PDA

View Full Version : Help with the grind - how thick, how high, how thin, how do?

Don Nguyen
06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
I hope this is the appropriate place to place this thread - I think I'm allowed a discussion every 90 days?

On to the topic - I'm kind of lost on how to approach the grind. My goal is a good all-around knife that cuts and releases food well (non-laser).

Spine thickness is fixed at approximately 3mm
Taper to 1mm towards tip

I came up with this diagram which views the cross section of the grind from behind for a right-handed knife (viewing from choil). I'm a visual and systematic thinker, so I have to do it this way.

http://i.imgur.com/cYuh0fw.png

That's the grind I've been using for a while. Am I even on the right track? For right-handed asymmetry, I'm assuming the convexity on the right side has to be more pronounced. This is where I'm really lost - I'm unsure on how thin to go at x/y, and how high to go with a/b. Lately I've been going pretty thin at the x/y, about 1mm, and then having a/b about 1/3 the way up the blade.

I realize this is a giant can of worms and there isn't one concrete answer, but any and all input is helpful and appreciated. Thanks!

tk59
06-16-2013, 12:44 PM
I would just grind it conservatively and then cut with it. If you don't like it, grind it some more. There's no "right" answer. It's a balance and each person will have a slightly different preference. After you grind one or two knives this way, it will become very clear to you what you want. At least that's how it was for me.

Don Nguyen
06-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Haha, that's the answer I was a little scared of. Thanks Tinh.

I guess it's time to make a knife for myself to test and abuse.

sachem allison
06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
leave your grind alone, dammit! You are doing perfectly fine. every time I find one I like you gotta mess with it.lol Just, like Marko. The quest for perfection will drive you insane.

tk59
06-16-2013, 04:19 PM
LOL. I doubt it. I think he's just working on a different type of knife is all. I'm sure he's not abandoning his early successes. When you stop trying stuff out, something inside you dies. :)

Don Nguyen
06-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Haha........ Son is right. I'm just searching for "better".

Maybe I'm making the mistake of trying to please everybody, but I just can't help but think that there are better grinds out there. Too many possibilities, so I'm trying to get ideas on what works and in what ways.

tk59
06-16-2013, 06:16 PM
If that's the case, you should do some grinding and bring your stuff to WCG. :thumbsup:

sachem allison
06-16-2013, 06:48 PM
waiting on a tk knife.

NO ChoP!
06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
I think TK is busy configuring the laser sight...

Don, see if you can dig up Salty's vid where he used clay to show the grind of various well known knives...

Don Nguyen
06-17-2013, 02:06 AM
If that's the case, you should do some grinding and bring your stuff to WCG. :thumbsup:

I've got a workhorse I'll be working on and hopefully have it done by then. Might throw it into a passaround after that.

I think TK is busy configuring the laser sight...

Don, see if you can dig up Salty's vid where he used clay to show the grind of various well known knives...

Definitely haven't seen that one yet. I'll go search for it, thanks!

Von blewitt
06-17-2013, 02:13 AM
Here it is Don
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/printpost.php?tid/915735/

Don Nguyen
06-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Awesome, thanks Huw!

Hard to tell what kinds of grinds those are in my eyes; many of those look like full flat grinds. The Masamoto even looks like a hollow? I can see the convex on the CF and Ealy though.