PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest?

HHH Knives
11-13-2013, 06:06 AM
As most of ya know I am currently doing a 240mm Gyuto and will be also offering a few other styles in the very near future. :D

Im trying to determine if there is enough interest in a cleaver to consider doing a run of them to offer here? :scratchhead:

My thought was to do a Nakiri or Cleaver. Not a thick meat and bone cutting style cleaver.

Im interested in hearing your thoughts. No commitment just some input on the subject. If not a cleaver or a nakiri what would you like other then a gyuto? :knife:

Thanks
Randy

marc4pt0
11-13-2013, 07:18 AM
A scimitar or longer curved filet knife for butchering. Though I doubt you'll get 200 thumbs up on that one. Maybe perhaps a 180-210 suji/petty? Meh, just my lousy 2 cents...

Von blewitt
11-13-2013, 07:29 AM
+1 for a 12" scimitar, carbon preferably

statusquo
11-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Stubby handled cleaver would be awesome!

HHH Knives
11-13-2013, 07:43 AM
:) Good stuff. Thanks guys for taking the time to comment. Im making a list and will keep track of the comments.

God Bless

Nmko
11-13-2013, 08:18 AM
A parer with the Sabatier profile!

V1P
11-13-2013, 09:02 AM
Randy, 210mm-220mm kiritsuke tipped gyuto please.

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

marc4pt0
11-13-2013, 09:32 AM
A scimitar or longer curved filet knife for butchering. Though I doubt you'll get 200 thumbs up on that one. Maybe perhaps a 180-210 suji/petty? Meh, just my lousy 2 cents...

I'll second this! That marc4pt0, quite the smart guy! I'll bet he's very handsome too. I just count myself lucky to be able to share the same forum name and avatar as he. What a small world,I mean seriously, what are the odds!

But I digress, back to the topic at hand. Scimitar like filet knife-brilliant

HHH Knives
11-13-2013, 02:37 PM
A parer with the Sabatier profile! Thanks Ill look into the Sab and its profile and shape and size.

Randy, 210mm-220mm kiritsuke tipped gyuto please.

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum Nice. I love a K tip 200mm Gyuto! Would be my GO TO KNIFE in my small kitchen cooking for our family.

I'll second this! That marc4pt0, quite the smart guy! I'll bet he's very handsome too. I just count myself lucky to be able to share the same forum name and avatar as he. What a small world,I mean seriously, what are the odds!

But I digress, back to the topic at hand. Scimitar like filet knife-brilliant Got ya down TWICE!! lol

cheflarge
11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
+100 on the nakiri & how about a nice 270mm - 300mm suji?

WildBoar
11-13-2013, 03:37 PM
At this point I am mainly looking for knives I can buy for family members. So 180-210 range would be great. More specifically 180 in a traditional petty (like a suji), and a 210 in a cross between gyuto and suji (the "line knife"). So I am kinda in agreement with the first marc4pt0. I will refrain from responding to the claims of the second marc4pt0, other than to say the first one produces some fantastic food. :D

Bill13
11-13-2013, 05:20 PM
I think a nikiri would be cool.

RobinW
11-14-2013, 03:08 AM
I'm still waiting for the Wa handled offers!

Anyway, if i understand it's to be a mid-tech and as such you need a bit of bigger numbers. then from that i draw the conclusion that one should aim for the popular knives. I'd go for a p120-150 petty and a 210 gyuto and possibly a parer. That makes it possible to fit into the needs of a larger audience and should be cheapish enough to make nice gifts.

Now back to the Wa options... :biggrin:

apicius9
11-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Not that I have much use for one, but I like the filet knife idea; an excellent, functional, beautiful, and affordable filet knife may be a market nitch. But what do I know, I am a lowly home cook... :)

Stefan

chefcomesback
11-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Not many makers are offering "line knives " . Call them long petty or short suji but something between 190-210mm. Most of pro's (including myself ) will put down their big gyutos and sujis and look for something smaller and nimble for the service for example to slice a piece of cooked meat. Preferabally something not very tall to eliminate the drag ,maybe something semi stainless so yo don't have to worry about maintenance if you don't wipe it dry after couple minutes during busy service

steelcity
11-14-2013, 08:03 AM
A 10" cimeter/breaking knife in stainless would be cool. Doesn't have to be fancy but should by sturdy but have some flex, take a nice edge, and affordable would be nice too. I currently use Forschner and Kershaw breaking knives. The Kershaw http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/10-inch-breaking-knife-with-granton-edge will take a nice edge but the carbon in it does cause some surface rust if not taken care of immediately. I do a bunch of fishing/spearing down here both recreationally and commercial along with running charters so I use my knives often. I think this would be a nice option. Something to tame beasts like this

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/dinnibj0/bdfish.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dinnibj0/media/bdfish.jpg.html)

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/dinnibj0/bdfish3.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dinnibj0/media/bdfish3.jpg.html)

HHH Knives
11-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Awesome input guys. and NICE groupers!

