PDA

View Full Version : SinkBridge/Stone Holder - The Supremeness - A Group Buy

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Yes, I said "Supremeness", and I meant it! :dancecool:

Awhile back I was asked to take a look at a new product ( a sink bridge) that's coming to market, a product designed by and for knife sharpening nuts. I was shown some pictures and immediately agreed and was sent a sample. My initial impression when opening the box was "WOW!!" and this opinion has carried on through testing.

To give you some back story, there is a group of knifenuts in China (we're everywhere!!) that was discussing the merits of the current sink bridges that are available on the market. Some of these guys envisioned making an upgraded model and one person (who happens to work on CNC machines) took on the challenge. As a group they came up with the design and modified to perfection.

Here is the machine shop where the "Supremeness" was born....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/6_zpsfa03bc2e.jpg

Some parts making...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/1_zps08463d70.jpg

They decided to make this sinkbridge sturdy, strong, & water/rust resistant. Solid aircraft aluminum billets and stainless steel rods and hardware were chosen for materials.
Here is the prototype...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/2_zps5ffde937.jpg

Then they made the parts look pretty by anodizing the aluminum billets...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/73_zps899bb20b.jpg

To further enhance the beauty they offer engraving/personalization...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/3_zps2cfc08a4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/5_zpsb078c200.jpg

The result....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/123_zpsd9dec7cd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010002_zpsbafedca5.jpg

As you can see the sinkbridge is easily adjustable by loosening and tightening the wing nuts and knurled knob to accommodate small stones to large stones mounted on wood bases.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010006_zpsf0953482.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010004_zps93867420.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010014_zps0e0b553b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010005_zpsc79a45b5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010015_zps43fb6afa.jpg

After using this as a sinkbridge I started to wish that it could be used as a stone holder, it's so heavy and solidly built that I wanted to try this so I laid it down on some rubber and damn I was loving it! I spoke with the product rep about having some rubber feet installed so that this would then become both a sinkbridge and a stone holder in one unit and the manufacturer agreed!!! :happy1:

I haven't seen a working example of this yet but I have no doubt that the end result will meet or exceed my expectations.

Here are the two foot sections where the rubber "feet" will be attached...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010018_zpsa6c88561.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/dmart/P1010019_zps89c330c7.jpg

So now for the stats....

OAL - 18" (457mm)

Fits sinks/water bucket tubs up to 16 3/4" (425mm or 42.5cm)

Holds stones up to 14 1/2" (368mm) in length

Materials - Solid aircraft aluminum billet, stainless steel, & some form of rubber for the feet

Weight - 6 lbs (2.7 kg)

Now for the fun stuff....let's have a group buy! :D

For me to be able to order these I need to purchase a minimum and it's a lot for little 'ole me to do. I was given pricing based on quantities, the pricing I will list is for a minimum of 20. I think that we can do this, or at least I'm hoping that's the case. :) If we can't make this minimum then we'll either have to cancel or ask for more per unit, neither is a good way to roll as far as I'm concerned.

The manufacturer will allow the following for this initial group buy...

1. Initial Introductory Pricing - these WILL go up in the future for sure, this is 100% going to happen.

2. Choice of two anodizing colors. Each customer can chose either red or blue as shown in the above pictures.

3. Personalization - Your name engraved. Yes your name (last, first, or even screenname here at KKF, whatever) will be engraved should you wish on your Supremeness sinkbridge/stoneholder

*These sinkbridges should also come standard with the JKS crossed yanagiba logo engraved although this is subject to change.

The introductory group buy price is $175 (plus shipping)
1/3 deposit due at the time of placing the order (initial invoice), the remainder due when the bridges are ready to ship from us here in PA.

*Note - The unit is heavy (almost 6 lbs) so the shipping cost is not going to be inexpensive, especially for you overseas/international customers. Please keep this in mind. Sorry but I can't quote shipping costs.

If you're interested in reserving one of these sinkbridges please post "I'm IN" within this thread and I'll follow, once we have the minimum "I'm IN's", by sending you a Paypal invoice. You'll want to make sure to note what, if any, personalization you want applied to your bridge at this time. I will assume that you don't want any personalization if you say nothing.

So what do you think? Are you IN? :)

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Delivery time is expected to be 4-5 weeks

Von blewitt
11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Very Cool!

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I forgot to mention....my opinions in use....

Zero flex/wiggle/wobble seen. The adjustment blocks move with a finger's touch. The thumb screws lock up solidly with next to no pressure exerted. Top to bottom, this is a quality product, I doubt that I'll ever see a better sinkbridge/stone holder than this.

