PDA

View Full Version : Request From Forum Members

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Please stop the miscellaneous comments in the "For Sale" sub-forum. I know you are either/or both trying to increase your post count or trying to help the sale, but in reality you are cluttering up the thread. This is the only forum the admins/mods don't police the "For Sale" sub-forum, and it gets frustrating sorting through all the "Cool knife!" and "I wish I had the funds!" posts. Can we just limit the posts to "PM sent" or requests for more specs to help out potential buyers?

I'm not trying to sound like an *******, but in the end it helps everyone out. Please don't take offense if you've been guilty of this, as I'm sure we all have done it at one point.

Jason

mkriggen
12-05-2013, 12:17 AM
:plus1:

echerub
12-05-2013, 12:37 AM
I actually do "patrol" the BST quite a bit. Of course I've noticed the number of GLWS, great knife, and wish-I-had-the-funds posts. My take on it is that these supportive posts reflect the community nature of KKF and the ties between members that go beyond just the transactions. I'll admit that it's one-sided in that supportive posts are allowed but negative posts in the BST would not be.

It did not occur to me that the supportive comments and occasional side-track discussions would be an issue.

I welcome comments from both sides of the matter here. This really isn't something that has ever been brought up for discussion either within the community as a whole or amongst the moderator team. Comments here will help us all gauge where folks are at regarding commentary in the BST.

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 12:41 AM
I've brought it up to Dave before in PM. I know it's been discussed among mods in private, but no consensus has come of it. Post away in every other thread, but leave the sanctity of the "For Sale" sub-forum so members don't have to sort through useless comments.

99Limited
12-05-2013, 01:02 AM
I don't see what's the big deal about the additional comments people make in a B/S/T thread. It's been going on since day one and that's been almost three years. Now I do agree that if the OP made a post which changed to their original offer and it's buried down amongst the peanut gallery posts, well, it could be missed. It would be nice if the OP could change their original post at any time rather than having to make secondary posts to indicate adjustments were made to the original offer.

I guess I'll play along and stop with the oohs and ahhs comments for the time being.

brainsausage
12-05-2013, 01:11 AM
I've always just thought of them as being nice ways of saying: 'bump'

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 01:18 AM
I don't see what's the big deal about the additional comments people make in a B/S/T thread. It's been going on since day one and that's been almost three years. Now I do agree that if the OP made a post which changed to their original offer and it's buried down amongst the peanut gallery posts, well, it could be missed. It would be nice if the OP could change their original post at any time rather than having to make secondary posts to indicate adjustments were made to the original offer.

I guess I'll play along and stop with the oohs and ahhs comments for the time being.

You make a really good point, the thread starter should have the ability to edit their posts so they can inform new readers the updated price or whether it's been sold. Included should be the ability to change the title to "SOLD". Maybe this would be a happy compromise to the issue? After it's been sold, chat away.

franzb69
12-05-2013, 01:19 AM

it does help =D

agreed

99Limited
12-05-2013, 01:40 AM
You make a really good point, the thread starter should have the ability to edit their posts so they can inform new readers the updated price or whether it's been sold. Included should be the ability to change the title to "SOLD". Maybe this would be a happy compromise to the issue? After it's been sold, chat away.

The reason I brought this up is I'm a member of accurateshooter dot com. This site has a huge B/S/T sub forum, offering more stuff for sale in one month than KKF does in a year. The reason I point out the volume is that the OP is allowed to make changes to their post and I have never seen any problems because of that.

chinacats
12-05-2013, 03:06 AM

+1 though I do agree that allowing the OP to edit his for sale posts would be nice so that you can tell from the first post whether the knife is still for sale.

Cheers and GLWS

apicius9
12-05-2013, 03:17 AM
I am seeing that on a fotoforum also, changing the first post in the sales forum makes this much easier. No idea what the software will allow. I admit to occasionally posting in sales threads, but usually with the intent to bump what I find a great buy or to vouch for the quality of the product if I know it. But I can see how this might lead to cluttered threats. Never saw it as a major issue, but with the mentioned edit option it should become a non-issue.

