PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening while in dress shirt and tie

echerub
05-25-2011, 01:58 PM
I just spent the latter half of my lunch hour fixing up the edge on my cleaver. My day work is in an office and I had a presentation this morning, so I'm wearing a shirt & tie today. However, I *do* have a cooking class tonight and I discovered a chip in the edge of my cleaver yesterday.

I didn't have time to hit the stones last night, so I had "no choice" but to bring a few stones in with me to fix things up. Rolled up my sleeves and just got to it.

Does sharpening while wearing a shirt and tie count as totally knutty or perfectly reasonable? :)

BTW, I'm not done yet. I'm going to finish things off with a higher-grit stone in the lab kitchen before class starts this evening ;)

Potato42
05-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Does sharpening while wearing a shirt and tie count as totally knutty or perfectly reasonable? :)

BTW, I'm not done yet. I'm going to finish things off with a higher-grit stone in the lab kitchen before class starts this evening ;)

Both depending on who you ask. For most of those here I think the last part is mandatory as well. Enjoy your class!

SpikeC
05-25-2011, 03:55 PM
I am reminded of old pictures of carpenters and cabinet makers in shirt an tie with saws and hand planes in their hands. I guess it used to be normal, mabe we should start a new normal?

tk59
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
No way would I show up to a class without my knife in tip-top shape. Seems more than reasonable to me. Excellent call! :thumbsup:

JohnnyChance
05-26-2011, 12:05 AM
I just watched a video the other day of Michael Rader in a Bladesport competition wearing a shirt and tie. So I think sharpening is okay. Class act.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-DEkMMRX0&feature=player_detailpage#t=281s

Edit: I tried to embed the video queued up at the proper moment, but that has apparently failed. Jump to 4:40 in.

Dave Martell
05-26-2011, 12:52 AM
I just watched a video the other day of Michael Rader in a Bladesport competition wearing a shirt and tie. So I think sharpening is okay. Class act.

Edit: I tried to embed the video queued up at the proper moment, but that has apparently failed. Jump to 4:40 in.

That was fun to watch - Michael kicked some butt too. :)

apicius9
05-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Not bad, Michael, especially for using the wrong hand ;) But wearing a tie is just wrong on principle. And they don't go well with Aloha shirts :)

Stefan

Lefty
05-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Is there a reason I can't view videos on my iPhone? I don't want to miss this!

l r harner
05-26-2011, 07:51 AM
i like how mike jsut walked over al sliced the bottles all but without missing a step (i would love to see a few of these cutting comp blades )

SpikeC
05-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Is there a reason I can't view videos on my iPhone? I don't want to miss this!

It is a flash video, and apple devices do not support it. Bummer.

Lefty
05-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Stupid steve jobs!

rockbox
05-26-2011, 03:15 PM
i like how mike jsut walked over al sliced the bottles all but without missing a step (i would love to see a few of these cutting comp blades )

click on this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-DEkMMRX0&feature=player_embedded#at=414

rockbox
05-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Isn't this the ABS test minus the 90 degree test?

heirkb
05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
First six seconds of that video reminded me of Forrest Gump...blade sports creole, blade sports gumbo, pan fried, blade sports...

Michael Rader
05-27-2011, 01:52 AM
Ha ha. JohnnyChance sure has it in for me. Hope there aren't any videos of my mom changing my diaper that he can dig up... (BTW, I told her to stop doing that last week!)

Len, it is perfectly normal to sharpen while wearing a suit and tie. Take a deep breath and repeat, "I am okay with the Me." "I am okay with the Me."

Regarding the ABS tests, no. The knife has to cut two 2x4's and a piece of 1" free-hanging rope then be able to shave. No time limit - no rushing. Then about 3" of the tip (blade must be about 10") is clamped in a vise and bent 90 degrees and slowly released. If the blade breaks or cracks more than a third of the width (I think) then it fails. A journeyman smith tester uses forged steel. A mastersmith tester uses a hidden tang damascus blade. And, when I took my five knives + bent performance knife to Atlanta last year for the judging portion of the test, I was the only tester in the mastersmith room wearing a suit... and I won the BR Hughes award for my dagger... coincidence? hmmm :-)
-M