PDA

View Full Version : HHH Knives 240mm AEB-L forum thread!!

HHH Knives
12-19-2013, 04:24 PM
OK guys. I know alot of knives will be delivered this week and more next week!! Im super excited to see photos and hear you thoughts as are many others. Todd suggested I start this thread where we can share and discuss the knives!

So..

Here we go. Post your stuff here and I will check back often as answer questions etc.

God Bless and Merry Christmas.
Randy

Ill start it with a picture of the one in my kitchen!! :)

cheflarge
12-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Hmmm....... a couple of those look kinda familiar to me??? :stinker:

HHH Knives
12-19-2013, 04:38 PM
They should. One came from you. one from Chef Son. and the stag handle I picked up here on the forum. The HHH is the one we cut with when you were here last weekend! :)

cheflarge
12-19-2013, 05:01 PM
And what a beauty it was to cut with! :thumbup: :)

split0101
12-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Delivery came in today!

Randy, I love the attention to detail by adding the red and green confetti to the knife box, perfect for the Christmas season. :)

My initial thoughts are wow. The rosewood is amazing and its very comfortable. Overall Im super impressed. Nice work Randy, you definitely delivered one great looking knife.

No time to cut anything today and I'll get a choil shot when I get a little more time. Right now I have to round up my gremlins and get them ready for bed.

Some quick pictures.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2824/11457796995_ae0fcbbbe6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45610915@N08/11457796995)

Close Up

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/11457840024_3aac277cd4.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45610915@N08/11457840024)

Handle Detail

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7435/11457966763_66cedc57ed.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/45610915@N08/11457966763)

tomsch
12-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Lighting is pretty bad so I'll need to do some more tomorrow but here is #18. I did a very quick touch-up with fine stones and it will take hair off my arm without even touching the skin. Put it to use on onions and carrots tonight. Love the balance and the way it handles. No stiction on the carrots at all and it just glides through food. Will do much more for tomorrow and over the weekend since I'll be cooking for my wife's birthday party. This knife is going to see a LOT of use! The darker rosewood looks great!

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/tomsch63/Kitchen%20Knives/IMG_0717_zps9d47ff38.jpg
http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/tomsch63/Kitchen%20Knives/IMG_0713_zps2d9903fb.jpg

HHH Knives
12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
AWESOME SAUCE!!!!!

Great to see that these are making it to there new homes!! :)

Love the photos. Keep em coming!!!!!

Im gona select a few of the photos for use on the web site and whatnot!! So please get creative and send or post em up so I can download and share!!!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
12-19-2013, 11:27 PM
I did take a few pictures of the heel when the knives were here!!

I for some reason forgot to add them to this thread! :)

Heres the heel and spine shots!

crunchy
12-20-2013, 01:05 AM
This tread is making me so jealous that I don't have mine yet!!!

JackD
12-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Mine is stuck somewhere in USPS limbo - was scheduled for delivery today, but no record of it leaving Marlette. Oh well. My wife says I would have had to wait for Christmas anyway.

HHH Knives
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
There all heading your way guys! Hang tight and USPS will deliver!

:D

God Bless
Randy

Talim
12-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Mine semms to be stuck in Marlette. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday and unless USPS makes another delivery then nothing today either.

skiajl6297
12-20-2013, 05:38 PM
Mine was scheduled yesterday, but is sitting on my doorstep waiting for me when I get home. Won't be opened until Christmas though and isn't for me. Maybe I'll just take a peek to be sure it looks right - wouldn't want to give the wife a knife that I haven't personally inspected first... :whistling:

HHH Knives
12-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, Im sorry that some of these have been delayed. You know its out of my hands once I drop them at the USPS. I am hopeful they will get them delivered in time. even if the tracking is whack..

:D

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
12-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Did anyone get a chance to do some cutting. or get there box today?

LeperoftheFaith
12-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I got mine today, #29. Will be using it at work tomorrow. Really happy with the two-tone color pattern on the handle I got. Beautiful. Thanks, Randy.

HHH Knives
12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
AWESOME! Glad your pleased. After you get a chance to take it for a test drive. Please share your thoghts and stuff. Either here or send me a PM. :)

Blessings
Randy

tomsch
12-20-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry for the guys that their wife has intercepted it as a Christmas gift! :) I took mine for a spin tonight to cut up some onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Very impressed with the balance and how nimble it feels. Typically takes a while before I'm comfortable with a new knife that I can use it without a focus of not cutting my finger off. Prep for tonight was quick and easy with this knife! Love it!!

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 12:08 AM
I'm sorry for the guys that their wife has intercepted it as a Christmas gift! :) I took mine for a spin tonight to cut up some onions, garlic, and bell peppers. Very impressed with the balance and how nimble it feels. Typically takes a while before I'm comfortable with a new knife that I can use it without a focus of not cutting my finger off. Prep for tonight was quick and easy with this knife! Love it!!

Good to hear Tomsch. :hungry::knife::thumbsup:

Thanks and God Bless
Randy

420layersofdank
12-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Randy, first of all i want to say thank you for offering such a beautiful and affordable knife for kkf. After relentless attempts with my post office next to work, ( soo convenient ) i finally obtained my new baby. I minced a couple shallots and did a potato test and was pretty impressed with the convex grind. Although i didnt have the chance to put it to my jks 3k, i was very grateful to finally own a hhh.Now as far as comfort goes, it is probably one of the most comfortable handles i own. Overall, a truly exciting experience. I cant wait to sharpen her up ! Randy Haas , your the effing man !!!!!!!

marc4pt0
12-21-2013, 08:07 AM
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a520/marc4pt0/20131220_135309_zps525f65de.jpg

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Randy, first of all i want to say thank you for offering such a beautiful and affordable knife for kkf. After relentless attempts with my post office next to work, ( soo convenient ) i finally obtained my new baby. I minced a couple shallots and did a potato test and was pretty impressed with the convex grind. Although i didnt have the chance to put it to my jks 3k, i was very grateful to finally own a hhh.Now as far as comfort goes, it is probably one of the most comfortable handles i own. Overall, a truly exciting experience. I cant wait to sharpen her up ! Randy Haas , your the effing man !!!!!!!

Thank you guys for all your support and encouragement. No doubt the direction and function of my knives as well as these are a direct result of working with you guys as well as reading and learning from your forum posts.

Im Glad to hear yours made it and cant wait to see and hear more from you all!

Merry Christmas!
Randy

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Marc. lucky number 44 :) Great photo.

Thanks!

brianlsx
12-21-2013, 02:10 PM
I'm getting very jealous here and it's because of all the guys that have received their knife! Hahah.

Usps still says my package is at marlette. Guess I've just got to wait here patiently.

