PDA

View Full Version : GRRRRRrrrrrr.... Dang Windows 8

HHH Knives
06-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Well, My old computer started acting up and rather then waiting for it to die. I went and got another CPU and transferred my pictures and other important stuff to the new box. But now my Windows Live email is not working. (which has all my contact info and emails from all my clients and contacts etc.) and I am struggling with the new Windows 8 operating system.

I don't have a smart phone, or and tablets or other stuff that have browsers like this 8, so I am struggling to try and figure this darn thing out! Anyone else dislike the Windows 8? and is there a way to make it look and act like Windows 7?

any advise or help here would be appreciated.

Blessings
Randy

bkultra
06-27-2013, 08:52 PM
No worries your emails and contacts are stored on their servers (hence safe). You can make windows 8 look and act like 7 or you could even load windows 7 on it.

Here is a write up on how to make it look like 7...
http://blog.laptopmag.com/make-windows-8-like-windows-7

Edit: I'm a network engineer so I can help you in more detail if needed. Just send me a PM with any question and ill try to help you out

rdmalak
06-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I personally hate Windows 8! I had it on my new laptop I bought and I removed it as soon as I took it out of the box and put on Windows 7.

HHH Knives
06-27-2013, 10:23 PM
I got it!! Only a few hours and a couple of curses and this thing is now cooperating. I was able to get my email figured out. and loaded a shell to make this look and act a bit more like W7 Thanks for the link bkultra!

bkultra
06-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Anytime and like I said PM if you have any questions

Dave Martell
06-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I just went through this myself Randy and I cursed Windows 8 big time. I'm still not loving it but I've become used to it. I have maybe one or two things now that are better suited to myself but otherwise I'd be more than happy to go back to XP if I could.

HHH Knives
06-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Dave, The SHELL works pretty good. it was free, and easy to install. I will try and get use to the W8 format because I dont expect them to go back to the old layout any time soon! :)

I will probably take you up on the offer bkultra. I am sorta computer challenged. :dontknow:

Blessings
Randy

sachem allison
06-27-2013, 11:29 PM
wait!wait! me too! I just bought a laptop for the kitchen guys at work and it came with windows 8. I almost threw it out on the street. took me 30 minutes to figure out how to turn the damn thing off.

ThEoRy
06-27-2013, 11:41 PM
Wow, come on man! You guys are getting old. What are you gonna do when the s%$) gets all Minority Report on your a##es?

sachem allison
06-28-2013, 12:07 AM
burn it down!

Dave Martell
06-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Wow, come on man! You guys are getting old. What are you gonna do when the s%$) gets all Minority Report on your a##es?

Unplug and run for the cave.

scotchef38
06-28-2013, 04:16 AM
I have had it for a while and it still is irritating.It is very un-intuative to operate and the apps that i have tried are shocking.I will try the windows7 shell so thanks for the tip.P.S. my 13 year old hates it so it isnt just old age.

eaglerock
06-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Windows 8.1 is coming soon, should make things more like windows 7 :D

WildBoar
06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
All you have to do in Win8 is go to the Desktop. Put your shortcuts there and on the taskbar. No need to ever use the app screen, and when you boot up into it just click on the Desktop app button to get to a real interface. To turn it off you can still ctl-alt-del to bring up the menu. or click to the app screen and click on your user name in the upper right corner.

bikehunter
06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
This thread couldn't be more timely for me. I've been putting off the new computer I've been looking to buy, for a couple months. After watching a few basic instruction vids, I find it scary as hell. The idea that I can make it act like Win 7 is encouraging. You guys who are critical of us technoklutzes can bite it.:nunchucks: There's more to life than figuring out yet ANOTHER gadget.

Crothcipt
06-28-2013, 11:09 PM
burn it down!

:plus1::sumo::popcorn:

Crothcipt
06-28-2013, 11:12 PM
I don't get the whole idea of win 8. Don't they already have "app" on the computer, didn't they used to call it a shortcut? My boss told me about 8.1 and I said I still won't move over just because of the whole "app" thing.

