06-15-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm eating at the In-laws so the food will be OK, but the company will be great;). I would rather be planning and cooking the meal but oh well. Any Dads planning the FD meals and if so please share them so I can live vicariously:biggrin:
06-15-2013, 11:11 AM
I'm my doggies daddy and I am having Doggie Daddy Father's Day dinner tonight! A 12 oz New York steak cooked on the BGE at around 700 degrees. Maybe some soba noodles with garlic and onions in sesame oil.
06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
For my Dad today: Omelets with feta, spinach and mushrooms. Diced potatoes with onion and bell pepper. Bacon. Dried current/ cream scones (wife made those).
For me tomorrow, I will be enjoying a bunch of stuff at our monthly cooking club. The theme is herbs. We're making some eggplant and some green beans, and flank steak w/ chimichurri. There will be a trout dish and a salmon dish for the fish-eaters. Also a gazpacho and some herbed biscuits. Mint ice cream for dessert.
06-15-2013, 12:07 PM
My menu is:
Grilled Baby Lobster Tails with
Saffron Herb Drizzle
12 Lobster tails, shells removed
1/3 cup olive oil + 2 tbls
6 cloves roasted garlic, smashed and minced
2 sprigs thyme, chopped
¼ tsp saffron threads
Pre heat grill on high
1. Season lobster tails with 2 tbls. of olive oil, salt and pepper,
2. Place olive oil in a glass bowl and add in minced roasted garlic and chopped
thyme. Season with saffron, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Heat in
microwave on high for 30-45 seconds
3. Place marinated lobster tails on pre-heated grill and grill each side for 2-3
4. Remove from grill and serve with saffron drizzle.
Grilled Spanish Chorizo & Roasted Tomato Bruschetta
1 lb Spanish Chorizo, sliced ¼” thin
2 pints grape tomatoes
½ cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, crushed
½ lb wedge Reggiano Parmesan cheese, shaved
1 large unseeded Italian bread, split lengthwise
¼ cup Italian parsley
½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
Pre heat grill to high and oven to 350 degrees
1. Grill sliced chorizo on pre heated grill until golden brown, keep warm.
2. Toss tomatoes and crushed garlic with 1-2 tbls olive oil and season with salt
and pepper, place into pre heated oven for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are
golden brown and slightly wrinkled. Discard garlic.
3. Drizzle sliced Italian bread with olive oil and lightly toast in oven, remove
from oven and top each sliced of bread with a basil leaf, top with grilled
chorizo and with roasted tomatoes and shaved parmesan cheese.
4. Drizzle with olive oil and chopped parsley.
Mediterranean Chopped Salad with
Roasted Olive Vinaigrette
1/4 cup plus an additional ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp sweet or hot paprika
3 (6-inch) pita breads with pockets
3 tbls sherry vinegar
3 tbls lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup pitted Spanish olives, roasted
3 cups loosely packed arugula
3 cups loosely packed baby greens
1 large red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
1 large yellow bell peppers, coarsely chopped
1 lb roasted cherry tomatoes
1 cup chickpeas
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
1. Mix 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the cumin and paprika in a small bowl. Split
each pita horizontally into 2 rounds and brush the rough sides with equal
amounts of the oil mixture. Cut the rounds into small triangles or 1-inch
pieces and arrange in 1 flat layer on a large baking sheet. Bake until golden
and crisp, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt when just out of the oven.
2. Blend the vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, roasted olives, mustard, salt,
and pepper in a blender to form a smooth dressing.
3. Just before serving, pile the arugula and mesclun in the center of the bowl
on top of the dressing. Surround with the peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, and
feta. Add the pita croutons, toss and serve.
Grilled Rib-eye Steak
Served with Roasted Garlic Butter
* Boneless Prime Rib-eye Steak, 3 inches thick
2-3 tbls olive oil
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 stick sweet butter
12 cloves roasted garlic
¼ cup lemon juice
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees
1. Pre heat grill on high, season steak with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and
rub with the thyme sprig.
2. Place butter, roasted garlic and lemon juice in a food processor, process
until smooth, reserve for later.
3. Sear both sides of steak on grill and place in a pre-heated 325-degree oven.
4. Remove steak from oven when an internal temperature reaches the desired
doneness, 125 degrees for rare, 130 degrees for medium and above 155
degrees for well done. Top with prepared roasted garlic butter, cover with
foil. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
Cream Roasted Corn
1 lb thick cut bacon, diced into ¼” dice
1 cup diced onions
4 cloves fresh garlic
8 ears fresh corn, kernels sliced off, reserving cobs
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 cup heavy cream
2 tbls butter
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
¼ cup vegetable oil
1. Place corn kernels on a foil lined cookie sheet and season with salt and
pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and roast for 10-15 minutes or until golden
brown. Keep warm.
2. Heat cream with corn cobs.
3. In a heavy bottom pot, sauté bacon until browned add onions, sauté until
soft and translucent, add in minced garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add heated cream (remove cobs), and reduce by 1/3rd. Add roasted corn and
cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
5. Finish with butter, salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley.
06-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Smoked turkey, bioche, baked potatoes, green beans from the crock pot just like the In laws like them, and modernist cuisine carmelized carrot soup. Flourless chocolate cake with buttermilk strawberry ice cream, and divinity candy for dessert. Some great cappuccinos and family time will also occur a pretty good day so far. Nothing fancy but I did make the carrot soup and ice cream to branch them out a little.
Smoked turkey stock is on the stove going now, a pretty good day of cooking and family time.
06-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Since it is suppose to rain later I smoked an eye of round yesterday.
I marinaded it overnight then wiped it dry and applied rub while it tempered. Then set the grill up for indirect heat @ 250 degrees. A mix of apple, cherry and white oak provided the smoke. @ 145 I wrapped in it foil and finished cooking till done. While it was resting I smoked some sweet red peppers and some poblano chilies. A red cabbage and carrot slaw, the sliced peppers w/olive oil/salt and some shaved shallots with agave/salt made for some excellent tacos. Round two will taste even better today.
Happy Fathers Day
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.8 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.