PDA

View Full Version : Pasta sauce storage?

agp
08-20-2013, 12:35 PM
For those who make their own pasta sauce, be it marinara, alfredo, pesto, etc - how do you store the sauce for extended periods of time? Extended meaning 2-3 months. Do you freeze them?

WildBoar
08-20-2013, 12:50 PM
We can the cooked tomatoes, and they keep for many years, but once we make the actual tomato sauce we freeze it. We also freeze pesto; it freezes pretty well. Alfredo not so much -- it tends to not reheat well (separates easily); best to just make it as needed. Pesto can separate as well when reheated, so make sure it does not boil.

Baby Huey
08-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I can them (technically jarring) with mason jars. Takes a bit to explain the details, but there is plenty on the subject on YouTube. I also use it for my homemade hot sauce.

Mrmnms
08-20-2013, 12:53 PM
I freeze pesto without cheese. Leave a thin layer of oil on surface. Marinara freezes fine. Make Alfredo when you need it

agp
08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
How long is canned/jarred sauce good for if stored in the fridge?

Baby Huey
08-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Depends on how you do it as well as what you are using as a preservative.

brianlsx
08-20-2013, 01:13 PM
For me, i think vaccum packing and then freezing would be one of the best options. However why would you want to store for a period of time?

Mucho Bocho
08-20-2013, 01:47 PM
AGP, The most convient and easiest way to store/freeze liquids is to:

1.) Pour a measured amount into a Quart Zip lock Bag (must be Zip Lock), seal with as little trapped air in bag as possible. i use a chamber Vac, but I've had great success just carefully hand-ziping Zip locks for storage.
2.) Seal and arrange the bags flat on a baking sheet. Six to a layer but I wouldn't exceed three layer per baking sheet. Put in Freezer.
3.) When frozen, stack vertically like books on a shelf. Its really handy to use too with all your liquids in the same size bag, in the same area, frozen the same way.

Haven't found anything better.

I do stocks, sauces, graveys, reductions, soups that way. Can preserve in freezer for many months. Its a great way to use as little freezer space as possible.

MRMNS makes a great point about using olive oil to seal out the air. It also works as a free radical scavenger (anti-oxident)

Talim
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
If you grow your own vegetables then finding a way to store them for long periods of time is important.

eaglerock
08-20-2013, 03:01 PM
i make the marinara then freeze it, same with pesto :)

agp
08-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Seems like freezing is the most convenient way to go. Is there any advantage to freezing in a ziplock bag vs. in a mason jar? Or any jar?

clayton
08-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Jar can break due to expansion of liquid when frozen. Ziploc or other not "shatterable" container preferred.

Baby Huey
08-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Properly canned in Mason jars, they do not need to be refrigerated or frozen. One of the reasons I can is so I can allow more space in the freezer for items that need to be frozen. Have 3 fridges with freezers full and one almost full deep freeze. Being an outdoorsman, I usually keep them stocked with meat and fish.

eaglerock
08-20-2013, 06:14 PM
I know my freezer is very full of barriers and rhubarb and it is time to harvest basil for this summer pesto batch. i really need to buy a newdeep freezer !!

mkmk
08-20-2013, 10:29 PM
I freeze, too -- and now that I've got a deep freeze in the garage, I'll probably have it full within a few months....

Marinara keeps for a very long time. I also freeze blanched tomatoes and basil, but those start to get a bit mushy after six months or so. I don't freeze any sorts of cream sauces, though -- they'd likely break, and I consider those to be pan sauces that you build while cooking. No incentive to make in bulk, and lots of downsides.

Mingooch
08-20-2013, 11:09 PM
we freeze ours and enjoy it all year long.