PDA

View Full Version : Towns where Japan's Greatest Swordsmiths are located?

Shimmer
05-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know which cities or towns in Japan feature the greatest contemporary Japanese blade/swordsmiths?

MadMel
05-30-2011, 01:00 AM
I heard it was Sakurai city. Not really sure though. Maybe Dr Naka can chip in here

JBroida
05-30-2011, 01:12 AM
I heard it was Sakurai city. Not really sure though. Maybe Dr Naka can chip in here

They are located all over the place

Bill Burke
05-31-2011, 11:26 PM
there are several in Tokyo. some of the oldest are in or near seki and others scattered all around. there's a book called modern Japanese swordsmiths that has most of them in it.

JBroida
05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
bill... no one forges in tokyo... they all have workshops outside of tokyo because of strict regulations

most tokyo-based forge in ibaragi (which has been severely effected by the earthquake/tsunami/reactor meltdown issue)

Bill Burke
06-01-2011, 02:29 AM
bill... no one forges in tokyo... they all have workshops outside of tokyo because of strict regulations

most tokyo-based forge in ibaragi (which has been severely effected by the earthquake/tsunami/reactor meltdown issue)

The only one I actually visited was Yoshindo Yoshihara, he has a smithy in his yard and a work shop above his garage were he does foundation polishing and has others making fittings. I guess that he could be in another city but it was all Tokyo to me. He also told us that he has a "farm" in the country.