PDA

View Full Version : An Update On Orders

Marko Tsourkan
12-11-2013, 07:05 PM
First of all, I want to apologize for delay in response to email and PMs.

My father had a surgery and is in critical condition, and I have been a bit distraught in these past couple of weeks, spending a lot of time on the phone with my family, doctors. Haven't been very productive. Depending on the situation, might have to go to Ukraine early in January. Also, the fact that the whole county is in an upheaval just adds to the anxiety.

I have put a lot of work into restructuring my shop in the past 6 weeks, patching the holed where I have been the least efficient. The process is already much more streamlined and should result in a higher output and shorter wait time. I will be offering knives in several geometries, so there will be something for everybody - workhorses, lasers, single bevel knives, etc. Restructuring will also help me to keep the prices at the current level, despite the fact that I am a bit overwhelmed with the demand, but more than anything I would like to keep my knives affordable.

I got some work done in the past couple of days and will be getting some finished knives out this week.

I also realized that I need to slightly change the design in my magnetic strips - making the strips wider on the face. Narrow face result is a slight movement of the knives on the strip. I am trying to figure out whether to redo the ones that I completed but haven't shipped out to do entirely new strips.

I will try to get most of the orders by Christmas, but if some of you would like a refund, please let me know.

Once again, I apologize and will do what I can to make up for the wait.

Thank you,

Marko

Bef
12-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Hi Marko,

Thanks for the update. I sent you a few e-mails and PMs in the last weeks. Didn't knew about your situation... Knowing what's going on, I will refrain from sending another batch of reminders ;-)

Being in a remote country during hard times is not easy...

Best wishes for your father recovery and your family.

Bef

Pensacola Tiger
12-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Marko,

My thoughts are with you and your father.

Rick

Marko Tsourkan
12-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys.

I normally keep things like these private, but I though that letting your know what's going on, as it will help to clear up the air and explain my limited or delayed response on email or PMs.

Marko

pleue
12-11-2013, 08:15 PM
hoping for the best for your family

chefcomesback
12-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Best wishes to you and to your family Marko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Lefty
12-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Marko, being an owner of yor work, and seeing a few pieces, I will just say that your work is worth the wait. Do what you need I do to be there for your family. Everyone will be here waiting when you get back. :)

My thoughts are with you guys.

bkultra
12-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your father and hope everything gets better. Keep my knife for as long as you need and focus on your family.

mc2442
12-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Best wishes in your Dad's recovery!

Johnny.B.Good
12-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Marko,

Sorry to hear this.

Take care,

Johnny

GLE1952
12-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Family first Marko.

Glen

Aphex
12-12-2013, 01:08 AM
As far as i'm concerned, don't even think about rushing the knife on my behalf. Family comes first in these very difficult situations, allways. The knives can wait until your ready, and i'm shure everybody would agree and support you..

T

cookinstuff
12-12-2013, 01:14 AM
Hopefully everything with your father turns out ok, good luck and best wishes!

sachem allison
12-12-2013, 01:52 AM
been there a few times myself, May things get better.

scotchef38
12-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Go see your father regardless.I know what it is like to be far away from your family.Nobody will worry about waiting a bit longer under the circumstances.

icanhaschzbrgr
12-12-2013, 05:13 AM
Best wishes to your father Marko. Knives can wait.
I hope crisis in Ukraine would resolve in the nearest future. Thanks for informing us. I do appreciate it when people value they family higher then other things in life. All the best

stereo.pete
12-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Thoughts and prayers going out for your Pops, hang in there Marko.

DeepCSweede
12-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Marko,

My prayers will go out for your father. Waiting time for me becomes irrelevant when it comes to family issues - family is more important.

Fran Rendina
12-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Marko, our prayers are with you and your family, hope your Dad is doing better.

Matus
12-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Marko, all the best to you and your family, I hope your Dad will get well soon. Waiting a little longer is absolutely no issue - take all the time you and your dearest ones need.

orange
12-12-2013, 11:01 PM
sorry to hear that and hope for the best to your family.

Dream Burls
12-12-2013, 11:47 PM
So sorry to hear about your dad. My prayers are with him and you.

