier...that other knife is....well I don't know, it seems like more like it belongs on a battlefield. If it's yours, I'm happy to ship it to you though.

knyfeknerd
05-28-2013, 10:26 AM
The gigantor knife is definitely Son's!
And I wouldn't be surprised if that thing had killed a person or 2 in it's existence.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Even if I get no knife, I would like my block of koa back. It is a nice one.Absolutely, it's already segregated from the rest of the stuff in a bag with your name on it. I suggest we hold off on shipping anything until we know what's happening with the rest of the stuff, this should save some money on shipping.Does that seem sensible?
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/8867966246_89f0ea35ec.jpg

Choll
05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Yes, that is the most sensible thing to do. Thanks to Marko, it sounds like I still have a chance at getting a knife. That is a most kind and generous offer Marko!!

Pensacola Tiger
05-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Absolutely, it's already segregated from the rest of the stuff in a bag with your name on it. I suggest we hold off on shipping anything until we know what's happening with the rest of the stuff, this should save some money on shipping.

Does that seem sensible?

Absolutely. At this point in time we have no clear idea of how to proceed.

I would suggest that the 22 people who have paid for a knife post in this thread about what they would like to do.

Son and Paco.McGraw have said that they no longer want a knife. Choll has said he want his. Nineteen left.

Z, perhaps another column in the spreadsheet?

Rick

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Son and Paco.McGraw have said that they no longer want a knife. Choll has said he want his. Nineteen left.

Z, perhaps another column in the spreadsheet?

Rick

I colored their names in red, the rest of the row in gray (to indicate no more work is needed on them) and made a comment in the comment column. Is that OK?

Pensacola Tiger
05-28-2013, 11:26 AM
I colored their names in red, the rest of the row in gray (to indicate no more work is needed on them) and made a comment in the comment column. Is that OK?

Works for me. Thanks!

Marko Tsourkan
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
If we do a raffle, we have to include other members who had knives with Eamon haven't received them back, some more valuable than Burke/Catcheside knives. Hopefully the missing knives will get sorted out in the next few days, so we know how to proceed.

M

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Apologies to everyone, I somehow missed two items in the photos: a piece of leather for strops, and a finished handle. I've added them to flickr and the spreadsheet.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/8867781518_fc994ec713.jpg

the handle is pretty small...if no one wants to claim it, it would work perfectly for the petty I made with Devin a few weeks ago.

jigert
05-28-2013, 11:34 AM
I just got money for a petty that, in my mind, was a gift. I'll gladly donate that small sum if you come up with some kind of fund. Just send a paypal account.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 11:57 AM
I just got money for a petty that, in my mind, was a gift. I'll gladly donate that small sum if you come up with some kind of fund. Just send a paypal account.

If it's acceptable to the group, we can use my PayPal account. I've added a new tab to the spreadsheet to keep track of funds sent for shipping.

mano
05-28-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a Mr. Itou 205mm deba with stag handles to raffle off. It was custom made and Koki estimates a replacement would cost about $640. If someone can come up with a total of what's been lost I'll sell enough slots to cover it. Something like $20-30 a chance. To keep paypal out of it the ticket funds have to be sent by check, cash or money order to me or someone trustworthy. That person will disperse checks accordingly.

LMK if there are obvious flaws I missed. This will take some time, but it should make everyone whole again. It'll also take the pressure of the artisans who have already donated their time, skills and material.

Pensacola Tiger
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
If we do a raffle, we have to include other members who had knives with Eamon haven't received them back, some more valuable than Burke/Catcheside knives. Hopefully the missing knives will get sorted out in the next few days, so we know how to proceed.

M

We have two issues here. The overselling of the Catcheside-Burke utilities, for which I have proposed a solution that does not involve a raffle, is one issue. The other issue is the loss of knives that were sent to Eamon for work of some nature. A drawing for donated knives, like your generous offer of a utility, is an excellent idea to compensate members for their loss. I don't think it's necessary to combine the two efforts.

sachem allison
05-28-2013, 12:09 PM
I added the blocks of ironwood to the inventory with your name on them, please take a look and ensure I got the right stuff.

There is only 1 sabatier...that other knife is....well I don't know, it seems like more like it belongs on a battlefield. If it's yours, I'm happy to ship it to you though.

big daddy is mine!

WillC
05-28-2013, 12:13 PM
I am just trying to follow this and catch up. I have been too busy to deal with this mess Eamon has left. Thanks so much to those helping keep this organized.
I will be very upset if Eamon has sold more than 15 knives, bad kama. But lets keep this civil.
I'll just go and study the list and try to make sense of it, we have a couple of names overlapping on the list forum/real names?

mr drinky
05-28-2013, 12:29 PM
Just to confirm. If our name wasn't highlighted, does that mean we were not on Eamon's list? I checked my papal records and I made the payment on 20 August 2012 and have the e-mail trail. Regardless, I'll see how this develops before I make my decision. I may give up my knife. If we do a lottery and I am selected, I may take the knife, use it for a bit, then give it to someone who didn't get selected but paid for one.

