PDA

View Full Version : Too many sub-forums!

crizq0
03-02-2011, 09:04 PM
It was so easy to skim a single forum real quick.

Now there's so many good topics going in all these forums I spend too much time here reading them now.

So far so good though.

Vertigo
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Way, way too many subforums! Especially for forum software that isn't particularly good at cookie management. ;)

Still, it's a work in progress, I don't doubt that in six months it'll look quite a bit different.

so_sleepy
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Agreed, too many subforums. I am just using the "new posts" button at the top and ignoring the forum structure.

UnConundrum
03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep, New Posts is where to be if you don't want to surf sub-forums, and the little round icon to the left of the topic (with two chevrons pointing down I think) will take you to the last post you read in the thread (the cookie request). It WOULD be nice if that round icon was bigger. I keep clicking on the topic instead of the icon....

Dave Martell
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I couldn't agree more on the subforums, I like a minimalist set up just like anyone but I didn't love the one forum set up at KF either. I think there has to be a balance in the middle somewhere.

On the issue of the software not correctly marking the threads read, this has been an issue as the default was to only mark stuff read based on timing out (how stupid!). Once we figured this to be the issue we made changes that will now more appropriately mark read items using cookies. To get the system working for you either clean out your cache or go to eah subforum and mark them as read.

Dave Martell
03-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I'll look at the sub forum issue and see what I can come up with.

sw2geeks
03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Good tip on the new post button, I was going to the home page to see the new post.

add
03-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Yes, maybe too many subforums, or perhaps it is just how they are laid out?

Hate to even bring it up being it is so early on.

But the site has a fractured feel and is missing a certain intimacy because of it... just my opinion.

Regardless, thanks again Dave for the new venue.

Vertigo
03-03-2011, 12:17 AM
But the site has a fractured feel and is missing a certain intimacy because of it...

That's a great observation!

hien
03-03-2011, 12:43 AM
yes, too many sub categories. kill half or more

Dave Martell
03-03-2011, 02:54 AM
I did some reorganizing. Let me know what you think.

dreamsignals
03-03-2011, 12:49 PM
i have to confess i'm still a little bit confused...at any given time i'll have 5 tabs open with each subforum and then a few more with the topics i'm reading...

dreamsignals
03-03-2011, 12:50 PM
i do love the quick reply though! good think there's a time limit between post ;)

phasedweasel
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
I think there's too many subforums by a factor of 2 or 3. If I were asked, I'd probably try to put forums that would collect active threads about knives in one, maybe two forums. Then you have vendor forums, offtopic, and support forums. A forum for pics. Finally a forum for knowledge-base stuff: stickies, long explanations, videos, etc.

Dave Martell
03-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Any better guys?

mr drinky
03-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I like the look of it much better. I do, however, think that the buy/sell/trade could be separated, but that is just me. That last thing I need is to click into "the kitchen" and have purchasing temptation ;)

Also, just an idea (and possibly a bad one). I think it would be great to have a sub-forum or somewhere where there would be a list of production knives and stones, where users could give feedback. You can always search I guess, but I found that a bit clumsy in the past as many reviews get buried quite easily.

Just thoughts.

k.

JBroida
03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
i would take the media stuff and put it inside "the kitchen"

The BoardSMITH
03-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I appreciate the changes the forum has had so far. One poster said the look today will be far different than in one year and I agree 100%. The changes do make the forum easier and less cluttered. Keep improving it Dave.

Also, the back and forth posting I am seeing now here is a lot like the other forum once was when I joined three years ago. I hope it always stays this fresh and interesting!

Dave Martell
03-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep working on it.

Vertigo
03-04-2011, 11:13 PM
You'll definitely want to consider a sticky topic in the Welcome forum, with a comprehensive list of links to various parts of the forum, and a synopsis of how to use them. Obviously that could wait until the various parts of the forum have "settled" more. ;)

JBroida
03-05-2011, 04:05 AM
starting to look good

Dave Martell
03-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Phew, that's promising to hear. :)

Andy777
04-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Still too many! It's funny, I was just thinking the other day how I don't like forums with so many sub forums, not a comment on this site in particular, just overall. I remember back in the day on KF when we just had ITK, nothing else, we all hung out there, we had all our off topic posts in there, no one cared, you could just hang out in one spot and see everything and talk to everyone. Now I have to look all over the place, it wears me out. Maybe I'm just getting old but I think 3 sub forums total would be perfect. We're all friends here. :biggrin2:

I know as sites get bigger and there are more members and more posts it helps to be organized, but I still miss the good old days.

Andy777
04-09-2011, 03:12 AM
I should also add, I was lazy in registering (I don't really know why) but I read the site for a bit before I got around to it. I just looked and it has gotten A LOT better regarding less cluttered with sub forums. Thanks Dave! (Still too many though :razz: )

WildBoar
04-09-2011, 10:56 AM
FWIW, I almost always just click on 'New Posts', so the number of subforums is not very noticeable to me. I think it's more of an issue when searching or wanting to start a new thread (but in both of those cases I think the current strucure is pretty good).

Dave Martell
04-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm constantly thinking about this and I'm reluctant to make the site any smaller (or rather compact) at this time. I do appreciate the feedback though, I like to hear what people are thinking.

RRLOVER
04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
I really like how this forum is laid out.I think it is great that the knifemakers and vendors have there own spot,if someone makes a new blade or handle i know where to find them.

Jim
04-09-2011, 01:25 PM
It should also be noted that when comparing this new place to the old place, that the old place was just a subforum of a bigger place. This new place is more like the overall old place, not just the slice of the old place that it was.

FryBoy
04-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I think you've struck a nice balance, but then like someone else suggested, I always go to "new posts," which then lists the new posts in every forum. In fact, that's the link I have in my favorites/bookmarks. You do have to remember to click the "mark forums read" when you leave to avoid having those you chose not to read appear on the list when you return.

Jim
04-09-2011, 03:28 PM
I think you've struck a nice balance, but then like someone else suggested, I always go to "new posts," which then lists the new posts in every forum. In fact, that's the link I have in my favorites/bookmarks. You do have to remember to click the "mark forums read" when you leave to avoid having those you chose not to read appear on the list when you return.

This is the most efficient way to browse the forum.:thumbsup:

SpikeC
04-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I also make us of the "new posts" button, and if I want to find something that I saw previously it is easy to find with the sub group structure as it is. The current system works very well for me, at least!

Eamon Burke
04-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I think the new posts button is great for addicts, but the subforums are awesome to me! Hey, it might just be my personality, but I like things compartmentalized.