PDA

View Full Version : Question on Sanding down tang

ms4awd
06-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Can anyone give advice on how to go about sanding down the tang of a handle to make it flush with the wood scales? I have a nenox whose tang is ever so slightly raised on the top of the handle on one side only. Can i just sand it down manually by hand? what grit should i use? and how do i finish it so it will be back to the same finish as before. Its a quince wood handle. The wood didnt shrink i think from the factory the tang was a bit off on one side wasnt ground flush completely. Doesnt really affect holding the knife its more of an annoyance i would like to resolve more than anything. thanks

Brad Gibson
06-23-2013, 03:26 PM
I'd recommend covering the scales with some thick sort of masking tape and going at the tang with a low grit and work up to the grit that makes the finish match the rest of the knife. You can polish it out with mud from a 5000+ stone when you are done as well. Good luck, make sure you cover the entire scales so no mistakes mess up your nice handle!

NO ChoP!
06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
You'll need some sort of block, so you don't sand down any wood. Start aggressively and work up to maybe 800 grit...

ms4awd
06-23-2013, 11:48 PM
You'll need some sort of block,

What type of block would this be?

ThEoRy
06-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Belt grinder.

Mike9
06-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Depending on the HT on the tang a fresh file might be easier and faster to knock it down then polish to match.

HHH Knives
06-26-2013, 10:16 PM
If I may interject. Rather then sanding down the tang. How about oiling the wood handle so it re hydrates the wood.. which should allow it to swell a bit and problem solved.

Then if this does not work. try the sanding approach.

God Bless
Randy

greasedbullet
06-26-2013, 11:44 PM
What type of block would this be?

A sanding block. They sell them at Lowes. I just wrap sandpaper around a 2x4 scrap, or some other form of scrap wood.

ms4awd
06-27-2013, 02:01 AM
If I may interject. Rather then sanding down the tang. How about oiling the wood handle so it re hydrates the wood.. which should allow it to swell a bit and problem solved.

Then if this does not work. try the sanding approach.

Yes i have been applying oil every few days for the past 10 days or so. After 2 or 3 days the scales start looking dry again, were you referring to soaking the handle in oil? ive been using camelia/tsubaki oil. Im not quite sure if its the wood scales or the knife just needs to be finished better.

knyfeknerd
06-27-2013, 02:20 AM
I would try soaking it in mineral oil 1st, it doesn't have to be Camelia/Tsubaki. If this doesn't help, you could always coat it and sand it (would be a long process) with Tru-Oil, sanding in between applications until the finish meets the height of the tang.

NO ChoP!
06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Hmm...I guess it may be prudent to try oil first, before altering an expensive knife forever, but my brain tells me that a shrinkage of just .5mm in a wood handle X 20mm wide x 300mm around = a lot of volume to make up for; not sure if wood can even sustain-ably hold that much extra oil? Now, I know Tru-Oil builds up on the surface, so maybe that's different. I personally don't like the finish for handles; I'm more of a naturalist; high grit polish; oil; wax....