PDA

View Full Version : CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge

CrisAnderson27
08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Hello everyone!

My name is Cris Anderson, and while I'm relatively new to the forums, I've been lurking here for about two months now. The information shared here, and the community in general are second to none, and I've quickly found it to be my chosen home on the internet. When I first came here my goal was to learn as much as I could, and share the results of that education (along with a few other things I might be able to toss in) with the forum as a whole. That never changed, but I quickly found out that there's a very firm structure in place for that sort of thing lol. It never even entered my mind not to purchase the Hobbyist Craftsman tag though (once I found out about it!), so here I am.

So, a little about me. I started making my first knife in September of 2008, from a rail spike. It ended up being little more than a shiny letter opener (not enough carbon in most rail spikes!)...but I knew I'd found something that was uniquely tailored to who I am, and immediately fell in love with bladesmithing. My initial tools were an old 2lb sledge I had laying round, a $10 Harbor Freight cast iron anvil I got off Craigslist, a small shop vac, 8 fire bricks, and a half dozen cinder blocks for my forge...and a handful of files. The little knife turned pretty ok if I do say so myself lol. Anyhow that was just the start. I kept on making knives for about six months...first another spike knife, this time HC!...then what started as an osaraku tanto, but ended up a shobu style o-tanto, and finally a 23" ko-katana. My steel choices went from the rail spikes, to some very interesting 1060 rail clips I found in a busted crate by the tracks (I've still got about 75 of them lol), and finally to 1075/1080 from Admiral Steel. At that point we moved, and it took a good while to setup my small shop again. I built a new propane forge from a paint can, and made a handful more blades...some more ambitious than others, and even tried my hand at a kitchen knife (which was the only blade I've really had crack in the quench lol...FIVE places no less!). I cut down the profile and heat treated it again (which it survived lol). The funny thing is...even though it was the thinnest blade I'd ever made to that point, by my current standards it was little better than a cleaver, lol. Anyhow, not long after we moved again, this time out of state. Another six months passed before I got things setup again, but when I did I ordered some W2 from Aldo, and instantly fell in love all over again. This steel did everything I could possibly want, and then some. I even quenched it in brine, lol. I forged out another handful of blades during this time...some of which I completed, then moved back to Arizona. Two years later, here I am. I just setup my shop again about two months ago, and made my first REAL kitchen knife. I'm hooked. So much so that I don't see myself making much else for the foreseeable future lol. As things stand I have forged exactly sixteen blades, one of which was a sword, and three of which I count as knives I'd be proud to have anyone use in a kitchen.

Oh, one other odd thing about me and the knives I make...is that every single solitary blade...has been clay hardened. For me...if it doesn't have a hamon, it's just not worth making :).

Anyway, I was told I could have one thread for the purpose of showing my finished work, so I guess this is as good a place as any! I'll refrain from posting work outside of kitchen knives so as to keep with the theme of the forum! I would ask that if ANY of you have any critique or comments, feel free...and don't hold back! I will never improve my ability to make (hopefully) professional quality kitchen knives, if I don't receive corrections and commentary from those of you that use these knives every single day. And honestly...that's my overall goal, to make the best knives I possibly can.

Thank you for looking and hopefully following along,

Cris Anderson

CrisAnderson27
08-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Pictures!!

ANY critique or commentary is very welcome! (I'll be giving you LOTS of information to base your commentary on lol).

First up is the first 'real' kitchen knives I'd ever attempted. A 200mm gyuto, and 150mm petty in Aldo Bruno's W2. I made them as a matching set for my dad for Father's Day.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/IMG_20130628_185224-1.jpg

And a closeup of the handles, Arizona desert ironwood and copper.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/IMG_20130628_122416.jpg

Not only were the kitchen knives my 'first', but the handles were too. They were actually my first ANYTHING made out of wood.

Dimensions on the knives are as follows.

Gyuto:
200mm long, 43mm tall at the heel.
Spine thickness is 2.35mm at the heel, 1.7mm mid blade, .55mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is .94mm at the heel, .89mm midblade, .50mm 1cm from the tip.
The thing is very light (144oz), but the balance point remains right at the ferrule. Its relatively flexible, but I've had no problems cutting spaghetti squash with it. In all honesty, I like this one better than the second gyuto I made, though I think this one might be a bit fragile in a pro kitchen. It cuts like mad, but I'm not sure how durable the edge would be in professional use. At home it's seriously a joy.

