PDA

View Full Version : WIP: First Yanagiba Fix

tk59
05-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Here's the story: I like to mess with knives. The problem is that I don't want to buy more cheapies and I don't want to experiment on my nice stuff SO I prey upon unsuspecting people that don't do a particularly good job of caring for their knives and promise to give them back something better than they had before. I've done this with great success fixing double bevel knives. This is my first single bevel project. If you have any advice, I'm all eyes. Bear with me as I figure out how to do pics...
These are the before pics. It is slightly concave in the normally curved area, there are chips, the shinogi is jacked and it's rusted and generally gross.

tk59
05-23-2011, 09:14 PM
This is after a few min fixing the profile on a belt grinder. The shape is a little triangular because I didn't want to grind off too much from the tip.

Mattias504
05-23-2011, 09:15 PM
yikes...
have fun with that!!

tk59
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
This is the current state after several hours of grinding into shape and some cosmetic polishing. The blade road is a little bumpy still and the shinogi is a little wavy due to an embarrassing moment of weakness for which I've repented. I'm not sure what to do with the jacked up back-side, yet.

tk59
05-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Sorry it all came out at once. I had trouble with pics.

dough
05-23-2011, 10:16 PM
wow what a project... i like your got for it style though.
also enjoy seeing it as a WIP

Jim
05-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice progress!

tk59
05-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks! I got a lot of help from the proprietor at Japanese Knife Imports, aka J-Bro. I was really starting to sweat at one point. Thanks, Jon!

JBroida
05-24-2011, 01:50 AM
i'm not sure if J-Bro makes me sound cool or like a douche ;)

heirkb
05-24-2011, 02:27 AM
Depends. Among us, it's cool :thumbsup: or at least funny
Dunno if I'd recommend that you use the name in public, though

stereo.pete
05-24-2011, 09:25 AM
The name "J-Bro" sounds like a character from Jersey Shore. I will say that I agree with heirkb and recommend not to use it in public :) .

Lefty
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I agree, but if everyone continues calling me "Lefty-T", I'm ok with it. :p

stereo.pete
05-24-2011, 01:14 PM
I agree, but if everyone continues calling me "Lefty-T", I'm ok with it. :p

Going forward I want to be called "The Stipulation." :)

mhlee
05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Jon:

Grow your hair out long, then grease it back, and wear a white tank top and some bling (maybe a big gold chain with a knife medallion on it) and I think "J-Bro" will be the perfect nickname for you. :evilgrin:

JBroida
05-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Jon:

Grow your hair out long, then grease it back, and wear a white tank top and some bling (maybe a big gold chain with a knife medallion on it) and I think "J-Bro" will be the perfect nickname for you. :evilgrin:

i think maybe we all need to change our online names... this forums will become Kitchen knife Forums- Jersey Shore Edition

Eamon Burke
05-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Good then I can still keep my screen name.

I'm interested in this repair! Are you planning on re-grinding the ura?

watercrawl
05-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Looks great Tinh!!

tk59
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Adam. As for the ura, it's ugly but there is really only one problem spot. I'm thinking of doing a normal sharpening with a lower grit stone (1k?) until it's flat across the entire edge and then polish up.

Pensacola Tiger
05-24-2011, 06:03 PM
i think maybe we all need to change our online names... this forums will become Kitchen knife Forums- Jersey Shore Edition

Does that mean that Dave will have to start fantasizing about Snooki instead of Rachael?

SpikeC
05-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Ugh.

Dave Martell
05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Does that mean that Dave will have to start fantasizing about Snooki instead of Rachael?

Ooooooo........a squater orange version.....yumm-o

Dave Martell
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
PS - Nice work there Tinh

steeley
05-24-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.limepic.com/img/2lql.jpghttp://www.limepic.com/img/imagesofo.jpg

Well one is annoying ;no wait
one is loud and never shuts up ;oh
one has a fake tan ,no
ah there the same person:slaphead:

stereo.pete
05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Either one would be fun as long as there was no long-term relationship involved :) .

NO ChoP!
05-24-2011, 11:57 PM
That RR photo is crying for a little photoshop work......

bieniek
05-25-2011, 04:10 AM
TK, whats the progress??

allumirati
05-25-2011, 05:58 AM
Can I have privileges to view pictures?

Dave Martell
05-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Can I have privileges to view pictures?

