PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this budget R2 knife?

James
06-10-2013, 11:40 PM
I was browsing the cutlery section of rakuten and stumbled across this:

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/honmamon-r/item/4582243651745/

Seems like quite a lot of knife for the price, but don't have any info on grind or HT. To me, it resembles the Tanaka R2, although it doesn't have that snazzy ironwood handle. After emailing the seller, I was told that the knife was made by a "Kaji craftsman in hyogo".

I think it's noteworthy that the same seller also sells Tanaka ironwood knives and that, at least from what I've read, Tanaka is also located in Hyogo prefecture.

Anyone info or opinions?

bkdc
06-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I own two Kazuyuki Tanaka gyutos that are NOT Ironwood. My Tanakas have wa-handles. And that gyuto's profile and finish looks like my Tanaka.

knyfeknerd
06-11-2013, 12:06 AM
You've gotta buy it! Looks good.
There's also a pretty sweet looking 300mm gyuto for under $200 from the same store....................
........I'm patiently awaiting your review on the R2 knife!

James
06-11-2013, 12:21 AM
It really does! I'm in the market for the 240, but it's sold out at the moment. Hmm...decisions decisions

bkdc
06-11-2013, 10:34 AM
If that exact knife becomes available in 240mm, I think I'll try it out.

Justin0505
06-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Interesting, but a bit odd/ suspicious.
Looks like a vintage American partial tang handle the a beaver got ahold of. Im guessing the chewed section is for your pinky?

Also, IIRC sg2 and r2 are similar, but not the same. But then the title says r2, but the steel is referred to as "super gold II."

Seems fishy...
Whatever pm steel it is, i think that we have all learned the importance of ht esp with these exotic materials and i would guess this is not done in a big batch; not w/ individual attention.

$160 is a bargain for a good knife, but a rip-off for junk.

Well made knifes cost what they do for a reason.

cclin
06-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Also, IIRC sg2 and r2 are similar, but not the same. But then the title says r2, but the steel is referred to as "super gold II."
SG2 & R2 are same pm steel, please check http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/10067-R2-and-SG-2-steel?highlight=. different knife maker with different HT will make SG2/R2 steel act varied!

James
06-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Yep...I'm actually surprised we didn't find out about that earlier. I looked through some threads on KF the other day and someone contacted Tanaka with the same question years ago (in like 09) and got the same response.

Anyways, still thinking about picking one up and maybe passing it to a forum member with experience with the Tanaka R2 for comparison's sake. You're right about the handles justin. It's butt ugly, but if it does turn out to be an OEM situation, this would be the perfect candidate for a rehandle job.

tk59
06-13-2013, 01:12 AM
The profile on these is not what I generally associate with Tanaka blades. It seems flatter...

James
06-13-2013, 01:24 AM
Are the ironwood ones curvier? Here's a link to the wa handled one:

http://www.ironchefknives.com.au/chef-knives/knives-by-maker/tanaka-chef-knife-gyuto-240mm-by-kazuyuki-tanaka-octagonal-red-sandalwood