Anyway, kudos to randy for being able to keep within the timeline you've given!

Cheers!

WildBoar
12-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Loud banging on the front door this morning at 7:30 am. Went down and opened door, and found the USPS box on the doorstep. Hope to use it this evening.

NO ChoP!
12-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Mine arrived today..intercepted by the wifey and went under the tree, so no pics. :(

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm getting very jealous here and it's because of all the guys that have received their knife! Hahah.

Usps still says my package is at marlette. Guess I've just got to wait here patiently.

Anyway, kudos to randy for being able to keep within the timeline you've given!

Cheers!

Ill check USPS Monday to make sure all of the boxes have left. But I really do think they have and they are now in the system and getting sent all over the WORLD!

Sorry about any delays. and tracking issues etc not alot I can do about it. :(

God Bless and Merry Christmas to ya
Randy

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Loud banging on the front door this morning at 7:30 am. Went down and opened door, and found the USPS box on the doorstep. Hope to use it this evening.

Pictures and initial thoughts and input when ya get a chance!! :)

God BLess
Randy

skiajl6297
12-21-2013, 03:46 PM
I took a peek and it is spectacular. Kind of wanted to regift to myself. Will definitely report back after Xmas.

HHH Knives
12-21-2013, 04:16 PM
I took a peek and it is spectacular. Kind of wanted to regift to myself. Will definitely report back after Xmas.

LOL, You know.. Theres still a few of the 100 numbered ones left. on the web site. :) Shameless PLUG! Link in my signature line. ;)

I dont think I have posted this anywhere yet. BUT.. There are also a limited number of 240mm knives with different handle materials and mosaic pins etc. I will be listing these individually as I can. and or as then sell. Ill probably make these availible only to KKF members and then if no one snags it in a week I will then offer on my web page and the interweb!

God Bless
Randy

RGNY
12-21-2013, 07:54 PM
#28 checking in.

only got to slice some tomatoes for sandwiches and strip steak for dinner today. in pinch grip it is the most comfortable knife i've encountered. my go-to was a Global GF33 and this knife is lighter and "quicker" at any given task. the thinner stock makes it light and precise. did not have to touch up the edge upon arrival.

so far very pleased and it will be the primary tool in my limited arsenal....

tomsch
12-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Did a little slicing comparison to a couple other knives that I typically use..... whipped through some mushrooms like lightning!

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/tomsch63/Kitchen%20Knives/DSC_1045_zps2e08ce28.jpg

keithsaltydog
12-21-2013, 08:18 PM
#22 I am impressed.Always wanted a Randy Haas handle,did not expect factory handle to be up to par,but it is comfortable & fit & finish on mine anyway is very good.The blade profile is designed by one who knows what works.Long flatter profile with a gentle rise at the tip.

This must be one of the nicest blades L&G has put out.You can tell thought went into the design & grind.Not just a slapped together knife thick behind the edge.

Talim
12-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Finally, #37 was delivered today and it was worth all the wait. The handle is so beautiful and so comfortable. Fit and finish is nearly perfect. I was surprised at how light it was. Wasn't able to use it much but so far it goes through potatoes like it was nothing. I'd post pictures but only got crappy pics so probably not worth posting anyway. Thanks Randy and L&G, you guys did a great job on these.

V1P
12-22-2013, 01:09 AM
Randy, are all the Haas' kickass bladesmith/burl junky/shipping expert?

Ferry

Crothcipt
12-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Well # 32 showed up today. Nice marbling err.... burl colors on the handle. will post pics soon.

bahamaroot
12-22-2013, 01:46 AM
So if all the numbered 240 gyutos don't sell do the winners of the giveaway get numbered knives?:D

jakuda
12-22-2013, 02:24 AM
The handle had some minor fit and finish issues. Asymmetrical left-right cuts at the recessed area. Cross-grain sanding marks visible. etc...

Edge was good out of the box, but didn't do any serious testing with it. Overall pleased with the product for the price.

thanks!

HHH Knives
12-22-2013, 02:36 AM
Great to hear many of these arrived, safe and sound!

Thanks for the input.:) and feedback!!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
12-22-2013, 02:38 AM
So if all the numbered 240 gyutos don't sell do the winners of the giveaway get numbered knives?:D

After Christmas Ill be sending out the winning knives. I hope to be able to send numbered. Waiting on last batch from L&G and will know for sure once they arrive.

Stay tuned. Ill take some photos of the 2 knives an share them on the Give Away Thread before I ship them out.

God Bless
Randy

HHH Knives
12-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Finally, #37 was delivered today and it was worth all the wait. The handle is so beautiful and so comfortable. Fit and finish is nearly perfect. I was surprised at how light it was. Wasn't able to use it much but so far it goes through potatoes like it was nothing. I'd post pictures but only got crappy pics so probably not worth posting anyway. Thanks Randy and L&G, you guys did a great job on these.

Awesome. Great to hear yours made it out of Marlette, even if tracking didnt show it had! ;)

Post them pictures!!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
12-22-2013, 02:53 AM
The handle had some minor fit and finish issues. Asymmetrical left-right cuts at the recessed area. Cross-grain sanding marks visible. etc...

Edge was good out of the box, but didn't do any serious testing with it. Overall pleased with the product for the price.

thanks!

Thanks for the note. I did see some fit and finish issues. Most were as you said. There is room for improvement. I have spoken with L&G about and this. They assure me as we move forward the fit and finish will be better.

The one thing that I will say about L&G is they are really trying, refining there processes. There willing to change to meet our needs, requirements etc. That tells me they care. There gona be refining the steps and get these small thing fixed as we move forward..

Merry Christmas and God Bless you and yours
Randy

keithsaltydog
12-22-2013, 03:34 AM
That's one of the first things I looked at,the pinch grip recess was even left & right on my handle.Little shallow scratch in stainless pin.Minor,for the # of blades & tight timeline,think the L&G woodshop did alright.Randy do you know what kind of finish they put on the wood?

Keith Neal
12-22-2013, 07:15 AM
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/Kathryngyuto_zps09efb3e5.jpg (http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/nealkeith/media/Kathryngyuto_zps09efb3e5.jpg.html)

Lady Kathryn's knife looks superb. I'm sure she will be pleased. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Christmas for her to open it so I can use it!

Thanks for the nice custom touch, Randy, and for getting it here by Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Keith

RGNY
12-22-2013, 05:39 PM
diced some tomatoes, tomatillos and green onion tonight.

weird getting used to a light and flexible blade after my Global tank.

wishing the blade was about 1/2" wider, but i have long fingers / big hands......