Petty:
150mm long, 30mm tall at the heel.
Spine thickness is 2.49mm at the heel, 1.9mm midblade, and .65mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is 1.13mm at the heel, 1.10mm midblade, and .65mm 1cm from the tip.
Weight is 89g, and it is of course handle heavy. I designed it to be a good, relatively stiff general use blade.

Again, any critique or commentary is more than welcome. It would actually be very much appreciated. I've been studying all overt the internet for months now, soaking up all the information I can in regards to these kinds of knives. Any information I can gain from you all would help me a long way towards improving my work!

CrisAnderson27
08-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Next up we have a 225mm gyuto I made for a very close friend of mine in Canada. She's a photographer, graphic artist, painter, tattoo model, and does some really varied types of catering. She's also rather...outgoing, to say the least. At the same time, she's one of the most classy women I've ever met. I felt her knife should reflect both traits.

So...the pictures!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_123947.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_124237a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_124301a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_124412a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_124525a.jpg

And a couple so you can see more how I setup the dimensions on the handle.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_123706a.jpg
This is from the top.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130805_123721a.jpg
And this from the side.

Overall stats:
Weight - 173g
Balance right at the ferrule (its a tad handle heavy in my opinion...the blade came out a good bit lighter than I expected for various reasons)
Edge length - 225mm (8.5")
Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 115mm (4.5")
Overall length - 365mm (14.4")
Height at heel - 40mm (1.57")
Height at midblade - 33.5mm (1.34")
Height 5cm from tip - 19mm (.75")
This blade was originally intended to be 230mm. I'd never quenched with oil (Parks 50 in this case...previously I'd always used brine), and so I wasn't prepared for the rather massive downturn in the blade post quench. I'd of course read about it, but seeing how drastic it was caught me off guard. I ended up having to shorten the blade by half an inch in order to get my edge profile back where I wanted it. I also ended up taking nearly a quarter inch off the heel to spine width in order to get the edge flat from heel to belly as well. This will be taken into consideration on the next one.

Blade: W1 drill rod.
Spine thickness is 2.35mm above the heel, 2.27mm midblade, and .50mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is 1.14mm above the heel, 1.10mm midblade, and .5mm 1cm from the tip.
The blade seems to cut well. My previous attempt in W2 above cuts better, but is much thinner and more flexible. This doesn't bother me personally, but I was advised that a stiffer blade would be better in a professional kitchen. If this knife were being made for my own use, I'd have thinned it out a bit more behind the edge (from 50mm to 150mm above the edge in particular). As it is, I can't wait to get the feedback on it...as it's going to be in use in a pro kitchen for a week (It actually ended up being over two lol...this one went to Son for critique!) before going out to the end recipient.

Handle: Stabilized cottonwood burl, African wenge, and brass (special thanks to Craig Stevens for the burl).
Length - 120mm (4.73")
Ferrule, width x height - 19.2mm x 22.8mm (.76"x..90")
Butt, width x height - 25.73mm x 25.92mm (1.013"x1.020")
I'm pretty happy with the handle. The young lady who is receiving it has smallish hands, thus the intentional shorter length. I considered thinning it out a little for balance, but to be honest...she seems very happy with the dimensions as/is. We discussed the handle size on her current favorite knife...and I figured this would work out well for her.

Zwiefel
08-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Nice intro, beautiful blades and handles!

CrisAnderson27
08-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Now...I don't think I'm allowed to post WIP knives here, but since the blade is technically finished, I hope I'm not breaking any rules :). I just wanted to give you guys a sneak peek at the blade I'm working on now. It's a 325mm suji in Aldo's W2. I'll post up a profile and choil shot...then give you guys the rest of the stats once I finish the handle work.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130824_112216.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130824_112443.jpg

Every time I see it it puts me in mind of a mako shark, lol.