Bill13
12-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Marko,

The best of wishes go out to you. I can totally relate to having a parent that are not doing well and boy does it make it hard to focus on anything.

apathetic
12-13-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear about that. I hope all goes for the best in this situation

ecchef
12-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Like everyone else said... family first. Best wishes for your father.

evanjohnson
12-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Prayers to you and your family.

chinacats
12-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Best wishes for your father. Enjoy family and life, work will be there when you are ready.

Marko Tsourkan
12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for your best wishes.

A quick update. My father is out of intensive care and is in stable condition, though it looks like he might need another surgery. I will find it tomorrow.

In any event I am back in the shop working, getting back into the rhythm.

I again apologize for a lack or response on email and PMs (box is full). I will clear it tonight and try to respond to all who contacted me.

Thanks again,

Marko

Mrmnms
12-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you

mpukas
12-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Best wishes for you and your family Marko. Take care of those close to you first, and everything else will into place in time. Be well.

Marko Tsourkan
12-17-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks again guys.

Marko Tsourkan
12-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks again for giving me the time I needed to sort things out. I am back at work at whole capacity and am completing and shipping orders out.

Marko

Flyingpigg
12-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Please enjoy your Christmas instead of pushing yourself to fulfill any obligations.

icanhaschzbrgr
12-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Please enjoy your Christmas instead of pushing yourself to fulfill any obligations.
+1

Merry Christmas!

Marko Tsourkan
12-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks folks.

I am cooking a dinner today and will be cooking a dinner for the New Year's Eve, but with the exception of the 25th, I will be working the rest of the remaining year and then roll into a New Year. Hopefully I will break through soon.

M

Marko Tsourkan
12-29-2013, 08:48 PM
A quick update.

Have a few knives finished (prepaid orders for ready made or practice) and am sending these out. Also will send out strops.

My supplier of felt is out of the kind that I use and has some on order (should receive it shortly), so there is a delay with producing magnetically lined felt pads and strops. Leather is on order and should arrive shortly, so it could be used as a substitute.

Knives that I haven't started yet, some 225mm and others, I can offer a western handle choice to make up for the wait. I mentioned in a western handle thread that I will take a break from making wa handles and will concentrate on western to shorten the learning curve, but so far I am pretty satisfied with my work, so 2-4 western handles should allow me to figure out all details of the process and iron out the wrinkles, so to speak.

Thanks,
Marko

Flyingpigg
12-30-2013, 03:10 AM
I've heard too many good things about your D style wa-handles so I don't mind waiting.

Matus
12-31-2013, 05:39 AM
I will gladly wait for a western handle :)

ecchef
12-31-2013, 06:49 AM
Marko, I don't know how far along mine is in the pipeline, but if you want to do a western handle...go for it. I'd opt for bronze bolsters if I had a choice.

Bef
01-02-2014, 11:24 AM
I will clear it tonight and try to respond to all who contacted me.

Hi Marko,

I'm interested in buying a cutting board, strop + base, Masamoto refinish + rehandle and ready-made gyuto. I've been trying to get in touch with you in the last few weeks. Maybe my e-mails are lost in some spam filter or blocked in some way...

What would be the best way to contact you and make sure that you receive my messages?

Regards,

bef

Marko Tsourkan
01-06-2014, 06:49 PM
At this point I am stopping taking any new orders for custom work due to a work load and existing obligations.

There will be some ready-made knives for sale periodically, but majority of my time will go to fulfilling paid orders (practice and ready-made) and custom orders from the list.

I got myself in a much better position production-wise in the past 3 months, I addressed all areas where I have been inefficient, but still filling in orders has been slow, so I need to close the book until I get to a better place. How long it will be I don't know. I am back to a one-man shop as of Monday next week.

I mentioned before that I will honor all custom orders that I agreed to and I also will offer incentives (like changing wa to western where possible) and doing some gratis work.

The road has been bumpy, I am not very good at multitasking, but I count on your understanding and patience. The more I do this, the more are new things to learn.

Thank you,

Marko

Marko Tsourkan
01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
A really good news (the reason for starting this thread) is that my father's health has improved considerably. After 31 days in a hospital and after loosing 30lb in the first 11 days, he bounced back and has been improving. This has allowed me to push my trip to late April early May and concentrate on work instead. A huge relief for me, as it was one of the worst timing.

cclin
01-06-2014, 07:53 PM
congratulations, thatís fantastic news! Wishing your father a speedy recovery!!

mpukas
01-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Good luck on getting caught up Marko, and best wishes for your father's full recovery.