PDA

View Full Version : Ming Tsai's new knife

ChuckTheButcher
07-10-2013, 10:03 PM
Have you seen Ming's new knife. This is going in my collection for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkp7NzFy8EQ

ChuckTheButcher
07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Food doesn't stick at all. I'm gonna throw away my Burke's and Rader's. Don't know why I was wasting my money.

Crothcipt
07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
wow did you see how hard he was holding that ny strip? Why Ming, Why???? Resist the dark side.

wsfarrell
07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
The potato actually sparkled after being cut by the Aero Knife.

James
07-10-2013, 10:28 PM
Next step in evolution for the rhinochop

SpikeC
07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I thought that he only used ceramic knives???

bamin
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
I love how they purposely try to make the regular chef knife appear to cut like crap.

tk59
07-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I guess someone will have to show Ming that any knife can make slices thin enough to read a newspaper. So misleading...

bamin
07-10-2013, 10:55 PM
I guess someone will have to show Ming that any knife can make slices thin enough to read a newspaper. So misleading...

Haha and the grape slice on the newspaper is definitely not the one he was shown cutting.

ecchef
07-10-2013, 11:09 PM
"Wanna cut the cheese?" :stinker: Ohhh yeaah.

tripleq
07-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Now THAT'S complete Horse !@#$ !!!

ThEoRy
07-11-2013, 12:10 AM
Somebody shoot me in the ******* face if I ever pull this ****.

Meanwhile, I'ma call Chef Tony... I'll be right back.

GConcept999
07-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Hahaha, oh no, this YT clip is missing 36 seconds of awesome footage! See it on the Aeroknife website!

Ming slices a pineapple in half and is going to cut the price to $10, and sticks the knife on board. He's even going to throw in a Edge of Glory!! Priceless:thumbsup:

ThEoRy
07-11-2013, 12:50 AM
*** man ***...

Lucretia
07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Reminds me of this one...even chops a piece of wood with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abLB7aTmnE4

Crothcipt
07-11-2013, 01:11 AM
was it me or when ming was going for chopping wood, he was not using the edge.

eaglerock
07-11-2013, 01:27 AM
The poor guy is trying to make money with cheese knife.

apicius9
07-11-2013, 02:23 AM
That's kind of sad, I always respected Ming and thought he was a good guy. Does he need money that badly?

Stefan

ChuckTheButcher
07-11-2013, 02:29 AM
He is a decent chef. That's the scariest part. He was hacking the wood with the back of the knife and did you see how he cut the potatoe. Just mushing it straight down. It's really sad. People buy this crap.

Mrmnms
07-11-2013, 10:19 AM
"Slices an onion so fast you don't have time to cry!!"

hypnos
07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
He is laughing all the way to the bank. If I had attained the status of celebrity chef, I would endorse anything and everything for the right $$$. Just say'n.

Seth
07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm going to drill some 2 inch holes in my shig's and see if that helps.

keithsaltydog
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Simply Ming Bling Bling:cookegg:

bikehunter
07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
He is laughing all the way to the bank. If I had attained the status of celebrity chef, I would endorse anything and everything for the right $$$. Just say'n.

Yep. All these folks have to do is chitcan their integrity.

gic
07-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Still as silly as this knife probably is, could one even theoretically make a hollowed out gyuto that would be acceptable to use? Obviously, it would be tricky to get the geometry and structural stability working but is there some scientific reason why this kind of knife *must* be horrid?

Just curious - it's the ex teacher in me I guess....

Timthebeaver
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Still as silly as this knife probably is, could one even theoretically make a hollowed out gyuto that would be acceptable to use? Obviously, it would be tricky to get the geometry and structural stability working but is there some scientific reason why this kind of knife *must* be horrid?

