PDA

View Full Version : Wax on? Wax off?

tripleq
07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Proud BoardSmith owner here. I'm wondering what the possible pitfalls are of using mineral oil minus the beeswax? Does the beeswax really provide better protection than a regular oiling?

bkultra
07-11-2013, 10:32 PM
The beeswax makes for a more durable finish. Using just mineral oil is fine

Dream Burls
07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
The beeswax makes for a more durable finish. Using just mineral oil is fine

+1 and the board will tell you when it needs more.

bkdc
07-11-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm a big fan of the beeswax..... until I ever want to resurface the board by sanding it, and the wax clogs up my sandpaper. :) Beeswax rocks but plain mineral oil will do the job just fine.

tripleq
07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm a big fan of the beeswax..... until I ever want to resurface the board by sanding it, and the wax clogs up my sandpaper. :) Beeswax rocks but plain mineral oil will do the job just fine.

That is exactly what I asked the question. Wax off it is. Thanks!!!!

The BoardSMITH
07-12-2013, 07:23 AM
All my boards first saok in a mineral oil bath and are allowed to drain for 12+ hours. Them the Board Butter is buffed in with a high speed buffer. Using only mineral oil is really all that is needed. The Board Butter is simply an additional top coat which provides for a little extra resistance to moisture and will fill in any knife marks.

The replies from the other posters are correct.

bamin
07-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I find that sometimes when I am finished oiling that the oil seeps back out from the board even though the board had previously absorbed everything. Does that mean I am putting to much oil?