HHH Knives
12-22-2013, 08:25 PM
diced some tomatoes, tomatillos and green onion tonight.

weird getting used to a light and flexible blade after my Global tank.

wishing the blade was about 1/2" wider, but i have long fingers / big hands......

AWESOME!! I chopped some wood from all the fallen trees from the ice storm. Still no power. running on generator. Thanks for sharing.
Randy

http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/Kathryngyuto_zps09efb3e5.jpg (http://s1132.photobucket.com/user/nealkeith/media/Kathryngyuto_zps09efb3e5.jpg.html)

Lady Kathryn's knife looks superb. I'm sure she will be pleased. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Christmas for her to open it so I can use it!

Thanks for the nice custom touch, Randy, and for getting it here by Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Keith

Thanks Keith. Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

RGNY
12-23-2013, 06:24 AM
oof. had one of those a couple years ago.

be well.

HHH Knives
12-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Still no power. :(

Im hopeful it will come back on today.. Yet not holding my breath.

Were safe and warm. and blessed with or without power!! :D

Thanks

steelcity
12-23-2013, 07:49 PM
#100 made it to Tampa today.

HHH Knives
12-24-2013, 12:51 AM
#100 made it to Tampa today.

Great news!! Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and possibly some pictures! :)

JackD
12-24-2013, 01:41 AM
#16 made it west across the US, despite apparently being lost by the USPS for several days in the middle. I'm not allowed to use it until Christmas, but I'll try to get back to you.

HHH Knives
12-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Good stuff Jack!! Glad it made it to ya safe and sound!! :cool2:

I have a picture from a fellow KKF member to share! Thanks Joe!! :pirate1:

NO ChoP!
12-25-2013, 12:36 PM

thanks!

Noticed some issues with mine as well. Asymmetrical scales. An actual chip in the corner of the handle towards the choil. Some gaps and exposed epoxy. Vertical scratches in the wood and pins.

Also not a fan of the printed logo.

And I received a different number than the one I ordered.

Lastly, the wood, at least mine, is very unimpressive....

Blade finish seems decent. Grind and profile also seem functional.

Eric
12-25-2013, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=NO ChoP!;270547]Noticed some issues with mine as well. Asymmetrical scales. An actual chip in the corner of the handle towards the choil. Some gaps and exposed epoxy. Vertical scratches in the wood and pins.

Blade finish seems decent. Grind and profile also seem functional.[/

Did you contact randy before posting this? Seems like you are in the vast minority.

NO ChoP!
12-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Well, six positive comments doesn't denote "vast".

And, it's honest feedback. At $250 for a production knife, I don't see it as a "bargain". Rather I feel I paid a premium for a factory production knife with the stamp of a quality maker, thinking it ensured a quality standard.

Having to break out files, CA glue and micromesh wasn't expected.

Should I have sent this privately? Obviously, I feel no. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just being honest about a product that is currently offered for sale.

cheflarge
12-25-2013, 05:24 PM
Number four in the house. More later with pics. Merry Christmas!!! Scales very nice! :)

Talim
12-25-2013, 07:13 PM
I didn't like the printed logo either. And now that people have pointed it out, there are some scuff/grind marks on the tang and the pins but those don't really bother me. The only gyuto that I have to compare it to is a Tanaka Blue#2 and right now I think the Tanaka cuts better. I'm not sure if it's because of ootb edge or the grind. I also seem to prefer Tanaka's profile especially when slicing. I'm gonna give it some more time though to get used to it and see if my preferences changes or not.

Eric
12-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Well, six positive comments doesn't denote "vast".

And, it's honest feedback. At $250 for a production knife, I don't see it as a "bargain". Rather I feel I paid a premium for a factory production knife with the stamp of a quality maker, thinking it ensured a quality standard.

Having to break out files, CA glue and micromesh wasn't expected.

Should I have sent this privately? Obviously, I feel no. Not trying to ruffle feathers, just being honest about a product that is currently offered for sale.

Fair enough, I guess what I meant to say is that you sound like an a@@

NO ChoP!
12-25-2013, 07:58 PM
Nice slinging mud, dude.

If I bought something off Amazon, I would give an honest review for other potential buyers to read; positives and negatives. Why is not acceptable to post that I think my handle finish is a bit sub-par?

Eric
12-25-2013, 08:09 PM
You are absolutely correct, I apologize.

NO ChoP!
12-25-2013, 08:21 PM
No harm, no foul.

split0101
12-25-2013, 09:49 PM
After having used mine for a few days, Iím happy with my purchase.

Few notes:

I ended up having to put it to the stones, the ootb edge was ok but I like them sharper. Also I wanted to see how AEB-L sharpens on my stones. I went through 1k, 4k, 8k and then stropped. Overall definitely did not sharpen as easy as carbon but the edge was solid and held up well. I'll use this another week or two to get more of a feel for it.
I agree with the scratches on the pins, mine has that a well, but no biggie for me.
My scales were very nice, my wife even commented that they looked good.
Now that people bring up the printed logo, I agree it could have been nicer.
No issues with the grind or profile.

I wonder if the F&F issues depended on when the blade was worked on. They might have hurried through fabrication at the end to get them out the door to Randy ASAP.

steelcity
12-25-2013, 11:42 PM
This is my first custom/semi-custom knife purchase. I selected this knife as my upgrade from a Suisin Inox Western gyuto. The knife feels nice in my hand and it's very light. Seems to have a nice edge right out of the box. I've noticed a couple F&F issues that others have mentioned as well. Some grinding marks on the tang/wood and on one of the pins. My handle has a nick/tiny gash on the one side which may just be from the nature of the wood itself. On the underside of the handle where your pinky would rest, there's a small bump due to a little uneven grind. I also noticed on my choil that it is kind of "S" shaped instead of my other knives which are more 90 degree angles.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/dinnibj0/IMG_20131225_221717_816.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dinnibj0/media/IMG_20131225_221717_816.jpg.html)
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/dinnibj0/IMG_20131225_221705_544.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dinnibj0/media/IMG_20131225_221705_544.jpg.html)
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/dinnibj0/IMG_20131225_221651_690.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dinnibj0/media/IMG_20131225_221651_690.jpg.html)
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll207/dinnibj0/IMG_20131225_221545_299.jpg (http://s289.photobucket.com/user/dinnibj0/media/IMG_20131225_221545_299.jpg.html)

jakuda
12-26-2013, 03:34 AM
The S shaped choil is common and tends to be more comfortable (even more so if the edges are rounded).

keithsaltydog
12-26-2013, 03:51 AM
I believe the S shape at the choil is the style of some of Randy's gyuto's.Honduran Rosewood can have gaps in the wood,many hardwoods & burlwoods have this characteristic.