Stefan

chuck239
12-05-2013, 04:40 AM
I have to be honest. I agree with Jason. The 10 posts in a for sale thread saying "sweet knife" or a drool face or wish I had more money... do get a bit annoying. It would be nice to see them just go for sale and have updates on whats sold, what's not sold, price updates, PM's sent and so on and so forth. I do feel like there are a lot of people just making their post count higher by randomly commenting on for sale threads. Sorry if it sounds like complaining, just find it annoying when selling or buying something and random people just keep posting garbage in the thread.

It would be nice if you could just update the original post but I don't know if that is possible.

-Chuck

icanhaschzbrgr
12-05-2013, 05:08 AM
+1 to this. Yet, if OP has ability to edit hist post, it would probably be just the equivalent of bump. The only thing is maybe it needs to be limited by policy not to edit(bump) original post more then once in day/3days or so.

sudsy9977
12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
It is actually a giants the rules on other forums to post anything other than a question about the sale or something related to it....u can get an infraction for it.....I can't stand cluttered threads plus it's not fair because it bumps up your thread....while others might get lost....ryan

greasedbullet
12-05-2013, 11:38 AM
I think the good thing about the bump system is that it keeps the currently active sales at the top of the page and the sold stuff gets pushed to the back. But once again this is something that can be solved by adding an editing system and a "sold" tag.

ChuckTheButcher
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think it is necissarily a bad thing. I'll admit post that are just GLWS and smiley face are a little annoying but actual thoughts on the item can be very helpful. Not only does it keep the thread active, it also lets people know what their peers think. It's nice to see post about things from peoples who's opinion you respect. In particular for people who are new to the knife world. If some one post that they have that item as well and love it, that gives other people insight on the item. Some way to tag items as sold or not would also be extremely helpful.

NO ChoP!
12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't mean any disrespect but I don't think it is necissarily a bad thing. I'll admit post that are just GLWS and smiley face are a little annoying but actual thoughts on the item can be very helpful. Not only does it keep the thread active, it also lets people know what their peers think. It's nice to see post about things from peoples who's opinion you respect. In particular for people who are new to the knife world. If some one post that they have that item as well and love it, that gives other people insight on the item. Some way to tag items as sold or not would also be extremely helpful.

+1

I dont think it's malicious. Most probably just think they're being helpful. And do people really care about post counts that much?

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 05:23 PM
+1

I dont think it's malicious. Most probably just think they're being helpful. And do people really care about post counts that much?

I don't anyone mentioned anything about being malicious. But as Ryan said, while you may be giving a helpful bump, you are also pushing other seller posts down, not helpful.

Also, as Ryan said most forums only allow very specific comments or the thread may be locked. This is to be fair to all sellers/buyers and to not clutter up the thread. Granted, they tend to be bigger forums with more items be sold.

As for posts, you must not get out of this forum much. One forum I visit, they have threads just to boost post counts. People associate post count with seniority/knowledge. Rediculous, I know.

Jim
12-05-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a slightly different take on it than you do Jason. This is not policy or anything official- just my opinion. The BST is not intended as an outlet or a profit center. Its part of a discussion forum and I see anyones productive comments in that forum as OK. Most items sell in a matter of hours at worst, so I see no foul in where a thread lands on the page. Again its not about the sale so much as the interaction of the community at large for me. Of course if someone is being abusive or padding their post count we always take action. I guess you could say the less businesslike it is the better I like it. :bliss:

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Jim, your forum, your rules. I'm a type A personality and structured based, so hence why I view it the way I do. As I've conceded, this is not a huge forum like many out there so the traffic is not as significant. An edit or flagging feature would solve the problem for PIA's like me.

Jim
12-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Jason I am just a member here like you- I respect that you would prefer it otherwise. I am just joining into the conversation with another perspective.

