PDA

View Full Version : Buy/Sell forum flag options.

Canadian
12-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Have you guys considered adding a "Pls Remove" tab in the buy/sell forum? I'm a member of another forum and they have a similar volume of items listed, but the main difference is that once the item has sold you can go into the thread options and select a "Pls Remove" button, which flags the post to be removed by moderators. I've found this to be a very nice feature for de-clutterring and maintaining the for sale section. It keeps only those items that are actually for sale listed. Why have hundreds of pages of listings that are either sold or no longer for sale?

thoughts?

bkultra
12-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Instead of a "remove" tag I would recommend a "sold" tag. The reason being is I often visit the sold posts to look @ the knives or track sales and prices. It also introduces a lot of the lesser discussed makers to many of the members/visitors.

Johnny.B.Good
12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Instead of a "remove" tag I would recommend a "sold" tag. The reason being is I often visit the sold posts to look @ the knives or track sales and prices. It also introduces a lot of the lesser discussed makers to many of the members/visitors.

This makes sense to me. I agree that it's interesting to look at closed transactions (both for the pictures, and the prices).

mr drinky
12-02-2013, 02:56 PM
And maybe lock the thread too. It might be a bit more difficult when a person sells multiple items though.

k.

toddnmd
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I like having the threads there for historical reference. Sometimes there are pieces of useful advice (which may or may not be directly related to the sale) there, and sometimes people re-sell knives bought there, and it's helpful to go back and look at the original sales thread, so I don't think they should be removed.

I do like to encourage sellers to state when the item has sold (and perhaps then a mod could lock it). Sometimes people (usually newbies) add a comment a year later, when the item is long gone.

tripleq
12-02-2013, 04:29 PM
And maybe lock the thread too. It might be a bit more difficult when a person sells multiple items though.

k.

+ 1 on the lock option. I think multiple items can be managed fine and the lock option will at least let people know an unlocked thread contains an unsold item. It could be a plus for sellers.

Canadian
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I like having the threads there for historical reference. Sometimes there are pieces of useful advice (which may or may not be directly related to the sale) there, and sometimes people re-sell knives bought there, and it's helpful to go back and look at the original sales thread, so I don't think they should be removed.

I do like to encourage sellers to state when the item has sold (and perhaps then a mod could lock it). Sometimes people (usually newbies) add a comment a year later, when the item is long gone.

With respect, I think it should be the option of the seller whether he or she wants the thread removed.

Dave Martell
12-02-2013, 07:18 PM
I can see how there's a need for marking threads as open or closed/sold or whatever. The option to delete a thread won't happen though, we never remove content.

How about something like a "completed transaction" sub-forum?

The threads could be moved when the transaction is complete. This leaves the thread open for viewing/referencing but not for posting.

The only thread in BST would then be open for business.

I'm just tossing this out there, please post your suggestions.

daveb
12-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I like that content is retained as it allows some historical searching for specific or similar knives. A flag to show spf or sold would be useful when browsing b/s/t but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

And while I'm here an effective search engine for site would be nice. :cool2::cool2::cool2:

Dave Martell
12-02-2013, 09:07 PM
..... but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

I didn't want to say that but I'm glad someone did. Thanks! :)

Canadian
12-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I can see how there's a need for marking threads as open or closed/sold or whatever. The option to delete a thread won't happen though, we never remove content.

The threads could be moved when the transaction is complete. This leaves the thread open for viewing/referencing but not for posting.

This sounds reasonable.

Also, is it possible to extend the amount of time one has to edit their original posts in the BST forum? Another forum I frequent allows users up to 14 days to edit so that when people open the thread they can see the latest asking price from the first post. After the 14 days they do not have the option to edit.

Dave Martell
12-02-2013, 10:35 PM
Also, is it possible to extend the amount of time one has to edit their original posts in the BST forum? Another forum I frequent allows users up to 14 days to edit so that when people open the thread they can see the latest asking price from the first post. After the 14 days they do not have the option to edit.

Unfortunately, no

Canadian
12-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Unfortunately, no

Is this a liability thing for disputed transactions? I understand if it is.

Dave Martell
12-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately, no

Is this a liability thing for disputed transactions? I understand if it is.

No, it's more of a function limitation. The software only allows for site wide time limit setting, we can't set one forum up without having to do the whole site.

tagheuer
12-09-2013, 12:16 PM
I like that content is retained as it allows some historical searching for specific or similar knives. A flag to show spf or sold would be useful when browsing b/s/t but I think it should be user driven. I'm sure mods have other things to do than move threads or close threads and would not want to increase burden on them. My 2 cents.

+1 on the flag when item is spf or sold.

Or maybe add a spf / sold parameter which only visible to the op and we user can query it using advance search. My 2 cents.

Chef Niloc
12-09-2013, 01:33 PM
I have seen some boards ( I think blade forum is one of them) that have a SOLD on the original (1st) post, might be helpful?

Lukas
12-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Can we also make some differentiation between sales from the US/EU?

Pensacola Tiger
12-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Can we also make some differentiation between sales from the US/EU?

Other forums require the seller to put their location (including country) in their profile, as you have. No need to complicate things further.

Rick

bahamaroot
12-09-2013, 08:48 PM

To me just locking the thread would show the transaction is complete. Easier for the mods to just lock it than move it. The lock would represent the "SOLD" tag people are looking for.

Dave Martell
12-09-2013, 09:48 PM
To me just locking the thread would show the transaction is complete. Easier for the mods to just lock it than move it. The lock would represent the "SOLD" tag people are looking for.

That could work.