GlassEye
11-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Those look really nice.

tripleq
11-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Gorgeous piece of kit Dave! I wonder how it would look sitting atop a piece of tree trunk clamped to a stool?

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Gorgeous piece of kit Dave! I wonder how it would look sitting atop a piece of tree trunk clamped to a stool?

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

ecchef
11-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Dave, is the hardware stainless as well? Seeing as this thing is built to last a while, are the rubber feet going to be easily replaceable when they wear out? Do you tighten the cap screws and then use the wing nuts to lock it up?

WildBoar
11-06-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm in.

stereo.pete
11-06-2013, 10:54 PM
I'm in Dave!

gic
11-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Alas the sink I use for sharpening is over sized I guess (about a 23.5" opening so this can't work for me, wish it would though cause it looks awesomely cool

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Dave, is the hardware stainless as well? Seeing as this thing is built to last a while, are the rubber feet going to be easily replaceable when they wear out? Do you tighten the cap screws and then use the wing nuts to lock it up?

All of the hardware is stainless.

I can't answer on the rubber feet since this is still being worked out. Here's what I was told so far..."will make a slot or to screw in, so it is secure."

No need to tighten the cap screws, the wing nuts provide more than ample torque.

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Alas the sink I use for sharpening is over sized I guess (about a 23.5" opening so this can't work for me, wish it would though cause it looks awesomely cool

This may be a problem for some. I appreciate the information and hope that others share as well if this is a problem for them.

Dave Martell
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
We got 2 "I'm INs" :doublethumbsup:

JohnnyChance
11-06-2013, 11:05 PM
In

sachem allison
11-06-2013, 11:09 PM
This may be a problem for some. I appreciate the information and hope that others share as well if this is a problem for them.

maybe they can offer different length cross bars as an option, sorta like small, medium and large.

sachem allison
11-06-2013, 11:09 PM
or telescoping arms

WildBoar
11-06-2013, 11:16 PM
16-3/4" just barely makes it for me; sinks are 16, 16-1/2 and 16-5/8. So I'll typically need it to be fully extended; hopefully it is still rock-solid at full extension. Although I have to imagine it will be better then the Naniwa one that I use now.

gic
11-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Perhaps they can offer a longer steel rod option for garage based sinks???

Justin0505
11-07-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm in if there's an option for longer bars to fit larger sinks.
Also, it would be nice if all of the areas that made contact with the sink had some rubber feet or buffer. This would prevent the bridge from scratching the sink, or , in cases like mine where sharpening is being done in an old cement laundry sink, prevent the sink from scratching the bridge.

ecchef
11-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Alrighty then....with longer rails to bridge 47cm gap.

jimbob
11-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Id be keen but the shipping to aus scares me! Anyone shipped a 6 pound parcel to aus before?

Sam Cro
11-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I am IN I love it and Dave you know me and my issues with (Paypal invoice's) just shoot me a PM and I'll pay it in full at one time . Noted I would like to see it in a S,M, L also for different sink sizes as well.

Best Regards
Sam

Dave Martell
11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
The manufacturer has stated that he can provide longer rails as an optional accessory to purchase. The customer will have to install these rails themselves.

Two issues that were mentioned is that longer rails have not been tested for sturdiness and that the customer has to measure carefully their sink to ensure that the longer rails will fit and not hit their bodies or the wall/backsplash.

I don't have available lengths or pricing at this time, sorry.

Sam Cro
11-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I am Still In ;) I want one either way !

Sam

ChuckTheButcher
11-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Sounds awesome

bahamaroot
11-07-2013, 04:35 PM
I'll buy some stainless rod locally if I need longer rods.

Dave Martell
11-07-2013, 04:49 PM
I'll buy some stainless rod locally if I need longer rods.

That's a good idea.

Just so you know though (although this might not matter) the rods (or rails as they call them) have a flat milled along both sides (I'm assuming that this was done for a reason) and are likely metric.

Dave Martell
11-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm in if there's an option for longer bars to fit larger sinks.
Also, it would be nice if all of the areas that made contact with the sink had some rubber feet or buffer. This would prevent the bridge from scratching the sink, or , in cases like mine where sharpening is being done in an old cement laundry sink, prevent the sink from scratching the bridge.

Justin, what size sink do you have? I'm trying to figure out the sizing requirements.

Dave Martell
11-07-2013, 04:59 PM
So far we have....