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I respect your opinion, especially with your experience as a moderator in multiple forums. The point I was making is that i'm a PIA.:groucho:

99Limited
12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
... The point I was making is that i'm a PIA.:groucho:

I'm glad you publicly admitted to being a PIA. Now I can go take care of my bleeding tongue. :razz:

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-05-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm glad you publicly admitted to being a PIA. Now I can go take care of my bleeding tongue. :razz:

Say how you feel, we are all friends here.

bahamaroot
12-06-2013, 01:11 AM
The OP in B/S/T needs to be able to edit their first post or the non-relevant post need to stop. It does get annoying sifting through the garbage. JMO

ThEoRy
12-06-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't care if others post in bst threads as my mind ciphers out anything that doesn't say "spf" and "sold" anyway so.....

greasedbullet
12-06-2013, 01:35 AM
OK. So as far as I can tell all of the mentioned problems can be solved by having the BST poster be able to edit the original post and by having a "SOLD" tag option for the BST main page.

So how do we go about doing this? I know these things are doable, but how?

ChuckTheButcher
12-06-2013, 01:36 AM
I agree with ThEoRy. I've never had a real problem figuring it out.

brainsausage
12-06-2013, 01:46 AM
People like to talk. A forum is about talking. Lots of people talking. Sometimes you have to filter. It's really not that hard. But does take a little practice. I barely even notice the sound of someone saying the word Bieber anymore!

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-06-2013, 02:03 AM
People don't like change, they prefer the status quo. Improvement is not needed, got it.

99Limited
12-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Say how you feel, we are all friends here.

Hey, us AF guys have to stick together.

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-06-2013, 02:38 AM
Hey, us AF guys have to stick together.

Exactly, which is why your input is appreciated.

apicius9
12-06-2013, 02:49 AM
I really have no idea

apicius9
What people get out

apicius9
Of boosting their post count.

Stefan

Stumblinman
12-06-2013, 03:22 AM
Last I remember there isn't a feature to let only the thread starter edit their post. I think the whole section would be open to let anyone edit their own posts. This may not be desirable and I may be wrong. I don't see a problem with how it's run but I do feel the frustration at times when something is sold but the thread is still active with oos and ahs I have to sift through to find out its not avail.

toek
12-06-2013, 03:51 AM
For me its just fine with comments and all but i agree with most that a flag for sold and the option to edit first post would be sweet. I sometimes have a hard time figuring out which items are sold and not if the seller posts multiple items in one thread.

Chef Niloc
12-06-2013, 04:51 AM
+1

Chef Niloc
12-06-2013, 04:52 AM
:happymug:

Chef Niloc
12-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Hay why is my post count not going up?

Chef Niloc
12-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Agggg how am I ever going to hit 1000?
I don't want people thinking I'm unknowledgeable!

marc4pt0
12-06-2013, 05:41 AM
I think I saw someone refer to other's posts in these "problematic" BST threads as garbage. That's a little harsh in my opinion, and maybe a little offensive. I admit it does clutter a bit, and I will also admit that I'm guilty of contributing to this offensive problem myself from time to time. Really though, how hard is it to just scroll down the screen past the "garbage"?
I'm all for constructive criticism, but I think it's a bit tasteless putting one's self in an ivory tower and dispersing comments like that. Just my humble opinion.
Or Maybe I'm just a little grumpy for not being able to sleep at the moment....

Lefty
12-06-2013, 05:58 AM
I'm guilty of it, and do get annoyed with all of the useless posts when it's the same thing over and over again, but I just keep scrolling and find what "matters" in the thread. I'm sure I've missed important posts as a result of these types of posts, but I like them. We need to keep this place friendly and fun. It's what separates us from the other forums on the net. Well, that and the fact that we know our stuff. :D

icanhaschzbrgr
12-06-2013, 06:07 AM
I'm willing to donate new mouse with decent scrolling wheel to help fighting with all those "+1" comments :)

chefcomesback
12-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I usually block the users that I know that only contribute with " I wish I had the money " to each BST thread.

Lefty
12-06-2013, 10:03 AM
I don't get the blocking thing...I wonder how many people have blocked me.

Jim
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
I don't get the blocking thing...I wonder how many people have blocked me.

What did Tom say?