Btw I can see why using a app on a phone is useful, but not on a computer.

gic
06-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Well this is my area of expertise for a change :- ). The two programs I install for people who hate windows 8 (which is pretty much everybody who doesn't have a touch screen) are

Start8 (free to try: $5 and well worth it, my favorite) http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download.asp
Classic Shell (free and pretty darn good) http://www.classicshell.net/

Windows 8.1 whose preview was just released at the Msft Build conference allows you to boot into the Windows desktop and sort of brings back a half fast version of the classic start menu. The preview is available for downloading here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-download

HHH Knives
06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Im glad my frustration and lack of computer skills was at all helpful! Thanks for the links gic. I went with the classic shell and its working good.

Most important to me was being able to transfer all my photos and other important stuff.

Now I have 2 computers on my desk both running and connected to the net. Its like the HHH command center on my desk! :matrix: You know, watching net flix on one screen and looking at KKF on the other!

Crothcipt
06-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Do it like that all the time. Altho I usually watch while I play wow (or other mind numbing game) or read kkf.

gic
07-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Interestingly enough a lot of studies have shown the single greatest increase to productivity on a $ benefit ratio is to add a second monitor to your computer. In our case that means, for example, you can keep KKF open on one monitor and your real work on the other. (Or I suppose email on one and an excel spreadsheet or powerpoint or just a browser on the other...)

Almost any desktop (and essentially all laptops) make it easy to add a second monitor. Windows and MAcs noth allow you to have two independent screens. (You just need to make one change to the display options in the Control Panel for windows)

Monitors are really really cheap now and 2 inexpensive 19-21" monitors will make you more productive then one expensive 24" monitor once you get used to them.

Crothcipt
07-02-2013, 05:02 PM
I wasn't going to go there. My comp. has 4 vid. cards on it so that means 8 monitors. Not counting my laptop, that I usually just use with my 1 monitor.

bikehunter
07-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Interestingly enough a lot of studies have shown the single greatest increase to productivity on a $ benefit ratio is to add a second monitor to your computer. In our case that means, for example, you can keep KKF open on one monitor and your real work on the other. (Or I suppose email on one and an excel spreadsheet or powerpoint or just a browser on the other...)

OK, bear with me...I'm a computer klutz. How is this better than simply having these things open in different windows, on the same monitor?

Crothcipt
07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
its not. But a different mind set.

ejd53
07-02-2013, 05:22 PM
its not. But a different mind set.
Unless you're gaming using the a panoramic immersive view

Crothcipt
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
lol well there is that too. But then again just a normal setup really has nothing more to add.

WildBoar
07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Having two screens means you do not need to waste a lot of time opening/ closing windows. At our office, some keep AutoCAD open on the big screen, and email, Word, etc. open on the smaller one. And some keep AutoCAD open on the big screen, and Yahoo Games on the smaller one :spankarse:

gic
07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
If you can afford a good 27" monitor, there isn't any difference as a high resolution 27" monitor would have about as many pixels and the same surface area as 2 19" monitors (but not as two 21" monitors) it's about surface area mostly, the pixel resolution is probably less relevant.

But many people are using a laptop as their main machine and for that an extra monitor is really helpful :- )

eaglerock
07-03-2013, 06:11 PM
3 is the best :yammer:

WildBoar
07-03-2013, 06:47 PM
The ones here that have two monitors have a 22 inch primary and older 17/ 19 inch secondary. I want to rework my home setup to include a 23 and a 19-21, primarily for editing pictures.

JMJones
07-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I may be late here. I can navigate and get by with windows 8 ok but every other time I touch the mouse/ control pad ??? a bunch of stuff pops up, like the time or other windows ect, anyone have a fix for that?

Thanks
John

WildBoar
07-03-2013, 10:33 PM
I can't say that I've seen an issue like that on any of our Win8 machines... Might want to check the button settings for the pointing devices.