No, it would be a total PITA to clean for starters. Just like that daft "yanagi" with holes drilled in it that's in the worst knife ever thread, or that ridiculous "Rhino Chop"

keithsaltydog
07-11-2013, 02:29 PM
How can you lose 2 knives only 10.00 + 7.95 shipping.It looks to be a hollow ground edge on cheap stainless that will dull fast, but no worry shrimp curry cus you also get the EDGE OF GLORY sharpener freeee!:bliss:

bkdc
07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
No, it would be a total PITA to clean for starters. Just like that daft "yanagi" with holes drilled in it that's in the worst knife ever thread, or that ridiculous "Rhino Chop"

Dude. What's so hard about cleaning it? Throw it in the dishwasher! DONE! :knife:

bkultra
07-11-2013, 03:27 PM

They already make one, good luck using a pinch grip...
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8332/hhmk.jpg

K-Fed
07-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Poor Ming has just joined the ranks of **Gasp** Robert Irvine, whom also endorsed the edge of glory and some other ****** knife that came with it. Money talks I suppose. Gonna poke a little fun, but we might see a custom re-handled Aero knife on that site to not be named with an extra $90 on the price tag ;x

Chefdog
07-11-2013, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=bkultra;224220]They already make one, good luck using a pinch grip...
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8332/hhmk.jpg[/]
W T F? Is that sh*t for real?????

bkultra
07-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Yes and it's $800+

http://www.amazon.com/Deglon-Meeting-Knife-Stainless-Knives/dp/B002JTWRDS

brainsausage
07-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes and it's $800+

http://www.amazon.com/Deglon-Meeting-Knife-Stainless-Knives/dp/B002JTWRDS

Check out the recently viewed items on that amazon page, really sums it up... (check out the reviews, the fibonacci reference is genius)

bkultra
07-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes there are a few very famous review items on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-Terminated-Speaker-Cable/dp/B000J36XR2

http://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-Milk-Gallon-128/dp/B00032G1S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373592366&sr=8-1&keywords=tuscan+whole+milk

Edit: working with computers for a living gives me to much free time to find sh&$ like this

brainsausage
07-11-2013, 09:36 PM
This is a new experience for me, feel free to inundate my PM with links, I love this type of interwebs shenanigans...

Zwiefel
07-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Yes there are a few very famous review items on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-Terminated-Speaker-Cable/dp/B000J36XR2

http://www.amazon.com/Tuscan-Whole-Milk-Gallon-128/dp/B00032G1S0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373592366&sr=8-1&keywords=tuscan+whole+milk

Edit: working with computers for a living gives me to much free time to find sh&$ like this

If that's where we're going....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

NOTE: graphic imagery....hilarious and graphic.

GlassEye
07-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Check out the recently viewed items on that amazon page, really sums it up... (check out the reviews, the fibonacci reference is genius)

The other viewed items is far better than any hilarious review one could make up.

GlassEye
07-11-2013, 09:49 PM
If that's where we're going....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK

NOTE: graphic imagery....hilarious and graphic.
I was trying to find that one.

brainsausage
07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Images-SI-Inc-Uranium-Ore/dp/B000796XXM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_gro_2

brainsausage
07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I found a sweeeeet deal on some vintage Tuscan milk.

brainsausage
07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Just got your PM BK, I never knew there was such an amazingly awesome sub culture on amazon. Makes me feel one with the world again...

GlassEye
07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I found a sweeeeet deal on some vintage Tuscan milk.

Need any unicorn meat?
http://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Canned-Unicorn-Meat/dp/B004CRYE2C/ref=pd_sim_indust_4

brainsausage
07-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks, but I got amped on Tuscan milk, and took a 'Corn down with my bare arm pits, after I cleaved dimensions with my nesting knives. I've got a unicorn leg in cure as we speak.

keithsaltydog
07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Need any unicorn meat?
http://www.amazon.com/ThinkGeek-Canned-Unicorn-Meat/dp/B004CRYE2C/ref=pd_sim_indust_4

That's a can of spam with a bogus lable,an expensive can at that.:hungry3: this tread is getting out of hand but deff. entertaining fr. the start

Chuckles
07-11-2013, 11:46 PM
I heart this thread. Got me giggling this morning over cereal and now again over beers.

:thankyou333:

Crothcipt
07-12-2013, 02:24 AM
um ya on the what others looked at I got

http://www.amazon.com/String-Panty-Animal-Print-Design/dp/B007WXLA98/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2
or even
http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Hookers-101-Prostitutes-Thailand/dp/1481852795/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1

and those are the ones I feel safe in posting.