Fun stuff :D!

sachem allison
08-27-2013, 04:48 PM
They really are. you guys will love these, they are unique and great cutters. I was fortunate enough to meet Cris on Don Fogg's forum and contacted him about his knives there and a few weeks later he popped on here. I hope you guys welcome him with open arms. He has a lot contribute and is willing to share what he knows.
Welcome, Cris!

CrisAnderson27
08-27-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks zwiefel and Son! I really have come to love this forum already, and hang out here waaaay too often lol. If I can give back anything in return, I'm more than happy to!

Pensacola Tiger
08-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Nice looking knives, Cris. Welcome to KKF. I really like that suji!

Rick

Mingooch
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
nice looking knives

turbochef422
08-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Welcome you made some nice stuff. Love the suji

Von blewitt
08-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Cool knives! Those elongated choils look really slick!

dough
08-27-2013, 10:04 PM
welcome
lovely hamon and sleek profiles look like they make for great slicers.

Lefty
08-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Really nice stuff, Cris.

So, umm, I'm Canadian, and stuff....

cclin
08-27-2013, 10:26 PM
very impress looking knives! welcome!

ChuckTheButcher
08-27-2013, 10:33 PM
Great looking stuff. I really like your handles. Damn impressive for the first wood working you've ever done.

Brad Gibson
08-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Great work! Glad that you could be a part of this community here. I've learned so much from these guys and I am very thankful to be here myself.

I love the style of your knives and can't wait to use one! Keep it up Cris!!

don
08-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Really nicely done, Cris. Please do share more of your work, it's great to see.

Benuser
08-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Son posted one of these days a pic of some crazy narrow gyuto-hiki you've made. Welcome, Cris!

HHH Knives
08-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Great looking cutters Cris. Thanks for sharing.

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and compliments! I'm really glad to be here and finally be able to post up my work for you guys. My hope is to one day be considered a professional craftsman in this field, and hopefully have at least a few knives making some of you guys daily work at least a bit easier than it might be otherwise.

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Son posted one of these days a pic of some crazy narrow gyuto-hiki you've made. Welcome, Cris!

I think that was my avatar picture lol...the second one I posted pictures of. And yeah its crazy short on the heel lol, even the suji is a couple millimeters taller :).

Notaskinnychef
08-28-2013, 01:18 AM
really nice stuff. Good work. I too, am Canadian, and out going....and.....anyways I will take a knife whenever works for you :)

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Great work! Glad that you could be a part of this community here. I've learned so much from these guys and I am very thankful to be here myself.

I love the style of your knives and can't wait to use one! Keep it up Cris!!

Thanks Brad, lol. Your comments on Instagram were what got me started on the suji anyhow lol...you bet you'll be able to give it a spin :).

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Great looking stuff. I really like your handles. Damn impressive for the first wood working you've ever done.

Thanks Chuck!! I think maybe I just got lucky lol, plus after working metal...wood is just a dream to shape. Most of the same principles apply surprisingly enough :).

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Really nice stuff, Cris.

So, umm, I'm Canadian, and stuff....

really nice stuff. Good work. I too, am Canadian, and out going....and.....anyways I will take a knife whenever works for you :)

I'm sure you gentlemen are great guys, but unless either of you has a friendly sister, cousin, friend...mom?...that compares with this:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/Jae.jpg

I'm gonna have to stick with her getting the knife, lol.

Honestly though...Jae and I've been pretty close for a long time. She's has top notch character, and more importantly respects quality tools that help her with her various jobs and hobbies. I was surprised and...honestly, honored when she asked me to make her a kitchen knife.

You may end up with it in your hands eventually though Tom...she's going to need a saya to match that blinging purple handle lol. Although I suppose you could always go the safe route with the wenge and a dyed sandwich piece =p.

ETA ~ By the way Notaskinnychef...she lives in Victoria as well lol...right on the waterfront if I recall :).

ThEoRy
08-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Word. Some nice looking tools there.

Don Nguyen
08-28-2013, 02:08 AM
About time you crazy fool!

Now I'll have to see the new handle on that beastly suji.

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 02:42 AM
About time you crazy fool!

Now I'll have to see the new handle on that beastly suji.