I have seen some custom handles with little tearouts or resin filled gaps at the pins.All the pins on my blade are nice & tight.The scratches on the tang & pins,having done a # of western handles myself know how it happens.Sometimes I have left a few minor scratches,that I don't want to backup on the sanding to take out.Tho I have done it to make the handle as nice as I can.

For some reason I really like the tang shape of Randy's handles,quite sure L&G have never done this type of shape before,think the minor fit & finish issues are partially due to turn them out quickly.But again with the exception of a few pin scratches for a production handle,mine came out quite nice.I would not mind getting a few blanks of this blade that I could put my own handles on.

Got a Saya for it,done a bit of prep with it,no sharpening yet:)

mr drinky
12-26-2013, 02:44 PM
I am reserving judgement until I use mine a bit and sharpen it.

With that said, my handle came back with no F&F issues, in fact I was quite impressed by how LG finished off the handle. The handle wood was fine -- no figure at all though. I do need to round things off a bit, as the spine was somewhat uncomfortable for cutting I thought. The knife was also really light, but after checking it was the exact same weight as my Kikuichi TKC clone, so I guess I have been using heavier blades these days -- it's all relative I guess.

I would also echo No Chop's comment on value.

k.

HHH Knives
12-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Noticed some issues with mine as well. Asymmetrical scales. An actual chip in the corner of the handle towards the choil. Some gaps and exposed epoxy. Vertical scratches in the wood and pins.

Blade finish seems decent. Grind and profile also seem functional.

Thanks for the note.

I know how hard it is to make a knife that would meet or exceed everyone's cutting expectations, as well as fit and finish.
That said, I expected there to be many,many happy customers and a few not as happy. :( I want you to know, If you fall into the ladder of the two. I am easy to work with. Just shoot me a message. We will make it right. Shoot me a PM. Email. Phone call etc.. and I will address promptly, on a individual basis.

As stated here already. I did see some fit and finish issues. Most were small scratches on the handle, etc.
Yes.. There is room for improvement. I have spoken with L&G about and this. They assure me as we move forward the fit and finish will be better on all of the future knives offered. The one thing that I will say about L&G is they are really trying, refining there processes. There willing to change to meet our needs, requirements etc. That tells me they care. And speaks volumes about them and the owners. They assure me there gona be refining the steps and get these small thing fixed as we move forward..

Im not sure there is anything we could do different to the logo? Its laser etched not stamped or printed on. Yet am open to suggestions.. And I can ask L&G if or what options are available.

Numbers.. I had to adjusted this as needed to assure prompt delivery. Sorry you or anyone else didnt get the numbers you requested. My main concern was getting these shipped and delivered to as many people as possible B4 Christmas. I did my best..

Merry Christmas and God Bless you and yours
Randy

cheflarge
12-26-2013, 05:21 PM
http://killchin.com/k1.jpg
http://killchin.com/k2.jpg
http://killchin.com/k3.jpg
Although I did experience some of the cosmetic issues as others, they where easily remedied with a little steel wool and tung oil. I am extremely pleased with number four and have the same feelings as Salty (wouldn't mind a few blanks I could play with myself). Great job, Randy, considering the time, weather, shipping constraints, etc.

crunchy
12-27-2013, 01:50 AM
received #86 with minor f & f problems, but nothing I couldn't remedy in a few minutes. the scales were absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't find a better set of Honduran rosewood if I tried. I didn't really care for the stamp but really isn't an issue. after some love on the stones the knife was ready to tackle Christmas dinner. overall a great knife, thanks Randy.

mr drinky
12-27-2013, 02:00 AM
Cheflarge, your scales look amazing. They make mine look like a Ford Fiesta ;) Nice.

k.

crunchy
12-27-2013, 02:37 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/23hr2p2.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/9l8nlc.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/m9t06p.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/33bhcex.jpg

mr drinky
12-27-2013, 02:46 AM
Ok, crunchy yours are nice too.

k.

don
12-27-2013, 02:58 AM
#88 arrived before Christmas, and I was able to prepare a couple of meals with it.

The knife had fit and finish issues on the handle and the blade, similar to what others noted. I would also prefer a more rounded spine on the blade. Not what I'd expect from a knife at this price point, but it's not a show stopper. The beauty of the handle makes up for a lot though.

The knife performed quite well in my limited use. Grind worked well as there was little stiction on potatoes - whites on day and russets another. Carrots did not slow the knife down, but brussel sprouts and onions required a little more effort. However, it's very much inline with a non-laser knife.

Weight of the knife is mentioned a few times, and I too was initially surprised by lightness of the knife. That said, I actually enjoy its weight and found it very maneuverable as the result.

Overall, it's a solid knife, and one that I'll enjoy using. Thanks, Randy.

http://www.carblicious.com/images/hhh_240mm_aeb_l.jpg

cheflarge
12-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Super stoked with #4!!! After a few quick passes on the stones and a full shift at work. Huge fan of the handle, from a person that generally prefers Wa, it seems to get easier and easier to use. Ergonomically sound and a pleasure to use, blazed through all basic duties. I can certainly see additional HHH knives joining the arsenal! Bravo to you Randy Haas, you rule!!! *** HAPPY NEW YEAR*** :bonappetit::my2cents:

cheflarge
12-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Drinky, just saw your post. I'm extremely pleased with the entire package.

HHH Knives
12-27-2013, 11:44 PM
http://killchin.com/k1.jpg
http://killchin.com/k2.jpg
http://killchin.com/k3.jpg
Although I did experience some of the cosmetic issues as others, they where easily remedied with a little steel wool and tung oil. I am extremely pleased with number four and have the same feelings as Salty (wouldn't mind a few blanks I could play with myself). Great job, Randy, considering the time, weather, shipping constraints, etc.

Super stoked with #4!!! After a few quick passes on the stones and a full shift at work. Huge fan of the handle, from a person that generally prefers Wa, it seems to get easier and easier to use. Ergonomically sound and a pleasure to use, blazed through all basic duties. I can certainly see additional HHH knives joining the arsenal! Bravo to you Randy Haas, you rule!!! *** HAPPY NEW YEAR*** :bonappetit::my2cents:

Thanks Chef. Glad to hear the knife cuts well. ;)
Great photos thanks for posting..

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
12-27-2013, 11:47 PM
received #86 with minor f & f problems, but nothing I couldn't remedy in a few minutes. the scales were absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't find a better set of Honduran rosewood if I tried. I didn't really care for the stamp but really isn't an issue. after some love on the stones the knife was ready to tackle Christmas dinner. overall a great knife, thanks Randy.