Timthebeaver
07-12-2013, 04:47 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Barrettine-Methylated-Spirit-500ml/dp/B002ATI4VG

daveb
07-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Thread is hilarious. Hope Ming introduces new "knives" frequently.

keithsaltydog
07-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Thr reviews are priceless

Petals20
04-09-2014, 05:58 PM
These knives did not perform like the demo's Ming & HSN staff did on air. I bought a pair last year and rarely use them cause they're really dull. The demos Ming & HSN staff doing I'm pretty sure are set up with the knives professionally sharpened, there is no possible way it will it do what they're doing on air right now. :no:

But Ming is back again this year and because it's such a screaming deal this time you get 3 knives vs 2 for same price $19. And it's not so bad if you know how to sharpen these things. It is quite a novelty and it is rather unique with the holes to prevent sticking but that feature is useless if the knives are not in the least sharp.

But I thought you know... the price is really a screaming deal I'm going to buy several sets for Xmas presents & tell them they have to get them sharpened which is not too bad at your butcher or farmer's market. HSN is also offering his other items such as the bamboo cutting board with magnets to hold your knives, again I have to give the man some credit for coming up with cool neat features towards every day items we use constantly. :cheffry:

Erilyn75
04-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Omg this thread is hilarious!! :rofl2:

ThEoRy
04-09-2014, 08:08 PM
These knives did not perform like the demo's Ming & HSN staff did on air. I bought a pair last year and rarely use them cause they're really dull. The demos Ming & HSN staff doing I'm pretty sure are set up with the knives professionally sharpened, there is no possible way it will it do what they're doing on air right now. :no:

But Ming is back again this year and because it's such a screaming deal this time you get 3 knives vs 2 for same price $19. And it's not so bad if you know how to sharpen these things. It is quite a novelty and it is rather unique with the holes to prevent sticking but that feature is useless if the knives are not in the least sharp.

But I thought you know... the price is really a screaming deal I'm going to buy several sets for Xmas presents & tell them they have to get them sharpened which is not too bad at your butcher or farmer's market. HSN is also offering his other items such as the bamboo cutting board with magnets to hold your knives, again I have to give the man some credit for coming up with cool neat features towards every day items we use constantly. :cheffry:

No. Just don't do any of that. These are terrible and your friends and family will hate you for cursing them with these "knives". Tell ya what, why don't we find you a suitable knife for your needs? You will see the difference immediately and your life will be forever changed for the better.

Namaxy
04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Sad thing is I've hung out with Ming a few times and he's a good guy. Our kids played together. No easy way to look someone in the eye when you know, and they know, they shilled for the $$. I guess everyone has their own personal barometer.

Erilyn75
04-09-2014, 08:56 PM
The only chefs/cooks I've seen actually use the knives they put their names on or endorse is Ray Ray. I know Ming didn't use that knife in TCM unless it was on an episode I missed.

malexthekid
04-09-2014, 11:05 PM
The only chefs/cooks I've seen actually use the knives they put their names on or endorse is Ray Ray. I know Ming didn't use that knife in TCM unless it was on an episode I missed.

While completely off point... Heston Blumenthal also use the Tojiro knives he endorses. At least I have seen him using them in some of his shows. No idea what he uses in the kitchen when cameras aren't around though.

And why crucify the guy for making a bit of extra dollar. The people who buy these are always going to buy crummy infomercial stuff, and at $20, no real harm, you get 3 months use for them and they really have done their job.

And it takes a special person to get interested in proper good knives, so leave those that just want something that cuts, sort of alone. I have only just started (have 2 guytos) and I constantly get heckled by my wife for "wasting money on knives" or "you already have so many knives" when looking at more.

Erilyn75
04-09-2014, 11:32 PM
While completely off point... Heston Blumenthal also use the Tojiro knives he endorses. At least I have seen him using them in some of his shows. No idea what he uses in the kitchen when cameras aren't around though.

And why crucify the guy for making a bit of extra dollar. The people who buy these are always going to buy crummy infomercial stuff, and at $20, no real harm, you get 3 months use for them and they really have done their job.

And it takes a special person to get interested in proper good knives, so leave those that just want something that cuts, sort of alone. I have only just started (have 2 guytos) and I constantly get heckled by my wife for "wasting money on knives" or "you already have so many knives" when looking at more.

I believe in leading by example. If you're gonna endorse a product or put your name on it then shouldn't you use it? Or is it only good enough for the common folk?

My husband has expensive hobbies so he doesn't fuss at me for my knives. Honestly, I think he's just glad I'm not buying any more purses at the moment lol. Can't afford both habits ;)

Oh and welcome to KKF!!