Its in glue up as we speak lol. The wood DID end up being more brown than grey.../sigh! But I think it'll work out ok in the end :).

chinacats
08-28-2013, 03:02 AM
Awesome, you'll have to start a passaround with one of your gyuto's.

Welcome and Cheers!

greasedbullet
08-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Those look Awesome. I can't wait to see more.

Sam Cro
08-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Welcome Cris,

over the time that I have Chatted with you it is one Friendship I do Cherish and I have always enjoyed your work and abilities to build and make Knives . I may have to get the "Tag" myself if things work out in the near future .

Sam

Justin0505
08-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Hey Cris, I'm glad to see that you're "official" now. Welcome!
It's been good seeing you around these parts the past few weeks and you've some good info added to a few threads, esp the "honyaki (re)finish" one.. now I know why.
Looks like you're off to a hell of a start. That "big mako" suji is a stunner.
Soooo yeah, where's that pass-around signup? (for when you get bored making knives for all the beautiful-tattoo-model-pro-catering-kitchen-knife-geek women)

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Welcome Cris,

over the time that I have Chatted with you it is one Friendship I do Cherish and I have always enjoyed your work and abilities to build and make Knives . I may have to get the "Tag" myself if things work out in the near future .

Sam

Thanks Sam! You absolutely should! I definitely appreciate your friendship and advice as well :).

Hey Cris, I'm glad to see that you're "official" now. Welcome!
It's been good seeing you around these parts the past few weeks and you've some good info added to a few threads, esp the "honyaki (re)finish" one.. now I know why.
Looks like you're off to a hell of a start. That "big mako" suji is a stunner.
Soooo yeah, where's that pass-around signup? (for when you get bored making knives for all the beautiful-tattoo-model-pro-catering-kitchen-knife-geek women)

Thanks Justin :). It's kind of funny, I love making knives...all kinds. But the kitchen knives really do it for me. When I first started it was Japanese swords. I forged my first katana within a handful of blades. The level of precision and sense of aesthetics required to make a exceptionally functional katana that is also visually balanced and pleasing to the eye is crazy. Kitchen knives are EXACTLY the same in so many ways, only...instead of taking me two months to finish one, it only takes me two weeks :). What's not to love about that??

:)

As for a passaround, well...if I knew many more women like Jae (your description nailed her btw lol), you guys would probably never see a knife! Since I don't however...I'm hoping to put something in the works by next month. I had planned for something sooner (and had started beating one out of 1" W1 drill rod lol), but Son derailed me yesterday with a cool little friction folder project. So as soon as the handle for 'Mako' is finished (hopefully today), it'll be on to Son's folder, then I can finish beating out a gyuto for a passaround.

What do you guys think? 225mm? 45-50mm on the heel? Laser or workhorse...or something in between like the one I sent Son?

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Suji handle is finished...here's a sneak peak!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/20130828_150917a.jpg

Later this evening once the sun starts to go down I'll try to get some better overall pictures to post :).

Don Nguyen
08-28-2013, 08:24 PM
I got your text earlier, but I was waiting to see them on a bigger screen :)

Beautiful, man. Hows the horn?

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 08:32 PM
I got your text earlier, but I was waiting to see them on a bigger screen :)

Beautiful, man. Hows the horn?

Thanks man :).

The horn wasn't bad...stunk a little bit, and burned if I let the belt get dull...but other than that it was all good.

I just snapped a couple more pictures...going to upload them now and see how they turned out :).

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 09:21 PM
The suji is finished :).

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130828_173106.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130828_173041.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130828_173723.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130828_173745.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130828_173758.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/330mm%20Sujihiki/20130828_173854.jpg

Overall stats:
Weight - 239g
Balance right at the maker's mark. I honestly thought this one was going to end up a little handle heavy, and require some serious and creative adjustment.
Edge length - 323mm (12.7")
Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 140mm (5.5"), but the upsweep from there is VERY gentle. What I did was watched hundreds of people cutting with suji on YouTube lol, and adjusted the curve of the belly to suit.
Overall length - 500mm (19.7")
Height at heel - 41mm (1.61")
Height at midblade - 33.8mm (1.33")
Height 5cm from tip - 21mm (.82")
This blade was a lot of fun to make. If you've read the thread you know its the longest kitchen knife I've ever made lol. There was a couple times I thought it might not make it...but it managed to pull through :). Overall I'm very pleased with it. I feel this knife represents my goals with these knives, and hopefully upholds not only my aesthetic standards, but also my performance standards.