Just make 2 posts and you should be able to obtain all general permissions. This is a spam prevention measure.

tk59
05-27-2011, 02:53 AM
TK, whats the progress??
I smoothed out the blade road/shinogi some more and reground the ura so it goes all the way around the blade but I didn't have time to take pics before I returned it for feedback. I'll get it back on Tuesday and see how it held up and then go from there.

tk59
06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I got the knife back yesterday and it was a little rusty and had a few chips and the edge had rolled/deformed in a couple areas and the heel area was still pretty sharp. I took it to the Gesshin 400 (It's a soaker but I still love that stone.) to continue to clean up the blade road/shinogi and then went to Gesshin 1k and 5k on both sides so I could finish regrinding the ura and see how I'm doing based on how the light reflects off the surface of the blade road. I then rubbed a little BKF on both sides, used a rust eraser on the entire non-sharpening surface and refinished on the 5k. This is the result. From the begining, the knife has lost over 1 cm of length and a good 2-mm or so in height (edge to spine at the heel). The ura at the tip is still a little over-ground but I decided not to fix it at this point so as not to risk messing up the whole back side.

tk59
06-02-2011, 12:37 AM
I started looking at finishes. I can still see 1k or coarser scratches that I never took out so I'll have to go back down in grit but here's the finish left by an 8k superstone (toward the heel) and a Kitayama 8k (adjacent to the superstone finish). At this point, the tip area was polished only up to 5k. One wierd thing I noticed is it seems that rust seemed to form quicker using the Kit. I didn't notice any rust formation using the SS.

bieniek
06-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Very good job indeed man. From what it was until what it became now, its huge difference and amount of your job.
But I have to say, that i would prefer to buy new knife as this one looks dead. I dont know how somebody can possibly damage a knife that way, especially back, but the wavy front bothers me also? how could you get that much metal of with only stone[I mean before you repaired it]?

tk59
06-04-2011, 01:40 PM
But I have to say, that i would prefer to buy new knife as this one looks dead. I dont know how somebody can possibly damage a knife that way, especially back, but the wavy front bothers me also? how could you get that much metal of with only stone[I mean before you repaired it]?

Yeah, the damage is confusing to me, too. I can see how the front was damaged (and I didn't do the greatest job on it either) but the back side doesn't really make sense. It took many sharpenings to accomplish, I'm sure. For me, this was a learning experience while at the same time doing a good deed. :biggrin:

Here's probably the last pics I'll post on this. I finished with Belgian coticule and then Takashima Awasedo from Jon both 8k+ stones. It looks like the contrast on both is better than the Kit and probably the Takashima is a little better than the coticule but it's close. I'll add that I love the smell of damp earth from using natural stones. It adds a little something to the meditative experience... :disturb:

bieniek
06-04-2011, 03:27 PM
You did excellent job, if you think that correcting up after others is the hardest job.
I wonder how sharp can this knife get?
I mean Jon written somewhere that too much grinding on Ura and performance will actually decrease.
So how is it?

Dave Martell
06-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I'll add that I love the smell of damp earth from using natural stones. It adds a little something to the meditative experience.

I like this too.

tk59
06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
You did excellent job, if you think that correcting up after others is the hardest job.
I wonder how sharp can this knife get?
I mean Jon written somewhere that too much grinding on Ura and performance will actually decrease.
So how is it?

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I wish I could answer your question but I have no idea what this knive was ever capable of (It could be a $50 junker for all I know.). I will say that it is easy to sharpen and takes a very nice edge, like every carbon steel I've tried. The guy I sharpened it for is a pro so I never really tried to push the edge to extreme sharpness but more for what Jon and others have described for a typical sushi chef ie toothy 5-8k finish. I put a pretty large angle on the microbevel based on the amount of damage it seemed to be taking. When I got it back, he said the knife had never been that sharp so I guess he wouldn't know either. I will say that the edge made it through an entire week (I don't know what his volume is like.) and he said it was still cutting satisfactorily. When I looked at it closely, it did show some microchipping about 1/3 of the way down the blade from the tip (this is where it was badly overground, initially) and the edge had rolled a little in some places toward the back of the knife. In the end, he's happy with the job I'm doing so I guess that's really what matters. In retrospect, I would have done a few things differently but I still feel that I understand a lot better now how to maintain this style of knife than I did before. Again, big thanks to Jon even though I didn't always follow his suggestions. He took a lot of the guess work out of the process.