In's
Wildboar
stereo.pete
Johnnychance
Sam Cro
dough
Line cooked

In (if we can get the correct size rails)
gic - needs 24" (61cm)
Justin0505 - needs 24" (61cm)
ecchef - needs 19" (48cm)

Dave Martell
11-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Is this all that are interested?

Is the product not supremeness enough?

Is the price too high?

Are you concerned about the fit to your sharpening area, sink, tub, whatever?

Please speak up! :)

Justin0505
11-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Great news about the extra length rods. That's enough for me to couldn't as fully in for the pre-buy.

One more question: would it be possible to order/add-on an extra spacer support (the piece that bridges the 2 rods and sits under the center of the stone? I'd be more comfortable with some of my larger / more delicate stones if there was more support under them.

Thanks!

echerub
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Damn. Now I gotta measure my kitchen sink.

I haven't jumped on yet for two reasons. 1, rubber pads on the surfaces that rest on the sink would be good, otherwise I'm gonna have to use wet towels there anyways. And 2, I normally sharpen on my kitchen counter and not over the sink - and I'm wondering whether that's something I want to change to.

bahamaroot
11-07-2013, 05:39 PM
It look's very impressive but $175+shipping(probably $200 total) is a lot of money for a bridge. I can walk in HD with probably less than half that and come out with stuff to make something pretty supremeness enough.

Justin0505
11-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Justin0505 - needs ?

the gap on my sink is 21", so I'm guessing 24" rails would cover it.
Depending on price, I'd like the original sized rods too though for use in a normal sink or plastic bin.

and an extra rod bridge / stone support would be cool too.

Dave Martell
11-07-2013, 07:03 PM
the gap on my sink is 21", so I'm guessing 24" rails would cover it.

Thanks J

dough
11-07-2013, 11:37 PM
im in

tripleq
11-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Is the price too high?

In my case Dave I'm pretty much set up so unless something absolutely has to be replaced it is tough to justify the expense. I suspect that is the case for many people here. If this were my first bridge purchase I'd be all over it though. It looks like a quality item.

Dave Martell
11-08-2013, 12:03 AM
im in

Got ya Brian, thanks

quantumcloud509
11-08-2013, 12:35 AM
Thats a pretty cool product but Im not a supreme enough sharpener yet... also, a question came to mind - how safe would this be to use with Jnat stones?

Line cooked
11-08-2013, 12:36 AM
I am in

scotchef38
11-08-2013, 02:50 AM
Any idea what the shipping cost might be to Australia?

Birnando
11-08-2013, 04:31 AM

Is the price too high?

I think it looks great, but the one thing stopping me from getting one is the fact that all parts that will be in contact with my sink is metal.

I do my honing atop my kitchen sink, a highly polished thing that I wouldn't want to get all scratched up.

The idea of rubber-feets should, imho, be changed to a rubber base or some kind of coating instead.

I know that scratches can be avoided by simply putting some paper or cloth under it, but that rather makes it less user friendly and will keep water on the seal between the sink and my counter-top for a prolonged time.

Another thing that would add to my desire for it would be to loose the wing nuts for clasps sort of like the ones you'll find on modern race-bikes.
That would make adjusting for different stones quicker and smoother.

Dave Martell
11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it helps.

Dave Martell
11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I am in

:thumbsup:

toddnmd
11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Still thinking. Looks really nice, but it's a good bit of money for me . . .

Sam Cro
11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I am good my Middle sink is only 14 Inches I would like the Blue one I can put Neoprene on the "Feet" of it to suit my needs if I need to I like the design and a 2 nd brace for my lg stones could be offered as an extra os yea I want one of the stone mid braces added to my order <Grins>

Sam

Dave Martell
11-11-2013, 04:23 PM
So far we have....

In's
Wildboar
stereo.pete
Johnnychance
Sam Cro
dough
Line cooked
jimbob
nmko

In (if we can get the correct size rails)
gic - needs 24" (61cm)
Justin0505 - needs 24" (61cm)
ecchef - needs 19" (48cm)

Even if everyone above goes in we're still short of the minimum. :(

Justin0505
11-16-2013, 02:34 AM
Bummer... Im a bit disappointed in our community of sharpening knuts and their failure to jump on another chance for awesoness and absurdity.

jimbob
11-16-2013, 03:29 AM
Well I'm in regardless of shipping to oz. looks to me like the ultimate one stop sink bridge/ stone holder.

ecchef
11-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Ya know, Dave....I'm also think about the anodizing wearing away where it contacts the stones. All that errant slurry and stuff. Maybe some sort of rubber protection there as well?

apathetic
11-16-2013, 07:16 AM
Hey, do you have an idea how much it would cost to send to the UK?