Lizzardborn
04-10-2014, 04:36 AM

I will bite ... Because such things hurt everyone just a tiny bit. A classic tragedy of the commons.

First an environmental point - a good entry level guyto that can be used for 20 years is much more environmentally friendly than cheapish crap that will be thrown away and fill some dump. And lets not talk about the knives the bladesmiths here make that probably could last a generation or two. You create pollution when you create stuff and to create cheap stuff is as polluting as expensive one since the BoM is very similar.

There is also obesity epidemic worldwide. Bringing people back into the kitchen is probably one of the lowest hanging fruits out there to fight it - just removing the added sugar and salt from the processed food from the diet could have enormous benefits over the course of an year or two. Making prep work hard or unpleasant will not help that goal. And diabetes is expensive disease - so in a way it goes out of the social systems.

And so on and so on ... selling substandard, unusable stuff hurts the whole economic ecosystem.

panda
04-10-2014, 05:20 AM
if given a choice of 'selling out' with a nice compensation, i'm pretty sure all of you hating on this guy or any other endorser would NOT turn down such an offer. it's the public's own fault if they buy into crappy products just because of marketing. don't hate the players, hate the system.

malexthekid
04-10-2014, 05:23 AM
I will bite ... Because such things hurt everyone just a tiny bit. A classic tragedy of the commons.

First an environmental point - a good entry level guyto that can be used for 20 years is much more environmentally friendly than cheapish crap that will be thrown away and fill some dump. And lets not talk about the knives the bladesmiths here make that probably could last a generation or two. You create pollution when you create stuff and to create cheap stuff is as polluting as expensive one since the BoM is very similar.

There is also obesity epidemic worldwide. Bringing people back into the kitchen is probably one of the lowest hanging fruits out there to fight it - just removing the added sugar and salt from the processed food from the diet could have enormous benefits over the course of an year or two. Making prep work hard or unpleasant will not help that goal. And diabetes is expensive disease - so in a way it goes out of the social systems.

And so on and so on ... selling substandard, unusable stuff hurts the whole economic ecosystem.

Definitely bit more than I thought possible, and interesting points. You are drawing some long bows there, but valid ones. Never even bothered to consider about the sustainability aspect of purchasing top quality stuff, but it is quite valid.

As for the economic point, I reckon I could find 6 economists that would argue that continually buying cheap stuff is better for the economy where as I could find half a dozen economists that agree with your assertion.

But they are valid points, though I do say the strongest argument should be that if you endorse a product you should stand by and use it for the applications you say you should.

erikz
04-10-2014, 05:37 AM

Well, this is true, but Tojiro is about a gazillion times better quality and durable compared to the Ming Tsai crap.

How could MT endorse this kind of quality and pretend its good and durable stuff, whilst it is not? MT is endorsing a lie whilst HB is endorsing stuff which at least has some pro's to it.

malexthekid
04-10-2014, 05:50 AM
Well, this is true, but Tojiro is about a gazillion times better quality and durable compared to the Ming Tsai crap.

How could MT endorse this kind of quality and pretend its good and durable stuff, whilst it is not? MT is endorsing a lie whilst HB is endorsing stuff which at least has some pro's to it.

Yeah, the biggest thing I take fact with is that he essentially isn't being truthful, as you can see the different techniques he uses, like when cutting the potato, straight push cut with the chef's knife, while he starts with a slice when using his "knife".

Oh well.

erikz
04-10-2014, 06:05 AM
Yeah, the biggest thing I take fact with is that he essentially isn't being truthful, as you can see the different techniques he uses, like when cutting the potato, straight push cut with the chef's knife, while he starts with a slice when using his "knife".

Oh well.
+1, totally agree.

Ming Tsai is a sell out, whilst Heston is endorsing. Two different things :)

Ruso
04-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Oh My God! Now everybody who participate in an infomercial/commercial is a sell out. Come on people get real :-(

rami_m
04-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Oh My God! Now everybody who participate in an infomercial/commercial is a sell out. Come on people get real :-(

I think there is a difference between endorsing a product you would never use because of poor quality. And endorsing something that he would use if not on a regular basis then sometimes. Endorsing something means that you put your name and reputation to it ie. I thinks this is great. This is different to acting in a commercial.