Blade: Aldo Bruno W2 (old stock).
Spine thickness is 2.41mm above the heel, 1.96mm midblade, 1.47 5cm from the tip, and 1mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is 1.21mm above the heel, 1.25mm midblade, 1.17 5cm from the tip, and 1mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 2cm above the edge is 2.03mm above the heel, 1.84mm midblade, and 1.45 5cm from the tip.
The blade seems to cut very well. It went through stacked skirt steak (for fajitas!) like nobodies business. The other things I've cut with it probably weren't a good judge of its intended purpose...but it handled general cooking tasks with ease.

Handle: Stabilized box elder burl, water buffalo horn, and nickel silver.
Length - 146mm (5.74")
Ferrule, width x height - 20.1mm x 20.08mm (.79"x.79")
Butt, width x height - 23.14mm x 23.99mm (.91"x.91")
I'm very happy with the handle. About the only thing I'd change is the color of the wood portion...as the piece I ordered looked grey in the pictures, lol. The idea was a pure monotone, but it came out so well that I decided to keep it :).

So there we are folks, my first suji! Please feel free to critique. If there's anything you prefer (I understand much of that is subjective...but I'm still interested in opinions!) in a knife, or would change if the knife were for you...I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for looking!

Zwiefel
08-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I'll give you $100 for it! Cash. Right now. :)

Seriously, excellent work...something fresh and characterful.

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 09:30 PM
I'll give you $100 for it! Cash. Right now. :)

Seriously, excellent work...something fresh and characterful.

That's soooooo tempting =p.

Thank you though, lol. I've never had anything I've made called characterful before lol. I like it!

Lefty
08-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Your work looks really good, Cris! It reminds me of a guy we haven't heard from in a while...anywho, you're doing good things.

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Your work looks really good, Cris! It reminds me of a guy we haven't heard from in a while...anywho, you're doing good things.

It does?? Who's that lol? And thank you!

Don Nguyen
08-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Reminds me somewhat of Heath's knives on this forum. Pretty similar profile styles and a wide long choil too.

CrisAnderson27
08-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Reminds me somewhat of Heath's knives on this forum. Pretty similar profile styles and a wide long choil too.

Ahh, Heath Besch? I just went and looked to see if he had a subforum (then of course had to glance through it lol). That gyuto-hiki he and Tom put together could be a ringer for my suji visually, if it didn't have the k-tip. Funny though...this suji, the last gyuto, and the gyuto and petty set before that all were inspired by the same drawing that I made my first kitchen knife from like four plus years ago...lol (you can actually see it in my youtube video lol...am I allowed to post that here??). The visual differences came from different quenching medium (brine vs. oil). Brine causes the blade to curve upwards, while oil causes it to turn down. This suji is the closest to the original drawing of the lot :).

Looks like Heath and I share a very limited shop in common as well lol, although I've got to say I'm still kind of jealous of his =p. Mine's HORRIBLE lol.

ar11
09-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Cris your work looks great! I love that suji.. not sure about the wide choil - but I guess I'd have to have one in hand to see how it felt.

CrisAnderson27
09-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Cris your work looks great! I love that suji.. not sure about the wide choil - but I guess I'd have to have one in hand to see how it felt.

Thanks! I'm partial to the suji as well lol :).

On the choil...in using them myself (I'm a home cook)...it seems ok. Comfortable in a pinch grip with a nice radiused area for your middle finger. Son used the gyuto in my avatar for a hard week of prep, and seemed ok with it. I don't know if it was just something easy for him to adapt to, or if it was just completely a non issue though.

After I finish this friction folder I'm making for Son, I'll be doing a gyuto for him. I'm hoping to do a passaround with the same geometry at the same time. They'll both be 240mm or so on the edge, with a more traditional 50mm heel height. Geometry should be somewhere between a workhorse and laser. 2.5-3mm over the heel, no more than 2mm midblade...probably less, tapering sharply to the tip. Edge profile will be flattish, with a nice sweet spot both towards the tip, and on the heel.

I'll let you guys know when I get started :).

Lefty
09-02-2013, 04:52 AM
Cris, I bet they're going to turn out great! If I were just making my first few chef knives, I'd locate a Zwilling Kramer to display what a perfect taper is all about (not that yours aren't, but these are...in my opinion). They also have a nice workable flat spot that I enjoy, but many feel is too long and makes the knife feel like two knives in one. Tip location is high, but again, with that distal taper, man is it nice to use!

Another few knives I'd get my hands on are a DT ITK, for wa handle geometry/size, a Rodrigue to display what materials can be used to produce a knife that feels great all around, and a lowly Misono Dragon so you can get a feel of what a nice, natural 240 gyuto feels like, in hand. Actually, I'd be willing to lend you mine...maybe. Haha.

cheflarge
09-02-2013, 09:46 AM
WOW!!! Simply beautiful knives. Which I was your dad or caterer. :doublethumbsup:

CrisAnderson27
09-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Cris, I bet they're going to turn out great! If I were just making my first few chef knives, I'd locate a Zwilling Kramer to display what a perfect taper is all about (not that yours aren't, but these are...in my opinion). They also have a nice workable flat spot that I enjoy, but many feel is too long and makes the knife feel like two knives in one. Tip location is high, but again, with that distal taper, man is it nice to use!

Another few knives I'd get my hands on are a DT ITK, for wa handle geometry/size, a Rodrigue to display what materials can be used to produce a knife that feels great all around, and a lowly Misono Dragon so you can get a feel of what a nice, natural 240 gyuto feels like, in hand. Actually, I'd be willing to lend you mine...maybe. Haha.

Thanks Tom! I've been in the slow process of getting my hands on some nice knives. So far I've handled one of Don Nguyen's, one from Mike Davis, and Son's prized Forgecraft with a buckeye burl mhenry handle. All were incredibly different from each other!...and incredibly different than mine as well, lol. The Forgecraft seems to be closest to how mine feel in cutting (to me).

As soon as I can, I'm hoping to take a bike ride up to see Devin. Maybe I can learn a thing or two about a thing or two while I'm there...lol :).

Oh, and I'll definitely look into checking out a Misono Dragon. Any negatives to it I should know about beforehand?

WOW!!! Simply beautiful knives. Which I was your dad or caterer. :doublethumbsup:

Thanks!! You wouldn't happen to be a 5'2" tall female tattoo model, would you?

:doublethumbsup:

CrisAnderson27
09-04-2013, 01:46 AM
Well, I wasn't intending to post anything but kitchen knives here...but since its for one of our own, I figured I may as well.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/PhotoGrid_1378266928847a.jpg

My first folding knife. An antiqued (very!) friction folder for Son (Sachem Allison) :). Thanks for pushing me to make this one buddy. It was fun!

sachem allison
09-04-2013, 01:56 AM
actually, i do plan to use it in the kitchen. carving wooden spoons and using it for boxes and everything else. my new edc.

dough
09-04-2013, 10:41 PM
i like that knife a lot. very unique

CrisAnderson27
09-04-2013, 10:52 PM
i like that knife a lot. very unique

The friction folder? Thanks!! It was sort of a new thing for me, lol. I'm glad it turned out the way I intended!

Here's a better/clearer collage of it.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/PhotoGrid_1378312928902.jpg

sachem allison
09-05-2013, 12:25 AM
I contacted Cris on Don Fogg's forum and have been working with him on this project and trying my best to answer some questions based on my experience and this is what Cris came up with. Not bad for his first time.lol Good work Cris and Thank you.

CrisAnderson27
09-05-2013, 12:31 AM
I contacted Cris on Don Fogg's forum and have been working with him on this project and trying my best to answer some questions based on my experience and this is what Cris came up with. Not bad for his first time.lol Good work Cris and Thank you.

Any time Son!! Glad I could be there to make it for you!

And I beat your deadline by a week!!

cheflarge
09-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Welllllllll...... I'm not 5' 2" tall, not nearlly that beautiful, however, I do have a boat load of tattoos! :biggrin:

CrisAnderson27
09-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Sneak peek for you all. But first I have to ask........what goes well together?

Why, mizu honyaki and burl of course!!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130907_215016_1.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130907_171130.jpg

Special thanks to Myron and Stefan for the stabilized buckeye burl :D.

Brad Gibson
09-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Nice Cris!

CrisAnderson27
09-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Repolish and rehandle of the W1 gyuto-hiki from the first page:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130908_143320.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130908_143350.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130908_143518.jpg

Once I get the blade mounted semi permanently (if you look closely the machi isn't tight...that's because the blade is loose in the handle and slips out a bit)...this may end up being my first passaround. I'll have to see what comes up.

Thanks again to Myron and Stefan for the beautiful burl...hopefully I did it justice :).

Baby Huey
09-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Would love to get in on it if that is the passaround. That would be similar to the one we discussed.

Don Nguyen
09-08-2013, 07:36 PM
That's a beautiful finish Cris. That subtle, wispy hamon is incredibly pleasing to the eye.

CrisAnderson27
09-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Would love to get in on it if that is the passaround. That would be similar to the one we discussed.

Absolutely! Yours is the first name I thought of when I started considering passing this one instead of making a new one for a passaround lol.

That's a beautiful finish Cris. That subtle, wispy hamon is incredibly pleasing to the eye.

Thanks Don! In hand its ultra visible, but still silvery and wispy. I need to try to set up a dark 'blind' for the blade to reflect in pictures. The hamon will pop plain as day with a dark reflection.

Brad Gibson
09-09-2013, 02:31 AM
I love the rounded butt on the handle. I haven't seen anyone else do that and it looks awesome! Nice work!

CrisAnderson27
09-09-2013, 02:58 AM
I love the rounded butt on the handle. I haven't seen anyone else do that and it looks awesome! Nice work!

Sharp eye!!...and thanks man! Its barely visible in these pictures. I've got to say it looks better in person though, lol.

Don Nguyen
09-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Ooooh yeah, just noticed it now. I love me some round and curvy butts.

CrisAnderson27
09-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Ooooh yeah, just noticed it now. I love me some round and curvy butts.

Lol!

CrisAnderson27
09-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Here's a picture that shows the butt a little better:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/9%20Inch%20W1%20Chefs%20WIP/20130909_070833_1.jpg

cheflarge
09-09-2013, 04:17 PM
I would absolutely love to be in if this knife makes it to pass around.

Brad Gibson
09-11-2013, 01:08 AM
That handle is sexy.

CrisAnderson27
09-11-2013, 01:25 AM
That handle is sexy.

Thanks brother! I really am proud to say that it looks MUCH better in person. Like ultra high contrast almost (in the figure of the burl). The pictures don't do it justice.

Brad Gibson
09-11-2013, 03:55 AM
i got a nice cocobolo handle on my takeda that has just turned pretty dark brown and i cant see the figure on anymore. i am really into these lighter colored burls. they are so pleasing to look at.

CrisAnderson27
09-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Diamond in the rough!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130915_230144.jpg

I think I'm only supposed to post finished knives here...but I get so excited as they come together that I feel like I've just got to share, lol. Call it a 'sneak peek! :)

Brad Gibson
09-16-2013, 03:00 AM
sweet pattern on the hamon!

CrisAnderson27
09-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks Brad. This ones 50mm on the heel...gave me lots of room to play with the pattern lol.

bear1889
09-16-2013, 08:19 PM
What's the length? It looks great btw really great.

CrisAnderson27
09-16-2013, 09:10 PM
What's the length? It looks great btw really great.

Thank you! This one's 210....the next few I have coming up are 240's

bear1889
09-16-2013, 10:37 PM
A 210 you're breaking my heart here......I've been looking for a 210 or smaller.

CrisAnderson27
09-16-2013, 10:42 PM
A 210 you're breaking my heart here......I've been looking for a 210 or smaller.

I like 210's myself as well. I mean a good 240 or so is nice to have around...but here at home I just find myself reaching for one of my 210's most often. Short cutting board is part of it I'm sure lol.

CrisAnderson27
09-20-2013, 11:06 PM
Most recent completed handle. Yellow dyed and stabilized buckeye burl with horn and nickel silver.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/PhotoGrid_1379732081259_1a.jpg

I'll post pictures of the completed knife when I'm done with polishing.

CrisAnderson27
09-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Well, I finished the polish, and refreshed the edge. Here's a sneak peek...I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow :).

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130920_221451.jpg

Don Nguyen
09-21-2013, 08:35 AM
That hamon looks killer all polished up Cris.

Lefty
09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Looks great, Cris!

CrisAnderson27
09-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks you two! I'm going to be epoxying the handle today, and shipping it out on Monday.

I've got to say I'm having a hard time letting this one go lol.

chinacats
09-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Cris, this looks very nice and I'm looking forward to getting to try one of your knives.

CrisAnderson27
09-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Cris, this looks very nice and I'm looking forward to getting to try one of your knives.

Thanks Chinacats!! I just posted a passaround thread (which has to be approved by the mods). Hopefully it posts soon and I can get to making the knife!

CrisAnderson27
09-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Ok, the passaround thread is located here (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/14552-KKF-Passaround(s)). Please, if you're interested in participating...let me know in that thread what you'd like to try out. I haven't made the knife yet...and would like to make something that the majority would be interested in trying. I'm also looking at sending the gyuto-hiki along with it as a comparison of profiles.

Thanks guys!

CrisAnderson27
09-21-2013, 10:08 PM
210mm gyuto.

Overall stats:
Weight - 186g
Balance is about 3cm forward of the ferrule.
Edge length - 215mm (8.5")
Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 115mm (4.5")
Overall length - 395mm (15.5")
Height at heel - 48mm (1.9")
Height at midblade - 33.5mm (1.34")
Height 5cm from tip - 27mm (1")
So far, this is my favorite of the knives I've made. The design and execution pretty much went flawlessly.

Blade: W2 from Aldo Bruno.
Spine thickness is 2.16mm above the heel, 2.02mm midblade, and .58mm 1cm from the tip.
Widest part of the blade is about 1cm below the spine. Thickness there is 2.31mm over the heel, 2.11 midblade, and 1.40 5cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is .94mm above the heel, .98mm midblade, and .58mm 1cm from the tip.
I'm pretty happy with this blade overall. Its my first 'tall' blade at 50mm on the heel, and cuts as well as anything I've handled. This blade is very stiff for the thickness due to the overall geometry I designed in. The food release, at least in the cutting I did before finalizing the edge...was ok. I wouldn't call it great by any means. I'm looking forward to feedback from the new owner in order to determine whether improvements are necessary. Things like food release can be pretty subjective.

Handle: Stabilized buckeye burl, water buffalo horn, and and nickel silver.
Length - 142mm (4.73")
Ferrule, width x height - 19.2mm x 20.8mm
Butt, width x height - 23.5mm x 24.2mm (1.013"x1.020")
This is my 5th handle, and I'm happy to say my process is working out pretty well in my opinion. I tend to prefer my handles to be longer aesthetically, and its a constant fight with balance for me lol. This one could probably stand to be a half inch shorter, which would shift the balance point at least another half inch forward, maybe more.

And now for some pictures:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130921_173015a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130921_173035a.jpg
Weird color shift here. For the record the actual color is somewhere in between.

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130921_173121a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130921_173132a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130921_173258a.jpg

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m587/CrisAnderson27/Bladesmithing/My%20Kitchen%20Knives/Aj%20Huff%20210mm%20Gyuto/20130921_173356a.jpg

Please feel free to post your comments and critique!

sachem allison
09-21-2013, 11:36 PM
Very nice, brother!

Benuser
09-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Very interesting to see the blade first getting thicker from the spine on before tapering. In Germany that was not uncommon, it's called Kesselscher Walkschliff, but isn't used that much anymore.

CrisAnderson27
09-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Very interesting to see the blade first getting thicker from the spine on before tapering. In Germany that was not uncommon, it's called Kesselscher Walkschliff, but isn't used that much anymore.

I do this for a very specific purpose :D. The idea came from my experience making Japanese swords though.

stereo.pete
09-22-2013, 11:25 AM
Cris, you keep on getting better and better, very nice!