Thanks for posting. Great photos. :) Glad to hear the knife is serving you well thus far.. :)

Enjoy.
Randy

Crothcipt
12-28-2013, 08:12 PM
ok got some shots from my phone.

http://cdn.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21232&thumb=1&d=1388275706

http://cdn.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21231&thumb=1&d=1388275698

http://cdn.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21230&thumb=1&d=1388275689

sorry for the bad cell phone pics.

skiajl6297
12-28-2013, 08:44 PM
#6. Big fan. Wife loves it. Some minor fit and finish issues, including a hammer mark on spine, some minor separation between scale and spine, some grind marks on the pins, and a few hairline cracks in the wood. Gave it a good polish and some handle oil and wax, as well as a few passes on the felt with Diamond for the edge, and it cuts well. Well balanced, even with minor cosmetic f&f issues, it is the nicest handle in our house. Very pleased, and wife loves it. Light knife but not a laser. Thanks for the hard work. Some pics follow:
http://i.imgur.com/J5CuQ8x.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uBrN3Vx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hh7mCrD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BTlTsMb.jpg

HHH Knives
12-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Thanks guys for the photos. :doublethumbsup:

Heres a few more shared with me from a friend and client :)

mr drinky
12-29-2013, 04:41 AM
The one thing I will say at this point is that I tried a couple of the earlier Richmond knives that came off of the Lamson Goodnow line, and it is easy to forget how far things have come. This HHH knife is so much better than previous 'factory' blades out of LG -- imo. I don't think it is perfect, bit I always know the Randy is thinking of ways to improve things too.

I got to use it for making a soup and A LOT of salad this weekend, and it performed admirably. It still needs a little bit of work, but it is nice to have knife makers dealing with this factory process

k.

HHH Knives
12-29-2013, 12:44 PM
K. Thanks for the note.. :D Your awesome!

God Bless
Randy

RGNY
12-29-2013, 02:13 PM
put it to work again today. trimming Brussels sprouts and dicing more tomatoes.

still wishing for a bit more width, but it's making a solid place for itself in the rotation.....

bahamaroot
12-30-2013, 12:12 AM
I'll just be happy when I get mine!:D

skiajl6297
12-30-2013, 09:32 AM
My wife did a bunch more prep with it yesterday and she is honestly thrilled with the knife. I really enjoyed using it for the brief periods I did, and my wife was so proud to have her own blade that looks sexy, performs strongly, was the right length for her (my 270's freak her out) and is stainless. I think she will never like a carbon knife due to maintenance, but she is all over this stainless. Again, Randy and company - great job. My wife is legitimately excited to have her very own knife to care for and go to without hesitation when opening the knife drawer. It is a looker too.

brianlsx
12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Finally after a long wait, 7 & 8 arrived safely in Singapore :)

First up, thank you Randy and team for putting in the time, effort and all for producing these knives.

So a little about the knives. Edge OOTB is decent but isn't insanely sharp, did a few cuts on tomatoes, onions etc at home and felt that it has better potential. Did not seem to have any wedging issues. Handle felt pretty comfortable on my hands, weight was also slight lighter than my few line knives (Hattori-KF240 and Hiromoto AS240) which I feel that it's not a bad point.

I will go through a few strokes on the stones once I get back to work and see if I could maximise its potential and see how it performs in an working environment.

I've got a few photos to post, so pardon me for the cellphone pics:

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131230_235917_zps3010330c.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131230_235917_zps3010330c.jpg.html)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131231_000550_zps9b12657d.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131231_000550_zps9b12657d.jpg.html)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131231_000026_zpsc807a00b.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131231_000026_zpsc807a00b.jpg.html)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131231_000615_zpsb50acb7d.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131231_000615_zpsb50acb7d.jpg.html)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131231_000502_zps99c53705.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131231_000502_zps99c53705.jpg.html)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131231_000007_zps097197ac.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131231_000007_zps097197ac.jpg.html)
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag40/brianlsx/20131231_000334_zps8bdfe6ab.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/brianlsx/media/20131231_000334_zps8bdfe6ab.jpg.html)

Once again thank you randy and team!

HHH Knives
12-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Finally after a long wait, 7 & 8 arrived safely in Singapore :)

First up, thank you Randy and team for putting in the time, effort and all for producing these knives.

So a little about the knives. Edge OOTB is decent but isn't insanely sharp, did a few cuts on tomatoes, onions etc at home and felt that it has better potential. Did not seem to have any wedging issues. Handle felt pretty comfortable on my hands, weight was also slight lighter than my few line knives (Hattori-KF240 and Hiromoto AS240) which I feel that it's not a bad point.

I will go through a few strokes on the stones once I get back to work and see if I could maximise its potential and see how it performs in an working environment.

Once again thank you randy and team!

Glad to hear they made it all the way to ya! Thanks so much for the update!!

God Bless
Randy

HHH Knives
12-30-2013, 01:41 PM
My wife did a bunch more prep with it yesterday and she is honestly thrilled with the knife. I really enjoyed using it for the brief periods I did, and my wife was so proud to have her own blade that looks sexy, performs strongly, was the right length for her (my 270's freak her out) and is stainless. I think she will never like a carbon knife due to maintenance, but she is all over this stainless. Again, Randy and company - great job. My wife is legitimately excited to have her very own knife to care for and go to without hesitation when opening the knife drawer. It is a looker too.

Great update. Glad shes lovin it!!

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
12-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Just a quick update on these. Yes there are still a few of the 100 numbered knives that are available. They have been shipped to me and tracking says I will get them this week Thursday.

We are also working to finalize the details for a second round of 240's as well as 3 other knife designs. Starting with a Wa handle 200mm line knife I call the Midway.. I think you all will like! :doublethumbsup: Ill start a new thread once these details are locked in and we have a expected delivery date. Im shooting for B4 Easter.. :scratchhead:

Lastly, I just made the last of the numbered knives available on my web site. (http://www.hhhcustomknives.com/240mm-aeb-l-gyutochef-knife-pre-buy/) at the pre buy price... :thumbsup:

Thanks so much to everyone for your support and encouragement and making this first run a successful mission! :cool2:
God Bless
Randy

jakuda
12-31-2013, 12:47 AM
Are the spines and choil rounded? Your listing on your website says so but I don't think mine are.

WildBoar
12-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Spines/ choil were not rounded on mine. I'll probably tackle that myself, as it makes the knife a little uncomfortable for me.

HHH Knives
12-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Hello and Happy New Year!! :D

After talking to a number of members here and talking in great detail with L&G about the F&F on these I want to say this.

Im sorry about any issues on any of these. I am doing everything I know to do to fix any problems and would like to offer to repair and or round off the spine and choil for ya.

