PDA

View Full Version : Star Shaving Strops

keithsaltydog
08-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Someone on this forum turned me on to Star Shaving for cheap strops.I wanted to give people in my classes the strop option. I bought 5 strops at 10.00 each as opposed to 15.00 for one.Came in today cowhide on nicely sanded wood & 4 rubber like plastic feet.

Also picked up a bottle of Chromium Oxide semi paste & another of Diamond slurry.I have used Adams metal polish on my strops for yrs.I use goop to clean it up after much use.I have a big bottle that will probably last longer than I will.

MY question is this, I know alot of you have experience wt. Crom Oxide paste & Diamond Slurry. How much do you put on & do you rub it on wt. your fingers? Also how often do you load it & how often do you clean your strops?

Thanks Keith

joetbn
08-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I have Chromium Oxide paste on mine, I just put 4-5 drops about the size of a pea on the strop and kind of painted it on with a piece of cardboard until it was a uniform green color. I like the results, but if I over strop the edge gets too polished and looses bite. I have heard that diamond makes sharper cuts into the steel and therefore leaves a little more bite. I would like to try that, but I have so much CrO2 left and it works fine if I'm light with it. I only have to re-apply a couple drops every 2-3 months. I'm not sure how much diamond slurry to use or how to tell, as it is basically clear, right? All you diamond users out there please chime in.

deanb
08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
My favorite way to load a strop is to start with a few drops of the CrO2 paste and work it in with my fingertips. Then I put a few sprinkles of CrO2 powder on the strop and work that in with my fingertips. I think using your fingertips is the fastest and most efficient way to work both the paste and the powder into the strop. A little soap and your hands are clean.

I clean my strops with saddle soap a couple times a year when the shine starts to get spotty and then reload them.

chinacats
08-06-2013, 08:13 PM
I use 1 micron diamond in solution sprayed on felt until it looks evenly coated. The diamond Solution I have is black. When the felt loses it's color I re-apply. Seems to work well.

keithsaltydog
08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks I will start wt the Chro Oxide paste on the leather.The Diamond slurry I have is black,I have a felt pad I'll try diamond on that.

berko
08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
i ve never cleaned my strops. after a while i just sell it on ebay and build myself a new one. how do you clean yours?

keithsaltydog
08-08-2013, 12:58 AM
I learned this trick from Dave Martell-Blue Goop(do not get orange) waterless hand cleaner-good for cleaning leather strops it has glycerine & lanolin that not only clean the strop also condition the leather.Just rub it on & wipe it off couple times if leather has alot of buildup.Sometimes I go along while without cleaning,but it works wt. my Adams #2 polish.

ChuckTheButcher
08-08-2013, 01:06 AM
I use chromium oxide on leather and balsa and a few diamond compounds on felt and nano cloth. Spread it evenly and it will last months. Until it fades really. Ps I recomend felt strops not just to finish but in between different stones. They really work great.