PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth tooth! NEW SCORE!

HHH Knives
09-09-2013, 07:24 PM
This is a Texas tooth, they say EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas. and in the case of mammoth teeth I gota agree. this is approx 25 lbs and its 11" X 11" X over 4" thick. Found in a river in Texas about 6 years ago, and its heading this way.

Im JAZZED!
Randy

rdm_magic
09-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Thats one big tooth! How much did it cost you?

Mrmnms
09-09-2013, 07:57 PM
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Just kidding. :D. How many handles you figure to get out of it Randy?

HHH Knives
09-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Im thinking if all goes well with the stabilization process and the cutting. maybe 15 sets of scales? Possibly even more depending on so many factors..

Beings the largest tooth I have ever handled Im just guessing. :D

I did get what I would consider a good deal $$$ on this tooth. Timing and luck.

Baby Huey
09-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Nice grab. Looking forward to seeing the results.

HHH Knives
09-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Nice grab. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Me Too!! :) Im working my butt off over here so it will probably sit here for months B4 I get a chance to even mess with it. But when stuff like this is offered you either snag it or miss out. I was happy to be able to snag this one. Its a super sized tooth! :D

Thanks
Randy

apicius9
09-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Just imagine the size of that beast if the tooth is that big. Amazing.

Stefan

Baby Huey
09-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Just imagine the size of that beast if the tooth is that big. Amazing.

Stefan

Imagine what size Gyuto that a beast like that would be comfortable using...........

HHH Knives
09-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Imagine the size of the gyuto you would need to dress and clean a beast this size!! :) The tooth should be delivered today I cant wait to see it. Its by far larger then any tooth I have had so far.

pitonboy
09-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, is this stabilized like a piece of wood? Is the thickness then an impediment to getting the center stabilized? Or do you somehow cut it before stabilization?

HHH Knives
09-12-2013, 09:47 AM
The tooth is currently not stabilized. I will cut and stabilize it here. then finish processing it into knife size pieces!

WillC
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Would love a ferrule/endcap size chunk if you do anything in those proportions Randy:) Pretty please

HHH Knives
09-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Would love a ferrule/endcap size chunk if you do anything in those proportions Randy:) Pretty please

I think we can work something out Will. I may have a little piece that I could part with.. :D

The tooth arrived in one MASSIVE piece!!! :bigeek: The color is a bit darker then the first pictures show. and the size is without a doubt larger then any tooth I have had the honor of working with! Its almost a perfect tooth only missing a small section which also allowed me to sorta get a look at what color combinations I may find within.

Here are a few snap shots.

Anton
09-12-2013, 07:42 PM
That's crazy stuff! I'll like some toothpicks out of it please :D

WillC
09-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Amazing, that would be a real treat thanks Randy. :doublethumbsup:

apicius9
09-13-2013, 04:18 PM
Just curious, what kind of saw blades do you use for that? Could you do a WIP for us? :) That would really be cool.

Stefan

Crothcipt
09-14-2013, 06:16 PM
I think I hear something about trade secretes coming along. Although I would love to see a wip myself.

apicius9
09-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Didn't even think about that because I have no intention to ever do that myself, just curious how one would even start on such a large thing. Up to Randy. I am sure we will get to see the final product some day ;)

Stefan

HHH Knives
09-14-2013, 06:43 PM
I do have a few secrets I hold close and the stabilizing process itself is one of them. :D I use a diamond saw blade to cut the tooth, anything else will tend to do more harm to the tooth. causing it to break and or burn etc. dont ask me how I know this.

The diamond blades makes a clean cut approx a 60 to 80G scratch pattern on the tooth which makes clean up a little easier. That is IF I get good even cuts on the scale sets etc. Im still learning, and every tooth presents a unique challenge so I have a feeling I will always be learning.. Thats half the fun.

God Bless
Randy

mr drinky
09-14-2013, 10:14 PM
This is an awesome thread. Why? Because Randy's tooth makes me want to dream up a knife to use it with.

k.

HHH Knives
10-19-2013, 06:51 PM
This one and 3 others are now in the process of being "stabilized" Then the pain staking time consuming process of cutting and prepairing them into scales and blocks will soon follow. :)

Mr Dinky. You know I am always down for a cool new project. So Dream on and lets make a plan!

Fran Rendina
10-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Omg I love that, I would love a block of that.

HHH Knives
10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
No new progress on the tooth. I have been busy doing Heat Treat testing on a (New to me) Stainless steel. When I get further along in the process Ill post some images of the tooth and resulting pieces. At that point. anyone wanting to snag a piece is welcome to contact me or post here with requests.

Thanks
Randy

HHH Knives
11-13-2013, 04:25 AM
I have got the tooth from Texas stabilized and cut. Still have some finish work but should have some pictures and offerings soon!

Heres a quick n dirty photo of the next batch of teeth to be stabilized. BIG FUN!

HHH Knives
11-13-2013, 04:35 AM
On a side note. I received some amazing cut and natural stones for Lisa to use for jewelry. Anyone who may be interested in placing a order for something from Lisa this Christmas may want to contact me sooner then later. Shes been pretty busy filling orders for a local store. and working on the house. But Im sure she would be happy to hook up some cool stuff for ya! I dont know the name of each of these but Lisa does. :)

HHH Knives
12-12-2013, 06:19 PM
A few more pieces that are heading this way! 2 Large mammoth molars and a nice mammoth ivory section

CPD
12-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Wow. Those look like they've got potential to turn into something great. Can't wait to see the final result. Always pretty wild to see before and after pictures of exotic materials.