The spine and choil were suppose to be relieved/rounded. Yet some were not as well done as others. and the F&F overall from L&G was not up to snuff.
Im not making excuses here BUT.. Had I not been under the gun to deliver these B4 Christmas. And feeling like there would of been ALOT of people who were counting on these being under the Christmas tree. The choice to send them out is something I will have to live with. and may not be my best decision of 2013.

I have beat up L&G and told them in no uncertain terms that this stuff is unacceptable. They assure me They are and have fixed the F&F issues on there side and that the remaining knives in this batch are right. I chewed The owner out BIGTIME!! and he personally said hes gona make sure there are no more problems like this.

The one thing I STRESSED to L&G was the blade grinds. They got that right. :) The knives cut GREAT!!

Believe me when I say.. The F&F issues are being addressed.

Let me know if you would like to return the knife and I will repair any problems and promptly send it back to ya. Best way to do this is through EMail. or PM :thumbsup: Im gona extend this option for return until Jan 25th.

God Bless YA!!
Randy

rdmalak
12-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Got mine today! I love the handle and the OOTB edge so far. It's surprisingly sharp.

It does have a few sanding issues present still but the biggest thing for me is that the edge has a small concave at the point where it transitions from flat to curved but that will sharpen out with time.

Very pleased! Thank you for your hard work Randy!

HHH Knives
01-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Awesome the knife made it to ya. :) Thank you and Happy New Years!

God Bless
Randy

HHH Knives
01-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Photo from a friend. :thumbsup:

Hes loving his new knife.

tomsch
01-04-2014, 01:21 PM
I bought mine as a user and to be honest really didn't notice any F&F issues. Probably not at the level as some other knives but from a balance and feel this knife is great! Very easy to become comfortable with. I'm not a chef but just a home cook that has a knife in my hand every day so it is important that I can feel comfortable to prep dinner quickly without removing any digits. This knife fits the bill perfectly.

Talim
01-04-2014, 05:20 PM
The logo on mine is starting to fade away. I only wash it with a sponge and then wiped with kitchen towel to dry. Also some rust have shown up when I leave the knife on the cutting board wet. It was minor though which was easily taken care of with bkf.

HHH Knives
01-04-2014, 10:10 PM
I bought mine as a user and to be honest really didn't notice any F&F issues. Probably not at the level as some other knives but from a balance and feel this knife is great! Very easy to become comfortable with. I'm not a chef but just a home cook that has a knife in my hand every day so it is important that I can feel comfortable to prep dinner quickly without removing any digits. This knife fits the bill perfectly.

Tomsch, Awesome to hear. I have been using mine almost every day, and the more I use it. The more I love it! Thanks for the note. :thumbsup:

The logo on mine is starting to fade away. I only wash it with a sponge and then wiped with kitchen towel to dry. Also some rust have shown up when I leave the knife on the cutting board wet. It was minor though which was easily taken care of with bkf.

Talim, After reading your post, I took mine and used a green scotch bright pad. One that I use in the shop to hand sand when etching damascus. Its similar to the green scroungy you see in kitchens to do dishes..
Anyways. I scrubbed and worked on the logo for about 3 minutes with soap and water. Then added some Comet cleanser and scrubbed for another couple of minutes.. until my fingers hurt from scrubbing the logo. I had the knife laying flat on my cutting board.. So I was able to really put some elbow grease into it. More then anyone EVER would need to use to wash a knife.. The makers mark did not change. Its exactly the same as when I started. Black and crisp.

If your having issues.. Shoot me a private message, email, or phone call and lets see if we can rectify the situation.:wink:

Talim
01-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Talim, After reading your post, I took mine and used a green scotch bright pad. One that I use in the shop to hand sand when etching damascus. Its similar to the green scroungy you see in kitchens to do dishes..
Anyways. I scrubbed and worked on the logo for about 3 minutes with soap and water. Then added some Comet cleanser and scrubbed for another couple of minutes.. until my fingers hurt from scrubbing the logo. I had the knife laying flat on my cutting board.. So I was able to really put some elbow grease into it. More then anyone EVER would need to use to wash a knife.. The makers mark did not change. Its exactly the same as when I started. Black and crisp.

If your having issues.. Shoot me a private message, email, or phone call and lets see if we can rectify the situation.:wink:

It's not really that big of a deal, just reporting stuff that I found. I used the wrong word, it's not fading but more like flaking off. Whatever black stuff they used for the logo, parts of it has flaked off so that all you see is shiny metal.

HHH Knives
01-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Im not saying your wrong, just that I could not replicate it, even trying excessively. The marks are laser etched and should not flake off.

PM invound

rdm_magic
01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Mine arrived a few days ago. Haven't had chance to use it yet, but I can't echo the comments on the f&f. It seems fine to me, although the spine and choil could do with a little work. I'll report back when I've used it with some more info, but the solid on the declared value was much appreciated.

bahamaroot
01-05-2014, 05:39 PM
It's not really that big of a deal, just reporting stuff that I found. I used the wrong word, it's not fading but more like flaking off. Whatever black stuff they used for the logo, parts of it has flaked off so that all you see is shiny metal.
How about a picture, out of curiosity.

Crothcipt
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Randy I went looking at the knife and comparing between others that have used L and G to make their knives. I am impressed by many differences I had noticed in the past that you seemed to have gone a different direction. Instead of using a hollow edge to cut costs, you used a beveled edge. The distal taper is very slight which I have yet to see with knives they have done. (I don't know if this is from the manufacture or from the main company) These few things put your knife heads and tails over others that I have tried, even for more money. As far as F&F issues I have seen the same problems on those too. I am very happy with my purchase, and wont be giving this one away like I did the others.

Notaskinnychef
01-05-2014, 07:43 PM
Big up for Randy working hard to make the hiccups right. Great communication and been really good working with him on this. Can't wait to see the final product.

rdmalak
01-05-2014, 08:02 PM
After a few days of use, I still reach for it first when I go for a knife. Loving it!!

steelcity
01-07-2014, 08:47 AM
Randy took care of my knife in no time at all. Everything looks great now.

HHH Knives
01-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Randy took care of my knife in no time at all. Everything looks great now.

Glad your pleased! Enjoy the knife. I know it will serve you well! :D

Blessings
Randy

HHH Knives
01-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Mine arrived a few days ago. Haven't had chance to use it yet, but I can't echo the comments on the f&f. It seems fine to me, although the spine and choil could do with a little work. I'll report back when I've used it with some more info, but the solid on the declared value was much appreciated.

Thanks much for the update. Glad it arrived safe and in a timely fashion.. Looking forward to the update.

God Bless
Randy

HHH Knives
01-07-2014, 06:53 PM
All of the knives ordered have been shipped! Thanks everyone!