Nmko
11-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Well I'm in regardless of shipping to oz. looks to me like the ultimate one stop sink bridge/ stone holder.

+1

Count me in Dave

Dave Martell
11-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks

Dave Martell
11-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Ya know, Dave....I'm also think about the anodizing wearing away where it contacts the stones. All that errant slurry and stuff. Maybe some sort of rubber protection there as well?

I've been watching this, it could be a concern.

Dave Martell
11-16-2013, 12:19 PM
+1

Count me in Dave

Got ya, thanks!

Hangman
11-17-2013, 08:40 PM
That's a good idea.

Just so you know though (although this might not matter) the rods (or rails as they call them) have a flat milled along both sides (I'm assuming that this was done for a reason) and are likely metric.

just a guess and not sure it matters but it probably has flat sides to allow the thumb screw to set better.... my experience has been check with your local machinist before you assume they can do this for you at a reasonable cost

Dave Martell
11-20-2013, 10:52 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SoEEGXLMSos/TuUvFh0EqAI/AAAAAAAAKms/RudOnTyopTE/s400/crickets%2Bchirping.gif

dmccurtis
11-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I don't use a sink bridge myself, but as a user of natural stones, I'd be worried that the bare metal would chip stones. A rubber lining on the inside of the holder platform could ameliorate that, and provide a little extra grip as well.

99Limited
11-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Well, I'm going to say this because I know Dave you want hear what people really think. First of all it is a really nice sink bridge. I like the fact that it's just a couple of rails and the support system needed to clamp the stone and attach it to the sink. I've been using a Tojiro Sink Bridge for several years and the one thing I really don't like about it is there's all kind of places for water and slurry to accumulate in. So when you're done sharpening you have to leave it in the sink so it can drain before finishing drying it off and putting it away. Plus the fact that it's kind of bulky. The Supremeness definitely needs some rubber feet to work as a stone holder, but also some on the lips that will be in contact with the sink. People who have undermount sinks will not want to risk damaging their countertops.

The real issue I have with this thing though is that it's kind of pricey, I'd be more inclined to buy one for $125. And now that I have officially joined the "Fixed Income" group, I have to be mindful of where I spend my money.

Doug Seward
11-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Question: Regarding the rear support, how far does it overlap the back edge of the sink? From pics it looks to be maybe a half inch. My faucet is only about a quarter inch from the edge of the sink. I am worried about the rear support hitting the faucet trim plate.

Sink front to back is 16", so I should be good with that dimension.

Rubber feet are a great idea. Rubber liners in the stone support are also a great idea to minimize stone chipping and improve grip. Rubber liners for the front and back sink supports would also be great for Granite or Soapstone sinks (someday hopefully).

Will local pick-up be available? I still need to see your shop someday. :doublethumbsup:

I am in, if only to get back to using stones. I actually don't remember the last time I sharpened completely with stones, but it was definitely before I got the KMG 7 years ago. It is so easy to go from dangerously dull to shaving sharp with 3 belts (220 JFLEX, 400 JFlex and x16 NORAX) and a strop (chrome sometimes followed by diamond).

Sadly, I probably have 4 or 5 stones which have never touched steel. Perhaps the Supremeness can help me with this problem.

Also, I don't want my name engraved; that would be tacky. It should be something cool... I am thinking maybe a dragon, or just a dragon claw. Failing that, perhaps 注意:刀片鋒利!

ecchef
11-25-2013, 02:23 AM
Are they ok with katakana?

ecchef
01-14-2014, 05:00 AM
Any updates on this project, Dave?

Dave Martell
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I need to get back on this. The last communication I had with the supplier was pre-Christmas. I'll let you know.

Sam Cro
01-15-2014, 07:33 PM
I am still looking at this thread to keep up with its development .

toddnmd
03-13-2014, 01:27 PM
Any updates? This sink bridge looks great, but I'm still not sure if I could swing the price . . .

Dave Martell
03-13-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm slacking, I need to get on this.

jkingrph
05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
I just found a link to this and joined the forum. Is it still possible to get in on the buy, when will they be available and how do I pay?

Thanks

Jeff

Dave Martell
05-27-2014, 07:56 AM
I just found a link to this and joined the forum. Is it still possible to get in on the buy, when will they be available and how do I pay?

Thanks

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
This group buy never got off the ground, sorry.

Thanks for your inquiry though.

Dave