Chef Niloc
12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Does blocking someone hide there posts from view? If not I can't see it helping at all?
Tom by my last count 755 members have blocked you and Jim has been blocked by 54,:D

Chuckles
12-06-2013, 12:17 PM
This thread alone kept me from drooling on that Mario that was just in BST. But I agree with Tom on keeping it friendly and fun. I wouldn't want to be a clown in the middle of an otherwise totally serious group. :clown:

toddnmd
12-06-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't think it takes very long to read "Nice knife. GLWS," or something like that. I guess some people consider that clutter, but I skim through posts regularly if they're not that relevant to me.

For some knives, it's hard to find much information or many reviews. I find it helpful when people (particularly those that have owned or used the item) comment about a knife, a good deal, etc.

There was another thread discussing a way to mark items as sold, and I think Dave (or someone) said allowing the editing feature would have to be site-wide, not just for the OP or in B/S/T.

And it's totally legitimate for a seller to lower the price on the knife, thus bumping it to the top of the list, since that's new information (that is to buyers' advantage).

It's the six months later "Is this knife still available?" posts that annoy me.

Dave Martell
12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
So it appears that there is a function in the software to allow for thread starters to edit their own posts but this is advised against using since it can defeat/over rule moderation.

I have found some info about flagging/tagging threads but for the life of me I can't understand or implement it.

At this point Austin would have to get involved, or get a programmer involved, to come up with a solution to the flagging issue should he desire to go in that direction. There's just not a simple solution that I can see from where I'm sitting. :(

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-06-2013, 03:38 PM
The butthurt is strong in this thread. Present a valid and constructive argument for a very small segment in the forum, and people think I am suggesting the community be shut down. Good grief.

quantumcloud509
12-06-2013, 04:16 PM
I wish I had the money to buy this thread, but my grandma died and I have a hernia in my leg socket so gotta take care of those things first.

Sorry.

GLWS!

toddnmd
12-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I see a range of opinions, with people having different views, and providing some rationale for them (along with some humor).

Glad you brought it up, and glad various people added a range of things to consider.

KKFAdmin
12-06-2013, 05:39 PM
If you want a thread closed due to sale, or an edit made, please report it, and as the reason include the edits.

I don't like having the edit option on B/S/T threads as they can be altered and misrepresented.

We could develop a rule for the bumps, but any software designed to deal with it would only make it more difficult for legit questions and members to post to it.

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Austin,

This is why we have moderators, no need for software. The good thing about this site is there are very few trolls, so misrepresentation would be minimal. As I said to Jim though, your site, your rules.

Jason

Lefty
12-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Jason, I for one wasn't getting my skirt in a bunch, and I hope the others weren't either. It's just a matter of difference of opinion. I fully understand you and agree, in part. With that being said, Chuckles, Jim, Niloc, and Quantum justice me laugh my ass off. :) Oh, and so did you; I like the butthurt comment. Haha

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-07-2013, 03:11 AM
No doubt brother. Diversity is the key to strength.

Bill13
12-13-2013, 11:09 AM
JAson,

Just noticed this thread which is funny because my last post was on the BST forum where a nikiri was up for sale. I commented a little about how I believe people think they would neverrarely use one -it's too specialized etc. I wanted to let people know mine gets used a lot by everyone in the family, unlike some of the larger gyoto's we own. I posted it in part to help the seller and to spread the nikiri love:D

I agree with you that sometimes the drool and glws gets a little old and usually doesn't add anything. Although if someone like Pensacola Tiger says that's a great knife it means something, esp. to those of us still new to this

The only reason I bought my first knife on BST was because of the comments Justine0505 made. He educated me and as I was a new member with very few posts and even less knowledge it gave me the confidence needed to make the purchase.

Thanks for bring this up though, with six pages of comments it was obviously something that needs/needed to be talked about.

Bill

NO ChoP!
12-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Does anyone else see Austins giant Texas silhouette avatar as intimidating? It's like Chuck Norris waiting to delve justice onto you. Austin; Texas Forum Ranger!

NO ChoP!
12-13-2013, 12:15 PM
This thread = :popcorn:

bkultra
12-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Does anyone else see Austins giant Texas silhouette avatar as intimidating? It's like Chuck Norris waiting to delve justice onto you. Austin; Texas Forum Ranger!