I still have a few of these in rosewood. I went over then and reworked the handles, spines and pins on them etc. There ready to find a home!!

Anyone interested in a knife message me or email. I can shoot a photo of the knives currently available and you can select yours. :)

The winners of the HHH 240mm Gyuto GIVEAWAY can expect them to arrives very soon. Congrats and enjoy!

Twischerman
01-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Where can these be bought;)))

HHH Knives
01-08-2014, 05:23 PM
There is a link in my signature line to the web page where they can be purchased. :)

Thanks
Randy

Paradox
01-10-2014, 02:11 AM
I have had mine for a bit more than a week now. Made a couple of meals and a big batch of soup. This thing is a cutter! No F&F issues whatsoever either. The knife was perfect right out of the box. Did a great job on soup veggies, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, parsnip, cabbage, kale, and even smoked sausage that went in too.

It goes really nice with my parer even. ;) An outstanding value, A+.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/sjw800/20140109_114729_zpsb84828b3.jpg

HHH Knives
01-10-2014, 09:20 PM
Thats a great looking pair right there!!

Thanks for sharing the photo and I am happy to hear your 240 is serving you well!!

Blessings
Randy

bahamaroot
01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Got my HHH Knives 240mm AEB-L today. Think it's going to be a great knife! Very comfortable
handle, nice profile and looks like a nice grind.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2unvswm.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/28gvzq1.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/28710kl.jpg

If I had a complaint it would be some of the surface scratches on both faces for a new knife,
but hey, after the first time I sharpen this thing I'm sure it will be scratched all to hell!:thumbsup:

http://i44.tinypic.com/inzkwl.jpg

Thanks Randy for your hard work and more for your generosity, this is one of the giveaway knives!

Chef Andy
01-14-2014, 05:20 PM
Just got my knife. It looks amazing, no f&f issues at all, and it is super sharp OOTB.

Super excited to use it for dinner tonight!

NO ChoP!
01-16-2014, 08:47 AM
After Randy addressed my issues I am much happier with my purchase.

I would call it a western laser, as it cuts like a dream. Stiction with hard root veg and squash wasn't great, but with slicing and dicing, and even skinning fish, it excelled.

The blade still has some very minute warpage, but not at all noticeable in use, just under my discerning eye. I'm guessing L&G machinery hasn't ground this thin before....

HHH Knives
01-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the updates.

Laser you say. HHH Laser? Thats something I am not use to hearing. yet in this case. Ill take it.,

The grinds on these are really not intended to be laser. Yet they are designed to cut!! and cut well.

God Bless YA
Randy

CoqaVin
01-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Hey Randy,
I am very pleased with the HHH Aeb-L you sold me it really cuts like a wonder used it for prepping Guacamole and a scallop dinner on night as well and worked like a charm people were impressed with it...

Only thing though there is a crack in the handle not to big at all and the wood on the handle seems a little dull anyway to spruce this up or fix the crack?

HHH Knives
01-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Coqavin. Glad the knife is preforming well for ya. Message sent in regards to the handle. :)

OK. so these are a special batch of 240s. With some amazing stabilized handle materials. Some Aussie burls and exotic materials!!

I will be taking some images of each knife and handle and posting them on the web page SOON!!!!
If ya see one ya really like. shoot me a email or message.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Custom%20knives/specialdeliveryHHHproduction001800x533.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/HHHKnives/media/HHH%20Custom%20knives/specialdeliveryHHHproduction001800x533.jpg.html)ht tp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Custom%20knives/specialdeliveryHHHproduction012800x533.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/HHHKnives/media/HHH%20Custom%20knives/specialdeliveryHHHproduction012800x533.jpg.html)ht tp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Custom%20knives/specialdeliveryHHHproduction022800x533.jpg (http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/HHHKnives/media/HHH%20Custom%20knives/specialdeliveryHHHproduction022800x533.jpg.html)

marc4pt0
01-18-2014, 01:36 AM
Man there are quite a few in the mix that just look absolutely stunning. You've been busy, Haas!

Chef Andy
01-18-2014, 08:18 AM
The 12th one from the left looks absolutely amazing. Well they all look good, but that one in particular.

Chefu
01-18-2014, 08:38 AM
Beautiful handles! Randy, why do a few of them only have 2 rivets?

HHH Knives
01-18-2014, 01:37 PM
The ones with only 2 pins are Mosaics. Like these with African Blackwood!

rogue108
01-19-2014, 08:10 PM
I just got my HHH 240 Gyuto off the B/S/T and prepared dinner with it. The knife cuts well and the handle is comfortable. There is a little bit of stiction with squash. It's a great looking knife especially with the Rosewood handle, however this one suffers from some of the fit and finish issue as the others. The spine and choil were not rounded and there is a crack in the wood coming middle stainless pin on the right side of the blade. Nothing a little work won't cure.

http://i.imgur.com/R6KZiVY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RywuWba.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hf4nin4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UvNmbkV.jpg

jvanis
01-19-2014, 09:33 PM
Every time I use this knife, I fall just a little deeper in love with it. This is quickly becoming my go-to knife. French Onion soup tonight was a breeze. I may have to get on your list for a custom order!

http://jvanistri.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/20140119_162531.jpg
http://jvanistri.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/20140119_165911.jpg
http://jvanistri.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/20140119_175751.jpg

jeff1
01-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Tracking shows mine landed in aus this morning. So fingers crossed tomorrow night I'll be chopping everything in sight

jeff1
01-21-2014, 06:36 AM
I assume everyone here when they get a new knife does what I did tonight. That is, start chopping veg, wafer thin slicing, julienne, fine dice and anything else you feel like. Then like me I assume everyone realises that it's been 2 hours, you were supposed to be making dinner and you've chopped enough veg for 4 people when you only have to cook for yourself tonight. That's normal right?

Talim
01-21-2014, 11:46 AM
I assume everyone here when they get a new knife does what I did tonight. That is, start chopping veg, wafer thin slicing, julienne, fine dice and anything else you feel like. Then like me I assume everyone realises that it's been 2 hours, you were supposed to be making dinner and you've chopped enough veg for 4 people when you only have to cook for yourself tonight. That's normal right?

That's perfectly normal...at least in kkf.

HHH Knives
01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
lol :) yep. sounds about right. ;)

jeff1
01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Anyone sharpened one of these yet. Just from using it compared to my other aeb-l gyuto (brand not to be named) this feels like it will benefit from a higher grit finish than the 1000 chosera i'm using on my other knives. Good excuse for a new stone really. Any thoughts?

