PDA

View Full Version : Single Bevel Knives

jaybett
08-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I am getting curious about single bevel knives, sharpening and using them. I've been watching YouTube, to get sharpening tips. The first place to visit naturally is Jon's channel. I think I understand the different parts of sharpening, famous last words.

I'm under the impression, unless the knife is damaged, that the blade road, and edge is sharpened, with a medium grit stone. The Uraoshi sharpening is done with a fine grit stone.

The Aoto, throws me, does it get used after a medium grit stone to add haze or kasumi finish?

The Honbadzuke or opening of the knife, should that be left to a pro?

Jay

jklip13
08-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I find the Aoto stone to be a real enigma. I have found that the most important thing is to have ABSOLUTELY 100% flat and flawless finish from the synthetics before you move to the naturals. If there are any variations in the blade road when you go to naturals (and I mean any at all) they will show up as streaks and shinny or dull spots.
Good luck!

pkjames
08-17-2013, 08:50 PM
I am pretty new to Jnats, so I could be wrong, but my understanding is that, the Aoto is usually a medium to medium-fine grit stone, you can just do 1K, aoto, finishing stone.

also, there are different types of synthetics, and soft stones like the old King 1000 would be easier to produce an even finish compare to harder counterparts, such as a diamond plate.

TheDispossessed
08-17-2013, 09:28 PM
the best thing you can do is buy a decent single bevel knife, not too expensive but not crap either, ogle it for a while and then **** it up a little on your first sharpening session. it's gonna happen, and then you have a new sense of freedom and relaxation with your knife.
on this site, people get really really into aesthetics but if you go into any high end japanese kitchen you'll see single bevels worn into all manner of weird shapes and sizes. maybe a few years down the line it will be then worth investing in something really nice.