Keep it coming. Im gaining lots of useful info so far and am glad to get it. :)

HHH Knives
11-14-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm still waiting for the Wa handled offers!

Anyway, if i understand it's to be a mid-tech and as such you need a bit of bigger numbers. then from that i draw the conclusion that one should aim for the popular knives. I'd go for a p120-150 petty and a 210 gyuto and possibly a parer. That makes it possible to fit into the needs of a larger audience and should be cheapish enough to make nice gifts.

Now back to the Wa options... :biggrin:

Your gona like the next offering! ;) Its a wa style handle.. Not a true wa. but a full tang wa shaped handle. :)

RobinW
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
Your gona like the next offering! ;) Its a wa style handle.. Not a true wa. but a full tang wa shaped handle. :)

Why go halfway? Wa:s rule...

HHH Knives
11-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Why go halfway? Wa:s rule...

This is how I make wa style handles. So I am going all the way. :D

HHH Knives
11-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Heres a draft I have been working on. Thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys think.

Input welcomed. :cool2:

RoscoesChicken
11-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Looks like my bank account would be a little less... Sweet design! Like the SS and African Black wood.

Notaskinnychef
11-23-2013, 07:44 PM
I think a nakiri would be very cool, and I love the idea of you making a kiritsuke, altho I don't think I have the means to buy either, it would be great to see

Nmko
11-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Like the SS and African Black wood.

+1 looks to be a great design.

HHH Knives
11-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I think a nakiri would be very cool, and I love the idea of you making a kiritsuke, altho I don't think I have the means to buy either, it would be great to see

Nakiri is on my short list! :) Thanks for the input!!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
11-23-2013, 09:35 PM
+1 looks to be a great design.

Looks like my bank account would be a little less... Sweet design! Like the SS and African Black wood.

Thanks guys. The blade Length and height are still undecided on this one. :)

God Bless YA!
Randy

tomsch
11-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Looks great! Sign me up!!

HHH Knives
11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
The bolster on these will be similar to this. :)

HHH Knives
11-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Thinking for the 3rd knife style of going with THIS. :)

What ya think?

chinacats
11-26-2013, 10:31 PM
Randy, how about something in the shape of the middle knife below? Almost halfway between a nakiri and a cleaver.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r585/knifedude/PA180739_zpsec1dd42d.jpg

bahamaroot
11-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I like the 180-210 petty/suji idea. Been been looking one of these to satisfy me for awhile.

jakuda
12-01-2013, 12:40 AM
I would be interested in a cleaver. Something that won't chip if I whack through chicken bones.

keithsaltydog
12-10-2013, 04:31 PM
I like the 180-210 petty/suji idea. Been been looking one of these to satisfy me for awhile.

I'm with you & Chef on this,found many uses for my Hiromoto AS 150 petty.Think a 180-190 petty/sugi type blade makes for a good line knife as well prep for service & home cooks.

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys for your input. Im listening and will do my best to offer stuff that will not only be beautiful. but functional and desirable to have in the kitchen or your knife roll. :)

Keep it coming!

Merry Christmas to you and yours
Randy

HHH Knives
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I got a chance this week to grind out a test blade.

Im excited about these. I changed up the handle on them back to a western, and modified the blade a little more. Ill try and get some images posted with specs. Its a cross between a suji and a gyuto. at about a 200mm blade length. Which should make it a great line knife as well.

I will be contacting 3 pro chefs as soon as I have the 3rd one of these done. To take one of these for a test drive. I will ask each for a written or verbal review. With focus on how the knife cuts, and works as is. As well as any changes they would suggest to make it better for there needs in the kitchen.

Are we havin fun yet. Im really excited about these!! :D

I am still calling this knife a Midway. Its midway between a suji a petty and a Gyuto Its all mixed up. LMAO!!

God Bless YA
Randy

HHH Knives
01-19-2014, 05:54 PM
The Midway. Take 1 :D

Input welcomed.

Von blewitt
01-19-2014, 06:37 PM
That looks great Randy! That would make a really handy line knife/ travel knife

ChuckTheButcher
01-19-2014, 07:44 PM
I must say the your nakiri's in the past have looked amazing.

HHH Knives
01-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Chuck. I love making Nakiri's. :) I think part of the reason is it allows for a large canvas to showcase the damascus steel!! Also its a fun challenge to grind them so UBER thin!! :doublethumbsup:

Von. Thanks . What if anything would you change on the profile? I was thinking I can bring the heel height down quite a bit and no effect knuckle clearance.. Forgot to post specs. :spin chair:

13 OAL
202mm blade tip to heel.
45mm at the heel height
2.4mm thick at the heel with taper to about .32mm about 1 cm behind the tip. very nice distal taper.
Edge as ground. to .007" or about .18mm thick. which is THIN!! Very close to a zero grind. :) Heck its sharper now, without having even adding the actual edge bevels then some kitchen knives I have seen people try to use to cut food with over the years! lol

> OK so what do ya think of the profile and stuff?

Lefty
01-19-2014, 10:31 PM
This one looks really nice, Randy!