Everything is bigger in Texas, even their avatars.

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-14-2013, 12:57 AM
JAson,

Just noticed this thread which is funny because my last post was on the BST forum where a nikiri was up for sale. I commented a little about how I believe people think they would neverrarely use one -it's too specialized etc. I wanted to let people know mine gets used a lot by everyone in the family, unlike some of the larger gyoto's we own. I posted it in part to help the seller and to spread the nikiri love:D

I agree with you that sometimes the drool and glws gets a little old and usually doesn't add anything. Although if someone like Pensacola Tiger says that's a great knife it means something, esp. to those of us still new to this

The only reason I bought my first knife on BST was because of the comments Justine0505 made. He educated me and as I was a new member with very few posts and even less knowledge it gave me the confidence needed to make the purchase.

Thanks for bring this up though, with six pages of comments it was obviously something that needs/needed to be talked about.

Bill

You make a good point Bill. Comments like that are helpful to the thread and is not what I am speaking of. I'm glad he helped you, and some of us old members (going back to the "other" forum) enjoy adding helpful comments. The magic of google and the search button are miraculous though.

brainsausage
12-14-2013, 01:42 AM
A forum to me should be a little more than just info. I'm very pragmatic, and hard nosed when it comes to research. But it's always nice when someone helps lighten the mood a little. If this place was all about specs and hard data, it'd lose the human element that has led me to make a couple of awesome off forum buddies.

ecchef
12-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Some pretty valid points here.
I'm guilty of posting the occasional bump comment, not to help anyone 'go to the top of the list' but to show my appreciation for a nice piece of craftsmanship; particularly if it's something produced by one of our own. But not always.
I would also like to see an option for the OP to flag a b/s/t thread as "sold", but only if it keeps all post content intact. If it is decided that the moderators should flag posts, that's fine...but we don't want to chase down every seller to confirm a sale. You guys gotta work with us.
I use b/s/t for research when I am considering a purchase, so I would really miss the ability to view those old posts.
The fluff posts don't bother me that much. The 6 months later "is this still available?" do.
Todd pretty much stated how I feel in his post.

:2cents:

KKFAdmin
12-14-2013, 05:29 PM

You shouldn't. Texas is filled with a ton of nothing. It's big, but most of it is empty. Sure it's a formidable empty full of rattle snakes and mountain lions ready to eat you, along with fire ants and scorpions just for fun, but there are very few people.

Of course the people that are there are all heavily armed but they are super friendly.

Crothcipt
12-14-2013, 08:02 PM
You shouldn't. Texas is filled with a ton of nothing. It's big, but most of it is empty. Sure it's a formidable empty full of rattle snakes and mountain lions ready to eat you, along with fire ants and scorpions just for fun, but there are very few people.

Of course the people that are there are all heavily armed but most are super friendly.

fixed that for you. :)

ecchef
12-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Even Chuck Norris is afraid to come here....

Jim
12-14-2013, 10:17 PM

Of course the people that are there are all heavily armed but they are super friendly.
BBQ- don't forget the BBQ.

brainsausage
12-14-2013, 10:48 PM

DONT EVER FORGET THE BBQ!!!

ThEoRy
12-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Even Chuck Norris is afraid to come here....

Chuck Norris came to Jersey once. Once.

bkultra
12-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Ill agree the BBQ, but only the pecan smokers not the mesquite

KKFAdmin
12-16-2013, 12:50 PM

I can't with BBQ joints every 6 blocks.

ChuckTheButcher
12-16-2013, 01:10 PM

+1. Mesquite can be way to strong. I still don't understand what that map of Jersey is supposed to be.

Crothcipt
12-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Jersey.

Jim
12-16-2013, 06:47 PM

+1. Mesquite can be way to strong. I still don't understand what that map of Jersey is supposed to be.

Post oak is nice with the beef- very simialr to the white oak up here in the northeast.

bkultra
12-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Post oak is nice with the beef- very simialr to the white oak up here in the northeast.

I use this from time to time myself. You can buy very good quality wood here. I'll link to their post oak but all their wood is the best quality. Highly used in the competition scene.

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/postoak.html