PDA

View Full Version : Korin sharpening videos

perneto
08-08-2013, 03:27 AM
Hi, I just came across the Korin sharpening videos that they published earlier this year:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsSxXLQSZIe__A5THcrFGto9_PSkXWiN6

I noticed that they present a different technique than what Jon shows in his videos; in particular, they only sharpen one way on the stone, spine leading, and actually lift the blade off the stone going back.

Another difference, visible in the yanagiba video, is that they do uraoshi sharpening on every stone, and do it before sharpening the front bevel.
They also seem to be against hamaguri bevels on yanagiba - but that wasn't super clear.

What do you think?

keithsaltydog
08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Sharpening techniques vary.I was taught finger pad pressure on trailing stroke off return.If this was Chiharu Sugai his beginner's tip is to lift knife off the stone.I prefer even for new sharpeners not lifting off the stone as you have to reset your spine angle.Just more pressure as knife edge is in trailing movement.It is not 0/100.

Yanagi sharpening,maybe I should look at the youtube first to see what you are talking about.

keithsaltydog
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Well checked out the video.He is using a med. stone to establish a new edge.He also says that you need a polishing for yanagi & for touch ups.I think he is using an 8K Kitayama.Also he addresses press. on trailing stroke,some is lost in translation.You can cut with a Yanagi heavy use just touching up on a polishing stone with as he said light strokes.

Also uraoshi sharpening is with lite pressure ,too much flattening on the backside can ruin the geometry.He mentions this also in so many translated words.Jon's tech is different,however I beleave he cautions about over sharpening the backside as well.Sugai's tech is more like how I was taught many yrs. ago.It has served me well wt. Single Bevels.

Jon has learned many tech. fr. Japan.I have learned a few tricks fr. him.I don't want to split hairs(tho you can wt. the edges on a honed SB)with Yanagi sharpening.Looks like Chihar:hungry2:u Sugai has been enjoying his Sushi:sumo:

cheezit
08-08-2013, 06:08 PM
His revolving waterstone is super chattery and lopsided!

http://youtu.be/9zRNT1v0-7s?t=41s