Von blewitt
01-19-2014, 10:39 PM
My current line slicer is 40mm high at the heel and 240mm edge length. I think that works well and has ample knuckle clearance. At 202 long and 45mm it seems like a narrowish Gyuto rather than a hybrid. I think for me 38-40mm would be ideal, and narrowing a touch more towards the tip.

HHH Knives
01-19-2014, 10:49 PM
My current line slicer is 40mm high at the heel and 240mm edge length. I think that works well and has ample knuckle clearance. At 202 long and 45mm it seems like a narrowish Gyuto rather than a hybrid. I think for me 38-40mm would be ideal, and narrowing a touch more towards the tip.

OK. Im gona tune one of these in. Refine the height. and regrind as needed. Thank you for the input. and info.

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
01-19-2014, 11:59 PM
Huw. I reworked one of them. What ya think? :scratchhead:

40mm tall at heel and now 200mm from tip to heel. :thumbsup:

greasedbullet
01-20-2014, 12:05 AM
That is some hot stuff right there.

Von blewitt
01-20-2014, 12:10 AM
That would suit me! It looks awesome.

HHH Knives
01-20-2014, 12:37 AM
:D

CPD
01-20-2014, 02:10 AM
Randy, the Midway is looking great! Guessing you'll have a lot of takers.

Going back to the original thread, I've got to echo the cheers for a Nakiri if you're still contemplating production model ideas. The damascus Nakiri's you've made have been gorgeous!!

If I had the budget right now, I'd be knocking people over to get in line to commission one (maybe, in the ultimate dream, with a chance to mate one of my own Wa handle for it). More realistically, I'd be very interested in a production model. I think either a 165mm or, if going with my personal dream: a slightly unusual 190mm (standards seem to be 165-180-210)....I like the idea of a 7.5" (eg 190mm blade) on a nakiri. Since you're not doing much tip work with a Nakiri - i think a 190 would be a really good universal size for prep work in a pro or home kitchen. It's not too long for a tight workspace or a smaller home kitchen cutting board.....but it's long enough to eat up any vegetable prep tasks thrown at it for a pro.

Wa handle, neutral balance -- think that would be a popular beast.

LeperoftheFaith
01-21-2014, 04:38 AM
I'm a big fan of the so-called line knife, especially ones designed with that in mind and not just a 210 suji/petty, which I find too short for some tasks. You've got my attention.

HHH Knives
01-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Here are some images of the proto type for this Midway. I have adjusted the blade height and grinds. This one is approx 200mm tip to heel. 40mm tall at the heel.

Handles are G-10 with brass pins and H mosaic pin.

I ground the knife thin, yet left it ridged. Spine is rounded, heel is relieved. and handles are highly contoured.

I have a second one. That I left the heel height at about 43mm that I intend to throw some handles on and send out for testing to a few chefs in pro kitchen.

Thanks for looking and all the input
Randy

HHH Knives
01-24-2014, 07:34 PM
This one is just cool!! The handles on this are made from coffee bags. I cant remember if it was Honduran or one of the African's. The bags were made into this custom marcarta. Sorry about the bad photos. Ill try in natural light tomorrow.

Anyways. 200mm AEB-L Midway proto type 2

cheflarge
01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
My goodness!!! Do you sleep? :cool:

HHH Knives
01-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Sleeping is overrated..

HHH Knives
01-26-2014, 01:30 PM
UPDATE..
Over the next couple of weeks I will be working on getting the final details on these Midway line knives hammed out. (bad pun intended) Then start the process of making this a reality!

Stay tuned for more info and final specs and handle details! I have something very unique and cool in mind for the handles on these. Bold and cool all at the same time is all Im saying at the moment.

Thanks again to one and all for the input.. I am thinking that I should start working on and designing a 3rd blade. Input? thoughts? suggestions?

As of now. Im thinking a western handle Nakiri. or a flat profile Santoku may be next. So keep the input and ideas coming. Either of these would be cool, even though I know alot of you guys dont like Santoku's.. I bet there are just as many or more who do, and or have and use them. They just dont tell us here about it! lololol I know when done right, They are a useful tool for a home cook or even on the line. I think that we can agree?

So originally, I wanted to do a full tang Wa style handle, and still may. As of now I am still trying to get the production price point on them where I can offer them to you all at a fair price. But the cost to do it "right" may not be acceptable and as of now. its making me look for other options. Sorry Wa handle guys and gals. This to may change. Im still trying to figure out a way to do it at a price point we all would be happy with.

Always BIG FUN is yet to come. Im glad to have a group of knife Knuts like yourselves to bounce stuff off. and thankful for your input and support!!

Blessings
Randy

cheflarge
01-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Nakiri, nakiri, and....um.....oh...yea.....NAKIRI!!! :D :thumbup: :sly:

HHH Knives
01-26-2014, 03:05 PM
Chef, Why dont you tel us what your really thinking?

cheflarge
01-26-2014, 03:40 PM
:cool: :D. ;) :)