Frankly, this whole thing has finally started to leave a sour taste in my mouth, and I am no longer sure I even want this knife as part of my collection. It would be a constant reminder of the complete charlie foxtrot that has affected the fine members of this forum.

Regardless, of what happens, I would like my block of wood back whenever things are sorted out.

k.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 12:32 PM
big daddy is mine!

Sweet. I put your name on it on the spreadsheet.

we have a couple of names overlapping on the list forum/real names?

I don't think so, eamon's list included real names as well as Nicknames...but I don't know everyone's name and I am human....though my wife calls that into question from time to time :)

Here is the sanitized version of the list from Eamon:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5469/8867790389_32c7f339c0_b.jpg

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Just to confirm. If our name wasn't highlighted, does that mean we were not on Eamon's list?

Correct. :(

WillC
05-28-2013, 12:34 PM
I see its quite clear we have 22 names there. Are all confirmed to have paid Eamon.
I cant quite believe this, Im very angry, so I wont say too much.

Do we have Eamons knife at least? which he handled as an example as that would make the total blades 16 plus the full tang one, (I did not make that one).I find it amazing that he could have the cheek to keep the example for himself.

I don't have enough stainless to make make 7 extras, even if I wanted to. I have already had to kiss goodbye to full payment for the 15 I made. I cant imagine how Eamon got this so wrong or how he thought it was acceptable behavior.

I can do the extras in carbon if it were an acceptable compromise to those left hanging. I will have to do the work over a weekend sometime in the next 4 weeks, as my time is tight at the moment to make enough money to pay my own bills.:(

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 12:41 PM
Do we have Eamons knife at least?

No sir :(

Pensacola Tiger
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Just to confirm. If our name wasn't highlighted, does that mean we were not on Eamon's list? I checked my papal records and I made the payment on 20 August 2012 and have the e-mail trail. Regardless, I'll see how this develops before I make my decision. I may give up my knife. If we do a lottery and I am selected, I may take the knife, use it for a bit, then give it to someone who didn't get selected but paid for one.

Frankly, this whole thing has finally started to leave a sour taste in my mouth, and I am no longer sure I even want this knife as part of my collection. It would be a constant reminder of the complete charlie foxtrot that has affected the fine members of this forum.

Regardless, of what happens, I would like my block of wood back whenever things are sorted out.

k.

There may be others who feel as you do, K.

I have the time, so if it's agreeable to the rest of you, I volunteer to PM each of the 22 and ask for their desires regarding the knife.

Rick

WillC
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Zwiefel, thank you so much for your time on this, you have taken on a burden here, and done so much already, I will try to make it less.
Thanks for all suggestions and offers, knife offer from Marko, the idea of putting money into a pot to refund those who would be left without could work. And I stand by my offer to do the extras in Carbon. I would advise you all to read though the thread, review what has been offered or suggested and let me know your thoughts. I will do the same.

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Zwiefel, thank you so much for your time on this, you have taken on a burden here, and done so much already, I will try to make it less.

Very happy to be able to contribute to this awesome community.

EdipisReks
05-28-2013, 01:46 PM
hey guys, just a head's up: i didn't order one of the utilities. Eamon had made some sayas for me, and worked on a handle, so that might be why my name was attached.

Lefty
05-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Take another off the list. I can't recall what I had ordered from Eamon, but I don't believe it was one of these. I'll go back in my Paypal archives and check. I know I was very tempted to order one, so maybe one day I did. You know what, regardless, mine is up for grabs, if I'm in line for one.

Thanks, guys.

WillC
05-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Well on a positive note, we started the thread with exactly Zero of anything from Eamon , now we have 15 Utility knives all the materials and many of peoples personal possessions to be returned or completed. So we are only a little way short:)

Zwiefel
05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
hey guys, just a head's up: i didn't order one of the utilities. Eamon had made some sayas for me, and worked on a handle, so that might be why my name was attached.

ER, updated the spreadsheet to reflect this. Thanks for the heads-up! that gets us down to 19.

Just to make sure we don't have any others, here is the rest of the list from Eamon:

Crothcipt
El Pescador
Iceman91
Lefty
Pabloz
Pensacola Tiger
Pitonboy
Rrlover
SpikeC
Stereo Pete
Tgraypots
TK59

resharing the link to the spreadsheet so people don't have to dig around for it: