PDA

View Full Version : HHH Knives HAMMER IN! 3rd Annual

HHH Knives
09-04-2013, 09:43 PM
I would like to invite my friends and fellow knife makers from Michigan and surrounding areas to our HHH Hammer in. :doublethumbsup:

DATES: October 5th and 6th

We will be starting Saturday October 5th at about 9:30 AM and we will run late into the night Saturday. Then start again Sunday morning around 10:00 am. Working until approx 6:30 pm Sunday, or until we are all good and dirty and ready to call it a day! Whichever comes first. :biggrin:

This is our 3rd year doing the Hammer In. Its always BIG fun and we get to meet new friends. and share in the passion of this crazy thing we call knife making!! As well as eat way to much good food. This year Im thinking PIG ROAST!!!! As long as I know we will have enough people attending to help eat that delectable little pork chop!!

Last year we had a great time and forged feather damascus billets, a few integral blades were hammered out. As well as a bunch of other cool stuff! From blade grinding demo's to heat treating and handle making. Its was alot of fun.. For me the highlight of the weekend was the making of a LARGE and awesome Chopper. Starting from raw materials to finish knife. Then we tested it thoroughly. Chopping down small trees. and cutting 2X4's etc.

This year is sure to be a BLAST! Not having a "plan" is always half the fun.

Anyone interested in joining us this year. Message me for more info. and details. Post on this thread to help keep it visible to all KKF members. Your welcome to set up camp at my place or there is a hotel approx 30 miles down the road if you prefer.. Between Randy Jr's and myself we also can give some of ya a place to rest your head. (our homes are side by side) and I think between us we can comfortably accommodate 8 friends..

I look forward to meeting some new friends and connecting again with some old friends.

God Bless YA!
Randy

Thanks for looking, Please dont forget to POST here to keep this one on top this month.:razz:

stereo.pete
09-04-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm actually off this weekend!!! I will begin selling the idea to the Wife.

HHH Knives
09-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Pete. I hope you can convince the boss that its a necessary trip. if all else fails you can tell her your gona have to order a couple more custom knives!! :) That should convince her to see things your way. :D

sachem allison
09-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Randy, I would be there but, I'm not getting back from Cali until the 8th.

Baby Huey
09-04-2013, 10:34 PM
I know I am new here, but if I were still working at Dow Corporate in Midland, I would be there in a heartbeat to check things out. Hope you get a good turnout. Sounds like it will be a blast.

HHH Knives
09-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Randy, I would be there but, I'm not getting back from Cali until the 8th.

Son, You will be missed. Hope you can make some time this year and come by for a visit either way! Be safe and have fun on your trip.

Blessings

HHH Knives
09-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I know I am new here, but if I were still working at Dow Corporate in Midland, I would be there in a heartbeat to check things out. Hope you get a good turnout. Sounds like it will be a blast.

Were gona have a BLAST! There is just nothin better then getting together with fellow knife Knuts! Im sure you all know what Im talking about. Its great when you can say talk about sharp and pointy things without everyone making weird faces at ya. ;)

Thanks and God Bless YA
Randy

RRLOVER
09-05-2013, 08:08 AM
I will be there!!!

Lefty
09-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Trying to swing it, as well. I'd love to meet Mario, and maybe even that Mike Davis character. Will he be there?

cheflarge
09-05-2013, 05:17 PM
I know a guy that say's he is a pretty desent cook & would love to help with the "hog"! :goodpost:

Don Nguyen
09-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Why do I have to be across the nation??

Would love to go.

HHH Knives
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Trying to swing it, as well. I'd love to meet Mario, and maybe even that Mike Davis character. Will he be there?

Lefty, Yep I expect Davis, Mario and Delbert Ealy.. And many more that may not be already here on KKF.

Honestly, Michigan and the surrounding area is Rich in knife people and. From ABS master smiths and journeymen smiths, to some world class engravers. As well as dozens of great knife makers!!

Looking forward to seeing ya again..

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
09-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I know a guy that say's he is a pretty desent cook & would love to help with the "hog"! :goodpost:

You know you are always welcome. :)

Lefty
09-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Del too, eh? Crap...last time I came back from your place they searched my damn car! Haha. I'll see what I can do. :D

cheflarge
09-06-2013, 05:43 PM
You can bet (even though it's opening week of bow season) that I will be there! It will be nice to be able to put some names with faces.

HHH Knives
09-06-2013, 06:16 PM
You can bet (even though it's opening week of bow season) that I will be there! It will be nice to be able to put some names with faces.

Awesome Chef. I know you will enjoy any time spent here. Maybe not to the same extent as having a trophy 10 point buck walk into bow range. But it will be as good of a story and memory. I guarantee it! ;)

Im looking forward to meeting you.
Randy

HHH Knives
09-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Del too, eh? Crap...last time I came back from your place they searched my damn car! Haha. I'll see what I can do. :D

I dont have a 100% YES from Del yet. But its a strong Maybe!! :) He was here last year and I know if possible. he will be here this year!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
09-06-2013, 10:21 PM
I just got word that my friend and fellow knife maker Josh Dabney from Florida is going to brave the COLD Michigan air and come up for the Hammer In weekend!

Josh is a great guy and fellow knife knut! I posted a photo of some of his work in the new maker thread a few weeks ago.

Im really looking forward to this years Hammer in. I have a feeling its gona be the best one yet! For me. its the people and the friendships that are built that make a hammer-in a success! That, and the food. I would like to think we do it up right when it comes to the food!! Both years we have put out a spread of home cooked goodness. This year we are gona do a pig. and will be FEASTING on port both days!! :)

God Bless YA!
Randy

Mrmnms
09-06-2013, 11:30 PM

You guys will eat well :)

HHH Knives
09-07-2013, 07:55 PM
You guys will eat well :)

Ohh Yea, You can bet on that my friend! :) Nice roasted big stuffed with more pork and slow roasted and smoked. Its gona be a FEASTIVAL!

HHH Knives
09-09-2013, 07:05 PM
OK guys.. Im looking at options for the pig roast part of the hammer in. I have never done a pig and was wanting some input.

I can
A. get the pig and roaster and roast that pig! buy the stuff tins, and charcoal and whatever else would be needed to not only cook it, but serve and stare left overs.

B. they will roast the pig for me and deliver it all cut and in serving pans. I just choose pig size and anything I would like the pig stuffed with. etc. and they do that roasting and bring the feast to me!!!

C. they will roast the pig per my requests. Then deliver the whole pig as well as if I want, they will cut it up and leave with the bones!

Im leaning toward roasting it here. But hate to take away from the limited time I have to spend doing stuff at the hammer in. Im already spread real thin on these days..

Options.
Considering having the pig stuffed with Sausage upon a friends recommendation. Any input here? I was thinking Pig stuffed with PIG wrapped in BACON has got to be good! :) or would chickens inside that are stuffed with sausage seem like a acceptable second choice? Please tell me your ideas and share your experience

Cheflarge has offered to help, basically roast the pig for me. But I hate to take him away from all the fun by putting him to work. :( I know that I would have him and the roasting on my mind. Just doesn't seem fair to me. Although I do know that EVERYONE will be talking to the chef if he is roasting a pig so he wont miss meeting anyone!! ;) (Just thinking out loud here.)

Looking forward to some input from my friends. :)

Dardeau
09-09-2013, 09:38 PM
I wish I lived close enough to help. Stuffing a pig can be awesome, but it also takes a bit of experience, as you have to bone it whole from the cavity, fold the boned legs back in,, stuff it, then sew it back up. This is much easier to do with sucklings but you could need two pigs. For one big pig I would break the ribs at the sternum with a cleaver, allowing you to "crucify" it with wire on a piece of cheap Home Depot grill metal, then sandwich another sheet of grill metal on top and tie down with more wire. This renders the whole surface of the pig even. Then cook over a slow fire till the pig is internal 260 degrees, rest 45 minutes, and devour. Mayonnaise, onion, and soft rolls recommended.

HHH Knives
09-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Heck yea. Thanks for the info. Wish you were closer and could come and show me! lol :)

Baby Huey
09-10-2013, 01:19 AM
I would say if you are going to have it cooked and delivered, then have it delivered whole. That way there is more cutting involved. Hands on for folks that do not know how to carve a pig. Just a thought.

HHH Knives
09-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Im leaning toward having it delivered whole.! Now to decide what to stuff it with?!?!

Mike Davis
09-11-2013, 10:25 AM
So, who are we going to see at Randys? It is a great time, lots of food and general jackassery. we might even make something lol.

Mike Davis
09-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I suppose i should add that it is the 5th and 7th of Oct at Randys shop in Marlette Mi

Lefty
09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm really hoping to get down there for at least a day. Although, in a recent turn of events, it turns out my passport has expired. Is there an easy way around this (legal, by the way)?

CanadianMan
09-11-2013, 11:19 AM
if you go to the Canadian passport office you can get it made in 10 days

stereo.pete
09-11-2013, 06:33 PM
I currently have an 85% chance of going. Hopefully I can make it and learn something about knife making as I definitely need some help! Can't wait to meet a bunch of you as well.

Randy you should make a list of things that you need people to bring, ie: chairs, beer, beer and possibly some beer.

ChiliPepper
09-12-2013, 07:02 AM
That sound like FUN, knives, knuts, edges and a stuffed pig... what can go wrong? :) You guys enjoy yourselves, I'm sure it's gonna be awesome!

HHH Knives
09-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm really hoping to get down there for at least a day. Although, in a recent turn of events, it turns out my passport has expired. Is there an easy way around this (legal, by the way)?

Get R done! and bring a pillow and blanket if your gona stay the night. Last year we ran short on them..

HHH Knives
09-12-2013, 08:40 AM
I suppose i should add that it is the 5th and 7th of Oct at Randys shop in Marlette Mi

Ill be there Mike! :D Its the 5th and 6th just so there is no misinformation. There Clear as mud. :)

HHH Knives
09-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I currently have an 85% chance of going. Hopefully I can make it and learn something about knife making as I definitely need some help! Can't wait to meet a bunch of you as well.

Randy you should make a list of things that you need people to bring, ie: chairs, beer, beer and possibly some beer.

Pete, if you are drinking Beer its a BYO weekend. We will be providing the food and non alcohol beverages. and all the shop stuff and what not! I have many tables and chairs. as well as a large open side tent in case it rains.

Aside from that bring a pillow and sleeping bag etc. Possibly a tent, and yourself and a smile!

HHH Knives
09-17-2013, 07:48 AM
Slow but sure things are falling together over here. This is gona be a awesome gathering and Im looking forward to it!

I miss my buddy Mike D. The guest list is jammed full of awesome knife makers and new guys. Which is the best prescription for a great hammer in. :)

Hope some of you guys can make it over and help us eat this pig! ;)

HHH Knives
09-20-2013, 11:50 PM
And the countdown continues! Getting closer to the big weekend. Lots of good stuff and more people that are confirming they will be here for one or both days!

I have a feeling this year will be the best Hammer In yet! I hope a few more of you guys can make it so Im bumping this thread! :)

Its a KNIFE life!!!
Randy

Crothcipt
09-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I would love to go, but I took 2 weeks off for my birthday. Maybe next year, it sounds like a great time.

WildBoar
09-24-2013, 03:58 PM
I can't make it, but will have UPS drop by and fill up a box with roasted pig to deliver to me :D

HHH Knives
09-25-2013, 02:41 AM
Hope you guys can make it next year!

Things are starting to come together and the count down is ON!!!

Some of the things I checked off the list.. :D

Piggy is ordered. As well as 50 lbs of other sides and salads. Were gona be eating good!

Made a trip to the store secured the paper goods. cups, plates, napkins and lots of storage containers and cooking stuff and whatnot.

Steel is ordered on on the way for some special Heat treating demo were planning..

Abrasives ordered and delivered as well as some other goodies and supplies on the way to make sure we dont run out of any important stuff!

all 3 bedrooms cleaned, carpets, walls and new bedding applied!

Tents and tables and chairs ordered. and ready for pickup.

Phew.. Are we havin fun yet!?!?!?

Im looking forward to seeing everyone and getting some time in the shop throwing sparks and making sharp and pointy stuff!

Blessings
Randy

Mucho Bocho
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Randy, You're one busy guy. This event sounds pissa. The only one thing that you may want to add is a designated photographer? That way you can have a photo documented official KKF hammer in. We see how your knife photos come out, no doubt you got some fancy photography hardware at your disposal?

I mean, you know how we like pics around here and reading a thread without them can be like watching paint dry, especially when its about having fun. Plus I for one would like to actually see what other knife freaks look like. This way others on the forum can attend, al be it virtually and time shifted.

What do you think? dp

HHH Knives
09-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Great idea. Last year I took some pictures, but missed 95% of the photo ops because I was workin on somthin sharp and pointy. Ill try and get someone to snap a few hundred photos on each day!

Here are a few images from last year! Delbert, Mario, Mike D., Randy Jr., and many others! :)

Thanks for the input.
Randy

HHH Knives
10-02-2013, 09:03 AM
The countdown is ON!! Just a couple days and guys will be getting into town. Sparks will start flying! Forges will be fired and we will start the 2013 Hammer in!

I have some COOL news to add. My friend and fellow knife maker Zeb will be doing a smelt. making sand into carbon rich ore. called a Bloom. From the bloom, we will forge out something amazing, possibly mixing in some meteorite and making damascus.

Yep its gona be cool :)

Anyone who is gona be here that has not confirmed yet and needs directions Message or email me.

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
10-02-2013, 10:06 AM
So Randy Jr. already wanted to forge out some meteorite for the hammer in. and I was not down for that and told him lets do regular damascus. But now with Zeb smelting steel for the HI. adding some refined meteorite and forging some awesome Michigan made Steel wit space steel added may be the coolest thing ever!!!

Im think 270mm slicer, or possibly a scimitar or a short sword or dagger? I dont know yet but I do know whatever we make its gona be SUWEET!

cheflarge
10-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Oh boy!!! Although I don't think I understand what was just said........ Sounds pretty cool to me! :biggrin: Hey Del, sounds like I might be making some Tai Curry while I'm up there. (Better bring the Sushi mat to.)

WillC
10-02-2013, 06:02 PM
If I were a little closer, you know I would be there, maybe one day. Have a fun and fruitful time. :biggrin:

HHH Knives
10-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Chef, Its gona be AWESOME! :) any time you can turn iron rich sand and clay into steel that becomes a knife.. Its awesome!! :) The smelt will start first thing Saturday morning and by end of the day we will be forging the bloom and meteorite! That is if Murphy stays home!!

Will I hope you can one day make it over. You have a open invite whenever your in the states!

God Bless
Randy

statusquo
10-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Is that Kevin Cashen in last year's pics?

HHH Knives
10-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Yep, Thanks Mr. Kevin Cashen. He will be here again this year both days. :)

RRLOVER
10-02-2013, 11:44 PM
This should be some fun!!!!

daveb
10-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Will is going to be a tough act to follow. Do you have a pole?:justkidding:

Sounds like a great weekend.

Mike Davis
10-04-2013, 11:11 AM
have a few knives ready to show, some steel to forge and some J knives also...getting excited to hang out with my knife family!!

Lefty
10-04-2013, 11:25 AM
I hate that I can't make it, this year. Maybe I'll find a way to visit some of you guys some time before the end of the year....

Mike Davis
10-04-2013, 11:36 AM
^ :D

HHH Knives
10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Were setting up tents and doing final stuff around the house and shop.

Glad your ready Mike, and Lefty I hope to see ya again soon.

Were expecting 3 guys from out of state t get in town today. and were geared up to start strong tomorrow morning

Blessings

cheflarge
10-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Definition of excitement: An accredited chef getting to hang out with the "Artisans" that make the tools that he cherishes just about more than anything else........ I am so frickin geeked, it's not even funny! :cheffry:

cheflarge
10-04-2013, 04:33 PM
FYI: I will be bringing the bulk of my kit (trades, swapes, whatever)

Mucho Bocho
10-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Randy, Remember PICS!!!

HHH Knives
10-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Mario made it and were chilling and chatting! Good times!!

Josh should be here in a hour and Calvin will be here shortly after that. :)

Randy

HHH Knives
10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Chef its a honor to have you here my friend!

We will take LOTS of pictures and possibly a couple short movies!

Baby Huey
10-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I am excited for all of you. Hope you guys have a blast. Can't wait to see the pics and comments. :beer:

cheflarge
10-04-2013, 06:03 PM
:plus1: YEAH, BUDDY!!! :biggrin:

Breezyjr
10-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Still totally bummed I can't be there... Especially since you are not far from me. But, I had 2 soccer games, and 1 volleyball game yesterday.... (I coach) and today, one soccer game.... At noon.

Maybe next year...

Have fun!
Joe_Breezy

Mike Davis
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM
PICS!!! i know you took 3000 pictures

RRLOVER
10-07-2013, 11:32 AM
PICS!!! i know you took 3000 pictures

What he said!!!!.....Had a Geat Time

Lefty
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Yeah, pics!

HHH Knives
10-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Wow guys. The day after the hammer in weekend feels like a big hangover.. We had a blast!!

I have to resize and sort through some pictures and ill post as soon as tonight! Heres a peak at the smelting

Mucho Bocho
10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I want to see those short videos you took or are they inappropriate to post on this website? LOL

cheflarge
10-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Man!!! All I can really say is what an awesome experience!!! I have to be the most "Blessed" chef on earth. Mario, Mike and of course Randy...... what can I say..... you frickin' guy's rule!

HHH Knives
10-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Was alot of fun this weekend! Thanks chef for making the trip my friend!

Here are some pictures of the smelt. :)

RRLOVER
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM

Sexy *****'s

HHH Knives
10-07-2013, 10:43 PM
and more images! :)

HHH Knives
10-07-2013, 10:46 PM
That was day 1 :) of the smelting and forging of the bloom resulting from the smelt.

WillC
10-08-2013, 02:57 AM
Nice, like the re-usable tatara design, what went in, and how long at gas mark 5?:D

apicius9
10-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Always enjoy seeing pics like this, thanks! Looks like you guys had a great time.

Stefan

Mucho Bocho
10-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Lo0king good Randy. really cool pics of smelting. More please

HHH Knives
10-08-2013, 11:45 AM
More pictures of the Hammer IN! Good times!

HHH Knives
10-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Hammer Time!

Mucho Bocho
10-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Yea thanks Randy. I think I've figured out who Randy and his son (smoking) are. Maybe Mario too. But who are the other guys?

HHH Knives
10-08-2013, 02:53 PM
OK, Mario is the guy in a red muscle shirt swinging a hammer, Mike D is the guy with the big earrings, Jr is the kid at the press. Zeb did the smelt.

I am not in ANY of these pictures :(

Thanks

WillC
10-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Great stuff, love this
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19184&d=1381243352
Though I had a double take as he looks at one with his smelt.

Mucho Bocho
10-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Dam I had you pegged for the the guy with the red cut off shirt and monster forearms. Let see a shot of you Mr HHH? Huh

cheflarge
10-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Some of the nicest, coolest people I have ever met in my fifty five years of existence. Just sayin!

Mike Davis
10-08-2013, 03:56 PM
It was indeed a great time, great company and outstanding hospitality from the entire Haas family! Looking forward to my next visit already!

Mucho Bocho
10-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Did you guys cook the pig? Lets see it?

HHH Knives
10-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I did get a Pig. and about 50 lbs of sides. The company I purchased it from cooked and pulled the pig and Chef and I picked it all up Sat. In all about 60 lbs of meat. :)

HHH Knives
10-08-2013, 04:29 PM
I dont know if anyone took any photos of me?

I was snapping LOTS of images both days.

Mucho Bocho
10-08-2013, 04:34 PM
AH randy, smart move, knives and pork in the oven at the same time can ilicit some unintended consequenses. Still want to see a shot of you. K

Lefty
10-08-2013, 06:14 PM
He looks like a Sr version of Jr. :D

Looks like a good time, guys. Someone should tell Mario his hands looks small and his forearms need work.... Yeah....... Hahaha

RRLOVER
10-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Sexy *****'s

From left to right...Mike Davis...Randy jr.....Zeb Demming....Me...Josh Dabney

Mrmnms
10-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Maybe next year Chef Al and I come a day early and do a pig up Randy.

HHH Knives
10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Heck YEA! That would be awesome. Thanks. Chef Al offered to do the whole thing and I just couldnt do that to my buddy. I wanted him to be able to experience everything rather then be on cooking duty. But I couldnt keep him out of the kitchen, He was a great help with serving and cleanup. :) Thanks Chef!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
10-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Phew, Im almost starting to feel "normal" again after the Hammer In. (Whatever that may be) :D Man what a fun weekend! It was great..

Now its back to the grind! Slamming and jamming out some custom orders!

Thanks to all who made the trip. I hope to have even more attend next year!

God Bless
Randy

cheflarge
10-09-2013, 05:03 PM
I really didn't do much of anything. Just glad I could help and be a part of such a great gathering. Thanks, again, Randy, you and the misses could not of been more hospitable. Mike I., plan on it!!!