HHH Knives
01-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Jeff. I have found that I get great results from this Suehiro Rika 5000x

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Suehiro-Rika-5000x-5k-sharpening-stone-p/suerika5k.htm

Crothcipt
01-22-2014, 02:55 AM

I would do this way to many times. So now I go to the store every day b4 dinner, and only get what I need for the night. Gl with eating all that.

jeff1
01-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks Randy but it looks like they only ship to U.S.

HHH Knives
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Sorry about that Jeff. Maybe someone else will chime it. If I were you I would GOOGLE it! :)

Paradox
01-25-2014, 10:28 PM
French Onion Soup, soon to be. ;)

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/sjw800/20140125_175624_zps5e2f8a0a.jpg

bahamaroot
01-25-2014, 10:54 PM
Used mine again tonight to prep supper and as jvanis said "Every time I use this knife, I fall just a little deeper in love with it."
Thanks Randy for a great knife at a superb price!

http://i42.tinypic.com/w7eh06.jpg

HHH Knives
01-26-2014, 04:30 PM
AWESOME!!! Glad you guys are diggin on the 240's!! All this Onion soup talk in making me hungry!

jvanis
01-26-2014, 07:25 PM
love the idea of using 2 types of onions, going to give that a shot next time. Love the 3 buck Chuck as well... whatever gets it done!

Paradox
01-27-2014, 09:37 PM
love the idea of using 2 types of onions, going to give that a shot next time. Love the 3 buck Chuck as well... whatever gets it done!

I actually used shallots, red onion, white onion, and sweet onion. Here it's 2-1/2 buck Chuck. :cool:

chefpaulm
02-02-2014, 01:53 PM
My somewhat new gyuto #75 from Randy. When I received my gyuto I did the mental checklist thing. 1. Fit and finish was good and still is. 2. Good geometry on blade, 3. A tad light in the hand not a major problem, 4. Handle very slick, wet hand before using works like a charm. 5. Blade a little too flexible but not a deal breaker. 6. Checked the edgeÖNot bad actually impressive not overly toothy. This steel, AEB-L I have never heard of it before. I checked out the composition of the metal and I have to tell you I wasnít overly impressed. I thought I was gonna act like a crappy 440B. I am forever looking for the Holy Grail.
But to the kitchen I went and started doing precision cuts. After wringing the knife out for two days the edge seemed a bit off to me. I thought this was normal and was to be expected. This is in no a negative reflection on Randy. Like most chefs we have our own idea of what edge works best for us in our hand. For me a slight chisel edge works best (I find that with a 50-50 it tends to mash the product after the initial razor edge). A few strokes on a 1200 eze lap diamond, a few more on hard Arkansas and a few on a surgical black. On to Mizuyama 5000 grit and we are up and running. OK you got my attention. Iím a believer. This steel rocks. My biggest problem will be getting it back from my son when he comes home from college (He graduated CIA and is finishing up hospitality at Drexel in PA.) Keep up the great work Randy!

chefpaulm
02-02-2014, 04:17 PM
It's working well! :happymug:

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag470/chefpaulm1/hhhgyuto_zps7ebdc442.jpg

HHH Knives
02-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Great to hear Chef. Thanks for the update. and post! I will share your picture here.

When I first looking at AEB-L I was less then impressed with the specs of the steel But after using and sharpening the stuff. I thought it worthy of testing further. So after many tests, and without getting into the science behind WHY it works as well as it does. I am happy to say AEB-L Stainless ROCKS! Possibly the ultimate Stainless for kitchen knives! I think it acts and feels alot like a great Carbon steel. Both on the stones. as well as how the edge feels and acts! With the attributes of Stainless steel. And thats one of the reasons I chose it for these knives.

Stay Sharp!
Randy

chefpaulm
02-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Randy Thanks for the help!:thumbsup:

HHH Knives
02-02-2014, 06:52 PM
My pleasure chef. I also wanted to say Congrats to you and your son. Thats a great accomplishment. :D Im sure your very proud.

God Bless
Randy

chefpaulm
02-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Randy Thanks for the kind words!

tomsch
03-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Now that these knives are out there and in everyone's hands how is everyone enjoying the 240mm AEB-L gyuto? I personally have been using it quite a bit and has turned into my go-to knife for general prep work. Keep in mind I am only a home cook but I do experiment quite a bit and have a knife in my hand every day for dinner prep. So far it has been great after a little touch-up on the stones. There is still some general sticking on starches but overall the balance makes it feel and handle like a 210mm. I can fly through dinner prep without the fear of losing a finger along the way.

cheflarge
03-07-2014, 12:41 PM
I have two of them & have to say they are my favorite, "go to" knife. Extremely comfortable in hand (minimum fatigue), holds edge, minimal sticktion, a true pleasure to use! Props to Randy on producing a genuine culinary tool.

I know Randy took quite a beating on these knives, which I think was unwarranted. I think these knives could of sold for twice the price.

HHH Knives
03-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey, Thanks guys for the mini reviews and info. I have received many emails or PM's I am pleased with the response and input on these. and how they preform.

There were a few small fit and finish issues. That have been addressed and fixed. That said. these beings a first run. and my first production anything. I think we nailed it because the knives cut and preform above my expectations! To me thats what its all about. Making and or offering a great cutting tool.

Just a little more info. These have been so well received I am planning on a second batch of them. AND. Im working on a new batch of knives with L&G and proto typing a couple other knife designs to see where I will go next with the HHH Production chef knives!

Thanks to one and all!
Randy

tomsch
03-22-2014, 11:35 PM
Great news Randy! I had to put away all my knives except for one because we have has a 2 year old in the house. The one I picked to use exclusively was the HHH. Such a great knife!

29palms
04-10-2014, 09:09 AM
A wonderful western style gyuto. These really take a great edge and it holds up very well and it's very nimble for its size. My "All American" mag bar is populated with Carter, Devin, Ealy, Fowler, and HHH and it's like eeni meeni miny, moe who's getting a work out today? Great production knife Randy. :doublethumbsup:

HHH Knives
04-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Great news Randy! I had to put away all my knives except for one because we have has a 2 year old in the house. The one I picked to use exclusively was the HHH. Such a great knife!

A wonderful western style gyuto. These really take a great edge and it holds up very well and it's very nimble for its size. My "All American" mag bar is populated with Carter, Devin, Ealy, Fowler, and HHH and it's like eeni meeni miny, moe who's getting a work out today? Great production knife Randy. :doublethumbsup:

Im super stoked to hear you guys are digging the Production chef knives! Thanks for the update!!

I have only a couple of these 240's left. Its time to move them out and help offset the costs of the floor coverings for the new HHH world headquarters.. ;)

Stay tuned for announcement/Post with pricing info. and how to get in on the SALE.

Blessings!