PDA

View Full Version : recommendation for a new knife

Maestro
07-21-2013, 05:57 PM
Hello friends. I am looking to purchase a new knife. I start by the questions:

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in?
utility knife or petty or boning knife.

Are you right or left handed?
right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
no strong preference.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
6 inches would be ideal

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes, I have a carbon blade that discolored in no time despite my care.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200 including shipping taxes etc.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home use, but I do cook a lot of food at a time.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
breaking and unboning chicken, trimming meat, any job requiring a pointy edge. my only other real knife is a nakiri with no pointy edge.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
currently I do not own any knives to let me do this. I buy everything precut from the store.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
pull cut mainly

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

I want knife that is pointy and rather narrow (not tall) in contrast to my nakiri, so I can do precise cutting of meat and unboning chicken.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Yes, plastic board

Do you sharpen your own knives? Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Maybe, I already have 1k, 4k, 8k and jnat stones

Thank you for your help. I really need a pointy knife

ThEoRy
07-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Tojiro gokujo?

Maestro
07-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Tojiro gokujo?

Thank you looks like this one does fit the bill. how would you compare it against a similar German knife?

ThEoRy
07-21-2013, 06:10 PM
It's a stiff, no flex, no frills boning knife. Straight workhorse in vg10 stainless steel. Just be careful with that pointed curve, I know a few guys who poked themselves with it including me.

Maestro
07-21-2013, 06:15 PM
thank you very much. I will try to find one to buy.

EDIT: sadly I can not find a retailer for it.

Pensacola Tiger
07-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Since you are in Canada, take a look at what Knifewear offers. One knife which I can recommend (I own the gyuto) is the Haruyuki SRS15 150mm petty. At CAD$162.00 it's within your budget, and you won't be nicked for customs or excessive shipping charges. The Haruyuki line is also sold as the Akifusa, and you can read a review of the gyuto here:

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/akifusa/akifusag240.shtml

Here's a link to the Harayuki at Knifewear:

http://www.knifewear.com/knife-detail.asp?knife=15petty150&family=15

http://www.knifewear.com/img/knives4sale/knives/15petty150-med.jpg

Another knife to consider is the Masakage Yuki. It is a white steel (carbon) core clad in stainless, so it gives you the advantages of carbon, but without the staining. The spine has sharp edges out of the box, but the cladding is soft and a few minutes with some wet/dry will round it so it won't irritate your finger. I bought one of them and it compares favorably to one of Murray Carter's knives. The handle is nothing special, just a plain D-handle in ho wood with a reddish pakkawood ferrule, but it is comfortable. It's CAD$150.00.

http://www.knifewear.com/knife-detail.asp?knife=18petty150&family=18

http://www.knifewear.com/img/knives4sale/knives/18petty150-med.jpg

Maestro
07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Pensacola Tiger Thank you for your in depth and well thought out response. I just purchased a Harayuki knife. I am not happy about paying the money. hopefully I will be happy when I start using the knife.

Pensacola Tiger
07-21-2013, 07:38 PM
Pensacola Tiger Thank you for your in depth and well thought out response. I just purchased a Harayuki knife. I am not happy about paying the money. hopefully I will be happy when I start using the knife.

I think you will be quite pleased with the Harayuki. Please post and let us all know how you like it.

Rick

Maestro
07-21-2013, 08:47 PM
I think you will be quite pleased with the Harayuki. Please post and let us all know how you like it.

Rick

I will sure let you know!

Maestro
07-27-2013, 01:50 PM
the knife arrived, I used it yesterday. quite underwhelmed by the sharpness out of the box, but have not bothered to sharpen it myself yet. I think my next purchase will be a german knife.

bkultra
07-27-2013, 02:03 PM
Many japanese makers send their knives with intentionally dull edges to protect them when shipping. They assume the buyer will sharpen the knife to their preference once it is received. I'm not say this is the case with the one you received, just that it is not uncommon with many of the makers.

Brad Gibson
07-28-2013, 05:51 AM
I'm very surprised hearing that you want a German knife after using this. Please give us a full review!
I know there could still be people that like German knives out there, I just didn't know they existed on this forum. Lol

Seb
07-28-2013, 07:10 AM
Perhaps the future default rec to n00bz should be Fujiwara FKH or Gesshin Ginga or Ashi Hamono or Sakai Yusuke - all are decent or even Very Sharp OOTB!

JKerr
07-28-2013, 12:28 PM
If you haven't sharpened it yet and you're confident it's not for you, perhaps you can return/exchange it.

Out of interest, is the the "out of the box sharpness" you're not happy with or is it just the knife in general? I assume the latter seeing as you own a decent set of stones.

Cheers,
Josh

ThEoRy
07-29-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm not saying you purchased a bad knife, far from it. Just, my recommendation was based on your German affinity.

Maestro
07-29-2013, 01:18 AM
Dear friends, "dull" out of the box was an observation. I have not used the knife long enough to make a real statement about it.
I am sure it will take a decent edge once I take it to the hones.

The reason I said I will be buying a German knife is not to replace this one. I think this will be a fine knife for cutting cucumbers into thin strips or chopping garlic, shallots, herbs, trimming meat (not boning), dicing softer fruits, etc

I need a tough German knife that can be employed to crack open lobster, peel pineapple, cut up watermelon, butcher chicken (cut through rib bones and sever joints), without constantly being worried about the blade chipping.

This knife is an estimated 62-64 rockwell hardness and that makes for a brittle edge that is unsuitable for many of the tasks I face in the kitchen. for a boning knife I would have wanted a more flexy, tougher, less hard knife to allow me to scrape meat off the bone (frenching chicken legs)

JBroida
07-29-2013, 01:41 AM
that makes a lot of sense... there are other types of japanese knives that can do those things, but a forscher works too ;)

cclin
07-29-2013, 04:50 AM
I need a tough German knife that can be employed to crack open lobster, peel pineapple, cut up watermelon, butcher chicken (cut through rib bones and sever joints), without constantly being worried about the blade chipping.

This knife is an estimated 62-64 rockwell hardness and that makes for a brittle edge that is unsuitable for many of the tasks I face in the kitchen. for a boning knife I would have wanted a more flexy, tougher, less hard knife to allow me to scrape meat off the bone (frenching chicken legs)
sounds like jobs for Chinese cleaver!! not Japanese made Chinese cleaver but try looking for Taiwan or HK made all purpose Chinese cleaver with small tip.

ThEoRy
07-29-2013, 09:54 AM
(frenching chicken legs) Maybe a tojiro yo-deba for hack jobs and misono hankotsu for frenching tasks.

Maestro
07-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Thank you very much for the advice, but I think Wusthof will do.