PDA

View Full Version : Stone set up

wellminded1
05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Looking to purchase new stone set up, looking for some guidance or recommendations , have carbons, stainless and semi stainless in the line up. I have a 240/1000 combo now, and a 1000/6000 , any thoughts or some help would be great guys.

tk59
05-23-2013, 12:36 AM
What is your priority? Price? Value? Performance? Are we talking strictly western style, monosteel knives? I've been using Gesshin 1k and 5k splash n go for quite a while. I still like them a lot for general sharpening duty except for highly wear resistant steels. I've tried the improved versions at JKI and they are even better in terms of speed and feedback. They are a bit pricey, last I checked but I'll be switching to those as soon as I wear these guys out, regardless. For value, you can't beat the Bester-Rika pairing in the soaker department.

NO ChoP!
05-23-2013, 12:37 AM
You seem to be covered as far as progression is concerned. Are you looking to replace these? Are you looking for soakers? Splash-n-gos?

edit*TK beat me to the punch

wellminded1
05-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Priority would be performance then price, All wa handle, some kono hd's in there, a few carter blue steel clads and some masakage AS clads, just looking to switch it up and try something new. splash and go or soakers is fine with me.

jgraeff
05-23-2013, 03:42 AM
What is your priority? Price? Value? Performance? Are we talking strictly western style, monosteel knives? I've been using Gesshin 1k and 5k splash n go for quite a while. I still like them a lot for general sharpening duty except for highly wear resistant steels. I've tried the improved versions at JKI and they are even better in terms of speed and feedback. They are a bit pricey, last I checked but I'll be switching to those as soon as I wear these guys out, regardless. For value, you can't beat the Bester-Rika pairing in the soaker department.

Tk what do you mean about improved versions??