PDA

View Full Version : Gar Pike Dagger!

HHH Knives
09-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Hey guys, Its been to long for me. Having not made a kitchen knife for a while. Im CRAVING the thrill of it. :) But I had to finish a long over due order first. :razz: This blade is some of Jr's Twist pattern damascus. I ground and heat treated it a few months back and its been sitting here with a few other blades waiting for me.

Beings no one opted for the gar skin scales on the folders. I used a set on this blade. I gota say its amazing stuff and made a great handle. The skin is very hard. and has nice texture which allows for finish work to be done without removing that texture and color from stabilizing. It polished up beautiful! :cool2:

OAL 10.5" with a 6" blade.
Black wood and Gar handles
Mosaic pins and filework.
Leather boot sheath with stingray skin inlay

Thanks for looking and I hope to have something more kitchen related to show in the very near future.

Randy

Baby Huey
09-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Very beautiful setup. As usual. Keep up the good work.

Leer1217
09-19-2013, 12:22 PM
wow. i don't really even have interest in non-kitchen knives...but wow. that's gorgeous. looks straight out of lord of the rings, except in dammy. :D

cheflarge
09-19-2013, 12:54 PM
:plus1: DUDE!!! really, simply amazing!!!

knyfeknerd
09-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Where might one find Gar scales?
I had no idea this was a thing. Are there any other fish scales used? Some Alligator maybe?

HHH Knives
09-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Very beautiful setup. As usual. Keep up the good work.

Thanks much! Ill try! :)

HHH Knives
09-19-2013, 04:56 PM
wow. i don't really even have interest in non-kitchen knives...but wow. that's gorgeous. looks straight out of lord of the rings, except in dammy. :D

I dont often make daggers, but when I do. There often dammy!!! :D

Thanks man.

HHH Knives
09-19-2013, 04:57 PM
:plus1: DUDE!!! really, simply amazing!!!

Chef, I was just aching to try these Gar scales. and Im glad I did! :) Thanks buddy for the comment!

HHH Knives
09-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Where might one find Gar scales?
I had no idea this was a thing. Are there any other fish scales used? Some Alligator maybe?

So far I have Gar pike scales and Armadillo skin scales!!

Message me and Ill give you the info of my stabilizing guy. I dont think I can say on open forum, Hes not a vendor and there are strict rules here about that sort of thing.

Lucretia
09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Love the way the pattern in the tang is echoed in the gar scales. Great looking knife!

cookinstuff
09-20-2013, 02:03 AM
wow Randy, I have been chomping at the bit to see some of those finished out on a knife since you emailed me a pic of those stabilized scales. Talk about a worthwhile experiment, you and your stabilizing guys are like pioneers or something hehe.

Johnny.B.Good
09-20-2013, 02:11 AM
You're a real artist, Randy.

Dardeau
09-20-2013, 08:48 AM
A server caught us an alligator gar for staff meal about a month ago. The flesh was surprisingly good, but it was a nightmare to get through that tough skin. High pressure on poultry shears through the anal vent eventually got it, when the bone saw wouldn't touch it. Once you're inside though you can just separate away from the skin an it's fairly easy. Tastes like a predator fish for sure.

marc4pt0
09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Those Gar pike scales look amazing. Never heard of such a thing. Wow!

HHH Knives
09-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Love the way the pattern in the tang is echoed in the gar scales. Great looking knife!

Thanks Lucretia. :D

WildBoar
09-20-2013, 03:20 PM
High pressure on poultry shears through the anal vent Not to sidetrack too much, but that would be a kick-ass name for a band. :biggrin:

HHH Knives
09-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Not to sidetrack too much, but that would be a kick-ass name for a band. :biggrin:

LOL, If you say so! :D

Dardeau
09-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry, I get REALLY excited about fish. I wish it was easier to get at the flesh, they taste really good, and are a dime a dozen around any dock in LA if you chum a little.

HHH Knives
09-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Sorry, I get REALLY excited about fish. I wish it was easier to get at the flesh, they taste really good, and are a dime a dozen around any dock in LA if you chum a little.

Its all good! Thanks for sharing.. I have never eaten a Gar.

We have a species of gar pike here in Michigan that grow quite large. Buy nothing in comparison to the Alligator Gar Pike from down south. I didnt know they were also in LA.

Dardeau
09-21-2013, 12:11 AM
LA not L.A.

Lucretia
09-21-2013, 12:11 AM
My gar story...and it's true.

worked with a guy who went waterskiing and wiped out---right on top of an alligator gar. Which ended up with its snout embedded in his "cheek". Took a while at the hospital to clean all the gar bits out. He had trouble sitting for a while. :bigeek:

HHH Knives
09-21-2013, 12:22 AM
That makes more sense!! :) Thanks for clearing that up.

Dardeau
09-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Holy crap. I can't imagine how much antibiotics that took.

HHH Knives
09-22-2013, 12:26 AM
My gar story...and it's true.

worked with a guy who went waterskiing and wiped out---right on top of an alligator gar. Which ended up with its snout embedded in his "cheek". Took a while at the hospital to clean all the gar bits out. He had trouble sitting for a while. :bigeek:

WOW, thats crazy! and sorta funny at the same time!! :D

b47
09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Wow, that is beautiful

ptolemy
10-06-2013, 05:18 AM
This reminds me of a 12th centry Damascus dagger for a Caliph or something. Gorgeous