PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Harner "stabber"?

XooMG
10-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Sorry if the question is inappropriate or misplaced.

I've been looking for a shorter knife to complement my 210mm gyuto and 170mm cleaver, and I stumbled across some shorter knives by L.R. Harner that were sold by Lefty's store:

http://sharpandshinyshop.com/collections/found-a-home/products/butch-harner-90mm-3-5-parer-utility

I found the profile very appealing and thought it might fill a niche as a small knife for mostly board work and the occasional paring task. My kitchen is very tiny and even a shortish 210mm gyuto can be awkwardly big when working with garlic or ginger or other small stuff. However, I'm a novice and understand my intuition may be way off.

I was wondering if anyone's picked up one of these from Tom or from Butch directly, what you use it for, and how you like it. That'd help a bit. Butch actually emailed me saying he wasn't sure what people used them for, but that they were well-liked.

Thanks in advance.

CoqaVin
10-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Lefty just had a contest for a new run of these....I had to bow out of the second running because I just got a parer

XooMG
10-10-2013, 12:53 PM
Lefty just had a contest for a new run of these....I had to bow out of the second running because I just got a parer
I thought his contest was for more dedicated paring knife, which is narrower at the heel than the "stabby things" as Mr. Harner called them.

CoqaVin
10-10-2013, 12:56 PM
oh I didn't notice the difference they look pretty similar and anything that Lefty promotes on his website I'm sure is a good knife

Lefty
10-10-2013, 12:59 PM
They're different knives. One's a parer, the other is a...well...I dunno what. i finally figured out what I was gently trying to say to you in the emails. The Stabber is more of a knife that you find tasks for because it's fun, thin and different than any other knife in your kitchen. It's great for garlic, trimming and cutting wrap, sous-vide bags, etc, and does a really nice job on coring out strawberries. I think it's a knife that people who don't need any more petty knives buy and enjoy. I'd likely opt for a mini gyuto, or 150mm petty, but that's just me. I should point out that this is not a knock on these knives (I sell them), but more me trying to get you into a knife that makes more sense in your situation.

Pensacola Tiger
10-10-2013, 01:02 PM

These are two different knives. One is a paring knife that Lefty and Butch designed and Butch produced. It was inspired by the Sabatier Nogent paring knife.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Harner-McLean%2085%20mm%20CTS-XHP%20parer/file_zpsc672b6cf.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Harner-McLean%2085%20mm%20CTS-XHP%20parer/file_zpsc672b6cf.jpg.html)

The knife the OP is asking about is a paring/utility knife that is of Butch's design.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Harner%20Knives/file_zps44a2b1ba.jpg (http://s758.photobucket.com/user/Pensacola_Tiger/media/Harner%20Knives/file_zps44a2b1ba.jpg.html)

Now, to answer the OP's question. My wife loves the "Stabber", and grabs it whenever she wants to cut anything. On the other hand, I find myself reaching for either a gyuto or a paring knife. The "Stabber" doesn't have enough flat spot for me to use it on a board, and it is just a tad too tall at the heel to be comfortable for in-hand use. YMMV.

Rick

CoqaVin
10-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks Rick!

With the side by side comparison and someones actual insight on the knife I now see how it is different and a lot taller on the heel...My bad never meant for the skewed perception of the knife

XooMG
10-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Thanks to both Rick and Tom for the clarification. I'm glad I asked first instead of rushing to order. I'll keep giving it some thought, though, since it is quite a cool-looking little knife.

Lefty
10-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Agreed. :)

Lefty
10-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Just saw that this thread got moved to my sub-forum. Good call... Sorry for posting as I did. That was my bad. :)

cookinstuff
10-11-2013, 12:14 AM
It's a cool little knife, I keep mine for SV bags on line, she is nice and pointy and hasn't hit a board yet hehe.

pleue
10-11-2013, 01:48 PM
I just bought a stabber from lefty. I love the handle size and shape, feels secure in my hand with the extra length and doesn't float around like a smaller paring knife would. I'm trying to decide what I like better between that and the ealy I have. I found the harner does well for me in hand work but for peeling hard fruit you have to peel toward the tip as it is quite tall. I haven't deveined shrimp yet with it which will be the real test for me as that's mainly what I use a paring knife for.

pleue
10-11-2013, 01:51 PM
I'd love to try the other two ones I've been eyeing (butch's new sabatier paring knife and ealy's new slim design) but frankly I just don't use paring knives a ton. When I worked on a small line, I used a 210 petty with 180 nakiri, worked fine for me.

CoqaVin
10-11-2013, 01:57 PM
how do you like the Ealy I just got one from another member getting it today probably

pleue
10-11-2013, 03:24 PM
great little knife, handle feels a bit short/thin at first but I haven't used it too much, will report back soon.

CoqaVin
10-11-2013, 04:19 PM
I just got it :)

But havent had the chance to use it

XooMG
10-13-2013, 11:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. While I still like the style a lot, I've decided to try to go a different direction. Now I'm in line for one of the new style Ealy parers, and Mr. Harner might still do a project with me regarding a smaller board-oriented knife. That ought to cover all my bases (except a bread knife), though a part of me still wishes to upgrade my cheap Chinese cleaver with a hard thin nakiri or something.

Thanks again!
Robert.